Does anyone enjoy the Emil I?

Emil I Auto-Loader Fun Tank

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

JaggedSine6 #1 Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

So after selling my Leo a while back, I decided to buy it back and work my way to the Emil I. I've never been too fond of playing auto-loaders but figured I had to try it.

I'm currently on the first package which gives me everything except the top gun. The stock gun has horrible penetration but spamming premium rounds fixes that. I've got her fitted out with vert stabs, vents and optics and run my usual small kits. Once I get the top gun and can stop spamming premium, I may replace the small fire extinguisher with food to boost the horrible reload time.

I find the 40 second wait for reloading just excruciatingly painful. Even when I have good games in it, I just don't end up feeling like I had any fun. If the next two tanks in the line are similar (they appear to be), I'm not sure if I want to grind any further. I'd rather play an auto-loader that is not fun at tier VIII than an auto-loader that is not fun at tier X.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to play it that is actually fun? Is there anything in the next two tanks that I am missing that would make it worth my while? Unlike some, I really just play the game for fun. I don't have a desire to grind every line or earn every medal.

Anyone have any memorable battles in the Emil I or is it just a boring tank?

Stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

MASHMAN 90 #2 Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 35614 battles

My First Ever Emil Game, not played it in a long time though.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/ 

Disclaimer Below: Read the Spoiler, If you don't and assume i'm 100% Truthful then it's not my problem.

JaggedSine6 #3 Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

View PostMASHMAN 90, on 24 December 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

My First Ever Emil Game, not played it in a long time though.

That actually looked like a fun game. That Senshi should have had you but sat there and let you reload. And that Carny that got around you probably would have got you if not for arty. Getting yolo'd while reloading is what always ruins my day. Had a game where a red made it behind us. I unloaded all of my rounds on it and left him with about 10hp. I struggled the whole 40 seconds trying to bounce his shots while 3 of our our greens hid behind a building and refused to finish it off. It seems with the Emil I, your own team is usually your worst enemy.

TheKitsuneFox #4 Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:03 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26322 battles
  • [W0TFR]
Yep, these heavy autoloader rely on their team. You can be devastating, for example clip one red tank to death in no time or finish 3-4 of them off but as long as you're reloading you're vulnerable.
At tier VIII French rely on their mobility to run away, Swedes rely on their turret armor and smaller size to survive, sometimes it works (I've seen Emils facehugging bigger tanks to force them bouncing off their turret while they reloaded)
But in general if the team fails sticking with you, it's over...

yellowbussdad #5 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:02 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7774 battles

View PostJaggedSine6, on 24 December 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

So after selling my Leo a while back, I decided to buy it back and work my way to the Emil I. I've never been too fond of playing auto-loaders but figured I had to try it.

I'm currently on the first package which gives me everything except the top gun. The stock gun has horrible penetration but spamming premium rounds fixes that. I've got her fitted out with vert stabs, vents and optics and run my usual small kits. Once I get the top gun and can stop spamming premium, I may replace the small fire extinguisher with food to boost the horrible reload time.

I find the 40 second wait for reloading just excruciatingly painful. Even when I have good games in it, I just don't end up feeling like I had any fun. If the next two tanks in the line are similar (they appear to be), I'm not sure if I want to grind any further. I'd rather play an auto-loader that is not fun at tier VIII than an auto-loader that is not fun at tier X.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to play it that is actually fun? Is there anything in the next two tanks that I am missing that would make it worth my while? Unlike some, I really just play the game for fun. I don't have a desire to grind every line or earn every medal.

Anyone have any memorable battles in the Emil I or is it just a boring tank?

Yes, reload time is long, but u still can be useful while you're reloading. Help the team with diverting attention from them to you. Emils turret is strong enough to bounce few shots, but do not expose your hull. This way your teammates can inflict more damage on reds, and your not sitting there feeling useless. This tank really makes one as a team player. So learn when to engage, and when to run, if you have to. It is up to you to make it boring or exciting :) I'm an average player, but in good hands this tank is a force to be recon with.

In the beginning, I almost gave up on this tank. It's play style and long reloading made it really hard for me to play it. I'm glad I stuck to it. Yesterday I was able to unlock Emil2. Will give my thoughts after I play few games in it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

yelowbussdad

MASHMAN 90 #6 Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:54 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 35614 battles

View PostJaggedSine6, on 24 December 2018 - 10:07 PM, said:

That actually looked like a fun game. That Senshi should have had you but sat there and let you reload. And that Carny that got around you probably would have got you if not for arty. Getting yolo'd while reloading is what always ruins my day. Had a game where a red made it behind us. I unloaded all of my rounds on it and left him with about 10hp. I struggled the whole 40 seconds trying to bounce his shots while 3 of our our greens hid behind a building and refused to finish it off. It seems with the Emil I, your own team is usually your worst enemy.

Yup true, i tried to act like i had shells in my tank if reloading to negate the yolo.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/ 

Disclaimer Below: Read the Spoiler, If you don't and assume i'm 100% Truthful then it's not my problem.

JaggedSine6 #7 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

Good advice so far. I've been doing the fake em out that I'm reloaded trick but it doesn't always work. When it doesn't, I try and hug them if they are tall and can't shoot down at the hull. I have a very green crew so as I get more skills/perks, things may improve a bit. It's true that a horrible team is more painful in the Emil I than most of the other tanks I play. Looking up at the screen and seeing you are down half your tanks and the reds haven't lost any just means you are going to have to suffer through that horrible 40 seconds of defenseless flailing as you get bum rushed.

Pretty sure I'm going to just stick with the Emil I and build up my crew to a super crew before moving on.

killer etzi0 #8 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 57688 battles
  • [47R]
I really wanted to give the Tier VIII-X Swedish tanks a run, but after 10 battles in the Leo I threw in the towel.... the Leo and Russian A-44 have to be the two worst tier VII mediums in the game.... imo. 

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

JaggedSine6 #9 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15540 battles

View Postkiller etzi0, on 25 December 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I really wanted to give the Tier VIII-X Swedish tanks a run, but after 10 battles in the Leo I threw in the towel.... the Leo and Russian A-44 have to be the two worst tier VII mediums in the game.... imo. 

I've kept my Strv 74 mainly because it looks cool. In a map with plenty of ridges, it's a pretty good tank. The Leo was alright but didn't have the insane gun depression and the good looks that the Strv 74 has. Did you play the Emil I with the top gun? I have about 10000 XP left to get there and about 9000 free XP. However, I refuse to spend any free XP on it so I will just hope to get a few good premo spamming games to earn the 10000 XP.

I need to come up with a list of the most important skills/perks. I'm guessing snap shot might be handy to cut down on wasting precious shots.

killer etzi0 #10 Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

Major

• Players
  • 57688 battles
  • [47R]

View PostJaggedSine6, on 25 December 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

I've kept my Strv 74 mainly because it looks cool. In a map with plenty of ridges, it's a pretty good tank. The Leo was alright but didn't have the insane gun depression and the good looks that the Strv 74 has. Did you play the Emil I with the top gun? I have about 10000 XP left to get there and about 9000 free XP. However, I refuse to spend any free XP on it so I will just hope to get a few good premo spamming games to earn the 10000 XP.

I need to come up with a list of the most important skills/perks. I'm guessing snap shot might be handy to cut down on wasting precious shots.

No I never made it past the Leo, maybe some day  when I have a bunch of free XP saved up and can skip straight to the final gun on the Emil might give it a try. 

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

PumpkinEcobar #11 Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 14711 battles
I loved the Emil and Emil 2. I like auto loaders and hull down tanks tho. Pen is lacking on both, but not terrible. I played them both like support mediums. Haven't bought the Kranvagn yet. Got a couple tier X tanks I want before it, and the Emil 2 is still fun.

GingerSquatch93 #12 Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7135 battles
  • [VKNG]

It does definitely get better, I've played both the Emils and the Kranvagn, with marks on the E2 and the KRV. I agree with the above opinion that they are very team-dependent tanks and with most players seemingly terrified to let their precious tanks get scratched, that can be a risky proposition. Now in a gun line, they are very nice tanks to use, because as long as your hull is not exposed you can just sit there and watch the reds bounce round after round off your turret, with the Kranvagn, you are fully capable of bouncing even the JPZ E100 HEAT and AP as well as Deathstar AP rounds, HESH will still hurt though. Sitting atop a ridgeline is usually its best position, though anywhere you can hide your hull and unload your gun is a good position for you to be in.

As for the reload, it does get better. It drops to around 35-36 seconds with the Emil 2's top package and my Kranvagn reloads in 29.86 seconds, though that is including consumables, vents and the fact that it's a rank 9 crew.

Commander, 16th Armored Battalion "Viking" - Ask me about joining!

Lejonet från Norden​ - The Lion from the North

​MoE: ***: None // **: T-34-85 // *: T-44-100, Primo Victoria, Strv M-42/57, Emil II, VK 30.01D, AMX 13 57, Skoda T50, Indien-Pz., Leopard PT A, Fury, M4A3E2 Sherman, Kranvagn, Strv 81

​Technical Engineer: Sweden, Czechoslovakia (Working towards China and Britain)

xxFINIDITCHEVxx #13 Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 671 battles

View Postkiller etzi0, on 25 December 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

You are not wrong. The Leo with the Top gun is utter gash. If the enemy stop moving around so much, you can hit them. But even then they have to play ball and giv you time aim.

LacqueredBacon #14 Posted 09 February 2019 - 11:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32963 battles

View Postkiller etzi0, on 25 December 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Try the Leo again.  It is a very fun tank.  Just pretend you aren't a diamond with a strip through it but you are a triangle...a very fast triangle.

Try both guns.  I think you will like the 7.5cm more based on how I have seen you play previously.

LacqueredBacon #15 Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32963 battles

I actually also like the Emil 1.  But it is definitely not a brawling heavy.  You can't go anywhere by yourself.  The turret is incredibly strong and it has great gun depression.  Find a hill and put both to use.

I agree it is not a playstyle for everyone though.  You can only be aggressive in the second half of games.

JARL VARYAG #16 Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:41 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9040 battles
Running food is a must to get the reload down. I use binocs instead of optics as the base view range is bad and you can usually sit on a ridge-line safely and use binocs.

My honor is loyalty.

LacqueredBacon #17 Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32963 battles

View PostJARL VARYAG, on 22 February 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Running food is a must to get the reload down. I use binocs instead of optics as the base view range is bad and you can usually sit on a ridge-line safely and use binocs.

I understand the temptation but I would not recommend this.  The accuracy is terrible  so sitting so far back that you need binocs is not the advantage you think it would be.

Stay back, but not so far back that you need binocs.  Follow the other heavies around and shoot what they see.  As long as there is a spotter for you, it would be a wasted slot.  If you do this, I recommend replacing binocs with vents or optics.

JARL VARYAG #18 Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:11 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9040 battles

View PostLacqueredBacon, on 23 February 2019 - 06:33 AM, said:

I understand the temptation but I would not recommend this.  The accuracy is terrible  so sitting so far back that you need binocs is not the advantage you think it would be.

Stay back, but not so far back that you need binocs.  Follow the other heavies around and shoot what they see.  As long as there is a spotter for you, it would be a wasted slot.  If you do this, I recommend replacing binocs with vents or optics.

Taking binocs does not mean you have to sit back and snipe. They are for if I have to spot for myself in the end-game or if I end up last alive on a flank. I usually take binocs on tanks that cannot reach the max view range with just optics. My equipment is vents, vert stabs, and binocs.

My honor is loyalty.

cydewaze #19 Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6728 battles
  • [ALSRN]
I hate running into Emils. Can never pen the turret, and I always seem to find them with a full clip, so it's like a high-damage firehose. I should probably grind that line because I'm used to playing the Nomad with a 40+ second reload, and do fine in it.
Certified Potato! 1 MOE: M6 - T29 - T32 - M103 - Tiger I - Tiger II - E75 - Stug III G

LacqueredBacon #20 Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32963 battles

View PostJARL VARYAG, on 23 February 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

Taking binocs does not mean you have to sit back and snipe. They are for if I have to spot for myself in the end-game or if I end up last alive on a flank. I usually take binocs on tanks that cannot reach the max view range with just optics. My equipment is vents, vert stabs, and binocs.

Ok, binocs are for those that sit still and snipe.  Yes, they could be useful at the end of a game when you are spotting for yourself and do not want to move (aka let them come to me tactic).  But with only three equipment slots, that seems very situational to waste one of the slots.

I do not recommend binocs in the Emil I.  Optics or vents would be a better use of that slot that will help through the course of the entire game, not just the end if you are the sole green player left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users