Near Penetration

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

FriendBesto #1 Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:19 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9690 battles
  • [BOOP]
Can someone explain what the difference between near penetration (as seen in the tank viewer in the garage and the new tankopedia) and the pen stat in the tank package viewer is? I can’t figure it out.

I44I Warlock #2 Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33883 battles
  • [-MLW-]

The value in the armor viewer is the average of all 3 ammo types, standart, premium. Same for damage. 

Heute fette Beute!

3 marked tanks: 62

donny007-THX #3 Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:25 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 14916 battles
  • [NLD01]

It's the average pen of all the rounds on the tank. I.E.: Add the average pen of AP,APCR, and HE and divide by 3. 

Not my description, but from a post from Max on this subject quite a bit earlier.

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

Pit Friend #4 Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30135 battles
  • [PTATO]
Near Penetration is a completely useless value. The penetration of the HE/HEP/HESH shell almost every tank gets drags this value below the average penetration of whatever standard shell the gun gets.

I hope to one day be wealthy enough to be considered eccentric rather than just plain nuts.  

FriendBesto #5 Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:55 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9690 battles
  • [BOOP]

View PostI44I Warlock, on 05 December 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

The value in the armor viewer is the average of all 3 ammo types, standart, premium. Same for damage. 

View Postdonny007-THX, on 05 December 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

It's the average pen of all the rounds on the tank. I.E.: Add the average pen of AP,APCR, and HE and divide by 3. 

Not my description, but from a post from Max on this subject quite a bit earlier.

Wow.  That is a frustrating stat.  Thanks for the help!

MaxChaos24 #6 Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:23 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12070 battles

View PostFriendBesto, on 05 December 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

Wow.  That is a frustrating stat.  Thanks for the help!

It's not a stat per se, but a value that is used in determining the Firepower rating. The items displayed underneath the Ratings (Firepower, Survival, etc) is just there to show what values were used to determine that rating. 

Tempest fox3 #7 Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18566 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 06 December 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

It's not a stat per se, but a value that is used in determining the Firepower rating. The items displayed underneath the Ratings (Firepower, Survival, etc) is just there to show what values were used to determine that rating. 

Which is why the firepower rating is largely pointless. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

Fishfood50 #8 Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 702 battles

Now I understand why so many guns have a better rating when they are far worse guns. This really needs to be changed or simply removed as it confuses everyone and players who don't check the stats of each gun are going to have problems.

animatethant #9 Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 70369 battles
I'm married so I'll leave it at that lol.

t_wilson01 #10 Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14643 battles
  • [KJACK]
It's really difficult not to be negative about so many things with this game, and it's really unfortunate that I feel this way because I like this game very much, despite all it's issues.

I envy the detailed tank stats PC players have and wonder why we don't have them as well. They even see the effects that equipment and consumables have on their tanks, so they can make an informed decision on what to use.

If WGCB thinks the average console player is too dumb to understand all those numbers, then give us a setting in the options menu to activate them. The tank ratings we have now are not very useful, and the near penetration value is pointless.

Jherry Angel #11 Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29253 battles
  • [BNKR-]

View Postanimatethant, on 06 December 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I'm married so I'll leave it at that lol.

LOL.....if only tanks I drove could get head-aches.  It'd make them damn-near invincible.  

"Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you ... stranger." 

sledge6301 #12 Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 47219 battles
  • [PIRAI]

Pen is a joke we all know it but WG is making the money out of it so 

i guess we are all losers.

So many times i have been absoluley stunned when you see a shell just scratching thenpaintjob with a fully aimed and point angeled shell just to hear the words are you kidding me.

Capn Ratchet45 #13 Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18211 battles

View PostFriendBesto, on 05 December 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

Can someone explain what the difference between near penetration (as seen in the tank viewer in the garage and the new tankopedia) and the pen stat in the tank package viewer is? I can’t figure it out.

great question, I've always wondered why its like that. Most tanks don't make very effective use of the he shells, a pointless number that only confuses people.

Capn Ratchet45 #14 Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18211 battles

View Postt_wilson01, on 06 December 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

It's really difficult not to be negative about so many things with this game, and it's really unfortunate that I feel this way because I like this game very much, despite all it's issues.

I envy the detailed tank stats PC players have and wonder why don't have them as well. They even see the effects that equipment and consumables have on their tanks, so they can make an informed decision on what to use.

If WGCB thinks the average console player is too dumb to understand all those numbers, then give us a setting in the options menu to activate them. The tank ratings we have now is not very useful, and the near penetration value is pointless.

well put, equipment, supplies, crew skills all affect the vehicles performance, and there should be a way IN GAME to view the differences. 

I shouldn't have to visit third party sites, mostly designed to work for pc wot, or get out a calculator to understand fully the benefits of using various means to improve my tank.

stuff like this breeds uneducated, and Ill informed decisions from many tankers who aren't willing to go the extra mile to wade through  the [edited]to find stats outside the game.

FriendBesto #15 Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9690 battles
  • [BOOP]

View Postt_wilson01, on 06 December 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

I envy the detailed tank stats PC players have and wonder why we don't have them as well. They even see the effects that equipment and consumables have on their tanks, so they can make an informed decision on what to use.

If WGCB thinks the average console player is too dumb to understand all those numbers, then give us a setting in the options menu to activate them. The tank ratings we have now are not very useful, and the near penetration value is pointless.

Thanks for the feedback Max!  I can see the value in general stats like Firepower for players who don't want to dive into the details, or new players who just don't want to be overwhelmed by information, but I really like the idea t_wilson had about having an option to switch detailed stats on and off or something similar, something that can give players an option to look through detailed stats (as well as effects of equipment on those stats).  Is that something WG might put in the game soon?  

Hopefully my tone isn't too negative.  Despite my gripes, still love this game, and appreciate the feedback.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users