Random Questions: Week 4 of Playing and Learning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

big_o_man_14 #1 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:27 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 518 battles

Hello, starting my second thread.  I have learned a lot with everyone's help and now have a much better understanding of how the game is played.  Thanks!  I have read many threads and watched many, many, videos as well.  So far, I only have the premium Ram II U.S. tier 5 that I purchased playing consistantly.  Yesterday I bought 180 days of premium and about 2-3 war chests just for kicks.  (No tanks won)

Just have a few questions to help me plan going forward as I think I will be sticking with this game for a long while.  Thank you in advance for your patience.

1.  Since I now have 180 days of premium, if a 360 day premium deal comes up and I jump on it while the current 180 days is still active, will the 360 days just get added to the back of the 180 days, or do I need to let the 180 days run out first?  Also, what if I purchase say, 3 or 4 years worth of premium time and I replace my PS4 due to it not working or upgrade to PS5 (just as example), does WOT retain all of my premium, personal and tank history?

2.  I've read plenty about tiers and grinding, and the progression of obtaining new tanks.  It seems there are two choices you can make regarding progressing.  You can pick a tank line, grind through tanks and move up, or you can choose to buy premiums, special deals, etc.  Is my understanding ball park correct?

3.  I've read plenty about the match making process (3-5-7), algorithms, etc.  Seems there is much debate about this.  Many unhappy players, some hopeful, and some not too much concerned.  I fall into the not too much concerned and doing this to have fun camp.  I'm planning to maybe make tank purchases of a heavy tank and maybe another medium.  If I want to remain playing against the tiers V to VII, I need to purchase no more than a tier VII tank, correct?  If I purchase a tier VIII, I will be playing against tiers VIII to X only, correct?

4.  Of course I'm still learning to play the US Ram II premium and having fun with it.  Since I'm planning on purchasing a heavy tank and maybe another medium, I need to be able to see spec comparisons to start at a top level.  Attached is an excel file I started with some base line specs to help me easily see specs at a top level.  Does a comparison tool or table already exist to compare multiple tank specs?  The second part of my research would be to look at armor, weak spots, angles, reviews, etc, etc.  Note: that on the excel file, the V Ram II is highlighted in yellow because that is what I am currently mostly using now and what I can knowledgeably compare too.  The gray highlighted tanks, are tanks you all have recommended to me as a beginner.  Other tanks I added because I played against them, got destroyed by them or I saw specs and wondered how they compared to everything else.  I'll probably continue to add tanks and specs as I research.  So back to the question, does such a comparison tool exist already?

5.  Last question, thank you for hanging with me.  I want to sell my T22 and light tank to clean up garage of tank I won't be using and open up slots.  Is there a cost for this or is there a reason not to sell these?

Thanks again for your help and patience.

Big O

Attached Files

Akumahito #2 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16194 battles
  • [MOAB]

View Postbig_o_man_14, on 10 January 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hello, starting my second thread.  I have learned a lot with everyone's help and now have a much better understanding of how the game is played.  Thanks!  I have read many threads and watched many, many, videos as well.  So far, I only have the premium Ram II U.S. tier 5 that I purchased playing consistantly.  Yesterday I bought 180 days of premium and about 2-3 war chests just for kicks.  (No tanks won)

Just have a few questions to help me plan going forward as I think I will be sticking with this game for a long while.  Thank you in advance for your patience.

1.  Since I now have 180 days of premium, if a 360 day premium deal comes up and I jump on it while the current 180 days is still active, will the 360 days just get added to the back of the 180 days, or do I need to let the 180 days run out first?  Also, what if I purchase say, 3 or 4 years worth of premium time and I replace my PS4 due to it not working or upgrade to PS5 (just as example), does WOT retain all of my premium, personal and tank history?

Premium time gets added you do not have to wait, your data is in the cloud.  So long as you stay on Playstation platform all your tanks and premium data is tied to your account, you can not however take your tanks to XBox or PC

2.  I've read plenty about tiers and grinding, and the progression of obtaining new tanks.  It seems there are two choices you can make regarding progressing.  You can pick a tank line, grind through tanks and move up, or you can choose to buy premiums, special deals, etc.  Is my understanding ball park correct?

Not really a choice per say, you can do both.  But just understand that all the exp you earn on a premium tank can not be used for unlocking other tanks unless you spend real money.  If you spend money, the exp gets moved from the tank up to your "Free XP" which is listed in the top right corner of your garage screen.  Free XP can then be used to unlock tanks and packages of your choosing.

Similarly once you fully research all the packages for a tank in the Tech tree, it will become "Elite" and all the XP you earn thereafter will be able to be converted using gold, just like premiums.

3.  I've read plenty about the match making process (3-5-7), algorithms, etc.  Seems there is much debate about this.  Many unhappy players, some hopeful, and some not too much concerned.  I fall into the not too much concerned and doing this to have fun camp.  I'm planning to maybe make tank purchases of a heavy tank and maybe another medium.  If I want to remain playing against the tiers V to VII, I need to purchase no more than a tier VII tank, correct?  If I purchase a tier VIII, I will be playing against tiers VIII to X only, correct?

Be careful in your research that you are only looking at console specific data.  3-5-7 is the matchmaking component for the PC version of the game, ours is different, though I couldn't explain it to you.

Whatever tank you play Tier wise you will see enemies and friendlies within 2 tiers.  So at Tier 8, you could be top dog and be against enemies as low as Tier 6, or vice versa, you could be bottom runt playing against 10's

4.  Of course I'm still learning to play the US Ram II premium and having fun with it.  Since I'm planning on purchasing a heavy tank and maybe another medium, I need to be able to see spec comparisons to start at a top level.  Attached is an excel file I started with some base line specs to help me easily see specs at a top level.  Does a comparison tool or table already exist to compare multiple tank specs?  The second part of my research would be to look at armor, weak spots, angles, reviews, etc, etc.  Note: that on the excel file, the V Ram II is highlighted in yellow because that is what I am currently mostly using now and what I can knowledgeably compare too.  The gray highlighted tanks, are tanks you all have recommended to me as a beginner.  Other tanks I added because I played against them, got destroyed by them or I saw specs and wondered how they compared to everything else.  I'll probably continue to add tanks and specs as I research.  So back to the question, does such a comparison tool exist already?

Try This Site to compare tanks.  Tanks GG is another site you can use but be wary as this site uses PC tank data.

5.  Last question, thank you for hanging with me.  I want to sell my T22 and light tank to clean up garage of tank I won't be using and open up slots.  Is there a cost for this or is there a reason not to sell these?

Selling tanks is fine, just be advised you only get Half the purchase price of your tank back in silver, if you ever decide you want it back you are going to have to pay more than you get to get it back (Tech Tree tanks)

- You can also sell premium tanks and receive silver in compensation.  Should you ever decide you want that premium tank back you have to submit a support ticket for an exception, they will charge you however much silver you got for selling it to restore it.  You can only file a certain number of exceptions per year, and can get only so many tanks back per ticket.  Also iirc you can only restore tanks sold within the last year.

Big O

Edited by Akumahito, 10 January 2019 - 06:02 PM.

Akumahito #3 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16194 battles
  • [MOAB]

Just to add... Usually they offer 360 days of premium at a 180 day price on Black Friday the last two years I've taken advantage.

2017 I bought the 1 year premium deal, and because of all the premium they give away during the course of a year in ops and the such, by the time 2018 black friday came I still had about 4 or 6 months left.

Wakkomaster #4 Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11772 battles

Hey there Big O,

let's see if I can help you out!

1) The premium days add up. They too add up if you buy a special package tank that already includes premium days: let's say you have 180 days, then buy a Loaded tank bundle with 7 days of premium gametime, you end up with 187.

The same goes if you win extra premium time through ops, get them in in chests and so on.

As for the account portability, I don't know yet, but I assume the same account will be used on both PS4 and PS5 just like the same Xbox account is used on 360 and one.

But, with Sony, you can never tell…

2) Let's say that "grinding" (or better, "researching") new tech-tree tanks is the core game, a bit like levelling your character in a MMORPG. The higher tiers are the real carrot on the end of the stick, getting to them might be your personal goal.

Alongside these you have premium tanks, which are helpful tools and can add entertainment, but I hardly consider them an option opposed to the tech tree which has the obvious feature to give some sort of progression that goes along the learning curve. Beside, there are no Premium Tanks past tier VIII, so in order to reach the carrot, you have to research a line till the end.

Premium tanks are great for earning silver, training crews and easily get a tank of a particular class or nation that otherwise you're not interested in (let's say you're not really into American Heavy Tanks, but would like to have one without the hassle to research the Whole line, you can buy a T34 for example).

3) Personally I'm not too concerned about it either. I'll try to make it short: a tank will generally "see" tanks two tiers below and above its own. So a Tier V will fight against Tier III-V, or Tier IV-VI, or V-VII so yes, a Tier VIII tank won't fight against tier V tanks and viceversa.

I'll leave a more in-depth answer to more experienced fellow tankers.

4) Yep, there are specialized websites such as http://www.worldofta...nkProfiler.aspx

5) When you sell a tank you get half of the price, upgrades included, but since Tier I tanks cost 0 credits plus upgrades you won't get much. On the other hand you can buy it back easily for free plus the cost of upgrades. So up until Tier III you can sell and buy back tanks with no hassle. However as the price increases esponentially with Tiers things get a little hairy once you get to Tier V and on.

If you don't mind spending some gold though I might advise on looking for the 10-garage at 1500 gold among the special offers (50% discount!), that should get you settled for a while.

I hope this was of help :great:

Currently playing World of Tanks on:

Xbox - Wakkomaster

You can also find me on:

Playstation - Wakkopresi

PC - Wakkomaster

Aelgyn #5 Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13921 battles

View Postbig_o_man_14, on 10 January 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

It's up to what you want to get out of the game. If you want tech tree (TT) tanks, then you'll have to grind through the respective lines to get them.

Premium tanks offer various advantages and sometimes they're exact copies of TT tanks. Their advantages are:

- they give you bonuses of experience and silver so you can accumulate both faster. The experience helps you train crews faster.

- they take any crew, so you can use all crews of one nation with any of the Premium tanks of that nation.

- they sometimes give you preferential matchmaking (PMM), which means that you don't get to see tanks of 2 tiers higher (in some special cases, you never see tanks of higher tier at all).

For these advantages, you often (but not always) get some disadvantages in Premium tanks. These usually come in the form of the tank not being equipped with the top equipment (compared to TT tanks), so you may be missing a top engine or a top gun option. Sometimes you get mixes of a low tier hull with a high tier turret, or the other way around.

Some Premium tanks can also offer special advantages, like dual nation support, so be aware of those.

On console, you normally see 3 tiers. So if you have a tier V tank, you can either be top tier and encounter tiers III-V or you can be bottom tier and encounter tiers V-VII. If you don't want to see tier VIII, you should either play only regular tier V tanks or play a tier VI that has PMM and can only see up to tier VII. When you select a tank in your garage, it will tell you what is the highest tier it can encounter.

You may also occasionally see tanks that are of lower tier than expected. For example, you can see a tier IV in a tier V-VII match. That can happen if the tier IV is platooning with a tier V and gets dragged into a higher tier battle. People call that 'platooning fail' and it's frowned upon. Also, light tanks used to see higher tiers, but there's been a change at some point and now their matchmaking is the same as for all other tank categories.

Unfortunately, there is no side-by-side comparison tool. You can find some tools online, but they're usually covering the PC tanks, which are not the same as the console tanks - they're close, but there can be significant differences.

The best tool available is the inspection tool that you have with tanks or a tank package in store: press Y and you'll get a detailed view of all the tank's parameters. But comparing 2 tanks is still difficult because you can't easily flip between their views. You could use your phone to take some pics of the screen information and then compare them. I wish WG would come up with a solution, but remember that some years ago we didn't even have this information available - all that the game displayed back then were basic stats.

You can sell TT tanks that you don't intend to play anymore. You'll only get back half of the Silver you spent on them, but if you're done playing them and need the garage slot, then it makes sense to sell them.

You should not sell premium tanks unless you have a really good reason (like perhaps you have the same tank with 2 different skins and only want to play 1 copy). Yes, you may be able to reverse the sale by opening a support ticket, but why waste time with that process? Just invest carefully in Premium tanks and they'll always provide a source of Silver that will easily surpass what you would get by selling them.

One last advice: be patient with this game and take your time to learn its system. Many aspects can be obscure, but there is more information available in-game now than there was some years ago, so you should have an easier time than we did. :)

Hope this helps and good luck on the battlefield!

FRlGHTKNIGHT #6 Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2678 battles
  • [ASYLM]

Play your premium tank until you get 5 or 6 crew skills, then use that driver to gring the line. If you have multple premiums of the same nation, then switch the same driver between them for your daily times 2s to really boost the training.

Save your free xp up to get past low tiers. They're full of seal clubbing muppets. Avoid them at all costs.

Save your silver and research the tier tens before you grind them. Not all tank are created equal. 

I know this doesn't answer your question, but other people already did that. I was late to the party.

Also, if you see an arty, drown it, ram it, shoot it, jump on it. Delete it at all costs with great hate and vemom....light tanks too. 

Good luck.

MaxChaos24 #7 Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12242 battles
  • [WGW]

View Postbig_o_man_14, on 10 January 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Big O

Just to add some other information not covered by the answers given already: 

1. It just gets added to the existing time left, up to 5 Years. 5 Years is the maximum amount of Premium Time that an account can have. 

3. As others mentioned, that's PC's matchmaking system which is different to Console. You can read how it works on Console here: https://console.worl...ws/mm-explained

pingwrx #8 Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20745 battles

Here's a link to a site that will let you compare your tanks on console lots of info on that site.

http://www.worldoftanksxboxguide.com/index.html

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users