WZ 120

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

LacqueredBacon #21 Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35425 battles

Comparing the WZ-120 100mm gun to the two options on the T-54 was interesting.  I found that the 100 mm gun on the WZ-120 is better compared to the D-54 gun on the T-54.  The D-54 gun on the T-54 is the gun no one chooses because it sucks when compared to the other option.

The two are similar in most categories with the WZ-120 getting the slight nod in reload (8.0 sec vs 8.2 sec.), accuracy (0.38 vs 0.39, and aim time (2.3 s vs 2.9 s).  They have same gun elevation/depression and damage.  Penetration with standard ammo is about the same (219mm vs 215mm). The largest discrepancy with the premium rounds.  The T-54 fires heat which has 330mm pen vs APCR for the WZ-120 with only 265mm pen.  That is a huge difference.

Frankly, the crappy gun on the T-54 that no one uses would probably be a better choice than the 100mm gun on the WZ-120.

So I guess that means using the 100mm gun on the WZ-120 instead of the top 122mm gun is not a very good alternative. I guess I'll stick with the top gun and its 3 deg of gun depression.

FYI, I just had a match on Prok.  This is the first medium tank I had where I felt  going to the center ridge was not the best option.  I am not liking this tank.

steelheadclan #22 Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15609 battles
  • [REAL]

3 degrees of depression is tragic. 

LacqueredBacon #23 Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35425 battles

View Poststeelheadclan, on 08 November 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

3 degrees of depression is tragic. 

It makes the great turret completely irrelevant since you have to expose the hull in just about every situation.

steelheadclan #24 Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15609 battles
  • [REAL]

View PostLacqueredBacon, on 08 November 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

It makes the great turret completely irrelevant since you have to expose the hull in just about every situation.

that’s what I was thinking. 

everyone I know who went down that line at first says “hell yea! I’m gonna wreck people :izmena:“ and 25 games later it’s always :facepalm:

Nahkaelain #25 Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:31 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 27123 battles
  • [JUHUT]

You guys really don't get the essense of some tanks. This one is "special", meaning you don't play it like you play most mediums, it is not even build for that.

Use it as support tank to guard your front line heavys (if you happen to find ones in these days) and you realize how freakishly great the thing is, it is even OP in its tear.

You don't try to compensate the weak points of the tank either, it is close brawler not meant to fight alone. So all in to reload speed and mobility, it is all you need with it.

You can do some small flanking, if it means you get behind the tanks that are fighting your own front tanks but that is about it, forget the half map runs as it is completely useless thing to do with this tank.

What comes to gun depression, use the terrain. Even the smallest rock below your tracks raises your tank. Put that rock behind your backtracks and you cover your lower plate and have all the gun depression you could ever dream of, because of the good elevation you don't bumb up on the trouble of not being able to shoot. This tank takes thinking, so ye, it is not like 430U what with you can just drive forward and shoot everything (just because people don't know where to shoot it but you can pen it quite easily in reality), it is a tank what with you have to be creative as someone suggested before.

Constant moving and close shooting is the key and if you do stop in some spot, use the terrains geography as it draws out this tanks potential to the fullest, which is not little.

There are quite a few "special" tanks in this game, you just have to think out of the box sometimes.

Edited by Nahkaelain, 09 November 2019 - 11:33 PM.

LacqueredBacon #26 Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35425 battles

Well, I am not sure about all of that but it is a pretty good tank once you get used to it.  You have to be patient with this tank, IMO.  And because of the uniqueness, you have to read the battlefield a little more.  There is also a lot of variance from game to game (at least for me) in terms of results.  I imagine if they would give the standard deviation along with the average, it would a wide range of results.

I still think it could use something.  It is by far my worst performing tier IX medium tank by a good margin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users