FV217 Badger introduction question

FV215b FV215b 183 FV217 Badger

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

PhantomBlckGoat #1 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles
So I noticed a few days ago that the FV217 Badger is going to be getting introduced in the upcoming January update. I remember on PC when the Badger was introduced it replaced the FV215b 183 in the tech tree and anyone who had owned it got the Badger for free since the 183 was removed. Now I know there’s almost no chance they will remove the 183 from the tech tree on console (especially since the wthE100 still exists in the German line). My actual question is whether or not I would get the Badger if I spend my XP and buy the FV215b 183 now, or if I should just be safe and wait for the Badger itself. Apologies if this question had already been asked/answered, I’m new to the forums.

markyjmeech #2 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 30125 battles
  • [B-W-P]

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

So I noticed a few days ago that the FV217 Badger is going to be getting introduced in the upcoming January update. I remember on PC when the Badger was introduced it replaced the FV215b 183 in the tech tree and anyone who had owned it got the Badger for free since the 183 was removed. Now I know there’s almost no chance they will remove the 183 from the tech tree on console (especially since the wthE100 still exists in the German line). My actual question is whether or not I would get the Badger if I spend my XP and buy the FV215b 183 now, or if I should just be safe and wait for the Badger itself. Apologies if this question had already been asked/answered, I’m new to the forums.

You require 235,000 Xp to unlock the Badger :)

And welcome to the forum  :honoring:

Edited by markyjmeech, 05 January 2019 - 12:09 AM.

A prestigious member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club 

Twitch channel if anyone is interested  https://www.twitch.tv/markyjmeech Twitter @Markyjmeech Discord Markyjmeech SZQWCz9.jpg

PhantomBlckGoat #3 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:13 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles

View Postmarkyjmeech, on 05 January 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

You require 235,000 Xp to unlock the Badger :)

And welcome to the forum  :honoring:

I understand that part, my question is whether FV215b 183 owners would receive the Badger for free when it’s introduced (like they did on PC). If so I’d buy the 183 right now since I’d essentially be getting two Tier X TDs for the price of one.

KadinhPS #4 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:18 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 31197 battles
  • [VENGA]

No, you will have to unlock it extra.

markyjmeech #5 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:32 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 30125 battles
  • [B-W-P]

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 01:13 AM, said:

I understand that part, my question is whether FV215b 183 owners would receive the Badger for free when it’s introduced (like they did on PC). If so I’d buy the 183 right now since I’d essentially be getting two Tier X TDs for the price of one.

No you need the Xp for both tanks 

A prestigious member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club 

Twitch channel if anyone is interested  https://www.twitch.tv/markyjmeech Twitter @Markyjmeech Discord Markyjmeech SZQWCz9.jpg

PhantomBlckGoat #6 Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:36 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles

View Postmarkyjmeech, on 05 January 2019 - 12:32 AM, said:

No you need the Xp for both tanks 

Gotcha, guess it’s a good thing I saved my XP then

Sammael85 #7 Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:54 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22520 battles
  • [FAC]
You did well and just for unlocking it.

The Badger is actually way worse than the Tortoise, the only aspect it can surpass it isn't outstanding at all, and considering WGA's newest trend on nerfing the heck out of the newest additions i wouldn't expect anything from it.

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!

PhantomBlckGoat #8 Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:18 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles

View PostSammael85, on 05 January 2019 - 02:54 AM, said:

You did well and just for unlocking it.

The Badger is actually way worse than the Tortoise, the only aspect it can surpass it isn't outstanding at all, and considering WGA's newest trend on nerfing the heck out of the newest additions i wouldn't expect anything from it.

From what I’ve seen, I’d disagree. Only frontal weak spot appears to be the lower glacis (and even then I think it’s around 230mm of armor) and I’d rather have a weakness that can be hidden when hull-down than a massive machine gun port that you’ll have to expose every time you fire. Also it has higher DPM and alpha damage if I remember correctly as well. I know people are worried it will get nerfed but I highly doubt they will, hell it took them almost half a year to nerf the Object 268 V4 and people were talking about how overpowered that thing was even before it got a full release.

Sammael85 #9 Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22520 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 04:18 AM, said:

From what I’ve seen, I’d disagree. Only frontal weak spot appears to be the lower glacis (and even then I think it’s around 230mm of armor) and I’d rather have a weakness that can be hidden when hull-down than a massive machine gun port that you’ll have to expose every time you fire. Also it has higher DPM and alpha damage if I remember correctly as well. I know people are worried it will get nerfed but I highly doubt they will, hell it took them almost half a year to nerf the Object 268 V4 and people were talking about how overpowered that thing was even before it got a full release.

Actually the DpM is worse because the alpha is actually the same with a worse reload, price to pay when you have a vehicle unpennable in the front unless caught with the glacis off guard or else HEAT/APCR/Arty abused, when not trashed with an high caliber HE in the rear, i guess...

You can expect to it's mercenary version though, a tier X covered in spaced armor (which actually works like a pen/no-pen click in the game, not counting nominal values at all) and probably armed with an 183mm autoloader of HEAT doom, pin-point accuracy even at ranks where most tanks fails (that is, beyond 200m) You read it first!

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!

PhantomBlckGoat #10 Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles

View PostSammael85, on 05 January 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

Actually the DpM is worse because the alpha is actually the same with a worse reload, price to pay when you have a vehicle unpennable in the front unless caught with the glacis off guard or else HEAT/APCR/Arty abused, when not trashed with an high caliber HE in the rear, i guess...

You can expect to it's mercenary version though, a tier X covered in spaced armor (which actually works like a pen/no-pen click in the game, not counting nominal values at all) and probably armed with an 183mm autoloader of HEAT doom, pin-point accuracy even at ranks where most tanks fails (that is, beyond 200m) You read it first!

Actually the Badger has slightly higher DPM than the Tortoise, Tortoise has 3525 base DPM while the Badger has 3533 base DPM. Meanwhile the alpha for the Tortoise is 400, while Badger is 480. As for getting trashed by HE, I’d rather deal with that than have a massive weak point on the top everyone pens with regular AP, not to mention when they can’t they’ll just load gold. Arty would be a bigger problem for the Tortoise than it would for the Badger as well considering the difference in mobility between the two. I’m not exactly sure where you’re getting this negative opinion of it from.

Koncorde #11 Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22742 battles
Went out in my Tortoise a few times last couple of days. It struggles badly at the moment.

One of its great advantages, it's gun depression, unfortunately due to the low position of the gun within the chassis means that your upper 1/3rd including your main weak spots are presented constantly. Went up against a Russian 268, I had him every which way until Sunday, but for me to be able to hit him at 8 degrees of gun depression meant I had to be well within his viewing angle. He'd then retreat and I either had to present more of myself, or reverse and wait for him to come forwards... Which meant he could then see my Cupola long before I could see any of him I could pen.

I mean the design is what it is, but the balancing act of gun and vague armour Vs cupola and slow speed is not a fair trade. More hitpoints would be a fair addition. Make it not only tough to damage, but actually able to withstand that damage a little better.

PhantomBlckGoat #12 Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3260 battles

View PostKoncorde, on 05 January 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

Went out in my Tortoise a few times last couple of days. It struggles badly at the moment.

One of its great advantages, it's gun depression, unfortunately due to the low position of the gun within the chassis means that your upper 1/3rd including your main weak spots are presented constantly. Went up against a Russian 268, I had him every which way until Sunday, but for me to be able to hit him at 8 degrees of gun depression meant I had to be well within his viewing angle. He'd then retreat and I either had to present more of myself, or reverse and wait for him to come forwards... Which meant he could then see my Cupola long before I could see any of him I could pen.

I mean the design is what it is, but the balancing act of gun and vague armour Vs cupola and slow speed is not a fair trade. More hitpoints would be a fair addition. Make it not only tough to damage, but actually able to withstand that damage a little better.

Yes unfortunately it has a tough time with survivability against certain things. Kind of sad that the roof armor is conveniently thin enough to be overmatched by pretty much every Russian tank tier 8 and above. I guess not everything can have mistake-proof Stalinium armor like the Soviets get.

Sammael85 #13 Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22520 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Actually the Badger has slightly higher DPM than the Tortoise, Tortoise has 3525 base DPM while the Badger has 3533 base DPM. Meanwhile the alpha for the Tortoise is 400, while Badger is 480. As for getting trashed by HE, I’d rather deal with that than have a massive weak point on the top everyone pens with regular AP, not to mention when they can’t they’ll just load gold. Arty would be a bigger problem for the Tortoise than it would for the Badger as well considering the difference in mobility between the two. I’m not exactly sure where you’re getting this negative opinion of it from.

From the experience of actual PC  players that had actually used it.

Maybe in the paper is a good tank, but we all know how every new premium is "in the paper" according to the excessive optimistic descriptions that WG gives for their description :popcorn:

Hear me ROAR!!!

Haukkis #14 Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32150 battles

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Badger has worse DPM than Tortoise on console since wG nerfed it's DPM on console :(

Orbtastic1 #15 Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39262 battles
  • [UK]
I got pushed in my Sheridan so had to retreat and got sniped by one as I was jinking back to cover. So I watched the rest of the game and one on our team was holding a hill against a 430, Maus, T30 and something else. It was impressive to watch him bounce shot after shot and baiting them expertly and putting his DPM to use and slowing working all four down in turn. He did get penned a couple of times but he finished the game with some health and all four of the guys taking him on solo, died. In fact their whole team died. The Maus didn't pen him once and he took him for all his health, the 430 was bouncing heat off him like a boss too, that did give me some lols, particularly after he put two into me.

Also tagged with FV215b, FV215b 183, FV217, Badger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users