Jump to content


Comet


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

XT356 #1 Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 10525 battles
  • 2,563
  • [DNTCR]
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013
I held off on buying the comet for a while and I will say I am pleasantly surprised by it. Decent mobility and a fast firing gun. A low panther. Are the centurions just as fun or a completely different play style?
“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

AwardedSteak863 #2 Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 26008 battles
  • 1,043
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    06-21-2014
The Centurions are differant.  They don't have the fast firing 77mm gun that the Comet has but they are good tanks.  The British do not have a bad tank in the whole medium line.  If you like the Comet you might want to pick up the Banshee when it is on sale next.  It is basically a premium Comet.

Signature by METALHELLIONx84


killer etzi0 #3 Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 58874 battles
  • 18,751
  • [47R]
  • Member since:
    06-20-2014
Concur, the Comet is a great tank.

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

 

Ronald Reagan
 

 


XT356 #4 Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 10525 battles
  • 2,563
  • [DNTCR]
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013
Only thing I would change on it is the pen. 177 like the fireflys pen. 148 is underwhelming in a tier 8 or 9 match. 
“Greatness is a transitory experience. It is never consistent. It depends in part upon the myth-making imagination of humankind. The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.”

hondategtyper #5 Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:21 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17004 battles
  • 100
  • Member since:
    01-23-2016

I like the centurions that much I've still got the tier VIII as well as the 7/1 :)

 

Still trying to MOE the comet but it evades me! :trollface:



SirDerp-a-lot #6 Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 55630 battles
  • 8,454
  • [GER_1]
  • Member since:
    05-15-2016

View PostXT356, on 19 November 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

I held off on buying the comet for a while and I will say I am pleasantly surprised by it. Decent mobility and a fast firing gun.

 

Great tank, very much underappreciated!

Doctor_Who_22 #7 Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 13519 battles
  • 2,880
  • [-WHO-]
  • Member since:
    12-04-2015
Best tank in my garage by far..... its versatility is second to none

Beware the Banshee Comet! According to Irish folklore, a Banshee is a ghost-like creature that wails (keens) to warn you of your impending death. However on the battlefield, the last screams you hear will be your own!   

 

NOTE - I am taking a temporary leave from playing World of Tanks due to certain family obligations. I hope to see many of you back out in battle soon!

 


Koncorde #8 Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:59 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24891 battles
  • 1,752
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

Comet is probably second only to the Cromwell of any tank I've played for versatility. Can scout, snipe, act as a TD with its camo, and do limited brawling. Not quite mobile enough to do circle of death, and faces a lot of tanks that at tier 9 that can chew it up in seconds so you have to play smart.

 

Centurions are now very much more competitive with the turret buff. You can actually play the poke and peak style with them, or hold a ridge and keep peppering down-range with their relatively quick firing guns for their tier. If you are happy to lie in wait, pick your spots, and find the best supporting positions the Centurion will serve you well. If you try and do anything outside of its comfort zone however then you will probably be punishing because it's a massive hulking pinata of hitpoints. Also an arty fave.

 

Top tier the Cent AX puts it back to being Comet level mobility and play style.



xxFINIDITCHEVxx #9 Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:53 PM

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 671 battles
  • 83
  • Member since:
    11-11-2013

View PostKoncorde, on 22 November 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Comet is probably second only to the Cromwell of any tank I've played for versatility. Can scout, snipe, act as a TD with its camo, and do limited brawling. Not quite mobile enough to do circle of death, and faces a lot of tanks that at tier 9 that can chew it up in seconds so you have to play smart.

 

Centurions are now very much more competitive with the turret buff. You can actually play the poke and peak style with them, or hold a ridge and keep peppering down-range with their relatively quick firing guns for their tier. If you are happy to lie in wait, pick your spots, and find the best supporting positions the Centurion will serve you well. If you try and do anything outside of its comfort zone however then you will probably be punishing because it's a massive hulking pinata of hitpoints. Also an arty fave.

 

Top tier the Cent AX puts it back to being Comet level mobility and play style.

Seconded. Any of the hull down Brits are marmalised by artillery. The buffed turrets are literally game changers though. I never really played the Comet. Rushed through it to get to the Centurion. I might go back now and try it again with a top crew.



Albapfalzd3 #10 Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 22918 battles
  • 2,892
  • Member since:
    04-07-2017

Sold the Comet just as soon as I was finished with it. For some reason the tank and I just did not mesh. I will revisit it once I am done with the line but for now I am better off forgetting it. As for the Centurion line, I really like all the Premium ones I have and I just upgraded to the Cent III Turret and bigger engine before stopping for the night last night, Will give it a whirl tonight. Cannot wait to get the 20 pounder on it though. Shouldn't take long, only 16K more XP needed to unlock it.

 

Roy



PLK180W #11 Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 61 battles
  • 7,625
  • Member since:
    10-29-2014

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 07 January 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

Sold the Comet just as soon as I was finished with it. For some reason the tank and I just did not mesh. I will revisit it once I am done with the line but for now I am better off forgetting it. As for the Centurion line, I really like all the Premium ones I have and I just upgraded to the Cent III Turret and bigger engine before stopping for the night last night, Will give it a whirl tonight. Cannot wait to get the 20 pounder on it though. Shouldn't take long, only 16K more XP needed to unlock it.

 

Roy

 

If you enjoy the Premium Centurions, you're going to love the fully upgraded 7/1...
Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

panthermark #12 Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:29 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 13194 battles
  • 1,165
  • Member since:
    12-30-2016

My take....

British mediums peaked at tier 6 with the Cromwell family and the Firefly....but that is just my particular play style.  The Comet is a meh tank...but, one of the better looking ones in the game.  The problem from the Comet and Cents the maps.  Wide open spaces with rolling hills?  You can do really well.  If you have to fight in a city or a corridor?...good luck.....     

 

The other issue specifically for the Comet are the broken tanks in the game when top tier.   V/IV's and Absolutions would have no fear of rushing you, and Minutemen will love to play peek a boom and put shots through your turret (actually most tanks can pen a Comet).  Tier VI is the land of the medium, and Tier VII is the land of the heavy. 

Remember, a Comet (51.5 km/h) is not much faster than an Absolution (48 km/h) and is slower than a V/IV (55 km/h). 

It's little brothers (Cromwell, Cromwell B, and Knight) will easily run it down (64 km/h) and out circle it.....not to mention cousin Snakebite (80 km/h).  The Comet has the same gun as the Cromwell...that is an issue. That gun is fine at tier VI with Cromwell speed....but not so hot at Tier VII.  

 

I kept my Comet for awhile after I marked it...but I eventually sold it and dumped that crew into a Firefly.  That tank is much, much, much much better....the reason? It is a tier lower and has a better gun. 

Cromwell/Comet gun?  Pen of 148/208 with damage of 140     ROF   15.38

Firefly?  Pen of 171/239 with a damage of 150.      ROF 12.77 

 

As someone mentioned, the Comet needs the 17pdr of the Firefly/Cent. 

 

 

 


3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)


steelheadclan #13 Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 15531 battles
  • 5,547
  • [REAL]
  • Member since:
    03-05-2017
I like the comet and Cromwell, thankfully there nice premium versions of both. 

 


Orbtastic1 #14 Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 42094 battles
  • 2,049
  • [UK]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

Only thing wrong with the Comet is the standard pen, it has the baby 17pdr but the increase in pen over the 75mm HV is only 2mm. Either buff that or give it a 17pdr.

 

Transitioning from the Cromwell you need to quickly realise you don't have the speed or agility to circle much so don't bother trying to play it like a Cromwell.

 

 



Tea-boi #15 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21020 battles
  • 337
  • Member since:
    11-13-2016

Block Quote

  don't bother trying to play it like a Cromwel

 

ain't that the truth. But still a good tank in it's own right.

Deus le Volt!

 

 


JPollocksNo5 #16 Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 34397 battles
  • 268
  • [UK]
  • Member since:
    05-16-2014

The Comet suffers from being slower than the Cromwell and that gun is seriously underwhelming at tier 7. or the other way round, I can never remember.

 

It's a pity as the tier 6 one is great for circling Tigers etc.

 

Like going from the only decent armour in the Black Prince and getting the Can. 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

 

The various premiums are all ok but won't generate much silver. Again, slightly baffling Cromwell B, Knight, banshee etc. what each one brings over another - the snakebite being weirder - the unlimited speed but crap gun...

 

All the guns lack pen and accuracy, the Knight seems better but that could be that mine has the best crew and skills in it.

 

Here's a premo suggestion, the FV 4401 - a cromwell/comet with the decent tier 8 gun. The charioteer but with an autoloading Alecto style game play/speed/profile at tier6/7?

 

https://en.wikipedia...401_Contentious



RangerCharlie75 #17 Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 17950 battles
  • 555
  • [USAV]
  • Member since:
    02-15-2014

Cromwell I played as a heavy light. Lots of fun

Comet, I tend to hang back and hit when and where I can.


 


KillDozer33 #18 Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:16 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 5581 battles
  • 766
  • Member since:
    04-04-2015

I personally hate the Vomit Comet but I do 2nd a question which just came up & I'm sure has on other forums about it. Why does no version of it including the premium have the great historically correct 17pdr cannon???:facepalm:

 

I think we all know almost any un-maga-nerfed version(Firefly)of it would make the tank loads more fun, Hell I think the new 3D skins of it & the top pkg Crocwell are of it with the obvious 17pdr gun profile.

 

What gives WG?:confused::sceptic:



Otis Z Firefly #19 Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:19 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 21307 battles
  • 1,213
  • Member since:
    09-11-2015

View PostKillDozer33, on 07 September 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

I personally hate the Vomit Comet but I do 2nd a question which just came up & I'm sure has on other forums about it. Why does no version of it including the premium have the great historically correct 17pdr cannon???:facepalm:

 

I think we all know almost any un-maga-nerfed version(Firefly)of it would make the tank loads more fun, Hell I think the new 3D skins of it & the top pkg Crocwell are of it with the obvious 17pdr gun profile.

 

What gives WG?:confused::sceptic:

 

I don't think the Comet had the 17lb gun. It does have the historically accurate 77mm HV.
Ordo ab Chao.

Koncorde #20 Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24891 battles
  • 1,752
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014
Yep, Comet had the 77 which is a modification of the 17lb. I think practically the difference is a shorter barrel (not sure by how much).




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users