Tips for the Sheridan tech tree line

Sheridan research grind tips light tanks

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

PhantomBlckGoat #1 Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3889 battles
So I recently just finished up grinding the Tortoise line and got my Badger. I’ve really been enjoying it so far, only took 4 games to get my first mastery badge with it (7.5k damage combined). Now that I’m done I’ve been thinking about which line I should grind: I already have my Badger, have the E75 (my favorite heavy), and my favorite medium with the M4A3E2, so now I’m looking at light tanks. The Sheridan and T49 have always looked very intriguing to me. Their play style with the 152mm guns seems very unique and fun to me so I’m thinking about grinding that line next. I’d like to know what to expect from this line, I had enough free XP to skip everything up to the M24 Chaffee at tier 5 so we can eliminate all the low tier vehicles. Tips, tricks, suggestions on how to make them work to their best, and what to avoid would be appreciated. Cheers!

Orbtastic1 #2 Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]

It's all about view range really, they have horrible camo because they're so big. I personally, for reasons of consistency, did not go derp on the T49 once it moved to Tier 9. The  baby 105mm is a nice gun on the Sheridan.

So max out your view range with skills/equipment. You will want sixth sense, safe stowage and I personally run wet ammo rack on the Bulldog and T49 because it is comically bad. So WAR/optics/vents, I think. I have optics/vents/vstab on my Sheridan, it does miss but that's usually because I'm not playing it like a TD. The pen can lack but it has a 280mm pen HEAT round which isn't bad but still lacking in comparison to the 330mm pen rounds on the T10 mediums and heavies. The HE round is decent ish too for Waffles etc.

As I say, I don't run the derp. I have and did when it was a tier 8 gun but since they moved up the Bulldog and reshuffled I haven't bothered.

The Bulldog is "ok" now but nowhere near as good as it was at T7 with the autoloader, it's pretty toothless now but still quite nippy, albeit the acceleration is a little slow.

I don't really play them any differently to how I play the Chaffee or T37. The 2 "new" autoloading T7s are garbage compared to the Lycan, they have 25mm less pen on the standard APCR rounds and from memory, 30m less view range. You will get outplayed by all other T7 lights.

I think the Lycan is my favourite T7 tank if not the entire game, it's what the old T71 TT used to be before they nerfed and rebalanced the light TT.

I 3 marked them all from 5-7 and keep hovering around 90% on the Bulldog. The T49 is better now with the APCR rounds and much more consistent. some play it with the 152mm for lolz but it's just not worth it imo. I really like the Sheridan, it's a spotting machine and pretty nimble but the DPM isn't great and the pen is lacking when compared to the other high tier 105mm and 100mm guns so be prepared to bounce a fair bit, even from the side as the APCR rounds have huge drop off over range.

PhantomBlckGoat #3 Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3889 battles

View PostOrbtastic1, on 09 January 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

It's all about view range really, they have horrible camo because they're so big. I personally, for reasons of consistency, did not go derp on the T49 once it moved to Tier 9. The  baby 105mm is a nice gun on the Sheridan.

So max out your view range with skills/equipment. You will want sixth sense, safe stowage and I personally run wet ammo rack on the Bulldog and T49 because it is comically bad. So WAR/optics/vents, I think. I have optics/vents/vstab on my Sheridan, it does miss but that's usually because I'm not playing it like a TD. The pen can lack but it has a 280mm pen HEAT round which isn't bad but still lacking in comparison to the 330mm pen rounds on the T10 mediums and heavies. The HE round is decent ish too for Waffles etc.

As I say, I don't run the derp. I have and did when it was a tier 8 gun but since they moved up the Bulldog and reshuffled I haven't bothered.

The Bulldog is "ok" now but nowhere near as good as it was at T7 with the autoloader, it's pretty toothless now but still quite nippy, albeit the acceleration is a little slow.

I don't really play them any differently to how I play the Chaffee or T37. The 2 "new" autoloading T7s are garbage compared to the Lycan, they have 25mm less pen on the standard APCR rounds and from memory, 30m less view range. You will get outplayed by all other T7 lights.

I think the Lycan is my favourite T7 tank if not the entire game, it's what the old T71 TT used to be before they nerfed and rebalanced the light TT.

I 3 marked them all from 5-7 and keep hovering around 90% on the Bulldog. The T49 is better now with the APCR rounds and much more consistent. some play it with the 152mm for lolz but it's just not worth it imo. I really like the Sheridan, it's a spotting machine and pretty nimble but the DPM isn't great and the pen is lacking when compared to the other high tier 105mm and 100mm guns so be prepared to bounce a fair bit, even from the side as the APCR rounds have huge drop off over range.

I started playing the Chaffee a little bit last night, it’s a great scout tank but I definitely see what you mean with it lacking offensive ability. I think once I get to the T49 and Sheridan I’ll probably be using the 152mm. I just can’t stand low penetration guns that rely on AP rounds, I know it can be very inconsistent but one thing I learned from vehicles like the KV2 and FV215 183 is that sometimes the mere sight of a large gun is enough to make a team think twice about engaging you. I also like that even it doesn’t pen you’re almost guaranteed to do at least some damage, not mention you can easily one-shot sky pigs. As for the lack of camo values, I usually like the play an active scout role (not to be confused with suicide scouting) and I have some experience from the M41 90mm premium tank in that aspect. I’ll also start training camo skills with my crew since I already have sixth sense and BIA, thanks for the help.

steelheadclan #4 Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15438 battles
  • [REAL]

View PostPhantomBlckGoat, on 09 January 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

I started playing the Chaffee a little bit last night, it’s a great scout tank but I definitely see what you mean with it lacking offensive ability. I think once I get to the T49 and Sheridan I’ll probably be using the 152mm. I just can’t stand low penetration guns that rely on AP rounds, I know it can be very inconsistent but one thing I learned from vehicles like the KV2 and FV215 183 is that sometimes the mere sight of a large gun is enough to make a team think twice about engaging you. I also like that even it doesn’t pen you’re almost guaranteed to do at least some damage, not mention you can easily one-shot sky pigs. As for the lack of camo values, I usually like the play an active scout role (not to be confused with suicide scouting) and I have some experience from the M41 90mm premium tank in that aspect. I’ll also start training camo skills with my crew since I already have sixth sense and BIA, thanks for the help.

if you can make the Chaffee work you’ll do fine in the  American lights. 

The whole line from tier 5 on up is decent to excellent. 

Maximize vision and play cautiously while still spotting. 

I prefer the 90 and 105 on T49 and Sheridan as they’re a lot more consistent but the derp is certainly a blast:)

PhantomBlckGoat #5 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3889 battles

View Poststeelheadclan, on 09 January 2019 - 07:11 PM, said:

if you can make the AMX Chaffee work you’ll do fine in the  American lights. 

The whole line from tier 5 on up is decent to excellent. 

Maximize vision and play cautiously while still spotting. 

I prefer the 90 and 105 on T49 and Sheridan as they’re a lot more consistent but the derp is certainly a blast:)

I found the Chaffee to be a pretty painless grind, my win rate was close to around 70% with it and although I didn’t get a mastery badge with it I came close in numerous games. The T37 on the other hand has been a problem, not because the tank is bad but because the matchmaking seems to hate me now that I’ve moved on. My teams utterly refuse to hit the enemies I spot, it’s almost like they forgot how to play. I had 2 games in a row earlier end 15-1.

Orbtastic1 #6 Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]
The T37's rounds are pretty good, I found it to be an effective sniper in a way you just couldn't with the Chaffee. I think the prem rounds are ~200mm, which is nuts in comparison to the Chaffee, which can't reliably pen a Tiger with its standard rounds.

RangerCharlie75 #7 Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17653 battles
  • [USAV]

My favorite line.

Yes the long guns are more consistent, but the derps are for giggles. My problem was I'd get maps that needed long guns when I had the derp...Long range shots with the derp is a roll of the dice

Ghoest9 #8 Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:08 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17083 battles

The Chaffee, the T-37 and the Bulldog are are all good tanks and play similarly. They are all balanced lights capable of dog fighting, spotting and modest sniping. The T71 is a very good tank. it gets worse pen than the Lycan - but its get normal matching making whereas the Lycan is never top tier.  . 

The T49 is good with the derp - but requires a unique plays style that it shares only with the derp Shreiden. - definitely not for everyone. Playing it right often anger idiot team mates who  expect normal light play with you.. If you dont use the derp and play it like other tier 9 lights then its pretty much the worst tier 9 light.

Edited by Ghoest9, 10 January 2019 - 02:12 PM.

Orbtastic1 #9 Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]
The Lycan can be top tier, I had one earlier and screen capped it for truth. It does happen, just not that often. When I was 3 marking the 3 of them I had some Tier 7 games in all but not  that many in the Lycan.

Ghoest9 #10 Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17083 battles

View PostOrbtastic1, on 11 January 2019 - 08:57 PM, said:

The Lycan can be top tier, I had one earlier and screen capped it for truth. It does happen, just not that often. When I was 3 marking the 3 of them I had some Tier 7 games in all but not  that many in the Lycan.

i happens when match making is having a har time either finding a match for you or having a hard time filling a battle. 

In normal conditions you will never be top tier with a Lycan. 

steelheadclan #11 Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15438 battles
  • [REAL]

I disagree with the above statement that T49 is worst tier 9 light. 

I have a fair amount of games in 13 90, T54 ltwt and T49 and with the 90mm or 152mm I think it’s right up there with it’s competition. 

I rather enjoy playing the T49 even after getting the Sheridan. 

alex0lok #12 Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19287 battles
  • [BUP]

T49 is a great light tank. I use the 152mm and just reached two marks. It can’t dogfight with other same tier lights but there’s nothing stopping it from normal scouting. I have a 10-skill crew in it however.

In my opinion, if you prefer a normal single-shot 240-250 alpha gun, you would be better off drivng the T-54 light or the RU-251. T49 is completely about the memes. AMX 13 90 is monstrous but has its unique gameplay. I don’t have or encounter the WZ-132A enough to comment on it.

Orbtastic1 #13 Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]

View PostGhoest9, on 12 January 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

i happens when match making is having a har time either finding a match for you or having a hard time filling a battle. 

In normal conditions you will never be top tier with a Lycan. 

Yeah, I know how the matchmaking works. You said it's never top tier, like it was impossible. It's not. It can/does happen.I played a bunch of games yesterday to grind out the final leg of the OP and there were plenty of tanks about and got top tier twice.

RangerCharlie75 #14 Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17653 battles
  • [USAV]

I kept the Chaffee, T49, and Sheridan crewed so I can go back and play them as they are that fun.

Ghoest9 #15 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17083 battles

View PostOrbtastic1, on 13 January 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yeah, I know how the matchmaking works. You said it's never top tier, like it was impossible. It's not. It can/does happen.I played a bunch of games yesterday to grind out the final leg of the OP and there were plenty of tanks about and got top tier twice.

/eye roll

Im sorry my post confused next time Ill add a caveat explaining match making exception so you dont become confused and excited. 

mockney_piers #16 Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9891 battles
  • [FILTH]

i played the chaffee quite passively, roughly equal spotting & damage.

T37 a leeeetle bit less so, but you can still get away with it at tier 6.

I tried it with the Bulldog and took a while to learn that it's a hiding to nothing.

Playing it more in the usual active @ start, wait for line to approach and drop back to a sniping, opportunistic isolated executioner, survive to end game, of all higher tier lights.

Those stats are turning.....

Orbtastic1 #17 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]

View PostGhoest9, on 14 January 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

/eye roll

Im sorry my post confused next time Ill add a caveat explaining match making exception so you dont become confused and excited. 

I'm not confused. I know what "never" means.

Orbtastic1 #18 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42010 battles
  • [UK]

View Postmockney_piers, on 15 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

i played the chaffee quite passively, roughly equal spotting & damage.

T37 a leeeetle bit less so, but you can still get away with it at tier 6.

I tried it with the Bulldog and took a while to learn that it's a hiding to nothing.

Playing it more in the usual active @ start, wait for line to approach and drop back to a sniping, opportunistic isolated executioner, survive to end game, of all higher tier lights.

Those stats are turning.....

The size of the bulldog and the bigger and more destructive guns 2 tiers up makes it more risky, plus the game is a lot more campy with bigger gun TDs and with the proliferation of higher tier lights means that the "old" scouting play can be hard.

Most maps now will have another light (or 3) countering your usual plays, so it becomes almost a game of spot and not get hit, so on what would have been the perfect map or two for a light 1-2 years ago becomes an exercise in tedium. Doing what you've said there is what I've had to resort to on most open maps now - push up, spot, get spotted, fall back, check retreat lanes, get some hard cover, move back...rinse repeat. See your team isn't hitting anything anyway so pull back to another line and work it again.

It can be a chore playing lights now, particularly higher tier ones. I'm still playing the T7-8 lights even though I've unlocked the T10s but I do get frustrated with both the BC12t and the Bulldog in a lot of lobbies/maps.

PhantomBlckGoat #19 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3889 battles
Update: I’m all the way up to the T71 CMCD right now and just finished researching all the components for it. I’m really starting to enjoy this line of tanks, I’ve achieved a mastery badge in every vehicle so far except for the Chaffee (although I got close a few times). In fact, I think my win rate is above 58% with every one of them as of writing this. 

mockney_piers #20 Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9891 battles
  • [FILTH]

omg @orb, you'd have loved this lobby in the BC-12T i witnessed the other day :D

Sadly he wasn't quite equal to the task.

Also tagged with Sheridan, research, grind, tips, light tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users