AMX M4 mle. 54 equipment?

mle. 54 camo value view range equipment

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: AMX M4 mle. 54 equipment? (11 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Equipment chosen

1. Optics, Rammer, VStab (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Vents, Rammer, VStab (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. Some combination involving GLD (1 vote [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. J'ai abandonné la mouture parce que je ne comprends pas comment fonctionnent les chars français (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

fozfactor #1 Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

Currently I'm using Optics, Rammer, Vstab but have gone back and forth with Vents a bit in lieu of Optics. After a number of battles the extra 40m of view range seems to contribute more to a positive outcome than the +.2 secs reload for the 120mm or +.3 secs for the 130mm, especially on the larger maps.

I did a test w/the camo calculator against a Centurion AX (410m of view). Should be noted I have a good crew with BIA, Sit Aware, Recon, and Camo among her 17 skills. The vehicle has camo paint, and Rations are being consumed.

Me using Optics: If he is running Optics and camo paint (but not Camo skill), I will spot him at 410m out, and he will spot me at 385m... in the open I will be dead in the water, BUT if he is using Vents (incl. BIA and Sit Aware), he will only spot me at 408m out. If both of us are on the move we will spot each other simultaneously at 422m.  Disclaimer: I heard there may be some issues with the calculator so take actual figures with a grain of salt.

Me using Vents:

Sometimes on smaller maps that extra .2 or .3 secs reload feels like it would be nice, but Vents only put me at 444m view range, reducing the tank's overall operational capacity. I will not spot the CAX above until he is 390m out and already had me in his view for 20m. So while 445 is the game's max detection view, the additional view range helps me cut into his camo value and de-cloak him sooner.

Also, even though 120mm is a better gun, am mostly using the 130mm.

What's everyone else using on their big baguette? 

non nobis solum

P6X330 #2 Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:54 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15268 battles
  • [AMXS]

I have completely ditched GLD from my equipment wish list;

As shown in your poll, the only variable for all heavy tanks is Vents/Optics; usually, Optics go after I have trained SA+R, simply because as a heavy, I rely on scouts and assault assist tanks for detection. In a brawl, you don't usually require optics. The only moment when you will need optics, is when you remain alone against enemies that have a better view range than you have. I have lost some battles because the enemy was simply snipping me.

The situations in which GLD will be useful are minutes! most of the time, the tank you are targeting is going to be jostling forcing aiming adjustment.

My personal view, backed by several other players, is that GLD is not worth it. Is there any live example with GLD useful?

Edited by P6X330, 14 January 2019 - 11:58 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

fozfactor #3 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostP6X330, on 14 January 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

I have completely ditched GLD from my equipment wish list;

As shown in your poll, the only variable for all heavy tanks is Vents/Optics; usually, Optics go after I have trained SA+R;

The situations in which GLD will be useful are minutes! most of the time, the tank you are targeting is going to be jostling forcing aiming adjustment.

My personal view, backed by several other players, is that GLD is not worth it. Is there any live example with GLD useful?

It's a personal preference. If some Russian gun has a 3 second aim-time trying to zoom in on my cupola, and my aim-time is 1.8 secs, who do you think will hit who's weak spot first? I wouldn't use GLD with an aim-time of <2.5 secs on a heavy, but I did run GLD (+ VStabs) on my mle.49 with it's 2.9 sec aim-time. So it's great to have an opinion backed by several other players, but the results effected by one's personal choices are all that really matters. I also run them on my Scourge (3.1 secs), my T32-A Proto (2.6 secs), my 4202P (2.3 secs), my Motherland (2.4 secs) and my Sharpshooter (2.7 secs). My results in those tanks speaks to the benefit GLD provides me and my play-style.

If interested, here's a thread with some more GLD chatter:  http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/224672-gld-worth-it-for-a-340-aimtime-tank/page__pid__4608799#entry4608799

non nobis solum

P6X330 #4 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15268 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postfozfactor, on 14 January 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

It's a personal preference. If some Russian gun has a 3 second aim-time trying to zoom in on my cupola, and my aim-time is 1.8 secs, who do you think will hit who's weak spot first? I wouldn't use GLD with an aim-time of <2.5 secs on a heavy, but I did run GLD (+ VStabs) on my mle.49 with it's 2.9 sec aim-time. So it's great to have an opinion backed by several other players, but the results effected by one's personal choices are all that really matters. I also run them on my Scourge (3.1 secs), my T32-A Proto (2.6 secs), my 4202P (2.3 secs), my Motherland (2.4 secs) and my Sharpshooter (2.7 secs). My results in those tanks speaks to the benefit GLD provides me and my play-style.

If interested, here's a thread with some more GLD chatter:  http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/224672-gld-worth-it-for-a-340-aimtime-tank/page__pid__4608799#entry4608799

Note that I am not implying that because several other players agree, we are right. What I was proposing, is that the benefit you get from GLD is very limited to a few situations, while having coated optics or vents or whatever else, will most likely work all the time.

If that cupola you are aiming at is moving back and forth, your GLD will not be that useful.

The very obvious practical use of GLD is with Arty; again that is my opinion.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

fozfactor #5 Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:55 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostP6X330, on 14 January 2019 - 08:37 PM, said:

Note that I am not implying that because several other players agree, we are right. What I was proposing, is that the benefit you get from GLD is very limited to a few situations, while having coated optics or vents or whatever else, will most likely work all the time.

If that cupola you are aiming at is moving back and forth, your GLD will not be that useful.

The very obvious practical use of GLD is with Arty; again that is my opinion.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for an equipment choice. GLD definitely makes sense on arty but one thing to consider for other classes: GLD works anytime you pause to aim and fire at another tank. That happens a lot in this game. The dpm advantage of Vents only works when in position to fire non-stop. If the shell is not let go the instant reloaded, that .2 second advantage (or whatever) is squandered.

I was playing around a lot with equipment when trying to 3-mark my 4202, Vents, Optics, GLD, you name it. While the Vents did bring view range up from 435m too 444m, they only offered a minor reload advantage of .14 secs (the benefit pays off on slower loaders, ex. .2 vs .3 for the mle's 120mm and 130mm respectively) and an aim-time buff of .05 secs (vs. GLD's + .2 secs). Vents gave +8m view where Optics offer a view range increase of +44m. Everything improves, but not enough to make any real difference. And I have BIA and use Rations so already at +15% on major qualifications. The way you are with GLD is the way I am now with Vents, and only use them on a few select tanks. I do enjoy talking with folks about their choices and rationales, but it's not to say mine are better. 

non nobis solum

P6X330 #6 Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15268 battles
  • [AMXS]

My favoring of the Vents always factor the view range, rather than the infinitesimal reload increment. Especially when the .32 are not sexagesimal but decimal.

You obviously have a lot more experience than I do, 50+ battles gives a better overall "feel" for equipment's capability.

There is another aspect of the game that corrupts the benefits of GLD: RNG. I am not ignoring that with my slow aiming vehicles, smart targets will move off as soon as they are "detected", supporting GLD usage. The AMX M4 Mle 45 will not hit anything unless fully aimed.

Based on this conversation, I am going to revisit GLD on tanks where the view range is on par. I am a Mediums, Lights tank player this may explain while GLD was never a staple of my "go-to" equipment.

fozfactor #7 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

Judging from the vote count I can tell this new line will be flooding the battlefield any day now.

Spoiler

non nobis solum

Futarrari #8 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12608 battles
  • [KNOWN]

hard to go wrong with vents , rammer , vstabs.

Imo gld requires you to be exposed longer than you really want to be .

fozfactor #9 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostFutarrari, on 15 January 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

hard to go wrong with vents , rammer , vstabs.

Imo gld requires you to be exposed longer than you really want to be .

Huh? That's the exact opposite of how GLD works.

Example: if I'm working center line of Prok, moving backwards behind the crest to cover and forwards over the crest to fire, in a 4202P with a stock aim time of 2.3 secs vs. my setup of 1.9 secs (BIA + GLD + Rations) shooting at reds on either the B or J lines, which version of the tank is exposed linger?

non nobis solum

Futarrari #10 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12608 battles
  • [KNOWN]

View Postfozfactor, on 15 January 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Huh? That's the exact opposite of how GLD works.

Example: if I'm working center line of Prok, moving backwards behind the crest to cover and forwards over the crest to fire, in a 4202P with a stock aim time of 2.3 secs vs. my setup of 1.9 secs (BIA + GLD + Rations) shooting at reds on either the B or J lines, which version of the tank is exposed linger?

it doesnt work when the tank is moving though so you have to sit still.

10% isnt worth the space to me on tanks with 3 sec aim time .

Now if it was 25% that would make it more useful . I just think vstabs in more important than gld .

fozfactor #11 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostFutarrari, on 15 January 2019 - 01:30 PM, said:

it doesnt work when the tank is moving though so you have to sit still.

10% isnt worth the space to me on tanks with 3 sec aim time .

Now if it was 25% that would make it more useful . I just think vstabs in more important than gld .

They kick in the milli-second the tank stops rolling - it's not about sitting still, it's about pausing to aim. Vstabs can be used in conjunction with GLD, it's not either/or. But then again not every play style warrants a quick aim-time. Didn't we already chat about this in the link I posted above? :)

non nobis solum

Futarrari #12 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12608 battles
  • [KNOWN]

View Postfozfactor, on 15 January 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

They kick in the milli-second the tank stops rolling - it's not about sitting still, it's about pausing to aim. Vstabs can be used in conjunction with GLD, it's not either/or. But then again not every play style warrants a quick aim-time.

Thats true , I just find vents and rammer to be a better choice for the other slots.

Given rng being the way it is 10% just isnt a big enough difference to me .

On a side note they should really buff the cupola on the 54 .

fozfactor #13 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostFutarrari, on 15 January 2019 - 01:39 PM, said:

Thats true , I just find vents and rammer to be a better choice for the other slots.

Given rng being the way it is 10% just isnt a big enough difference to me .

On a side note they should really buff the cupola on the 54 .

It's certainly the only place I'm aiming for when I run into this beast frontally. Maybe do the pole dance wiggle?

non nobis solum

Futarrari #14 Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 12608 battles
  • [KNOWN]

View Postfozfactor, on 15 January 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

It's certainly the only place I'm aiming for when I run into this beast frontally. Maybe do the pole dance wiggle?

Haha doesnt seem to help any , the tank is just a huge tank with too many weakpoints .

I dont see why it cant have a well armored cupola like the super conq . Which is probably the most op heavy tank in game .

P6X330 #15 Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15268 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostFutarrari, on 15 January 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Haha doesnt seem to help any , the tank is just a huge tank with too many weakpoints .

I dont see why it cant have a well armored cupola like the super conq . Which is probably the most op heavy tank in game .

It would not be French if it was properly armored.... they would lose their reputation as being fast and vulnerable. Although I have bounced a few shots in the new AC-48, but that rooster comb atop of it, is a really easy magnet to all the adversaries.

Even dancing back and forth, they still manage to pen it so easily...

fozfactor #16 Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

I just did a stupid thing and tried GLD with the 130mm. Glorious, and addictive! But now I can't see a damn thing. Durieux's gonna have to go back to making silver in dark alley's again just like the old days... :ohmy:

Spoiler

non nobis solum

fozfactor #17 Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

After all that may have settled on Vents over GLD and Optics which at least puts my view at 444m, along with 130mm as the primary gun occasionally alternating the 120mm. Still interested in hearing how others are outfitting this tank.

non nobis solum

Futarrari #18 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 12608 battles
  • [KNOWN]

View Postfozfactor, on 16 January 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

After all that may have settled on Vents over GLD and Optics which at least puts my view at 444m, along with 130mm as the primary gun occasionally alternating the 120mm. Still interested in hearing how others are outfitting this tank.

Ive always wonder whats the view ranger difference between say running all the view range crew kills with vents and a consumable to boost them vs if you just ran optics ? Kind of [edited]the 54 doesnt have 400m view range .

fozfactor #19 Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58733 battles

View PostFutarrari, on 16 January 2019 - 03:25 AM, said:

Ive always wonder whats the view ranger difference between say running all the view range crew kills with vents and a consumable to boost them vs if you just ran optics ? Kind of [edited]the 54 doesnt have 400m view range .

The Chieftain is in the same boat. Can use this to experiment, everything should be applicable to console except gun handling: https://tanks.gg/tank/amx-m4-54

In a nutshell:

Just Optics +BIA: 438m, w/Rations = 456m 

Vents + Situational Awareness + Recon + BIA = 427m, w/Rations = 444m

non nobis solum

P6X330 #20 Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15268 battles
  • [AMXS]

When it comes to view range, it is only very useful in battles where you are remaining alone. There it makes a big difference.

I would say that being sniped when blind is one of the most frustrating situation you can experience. You see that "targeted" warning lit up, and you have not got a clue where the threat is coming from!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users