The 'Brick' is a Dud, Here's Why

Brick Mercenary Heavy Premium Review Opinion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Obsulus 07 #1 Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:48 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 32285 battles

The 'Brick' Mercenary Heavy was just released this week and struck my curiosity. I checked out the components in the store and the stats made sense. Unlike the 'Boulder', the 'Brick' has an IS-6 turret, which actually has very good armor for it's tier - so I bought it.

The armor is strong, as is to be expected. It holds up pretty well until the High-tier AP and APCR strart flying. This tank will sidescrape like a champ and will shrug off all but the heaviest of HE rounds. But that's where the problems begin.

This tank will see Tier-10 games. And if you're playing late at night, that's most of what you'll see. The mobility certainly leaves something to be desired. It's certainly not as bad as the Boulder's inability to relocate. But your average tanker will get caught in the open fairly often, and it's a big target.

The worst thing about this tank is the gun. The 100mm LB-1 comes from the T-44, and it works on that tank. The T-44 is fast, has good mobility and a low profile, allowing it to flank and side-hug a lot of taller tanks - Making up for the sub-par pen of the gun. You won't be doing that in the Brick.

Virtually every stat on the gun has been nerfed. The accuracy is worse than it is on the T-44. The gun dispersion on the move is worse, from 0.55m to 0.62m in a significantly slower tank. At the same tier it should, theoretically, be better.

However, if I had to name one thing that makes the whole tank fall short; it's the aim time. At 2.90 seconds, you're forced to spend WAY TOO LONG sitting in front of enemy guns, just to snap off your 250 base damage. No Tier-10 tankers seem to be bothered by this gun - or Tier-9's, for that matter. The 90mm gun from the T-32 outperforms this gun in every stat.

As is; the 'Brick' would be great as a Limited Match-making tank. But it isn't. The armor is good, the mobility is acceptable, but the gun just can't deliver.

P.S. I should also disclose that I've been playing with a Gun Laying Drive, Enhanced Ventilation and a Vertical Stabilizer. I'm also using a six-skill crew with Brothers in Arms, Off-road Driving and Clutch Braking. I do not yet have Smooth Ride or Snapshot.

Edited by Obsulus 07, 14 December 2018 - 01:02 AM.

Capn Ratchet45 #2 Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:08 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24413 battles

you got 20 gold? buy yourself a buff, get the gun handling skills. it'll take ya a bit to earn em.  I'd rather have a gun that works.

I do find the driving skills help in a heavy, but if the gun is trolling ya...

mifiliveni #3 Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:51 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12834 battles
So all in all it's just another brick in the wall.

Death in the shape of a Panzer Battalion!!!

ST_Zeno94 #4 Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30516 battles

View PostObsulus 07, on 14 December 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

The 'Brick' Mercenary Heavy was just released this week and struck my curiosity. I checked out the components in the store and the stats made sense. Unlike the 'Boulder', the 'Brick' has an IS-6 turret, which actually has very good armor for it's tier - so I bought it.

The armor is strong, as is to be expected. It holds up pretty well until the High-tier AP and APCR strart flying. This tank will sidescrape like a champ and will shrug off all but the heaviest of HE rounds. But that's where the problems begin.

This tank will see Tier-10 games. And if you're playing late at night, that's most of what you'll see. The mobility certainly leaves something to be desired. It's certainly not as bad as the Boulder's inability to relocate. But your average tanker will get caught in the open fairly often, and it's a big target.

The worst thing about this tank is the gun. The 100mm LB-1 comes from the T-44, and it works on that tank. The T-44 is fast, has good mobility and a low profile, allowing it to flank and side-hug a lot of taller tanks - Making up for the sub-par pen of the gun. You won't be doing that in the Brick.

Virtually every stat on the gun has been nerfed. The accuracy is worse than it is on the T-44. The gun dispersion on the move is worse, from 0.55m to 0.62m in a significantly slower tank. At the same tier it should, theoretically, be better.

However, if I had to name one thing that makes the whole tank fall short; it's the aim time. At 2.90 seconds, you're forced to spend WAY TOO LONG sitting in front of enemy guns, just to snap off your 250 base damage. No Tier-10 tankers seem to be bothered by this gun - or Tier-9's, for that matter. The 90mm gun from the T-32 outperforms this gun in every stat.

As is; the 'Brick' would be great as a Limited Match-making tank. But it isn't. The armor is good, the mobility is acceptable, but the gun just can't deliver.

P.S. I should also disclose that I've been playing with a Gun Laying Drive, Enhanced Ventilation and a Vertical Stabilizer. I'm also using a six-skill crew with Brothers in Arms, Off-road Driving and Clutch Braking. I do not yet have Smooth Ride or Snapshot.

Nonsens. The armor is a MT armor. Every tier 6 tank like T34-85 can penetrate it frontal. Look the vids. This tank is crap, to expensive and needs Matchmaking to tier 9 but with a buff. No chance against real tier 8 or 9 heavy tanks like the IS-M etc.

PaschalBadge9 #5 Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33228 battles

thank you for the review

0TikzpO.jpg

Obsulus 07 #6 Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:53 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 32285 battles

No. It CAN side-scrape. But that is just about the only thing at which it excels.

And yes, a Tier-6 flinging gold can pen the lower plate, or without gold if they're shooting from below. The lower plate isn't the selling point on most tanks. And it certainly isn't why I bought this one. Getting hit in the lower plate is a matter of where the driver places the tank. It could definitely use more horsepower.

There are a number of buffs they could add to the tank. But I will maintain that the gun is where the whole thing falls apart. It's also not that the gun is bad. It's a very good gun for the T-44. But I'm not convinced it belongs on a tank like this. Especially when they've ruined it in the name of balancing.

Edited by Obsulus 07, 15 December 2018 - 05:41 AM.

CaptRumSkull #7 Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 30020 battles
The Brick  is terrible vs Tier 9 & 10, he has no Gun Depression  , no Mobility nor has he a good Penetration or High Silver Bonus (Only 50%) .In my Opinion he is the worst Premium Tank ever. I regret that i bought it, only Pro is the Design of the Brick, looks really good. Most of my Brick Matches are against Tier 9 & 10 and i don't have a Chance to do much to them because of the poor Armor and Gun. Very frustrating. It really needs a Buff and better Matchmaking. It's Terrible!!!!! I want my Gold back, Wargaming 

ST_Zeno94 #8 Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:04 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30516 battles

View PostObsulus 07, on 14 December 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

Light tank armor, Artillerie aimtime, Maus speed. This tank needs tier 6 with prefered MM up to 7. Then its a challenge! 

Edited by ST_Zeno94, 15 December 2018 - 10:08 AM.

ST_Zeno94 #9 Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:10 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30516 battles

View PostObsulus 07, on 14 December 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

No. It CAN side-scrape. But that is just about the only thing at which it excels.

And yes, a Tier-6 flinging gold can pen the lower plate, or without gold if they're shooting from below. The lower plate isn't the selling point on most tanks. And it certainly isn't why I bought this one. Getting hit in the lower plate is a matter of where the driver places the tank. It could definitely use more horsepower.

There are a number of buffs they could add to the tank. But I will maintain that the gun is where the whole thing falls apart. It's also not that the gun is bad. It's a very good gun for the T-44. But I'm not convinced it belongs on a tank like this. Especially when they've ruined it in the name of balancing.

U dont need gold ammo to penetrate this weak light tank paper armor. 

Obsulus 07 #10 Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:57 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 32285 battles
I've played sixteen matches with it, at the moment. I've gotten two Steel Wall medals, so far. I'm pretty sure one of those was a Tier-9 match. The armor isn't as bad as you say.

AHTuXPuCT6666 #11 Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 44705 battles
  • [GRD]
Don't buy this though, don't be an idiot!

ST_Zeno94 #12 Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30516 battles

View PostObsulus 07, on 15 December 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

I've played sixteen matches with it, at the moment. I've gotten two Steel Wall medals, so far. I'm pretty sure one of those was a Tier-9 match. The armor isn't as bad as you say.

dont believe it , make a vid and post it! I still say this tank is crap and too expensive. This is a no fun tank. Maybe u have some lucky rounds with it. I played 5 rounds with it. All tier 9 and was taken out in shortest time. Not one shot bounced on it but every shot i did. Specs say accuracy of 0,38. This isnt true. After full time aiming shots didnt hit well on distance. For close combat like  russian heavys can do the armor is to weak.

ST_Zeno94 #13 Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30516 battles

View PostObsulus 07, on 15 December 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Maybe isn´t as bad but isn`t as good as it should be for a heavy in Tier 8! Maybe i give the Brick another chance in the future when he gets a minimum buff in armor and aimtime and penetration. 

bevenh #14 Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:45 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38776 battles
WG another well planned money grab from unsupecting players. This tank was advertised as a real powerhouse. Real world facts proved otherwise. I say to myself only believe a fraction of what WG says about its tanks. I say this tank has sucker written all over it.

Obsulus 07 #15 Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:53 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 32285 battles

Wargaming,

If this tank had the French 90mm DCA 45 as it exists on the FCM 50t, the Brick would be everything you advertised. The FCM even has preferential matchmaking. It could also earn its place on the scoreboard in Tier-10 games.

Prove me wrong.

abhiop741 #16 Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32596 battles
  • [DICO]

View Postbevenh, on 16 December 2018 - 02:45 AM, said:

WG another well planned money grab from unsupecting players. This tank was advertised as a real powerhouse. Real world facts proved otherwise. I say to myself only believe a fraction of what WG says about its tanks. I say this tank has sucker written all over it.

Who still believes the advertisements of Wargaming ? Every new premium tank is announced as the new terror of the battlefield :facepalm: !
Once an active contributor on the French forum of WoT.

abhiop741 #17 Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32596 battles
  • [DICO]

View PostObsulus 07, on 15 December 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

The Brick isn't as bad as some here say. Ok, it hasn't the best gun, but many Russian and Chinese heavies have much more imprecise guns (0.46 for instance for the 112 or the Fatherland). Its armor can be penned but is not worse than other tanks. All tanks have weakspots (KV-5 and its R2D2 turrets, lower plate for many tanks).

Obsulus 07 #18 Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:32 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 32285 battles

You missed the fact that the 112 doesn't see Tier-10's and the Fatherland still has another 31mm base pen on its standard APCR beyond that of the Brick's AP.

I am well aware of Wargaming gross exaggerations, and that's not why I bought the tank, bubs. But if they're  going to advertise that it has a mean gun; then I can certainly ask that they give me what they advertised.

abhiop741 #19 Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:06 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32596 battles
  • [DICO]

I could have spoken of the Scourge (0.45) or of the 50TP PR (0.44) whose guns are less accurate.But in fact I find you are right. The most annoying problem of this tank is that it is rather slow and so the T-44 gun is more difficult to exploit with its standard shells that lack a little penetration (190 mm).

Personaly I don't bother too much because I have many old premium tanks that have guns lacking penetration (as the T23E3 before, the M4A2E4, the Russian and Chinese tanks with the standard 122 mm) and I don't hesitate to use APCRs/gold with these tanks. Some tanks need to use often APCRs and in the present state, the Brick, when fighting tiers VIII - or higher - heavies, is one of them.

I would have nothing against a little buff but I just reacted against posts telling that the Brick is a heap of mud. Using some APCRs when necessary, the Brick can fight any tiers VIII heavy tank with chances of success.

abhiop741 #20 Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 32596 battles
  • [DICO]
For example, ten minutes ago I just easily destroyed a Tiger II in a one against one close fight. Every shell I shot penned the Tiger II (except the first that missed the lower plate and bounced on the frontal armor) contrarily to its shots whose many didn't pen. Ok, I switched to ACPRs after the first shot because I preferred not to miss shots, but even so I won money !

Also tagged with Brick, Mercenary, Heavy, Premium, Review, Opinion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users