How to Play the O-I/Kaiju?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SirDerp-a-lot #1 Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 55733 battles
  • [GER_1]

(Note: I don't actually own the O-I, just the Kaiju. No derp gun for me.)

The tank can be hilarious at times, but in most games it's either ineffective or just a victim.

Could you give any advice on how to play this tank, especially when it's bottom-tier?

mer0u1 #2 Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

Staff sergeant

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 32373 battles

View Postkorbendallas-01, on 28 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

(Note: I don't actually own the O-I, just the Kaiju. No derp gun for me.)

The tank can be hilarious at times, but in most games it's either ineffective or just a victim.

Could you give any advice on how to play this tank, especially when it's bottom-tier?

Well, it can seem pretty weird but Kaiju and O-I are to be played differently, even if they share most of their parts. O-I has to be played with the 152mm, while Kaiju has the 100mm gun by default, which has a better rate of fire and penetration but deals less damage.

The problem with both tanks comes from their nerfed armor since some updates now. So, you're slow in both case and can't really rely on your armor to protect yourself from most tier VI to VII guns.

Most players think because it is huge and seems heavily armored that you need to play with it in first line, which still can be efficient in some situations (especially in urban environments), but you'll eventually find that it is worthless and useless, unless you angle it a bit to improve the its frontal armor. And even angled, its frontal plate, right under the turret is not angled enough to make shells bounce. Moreover, its sides are easily penetrated with any shell, included explosive ones. Both turrets on its front are lures and weak spots at the same time. The main turret shares the same thickness so they can all be penetrated with +140mm pen shells, which are quite common in tier VI. So the upper part of the tank is more a less its weakness.

I don't mention artilleries because you're just a piece of cake to them since you're sluggish when moving. And, because both tanks are tall and huge, smallest tanks can stick to them and shooting at their side while O-I/Kaiju just can't always aim at them, even with 10mm gun depression. The only option, in that particular situation, is to crush them against a wall or a boulder (when it is possible).

The O-I with 152mm gun is more lethal because you can one shot a lot of tanks if you know their weak spots, KV-2 being easily trolled if shot in its turret. And considering O-I is not that armored, you must deal with any opponent as fast as possible to get a chance for survival. Of course, you first have to remove all AP to only use HE shells.

When bottom tier, you need to stay right behind other heavies, to provide support, because you'll unfortunately just be a victim. O-I can deal with higher tier tanks more easily than Kaiju, thanks to the 152mm. And, even if you don't do high damage, you can harm modules or crew. Tracking any enemy is pretty common with O-I when playing with 152mm, and can be really useful to get assist points. In every case, you must stick with your allies, mainly other heavies and mediums.

One thing which can be really useful to quickly deal with an opponent when reloading is that they're really heavy so ramming is not just an option but a must-do. And you'll find situations when this is really helpful, and funny, to finish an enemy, whatever kind of tank he is. Even if they're slow, they can deal a huge amount of damage, just by ramming.

A small advice, which goes for most heavies, when you play with O-I/Kaiju, try to always have one of your side covered/protected, so you'll only have to deal with threats coming from the other side.

I recently played a game in my Kaiju with around 3000 damage dealt and around 2000 damage blocked. But I was top tier, with a great matchmaking... and I had some pretty good teammates who helped me a lot.

Edited by mer0u1, 28 October 2018 - 09:31 PM.

"Do or do not. There is no try!"

Blossomy_Hippo #3 Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7576 battles
  • [ALPI]
Hmmm it's pretty bad at the moment, even tier 5 can pen it from the front with regular ammo, albeit not reliably and not if you angle (can't angle the tiddies tho). i guess just reverse sidecrape as much possible to bait shots, although the turret is pretty weak too.

Edited by Blossomy_Hippo, 28 October 2018 - 09:45 PM.

*PS4 Stats*

SirDerp-a-lot #4 Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 55733 battles
  • [GER_1]
Thank you guys, I will keep it in mind when I next get into the Kaiju!

Ragyoo #5 Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26999 battles

Hello,

The Kaiju has always been my favorite tank. I also love to play arty, so I know where to position and how to jiggle/wiggle to troll the arty players. Most of time they miss, but lots of time they hit if I get out walking on the sunny part of the street. If you manage to crawl from one arty shadow zone to another arty shadow zone, you're still alive in the moneytime. And if the arty is gone by the endgame, you win if toptier.

I equip it with optics, rammer and VS, in order to play as a sniper most of time. It is not a tanking tank. Exception when it comes to ramming because it can deal 400+ damage to a KV-150 in one bump given you had enough momentum.

It's a good tank because it's sluggish it will teach how to read a map carefully, count the red dots, mitigate or even balance the lemming train effect.

And for those failing to realize it's not made to assault the frontline, there's an entire mountain of darwin awards to be attributed to them.

Anyway the 300+ damage guaranteed piercing gun is what makes this tank fun to be played.

killer etzi0 #6 Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58888 battles
  • [47R]

I don't know about everyone else but I apperciate the OI/Kaiju driver that turns/keeps the side of his tanks facing me. :P

On a serious note, the reason it's "hit and miss" is more due to the players on the red team knowing where to shoot those 2 tanks vs using auto lock.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

Ragyoo #7 Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26999 battles
And tanks for not publicising where to shoot :hiding:

XT356 #8 Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10539 battles
  • [DNTCR]

View PostRagyoo, on 01 November 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

And tanks for not publicising where to shoot :hiding:

You mean the giant sides and rear? Kinda hard to miss. 
“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

LacqueredBacon #9 Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35292 battles

With the Kaiju, my first step in every game is to press the A button.  After that I try to stay with other heavies as a group.  If I am high tier, I try to take the lead.  If I am low tier, I try to play support.

That advice doesn't really apply to the O-I though.  First, you wouldn't want to load premium in the O-I as a general rule because there is no silver bonus.  But most importantly, and you already noted this, the best gun in the O-I is the derp anyway.

StillLifeSkull #10 Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23488 battles
Just drive the O-I long enough to get to the O-Ni, then get the "late" gun. Japanese tanks move up with fewer points so it works well and the O-Ni is a much better tank to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users