Spoils of War: Potemkin is awful and the victory conditions are a lie

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Vorpallion #1 Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:37 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6557 battles
  • [ICC1]
Many of the war stories suffer from being much too hard for too little reward (there is no way new players are beating some of these) but Potemkin is it's own special brand of awful. 

It's very badly balanced. I can start the 3rd wave with every single tank on my team still alive, and it always still ends up with me, alone (even my other artillery have died somehow) having two kill two Maus and 2-3 medium/light tanks by myself. No idea how they expect new players to do this. 

I've even lost by running out of ammo (which shows you how bad the balance is). Couldn't get over to the resupply in time (it's at the [edited]end of the map). 

But most importantly, the game is lying to you about the victory conditions. It says to keep the enemy from capturing the town - which I did. Got it down to one Maus who I heavily damaged, but he was behind a building and only taking minimal splash damage. I'd lob a shell onto him every so often to keep him from capping, in between peeking forward to spot him and then backing up so his gun didn't wreck me. I could not believe my eyes when, with no points in the cap circle, the game awarded the attacking team in assault the victory because the defenders hadn't killed all the tanks!

Instead of saying "defend the town" the victory conditions need to say "destroy all enemy tanks before the time runs out"

This war story is frustrating for me from start to finish. 

Edited by Vorpallion, 06 January 2019 - 06:52 AM.

SPUK4U #2 Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 11360 battles

I did this war story by ordering scout tanks away from the target area. They tend to rush back in for brawl if you don't keep pinging the map. Having most of those scouts alive in the end help alot with boss. This map is all about keeping your allyes alive for the end fight and it's hard as bots play like they all want to have a medal from stupidy.

- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

IBROX 04 #3 Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

Major

• Players
  • 20544 battles
  • [BNKR]
Did they nerf hight tiers earnings potential or across all tiers? Because i remember reading it was high tiers only in WS? Sorry for posting in your thread mate. I apologise. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference in low tier tanks? 

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

Vorpallion #4 Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6557 battles
  • [ICC1]

View PostSPUK4U, on 06 January 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

I did this war story by ordering scout tanks away from the target area. They tend to rush back in for brawl if you don't keep pinging the map. Having most of those scouts alive in the end help alot with boss. This map is all about keeping your allyes alive for the end fight and it's hard as bots play like they all want to have a medal from stupidy.

This might be what I am missing. How do you order your allies to do things? 

SPUK4U #5 Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 11360 battles

View PostVorpallion, on 06 January 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

This might be what I am missing. How do you order your allies to do things? 

They obey most of the team communication messages and if you ping the map they usually move. If they can they sent you a message. You may need to ping several times map to get them going as they really want to kill the enemy. In other War stories I find Sos message best as they move to help you. Not all bost obey your commands because they have a fixed place or role, but they can still shoot target you request them to shoot. Controlling bots is to key to win these war stories. Keeping them alive means you have more guns shooting the targets.

aegisbm #6 Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13746 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 06 January 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

Did they nerf hight tiers earnings potential or across all tiers? Because i remember reading it was high tiers only in WS? Sorry for posting in your thread mate. I apologise. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any difference in low tier tanks? 

from my experience Up to tier V it seems business as always, tier VI and VII you start getting way less silver and a bit less XP, tier VIII you start losing silver depending on the tank you use with noticeable less XP but still worth it IMO, tier IX and X however you earn about ten times less silver and little less than half the XP making it completely pointless for those tiers

View PostVorpallion, on 06 January 2019 - 06:37 AM, said:

Many of the war stories suffer from being much too hard for too little reward (there is no way new players are beating some of these) but Potemkin is it's own special brand of awful. 

It's very badly balanced. I can start the 3rd wave with every single tank on my team still alive, and it always still ends up with me, alone (even my other artillery have died somehow) having two kill two Maus and 2-3 medium/light tanks by myself. No idea how they expect new players to do this. 

I've even lost by running out of ammo (which shows you how bad the balance is). Couldn't get over to the resupply in time (it's at the [edited]end of the map). 

But most importantly, the game is lying to you about the victory conditions. It says to keep the enemy from capturing the town - which I did. Got it down to one Maus who I heavily damaged, but he was behind a building and only taking minimal splash damage. I'd lob a shell onto him every so often to keep him from capping, in between peeking forward to spot him and then backing up so his gun didn't wreck me. I could not believe my eyes when, with no points in the cap circle, the game awarded the attacking team in assault the victory because the defenders hadn't killed all the tanks!

Instead of saying "defend the town" the victory conditions need to say "destroy all enemy tanks before the time runs out"

This war story is frustrating for me from start to finish. 

You can try micromanaging your bots like you had already been advised to but in my experience most of the time they will do whatever they want even if you spam the orders , worse yet they can get stuck behind obstacles  or spinning in circles trying to follow your commands and all the time wasted trying to get them to help you is better spent raining death with the Toska, just keep trying, sometimes your bots spawn with unicum mode on and slaughter the red bots, even the Maus at the end,sometimes the last Maus parks behind the house covering itself perfectly from you and others it just parks in the middle of the cap completely out in the open, it largely depends on luck until you get the hang of the awesomeness of the artillery you are using, anyway, my advice would be to prioritize the lights and mediums, they love to flank and circle your allies, this is particularly important at the end,but there you need to kill the 3 artillery first, after that go for lights , mediums and  you can leave the mauses for last since they love to facehug your heavies bouncing their shells on their turrets all day long, also the AP shells on the Toska do monstrous damage to the maus if you hit them at a flat angle they wont have problem penning and again with a little bit of luck you can also get a fire erasing almost half its hp with one shot, heck I even ammo racked one once, like I said its a matter of a bit of luck and keep trying 

Scientia Potentia Est

Diamond Jig #7 Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43495 battles
Use the war story merc tank, don't recall it's name. always win with it easy

SPUK4U #8 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11360 battles

View PostDiamond Jig, on 07 January 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

Use the war story merc tank, don't recall it's name. always win with it easy

You can change tank only after you have passed the war story first time.  The tank is called Trinity and Live Fire mission from the first story used to give nice silver.

FinlandRed #9 Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21738 battles

View PostIBROX 04, on 06 January 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

WS earning was nerfed hard across the board. I used to use my Hundo on Alamien firing only std if I do that now I'll make a loss if I use a repair kit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users