Mauschen Maus

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Schiavoser #21 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:32 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36145 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 15 January 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

I'll start by saying that if you're getting the Maus because you want a tank that hits hard, does a ton of damage, and/or can push an enemy flank back, then the Maus is not for you. If you want a tank that acts as an incredible wall, can win games by sponging damage for your team, can annoy the entire enemy team, and overall is one of the best support tanks in the game than you can't get any better than the Maus.

Personally, the Maus has pretty much always been my favorite tier X heavy for the fact that it is such an amazing support vehicle. Its armor holds up far, far better than the previous tanks in the line, although you do need to know proper spacing, angling, and positioning to make it work well. When angled properly you have roughly 330mm of effective armor or more pretty much everywhere, and when facing higher pen enemies you can easily use cover to angle/sidescrape around and bounce their shots easily as well. The Maus' armor is honestly incredible when played well, and is often underestimated by the enemy, which makes it easy to bait shots and return fire with a quick 490 average damage of your own. 

When playing the Maus, just remember that your goal is never to do as much damage as possible, Instead, you stick with the largest mass of your team and make sure that the enemy are shooting you instead of them. You use your armor to bounce shells that your teammates cannot, you use your massive health pool to eat damage that would otherwise finish a teammate, and if the circumstances permit it you hit the enemy with a pretty sizeable round to make them remember that they can't just ignore you. By doing this you can manage to secure your team wins not through your own abilities, but rather by keeping your team's guns singing and annoying the enemy into making mistakes. You can even use the Maus as an effective scout in many maps/matchups, as weird a sit sounds. You just push a bit farther forward than your team and use your armor to bounce shots (instead of using your speed to avoid them as you would in lights/mediums), and between the enemies giving away their positioning by firing at you and your own rather good view range you can keep the enemy team lit up while still providing a difficult to kill target to protect your own team.

So, to summarize quickly, the Maus is not the sort of tank that you see great results in all that often, but if acting as a great supporting wall sounds enjoyable to you, and if you're willing to put in the time to get a good feel for effectively using the Maus' armor, then it can be one of the most effective tier X tanks in the game. For that reason I love my Maus, and even when your team does manage to let you down I still find a ton of fun in knowing that I drove the enemy team crazy in their efforts to take me down. I can't recommend it enough, but I understand if its playstyle isn't for you too.

This what I was expecting as a preview with the Mauschen but really have not found it yet. I was grinding the Maus line with the idea of being a shield rather than a sword. Thanks for the insight - its the kind of positive perspective I was hoping for.

XERXEZS #22 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25528 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

I had all these XP boosts, and decided to apply them to a quick grind of the VK.100.01 P and most of the way through the Mauschen. Tier VIII was fine, but I find the Mauschen to be an underwhelming experience. It's a bit annoying trying to reach a skirmish before either my team on that flank are dead or there are no more reds to shoot. So yeah, the tank is very slow, but this was expected. I can live with that.

What I didn't expect was how easy is it for reds to penetrate the front of the Tier IX superheavy.  If the tank is going to be this slow and vulnerable to flankers, shouldn't it have more formidable armor up front? 

I should unlock the Maus in a day or two. But I wonder if I should bother spending the silver on it. The cannon is the same (with a slower RAF for some strange reason :confused:), but it seems to have stronger armor. Is it enough to reliably bounce/absorb shots in a way that is noticeably greater than the Mauschen? Would anyone with experience enlighten me? Thanks!

Don't own the mouse but in every game that I face it, it's just there as an XP piñata, except that instead of kids taking their turn to hit it they all go at once and there is no candy, C'mon WG.

FusionStar287 #23 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20142 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

This what I was expecting as a preview with the Mauschen but really have not found it yet. I was grinding the Maus line with the idea of being a shield rather than a sword. Thanks for the insight - its the kind of positive perspective I was hoping for.

Yeah, the Maus fixes most of the issues that Mauschen has, at least armor wise. Once you jump up a tier you no longer have a cupola weakpoint, your lower plate becomes a smaller target that's much more difficult to pen, your armor becomes stronger as a whole, and because you're tier X you're always top tier. You still have to learn how you should best angle your armor in different situations and where to best position your Maus, but if you can do both of those than the Maus is definitely one of the best "shields" in the game. Just remember that you still shouldn't be testing your armor against very high pen TDs unless you're sidescraping, and the Maus does struggle against the Type 4/5 Heavy and Deathstar because of their good armor and guns that don't really care about your armor.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

ChillyMaple35 #24 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:19 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16795 battles

I'd get it.  Maus is far superior to Mauschen (even with the gun nerf).

SanguineDrax #25 Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15132 battles
  • [WREN]

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

Anyone else have words of encouragement for a prospective Maus driver?

I love my maus. First tier ten and first tank I MOEd. I even have a scout medal in mine. Lol

Kaizer Billy #26 Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:26 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8552 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostSchiavoser, on 14 January 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I had all these XP boosts, and decided to apply them to a quick grind of the VK.100.01 P and most of the way through the Mauschen. Tier VIII was fine, but I find the Mauschen to be an underwhelming experience. It's a bit annoying trying to reach a skirmish before either my team on that flank are dead or there are no more reds to shoot. So yeah, the tank is very slow, but this was expected. I can live with that.

What I didn't expect was how easy is it for reds to penetrate the front of the Tier IX superheavy.  If the tank is going to be this slow and vulnerable to flankers, shouldn't it have more formidable armor up front? 

I should unlock the Maus in a day or two. But I wonder if I should bother spending the silver on it. The cannon is the same (with a slower RAF for some strange reason :confused:), but it seems to have stronger armor. Is it enough to reliably bounce/absorb shots in a way that is noticeably greater than the Mauschen? Would anyone with experience enlighten me? Thanks!

My same arguement as with the Tortoise, these slow 'heavy armored' tanks are almost laughable considering they sacrifice so much for the sake of apparent armor. After the Tortoise I'm done with slow heavy tanks, TD, Heavy or otherwise, they are the absolute bane of my life, I won't even go back to finish the VK 100.01 P.

1st MoE's: Obj 430 II ~ Type 59 (RIP) ~ AMX 13 75 ~ M6 ~ T29 ~ Pz.IV H ~ Tiger II ~ E75 ~ AT7 ~ Lycan ~Pz. V/IV ~ T37 ~ M41 Bulldog ~ IS ~ Batchat AP ~ Knight

2nd MoE's: Pz IV H

Derp tanks are love, Derp tanks are life

Also tagged with Mauschen, Maus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users