Jump to content


GLD worth it for a 3.40 aimtime tank?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

BreezyModsGtA #1 Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 3225 battles
  • 271
  • Member since:
    09-08-2016
i wish we could see the effects of our skills/equipment like in wt

Sadriel Fett #2 Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

    Major

  • Supertest - Xbox One
  • 27256 battles
  • 5,081
  • [A4C]
  • Member since:
    02-12-2014
Try using the Tanks.GG website (should come up in Google search).  It uses PC stats, but it still gives you a good idea on the effect different items have on your tanks stats.  Sometimes, the tank stats on there are the same as on console, anyways.

 

~ There's no such thing as "Arty Safe."  You have to play "Arty Aware."  You have to play "SmArty." ~

~ The worst enemies you will ever face in this game are your own team mates. ~


Morpheus02007 #3 Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14334 battles
  • 6,282
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
In my opinion the combo V-Stab and EGLD is a must with aimtimes above 3 sec. I swap vents for EGLD always in that situation.
Garage

Thanks to xRoni7x for this awesome sig!


BreezyModsGtA #4 Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:43 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 3225 battles
  • 271
  • Member since:
    09-08-2016

View PostMorpheus02007, on 20 November 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

In my opinion the combo V-Stab and EGLD is a must with aimtimes above 3 sec. I swap vents for EGLD always in that situation.

Thanks I’m new to Soviet tanks on paper they aren’t my style but that doesn’t mean much in this game 



BreezyModsGtA #5 Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 3225 battles
  • 271
  • Member since:
    09-08-2016

View PostSadriel Fett, on 20 November 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Try using the Tanks.GG website (should come up in Google search).  It uses PC stats, but it still gives you a good idea on the effect different items have on your tanks stats.  Sometimes, the tank stats on there are the same as on console, anyways.

Thanks I was using blitz to see the effects but U need to own the tank



Futarrari #6 Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013
doesnt GLD only work though when the turret and tank are stationary ? 

Morpheus02007 #7 Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:33 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14334 battles
  • 6,282
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostFutarrari, on 20 November 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

doesnt GLD only work though when the turret and tank are stationary ? 

 

Yeah...but for precision aiming you always have to be stationairy. For on the move you got the V-Stab and from the moment you stop, the EGLD helps a lot.
Garage

Thanks to xRoni7x for this awesome sig!


rhymeswithN00bs #8 Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 16150 battles
  • 10,826
  • [GIRLS]
  • Member since:
    01-04-2014

^Yeah it might be a good choice for TDs and some heavies but for mediums you'll want vertical stabilizer because GLD is only useful if you're not moving. I think for the IS-6 and IS-3 and maybe fatherland I use GLD and vert stab. That's what the wiki recommends because they have bad gun handling.

 

GLD doesn't work during turret rotation so that's a lot of times it's not helping 


 

XOXO, Noobius Y


Futarrari #9 Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:39 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View PostMorpheus02007, on 20 November 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

 

Yeah...but for precision aiming you always have to be stationairy. For on the move you got the V-Stab and from the moment you stop, the EGLD helps a lot.

 

well i figured he was asking for a heavy tank , there are quite a few russian heavies with 3.4 aim time i think . 

any one of them with the D-25 or variant or bl-9 . Which i dont see how a gld would help those kinds of tanks that should be constantly moving . 

probably work great on case mate tds from what ive read .



Morpheus02007 #10 Posted 21 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14334 battles
  • 6,282
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostFutarrari, on 20 November 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

 

well i figured he was asking for a heavy tank , there are quite a few russian heavies with 3.4 aim time i think . 

any one of them with the D-25 or variant or bl-9 . Which i dont see how a gld would help those kinds of tanks that should be constantly moving . 

probably work great on case mate tds from what ive read .

 

What do you mean? I hope you stop to aim....Especially in a USSR heavy with bad accuracy and aim time. Not every tank got paper armor that can be penned by auto-aiming. A normal tactic is stop-aim-shoot and move and repeat...unless you got a M1A2 Abrams with advanced gun systems. Snapshots do also work sometimes....but not always.


Garage

Thanks to xRoni7x for this awesome sig!


fozfactor #11 Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 58881 battles
  • 2,395
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostMorpheus02007, on 21 November 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

 

What do you mean? I hope you stop to aim....Especially in a USSR heavy with bad accuracy and aim time. Not every tank got paper armor that can be penned by auto-aiming. A normal tactic is stop-aim-shoot and move and repeat...unless you got a M1A2 Abrams with advanced gun systems. Snapshots do also work sometimes....but not always.

 

I use GLD along w/Stabs on a number of tanks with decent aim-time incl. the 4202 (2.3 --> 2.07), Motherland (2.4 --> 2.16), mle.49 (2.9 --> 2.6), and Sharpshooter (2.7 --> 2.43). Decreases exposure time substantially on peekaboo encounters. 

non nobis solum


Futarrari #12 Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View PostMorpheus02007, on 21 November 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

 

What do you mean? I hope you stop to aim....Especially in a USSR heavy with bad accuracy and aim time. Not every tank got paper armor that can be penned by auto-aiming. A normal tactic is stop-aim-shoot and move and repeat...unless you got a M1A2 Abrams with advanced gun systems. Snapshots do also work sometimes....but not always.

 

no but sitting stationary  is a good way to get your lfp penned instead of rocking back and forth .

Besides regardless of what the paper stats say , those russian heavies usually land their hits . 

Is-7 has good on the move firing accuracy . 

Just seems like a bad idea camping in a heavy . 



fozfactor #13 Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:55 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 58881 battles
  • 2,395
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostFutarrari, on 21 November 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

 

no but sitting stationary  is a good way to get your lfp penned instead of rocking back and forth .

Besides regardless of what the paper stats say , those russian heavies usually land their hits . 

Is-7 has good on the move firing accuracy . 

Just seems like a bad idea camping in a heavy . 

 

Think Morpheus is talking about pausing for a only a few seconds.

 

If I'm in an alley in my mle.49 squared off against a KV-4 several meters away, rocking back and forth while I reload to keep my cupola a tricky target, my 2.4 second aim-time (adjusted for GLD+BIA+Coffee) is going to make it a lot easier to chip away his hit points when I stop rocking to line up on his cupola while he takes his 3.4 seconds to line up on mine. If he's 20-30+ meters away it will be infinitely easier.


non nobis solum


Futarrari #14 Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View Postfozfactor, on 21 November 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

 

Think Morpheus is talking about pausing for a only a few seconds.

 

If I'm in an alley in my mle.49 squared off against a KV-4 several meters away, rocking back and forth while I reload to keep my cupola a tricky target, my 2.4 second aim-time (adjusted for GLD+BIA+Coffee) is going to make it a lot easier to chip away his hit points when I stop rocking to line up on his cupola while he takes his 3.4 seconds to line up on mine. If he's 20-30+ meters away it will be infinitely easier.

how longs it take for you to be still for gld to kick in ? I was thinking it was like a camo net which takes forever it seems . 

to be fair though a kv4 is pretty easy to pen if you have something around 250 ish pen . I only seem to square off against them when im in my 10s .

 

From the testing ive read on the forums it just seems like its not worth the equipment slot . 

 

 



fozfactor #15 Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:08 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 58881 battles
  • 2,395
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostFutarrari, on 21 November 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

how longs it take for you to be still for gld to kick in ? I was thinking it was like a camo net which takes forever it seems . 

to be fair though a kv4 is pretty easy to pen if you have something around 250 ish pen . I only seem to square off against them when im in my 10s .

 

From the testing ive read on the forums it just seems like its not worth the equipment slot . 

 

 

It's immediate. In fact campers are the last players that need good aim-time as they just sit there in the back. And it could be any tank. Could be me working the center line of Prok in my 4202P aggressively, back and forth, back and forth, in a tier 10 game trying to peg the LFP of an E100 waltzing up the middle. What's better, being exposed for 1.97 seconds (adjusted for GLD+BIA+Tea. incl. VStab), or being exposed for 2.3 seconds (no GLD and no rations)? My play style at the front requires that circle closes pronto

 

As far as the equipment slot, that's a good point. Some tanks may do better to achieve their goals with another choice. But I also have the required skills to compensate, for example in my 4202, the loss of Optics (Sit Aware/Recon/BIA/Camo). For a player who's crew only has a couple skills, Optics would be the better choice. Some players may want to use GLD instead of Rammer taking a hit to overall DPM but making sure every hit counts. A lot of this is trial and error and seeing what works for you. 


non nobis solum


Morpheus02007 #16 Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:17 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 14334 battles
  • 6,282
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostFutarrari, on 21 November 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

 

no but sitting stationary  is a good way to get your lfp penned instead of rocking back and forth .

Besides regardless of what the paper stats say , those russian heavies usually land their hits . 

Is-7 has good on the move firing accuracy . 

Just seems like a bad idea camping in a heavy . 

 

View PostFutarrari, on 22 November 2018 - 01:42 AM, said:

how longs it take for you to be still for gld to kick in ? I was thinking it was like a camo net which takes forever it seems . 

to be fair though a kv4 is pretty easy to pen if you have something around 250 ish pen . I only seem to square off against them when im in my 10s .

 

From the testing ive read on the forums it just seems like its not worth the equipment slot . 

 

 

 

First of all...nobody here said something about camping. I'm talking about aiming...I'm curious how you aim if you think an EGLD is useless together with a V-Stab on tanks with a long aim time. 

 

I'm also surprised you think that an EGLD has to wait to engage with a delay like camo net and binocs. EGLD works immidiately, it gets your aimtime from 3.0 to 2,7 sec. 

 

So a V-Stab makes the aiming circle 20% smaller, and an EGLD let it shrinks faster, that's why the combo is important for tanks with long aim time. 


Garage

Thanks to xRoni7x for this awesome sig!


Futarrari #17 Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View PostMorpheus02007, on 21 November 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

 

 

First of all...nobody here said something about camping. I'm talking about aiming...I'm curious how you aim if you think an EGLD is useless together with a V-Stab on tanks with a long aim time. 

 

I'm also surprised you think that an EGLD has to wait to engage with a delay like camo net and binocs. EGLD works immidiately, it gets your aimtime from 3.0 to 2,7 sec. 

 

So a V-Stab makes the aiming circle 20% smaller, and an EGLD let it shrinks faster, that's why the combo is important for tanks with long aim time. 

 

but doesnt it disengage if your turret moves ? 

fozfactor #18 Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 58881 battles
  • 2,395
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostFutarrari, on 21 November 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

 

but doesnt it disengage if your turret moves ? 

 

Imagine aim-time like the force of gravity. It's constantly trying to pull things closer. On the moon (poor aim-time) one can take giant leaps before being pulled back down very slowly. On Jupiter (very good aim-time) you would have a hard time lifting your foot off the surface and if you did manage to get up gravity would pull you back down quickly enough to break an ankle from even a low height. Moving the barrel would be the equivalent of the jump. Wild guess Moon vs. Jupiter aim-time? 5 secs vs. .05 secs. 

 

A tanks example is the Chieftain with great aim-time. Even with a larger dispersion bloom after firing than say the IS-3, the reticule is pulled back very quickly to normal. Movement has even less effect on bloom than firing. The IS-3's bloom after firing is lower than the Chieftain's, but the aim-time is slow enough to make one think that it blooms more. So back to the planet example, regardless of how much bloom after firing/moving, that .05 secs would make it seem like there's no bloom at all. Ironic.

 


non nobis solum


Futarrari #19 Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12778 battles
  • 1,501
  • [KNOWN]
  • Member since:
    11-08-2013

View Postfozfactor, on 22 November 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

 

Imagine aim-time like the force of gravity. It's constantly trying to pull things closer. On the moon (poor aim-time) one can take giant leaps before being pulled back down very slowly. On Jupiter (very good aim-time) you would have a hard time lifting your foot off the surface and if you did manage to get up gravity would pull you back down quickly enough to break an ankle from even a low height. Moving the barrel would be the equivalent of the jump. Wild guess Moon vs. Jupiter aim-time? 5 secs vs. .05 secs. 

 

 

ah i get what you are saying , i guess it makes a pretty big difference the longer the aim time is . The more noticeable the improvement a gld makes . 

I should buy back my ST-I soon and test out a gld/v stab combo and see how i like it . 

 

 

 



BreezyModsGtA #20 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:09 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 3225 battles
  • 271
  • Member since:
    09-08-2016
Yea so I’ve been having good luck with gld vstab rammer in my is3 I’m a ventsaholic but I figure the accuracy/viewrange buffs it offers won’t be much on an is3 and faster aimtime means I can fire and get back in cover quick which is necessary imo for this tank because  of the dumb pike; unless of course your hulldown behind a small wall/rock with no unrealistic sharty to drop a load of pinpoint accurate skill on you.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users