Should I bother buying the Maus?

Mauschen Maus

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Schiavoser #1 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36069 battles

I had all these XP boosts, and decided to apply them to a quick grind of the VK.100.01 P and most of the way through the Mauschen. Tier VIII was fine, but I find the Mauschen to be an underwhelming experience. It's a bit annoying trying to reach a skirmish before either my team on that flank are dead or there are no more reds to shoot. So yeah, the tank is very slow, but this was expected. I can live with that.

What I didn't expect was how easy is it for reds to penetrate the front of the Tier IX superheavy.  If the tank is going to be this slow and vulnerable to flankers, shouldn't it have more formidable armor up front? 

I should unlock the Maus in a day or two. But I wonder if I should bother spending the silver on it. The cannon is the same (with a slower RAF for some strange reason :confused:), but it seems to have stronger armor. Is it enough to reliably bounce/absorb shots in a way that is noticeably greater than the Mauschen? Would anyone with experience enlighten me? Thanks!

Zxyphos #2 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18182 battles
  • [RATT]
I played the Mauschen enough to one mark it, but as you alluded to: it's very slow. Not really a fan of the play style of either of these tanks. 

John Arrowsmith #3 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 75035 battles
Well all those deathstar players need the free dmg,  so yes,  you should get it.:teethhappy:

World of tanks Auto lock edition,  because aiming shouldn't be a skill.

Sgt Becket FEAR #4 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

From what I have been told, the Maus is only worth it if it fits your playstyle.

I personally cannot stand slow Super Heavies.

Commander of Rosa "Queen of Hearts"

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

Restless_Vermin #5 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 38682 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I had all these XP boosts, and decided to apply them to a quick grind of the VK.100.01 P and most of the way through the Mauschen. Tier VIII was fine, but I find the Mauschen to be an underwhelming experience. It's a bit annoying trying to reach a skirmish before either my team on that flank are dead or there are no more reds to shoot. So yeah, the tank is very slow, but this was expected. I can live with that.

What I didn't expect was how easy is it for reds to penetrate the front of the Tier IX superheavy.  If the tank is going to be this slow and vulnerable to flankers, shouldn't it have more formidable armor up front? 

I should unlock the Maus in a day or two. But I wonder if I should bother spending the silver on it. The cannon is the same (with a slower RAF for some strange reason :confused:), but it seems to have stronger armor. Is it enough to reliably bounce/absorb shots in a way that is noticeably greater than the Mauschen? Would anyone with experience enlighten me? Thanks!

I stopped at the VK it sapped my will to live. Will get the maus done when I’ve finished other ‘more fun’ grinds

ComputingAxe #6 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23366 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 January 2019 - 04:47 PM, said:

From what I have been told, the Maus is only worth it if it fits your playstyle.

I personally cannot stand slow Super Heavies.

I can cook lasagne by the time I get into battle lol.

THIS FONT IS LOVELY

Lets derp

Schiavoser #7 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36069 battles
I'm not complaining about getting tagged by the FV4005 or FV215b (183). What I'm getting tired of is all the heavies and mediums pecking away at the Mauschen. I was hoping for more reliable armor. But so far not so much luck. Wondering if I just need to ascend to Maus in order to play the tank they way I expected I could.

t_wilson01 #8 Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:54 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18711 battles
  • [FURY]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 14 January 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well all those deathstar players need the free dmg,  so yes,  you should get it.:teethhappy:

:)

Yesterday a player on my team did 3.5k damage and blocked 9k with a Maus. I wish I could play like that.

Sgt Becket FEAR #9 Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostComputingAxe, on 14 January 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

I can cook lasagne by the time I get into battle lol.

:D

Need help with the Tiger I? PM me or see my guide: Becket's Tiger Guide | Short novel about Rosa: Rosa: Queen of Hearts

swimwithwhales #10 Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 35715 battles
i say get it. its a very niche tier 10 but when the WOT gods smile and give you good MM its hilarious bouncing 5k+ damage.  

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people"

banner.png?0.8023747053535346

ComputingAxe #11 Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23366 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 January 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

:D

This is pretty ironic as I play with the AT line, and it feels like the war ended before I got there lol.

THIS FONT IS LOVELY

Lets derp

Sgt Becket FEAR #12 Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

Major

• Players
  • 10423 battles
  • [ROSA]

View PostComputingAxe, on 14 January 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

This is pretty ironic as I play with the AT line, and it feels like the war ended before I got there lol.

LOL I still remember my first match in my stock E75 back on 360.

I thought my controller was not working right at first :D

The world had become the Jetsons cartoon by the time that beast got somewhere >_<

ComputingAxe #13 Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23366 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostSgt Becket FEAR, on 14 January 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

LOL I still remember my first match in my stock E75 back on 360.

I thought my controller was not working right at first :D

The world had become the Jetsons cartoon by the time that beast got somewhere >_<

Lol

THIS FONT IS LOVELY

Lets derp

Jope2209 #14 Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31382 battles
Can't wait to push and hold that X button to get rid of that Mauschen turd. I'll buy Maus with the next 30% discount on tier X's. No rush...I don't plan to play it except for that 1 game for the STE record.

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

3 MoE tanks: T-34, Pz IVH, Tiger I, Pz.Kpfw. T 25, M7, T-50

New updated poll - please take a minute and cast your votes for the least preferred map in rotation (2019)

Schiavoser #15 Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36069 battles
Anyone else have words of encouragement for a prospective Maus driver?

ComputingAxe #16 Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23366 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 09:33 PM, said:

The truth is flying in the wind, but you can not catch it.

THIS FONT IS LOVELY

Lets derp

Schiavoser #17 Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36069 battles

I talk to the wind

My words are all carried away

The wind does not hear

The wind cannot hear

Pit Friend #18 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:32 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32662 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

:trollface:

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

scwirpeo #19 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:00 AM

Major

• Players
  • 40416 battles
  • [CRY]

Is it competitive, no.

Does it fill a role, no.

Can it reliably be played without prem spam, no.

It's fun sometimes, but be prepared to pay for every fun game you have with 2 where the red team two shots you with Arty or a 183.

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'm not complaining about getting tagged by the FV4005 or FV215b (183). What I'm getting tired of is all the heavies and mediums pecking away at the Mauschen. I was hoping for more reliable armor. But so far not so much luck. Wondering if I just need to ascend to Maus in order to play the tank they way I expected I could.

It's not going to change much from the tier 9. You lose the cupola and gain enough armor to still get two shot by big alpha Arty and squares. Don't expect some PC replay results you saw to be what you are getting, the maus is much worse on consoles than PC.

View Postt_wilson01, on 14 January 2019 - 09:54 AM, said:

:)

Yesterday a player on my team did 3.5k damage and blocked 9k with a Maus. I wish I could play like that.

It's less about how good you are as a maus driver and more about whether the red team is too stupid to press A or not.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

FusionStar287 #20 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:12 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20114 battles
  • [JOCO]

I'll start by saying that if you're getting the Maus because you want a tank that hits hard, does a ton of damage, and/or can push an enemy flank back, then the Maus is not for you. If you want a tank that acts as an incredible wall, can win games by sponging damage for your team, can annoy the entire enemy team, and overall is one of the best support tanks in the game than you can't get any better than the Maus.

Personally, the Maus has pretty much always been my favorite tier X heavy for the fact that it is such an amazing support vehicle. Its armor holds up far, far better than the previous tanks in the line, although you do need to know proper spacing, angling, and positioning to make it work well. When angled properly you have roughly 330mm of effective armor or more pretty much everywhere, and when facing higher pen enemies you can easily use cover to angle/sidescrape around and bounce their shots easily as well. The Maus' armor is honestly incredible when played well, and is often underestimated by the enemy, which makes it easy to bait shots and return fire with a quick 490 average damage of your own. 

When playing the Maus, just remember that your goal is never to do as much damage as possible, Instead, you stick with the largest mass of your team and make sure that the enemy are shooting you instead of them. You use your armor to bounce shells that your teammates cannot, you use your massive health pool to eat damage that would otherwise finish a teammate, and if the circumstances permit it you hit the enemy with a pretty sizeable round to make them remember that they can't just ignore you. By doing this you can manage to secure your team wins not through your own abilities, but rather by keeping your team's guns singing and annoying the enemy into making mistakes. You can even use the Maus as an effective scout in many maps/matchups, as weird a sit sounds. You just push a bit farther forward than your team and use your armor to bounce shots (instead of using your speed to avoid them as you would in lights/mediums), and between the enemies giving away their positioning by firing at you and your own rather good view range you can keep the enemy team lit up while still providing a difficult to kill target to protect your own team.

So, to summarize quickly, the Maus is not the sort of tank that you see great results in all that often, but if acting as a great supporting wall sounds enjoyable to you, and if you're willing to put in the time to get a good feel for effectively using the Maus' armor, then it can be one of the most effective tier X tanks in the game. For that reason I love my Maus, and even when your team does manage to let you down I still find a ton of fun in knowing that I drove the enemy team crazy in their efforts to take me down. I can't recommend it enough, but I understand if its playstyle isn't for you too.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

Also tagged with Mauschen, Maus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users