Oh c'mon

Mercenary Honesty

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Knot3D #1 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22828 battles

Scrub to the 20:58 minutes mark and listen to the wonderful truth of Mercenaries origins ;

paraphrasing: 

"Merc subject has been around for a while even before 2018- no one knew or expressed clearly (forums included) what it could be - Mercs just sound cool" 

Really guys !? 

Nuke2099 #2 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19575 battles
  • [KMD]
From a clan member who went to one of their events I got told that they wanted to add it in since launch and they didn't want to be known as just WoT console. Because they had to feel special. 
lQqtvt1.gif

Knot3D #3 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22828 battles

View PostNuke2099, on 08 November 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

From a clan member who went to one of their events I got told that they wanted to add it in since launch and they didn't want to be known as just WoT console. Because they had to feel special. 

That's scary....

But aside from that, what irks me... is that he talks about it as IF, the forum did not epress some sort of consensus on what a proper Mercenary tree could be.  

It's indicative of them saying they listen to us, but in fact they do the exact opposite.

FuzzySquirrel21 #4 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:40 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 9969 battles
They thought it was “cool” but the player base did not.

New WoT goals and Thank you WG for providing a game for me to yolo in!

1.   Hit 40% Winrate (highest winrate 60.30%) (Current Winrate 59.66)

2.   Hit sub 400 wn8 (highest wn8 3242.36) (Current wn8 3231.13)

3.   Yolo my way to FV215b 183

4.   being the best at being the worst is still being the best! 

R35T NO MORE #5 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14255 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostFuzzySquirrel21, on 08 November 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

They thought it was “cool” but the player base did not.

Anyone who thinks doing something is "cool" usually just end up making a tit of themselves. They wanted to make cool tanks and we got tanks that look like a 5 year old designed them. 

Not a single merc in my garage, nor will their ever be as things stand. Still can't believe they renamed the game after its worst addition. 

Credit to Violet viper for my sig.

R35T NO MORE #6 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:53 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14255 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostKnot3D, on 08 November 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

Scrub to the 20:58 minutes mark and listen to the wonderful truth of Mercenaries origins ;

paraphrasing: 

"Merc subject has been around for a while even before 2018- no one knew or expressed clearly (forums included) what it could be - Mercs just sound cool" 

Really guys !? 

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/79904-jocos-take-on-the-merc-tech-tree/page__hl__merc%20line%20ideas#topmost

^ 2015. Plain English isn't "expressed clearly" it seems to WG. 

RC Landon 027 #7 Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

Live Ops Producer

• Developers
  • 3716 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostKnot3D, on 08 November 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

paraphrasing: 

Really guys !? 

Lol, he gives the forums credit.  He says Mercenaries has been <batted around> (he says some other word that I can't make out) for long time both in the forums and internally.  He says we never really knew what it meant (which we didn't).  Could it be a line made of rogue tanks that didn't really merit a whole nation?  Was it blueprint tanks (about 20 premiums to late for that)?  Was it a ragtag mash up of tanks from a bunch of different nations?

He's not saying we created the concept, he's saying that we didn't know which concept to pursue until 2018.  That year we said, let'd do Mercenaries and that's just the year we figured out which concept we wanted to pursue and how.

I don't know if that makes sense now that I read it back to myself.

R35T NO MORE #8 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:02 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14255 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostRC Landon 027, on 08 November 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

Lol, he gives the forums credit.  He says Mercenaries has been <batted around> (he says some other word that I can't make out) for long time both in the forums and internally.  He says we never really knew what it meant (which we didn't).  Could it be a line made of rogue tanks that didn't really merit a whole nation?  Was it blueprint tanks (about 20 premiums to late for that)?  Was it a ragtag mash up of tanks from a bunch of different nations?

He's not saying we created the concept, he's saying that we didn't know which concept to pursue until 2018.  That year we said, let'd do Mercenaries and that's just the year we figured out which concept we wanted to pursue and how.

I don't know if that makes sense now that I read it back to myself.

It makes sense. Picked the wrong concept though imho. WoT playerbase is mainly older players. Playing 20th Century tanks is what would have drawn most here. Not these made up things. 

It gives you guys the opportunity to re-use assets and come up with "new" tanks without having to spend time/resources researching potentially rare tanks, and from a business point of view i get it, but as a fan of tanks and what the game once was, not so much. 

Rarefication #9 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17924 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 08 November 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

Anyone who thinks doing something is "cool" usually just end up making a tit of themselves. They wanted to make cool tanks and we got tanks that look like a 5 year old designed them. 

Not a single merc in my garage, nor will their ever be as things stand. Still can't believe they renamed the game after its worst addition. 

Yes exactly. To each their own, but never will there be a merc in my garage. I just have zero desire when it comes to the merc fad. 

Knot3D #10 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22828 battles

View PostRC Landon 027, on 08 November 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Lol, he gives the forums credit.  

Besides the point. No one's really here for bragging rights.

Players on the forums have expressed and formulated (throughout dozens of threads) quite a clear idea what could be a proper and fun mercenary tree - see R35T's post.

The roundtable makes it sound as if all of that, was either not existent OR they did not hear it.                    Then it goes on how well they listened to the forums. Really now? 

* Just finished the video:  They close off with the joke "Expect even less from us in 2019"

That's maybe the only honest straightforward thing I've heard in the entire video.

R35T NO MORE #11 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14255 battles
  • [BNKR-]
Just a quick thing to add, your interaction with the forum is great to see Landon. Can't be easy, some of us (myself included) can be difficult, but communication between players and staff is important, be it praise or critism. 

SeagullOfEvil #12 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12134 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 08 November 2018 - 11:02 PM, said:

It gives you guys the opportunity to re-use assets and come up with "new" tanks without having to spend time/resources researching potentially rare tanks, and from a business point of view i get it, but as a fan of tanks and what the game once was, not so much. 

This is probably the biggest reason why I hate the mercenary tanks, it just looks like it a tree that was designed to cost as little time, effort and resources for the development team as possible. None of the tanks look interesting or new.

2/3 Marked Tanks

Spoiler

CostlessSun07 #13 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:15 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21440 battles

I am about to add my third merc tank to my garage.  None of them have been kitted out for battle or have ever left the garage.  The merc tanks mean very little to me because the offer no historical or realistic context to the game.  They are pure fantasy.

I do enjoy the rewards however that go along with the contracts if they are achievable and do not hurt the level of gameplay.  One of the stages for a tier VII heavy for example, paid out around 533,000 silver for completion.  Not a bad payout for just playing the game.  i really do think the developers are starting to figure it out now, it was something they really wanted to work and jumped completely in on the concept.  Sometimes its hard to realize mistakes when you really believe in something.  Ultimately, profit will prove them right or wrong despite all the ideas from the forum.

Edited by CostlessSun07, 08 November 2018 - 11:17 PM.

R35T NO MORE #14 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:17 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 14255 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View PostSeagullOfEvil, on 08 November 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

This is probably the biggest reason why I hate the mercenary tanks, it just looks like it a tree that was designed to cost as little time, effort and resources for the development team as possible. None of the tanks look interesting or new.

There aren't many of them (WGCB staff) so that is probably it. It does make sense to do in a way, especially if the WG parent company is being a bit tight with the budget. However they don't fit in with the game (imo). 

It could be a catch 22 on their end. Could be that we get these mercs or have content droughts, either is badly recieved but some content is better than none and maybe some players will like it (mercs). 

So i get it, but i also hate it. 

Destraag #15 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 36549 battles
The real quote here is when he says and  about 37:48 "wouldn't expect older veterans to play the game".... isn't that a large portion of the group here? Does this strike anyone else as extremely out of touch with the playerbase?

Edited by Destraag, 08 November 2018 - 11:26 PM.

When a person resorts to attacking the other person rather than focusing on the issue (aka argumentum ad hominem), it becomes pretty clear they have nothing else to contribute and are wrong.

SeagullOfEvil #16 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12134 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostR35T NO MORE, on 08 November 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

There aren't many of them (WGCB staff) so that is probably it. It does make sense to do in a way, especially if the WG parent company is being a bit tight with the budget. However they don't fit in with the game (imo). 

It could be a catch 22 on their end. Could be that we get these mercs or have content droughts, either is badly recieved but some content is better than none and maybe some players will like it (mercs). 

So i get it, but i also hate it. 

Yeah I get it, it sucks but it makes sense.

2/3 Marked Tanks

Spoiler

CostlessSun07 #17 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21440 battles
Reality check.  "expect even less from us in 2019" translation to players who care about the game = we know whats best for you we are creative geniuses.  

Doctor_Who_22 #18 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 13227 battles
  • [-WHO-]

View PostRarefication, on 08 November 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Yes exactly. To each their own, but never will there be a merc in my garage. I just have zero desire when it comes to the merc fad. 

Agreed..... unfortunately I got a bit 'stupid' when the mercs first came out and I ended up getting the Plaguebringer. Although I've only played it a few times, and unless its required for a specific op, I dont plan on ever playing it again. 

While im.not a fan of the merc tanks myself, I'm fine having them in the game if it brings in more players.  But the original concept and discussion we had in the forums a while back did not include these garish-looking tanks or their equally silly commanders and tank names.  They were suposed to be based more in historical tanks (like the T-34-88 or the Captured KV-1), or an odd tank here and there that didnt fit into a specifc nations tech tree. But they all blow up the same in battle, so I have no problem taking them down when necessary. 

Beware the Banshee Comet! According to Irish folklore, a Banshee is a ghost-like creature that wails (keens) to warn you of your impending death. However on the battlefield, the last screams you hear will be your own!   

NOTE - I am taking a temporary leave from playing World of Tanks due to certain family obligations. I hope to see many of you back out in battle soon!

pr0fit0fcanabis #19 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 40176 battles
Hmmmm.... so.... WG says hey, we have been hearing about mercenary tanks from our players but we are not sure what they mean..... should we maybe ask?   Nah... we can guess......

Rarefication #20 Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:48 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17924 battles
  • [RATT]

View PostDoctor_Who_22, on 08 November 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

While im.not a fan of the merc tanks myself, I'm fine having them in the game if it brings in more players.  But the original concept and discussion we had in the forums a while back did not include these garish-looking tanks or their equally silly commanders and tank names.  They were suposed to be based more in historical tanks (like the T-34-88 or the Captured KV-1), or an odd tank here and there that didnt fit into a specifc nations tech tree. But they all blow up the same in battle, so I have no problem taking them down when necessary. 

Excellent point. If Mercs have attracted new players, rekindled interest in older players, then that is most definitely a huge positive. It is just a shame that other avenues, which would have had the same affect, haven't been afforded attention. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users