WoT or WoR? Robot mode review, pulling no punches!

mech mode core breach updates tips reviews wargaming xbox moneygrab strategy tactics

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TheRealRedRoach #1 Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:20 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3079 battles
  • [SW4RM]

Ok.  So...  I played this Mechs version.  I'll sum it up in five words.  Boom!  Bang!  Boom!  Bang!  Boom!

I've been playing WoT for about 6 years now.  Wargaming has had some incredible successes and some colossal blunders.  How did they do with this new play option?  In my humble opinion, it is complete trash.  Like a petulant child banging on pots and pans they pulled out of the kitchen cabinets with no regard for rhythm, timing or any sort of appealing creative positive attribute, it's cute for about 5 seconds, then goes straight into nails-on-chalkboard annoying.

There is zero strategy.

Tactics?  Yeah.  Hold the firing trigger down almost the whole time, try to keep the reticle on enemy targets while moving so the three guys aiming at you have a more difficult time shooting you and then die pretty quickly.

Most battles, the difference between the top guys (around 77K damage) and the bottom guys (around 35K damage) is about 50%.  That seems like a lot, but compare that to the team list post-battle in a tank match.  There almost no skill separation.

It is all aim and blast, mostly shotgun type (the reticle never expands or contracts with movement). 

Buildings are destroyed within the first couple of minutes of the battle, so forget about using cover effectively for an advantage.  What makes this even more frustrating is the fact that all the players are contained in a little bowl like arena.  It's tiny.  You can literally shoot each other immediately after initial spawn.

You re-spawn (in apparently random areas of the map) about 15 seconds after you are destroyed.  Enemies can be in front, behind, to the side...

There is no lock on for keeping an enemy in your reticle.   

There is no skill set specific armament.

Vehicle movement is clumsy at best with nothing resembling a hull orientation or direction indicator.

Targets appear and disappear randomly.  In the open.  When moving toward you.  ???

It's complete chaos.

I found absolutely zero enjoyment in this childish, unimaginative, uninspired slopfest.

If this sounds fun to you, please take two weeks of from playing WoT then quit.  It is obviously targeting children or unintelligent players who have no patience or desire to learn strategy or tank-specific skills.

If I wasn't clear in my description above or if you are wondering what I really think about this new side game, let me sum it up again:  It is complete and utter cheap, off brand arcade style garbage.  

steelheadclan #2 Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:26 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15633 battles

My opinion of this itineration of rock em sock em robots?

Meh!

BrogueOne #3 Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:28 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23605 battles
  • [ELDER]
So what? Every special event mode is a mess of chaos.  Nobody takes it seriously because it’s just there for us to eff off and have fun.

M4ntiX #4 Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 31032 battles
  • [JOCO]

At least you're top tier every time... :trollface:

I agree (minus the insults), to me this mode is also a huge disappointment.

You can click on my e-peen:

"No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement." - Arthur Brooks

giaka #5 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:03 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 44421 battles
  • [WTAF]

View PostTheRealRedRoach, on 29 January 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

If this sounds fun to you, please take two weeks of from playing WoT then quit.  It is obviously targeting children or unintelligent players who have no patience or desire to learn strategy or tank-specific skills.

Your post was pretty good up until that point. Seriously, people are only allowed to enjoy playing WOT or they are childish and or unintelligent? 

WG Balance 101, If a tank has a high survival rate, nerf its gun.

UpstartJoker083 #6 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:13 AM

Private

• Players
  • 10405 battles
Probably the most inept attempt to copy mechwarriors i have ever seen

SwiftKitten6121 #7 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:17 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 39086 battles
This is the most garbage game mode WOT has ever done. And comics mode made people sick for real(I was one of them.) And this trash is still worse.

PumpkinEcobar #8 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15607 battles
Can't agree with your insults, but mech mode is real bad. It's a big mess. I was really looking forward to it. But the total lack of strategy is a bummer.

donny007-THX #9 Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:57 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22949 battles

View PostPumpkinEcobar, on 29 January 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

Can't agree with your insults, but mech mode is real bad. It's a big mess. I was really looking forward to it. But the total lack of strategy is a bummer.

I agree with this.  Was not necessarily interested in Mech stuff anyway so no loss.  I have enjoyed the other "special mode" games, just not Mech Roaches....not even a little.
When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

CostlessSun07 #10 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29007 battles
I am holding out for the Beach Party Mech.

mockney_piers #11 Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 10275 battles
  • [FILTH]

It's pretty awful, but it sounds like it was probably a way of giving some ambitious devs means to do an alpha test proof of concept for a real game, and reach a wide audience.

Was that especially sensible, probably not, I'd have kept them to a local build and got some focus groups, supertesters in.

I for one would be well up for a completely separate mech game.

Yep, it'll have to massively up its game. The destructible scenery is poorly implemented, the small cover free bowl makes it a 0 skill game, but  I sense potential, with heaps (and heaps and heaps and heaps.............) of added depth

Of course the missus always says "never assume"; maybe they think this is exactly the mini game / game mode we always wanted, in which case, bin it and fix the repair wheel/maps/balance/MM etc (etc etc etc etc etc etc..............)

ACS138 #12 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20657 battles

Played one round, got my butt kicked the first 3 minutes. By then I had learned just about all the nuances there are for this mode, and started carrying my weight. One of the least fun modes they've done.

And it felt like a game from an older system (sorry 360 fans!). Bad graphics, lack of functions (how do you not have a melee buttom??). Also, there is no incentivization to play this mode (XP gain was meh).

While I'm not one to get super stressed about WG "wasting resources on useless stuff" I did find myself chuckling while playing this. Oh WG'ing, just why? lol.

Edited by ACS138, 30 January 2019 - 05:14 PM.

"Be moderate in your temper, and unyielding in your principles. Or change your mind and yell about it"

IVIargaritavile #13 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5770 battles
  • [UMFF5]

As someone who played MechWarrior competitively think the mode is okay.  However, the lack of immediate weapon switching and heat management make it mindless.  There is no thought in switching and managing weapons other than guns at distance, rockets at mid/close

Tempest fox3 #14 Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21344 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostBrogueOne, on 30 January 2019 - 02:28 AM, said:

So what? Every special event mode is a mess of chaos. Nobody takes it seriously because it’s just there for us to eff off and have fun.

The issue is that the fun mode isn't fun.

Lunar Chaffee was fun, Tog boat was fun, the Halloween mode is fun. This is not. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25, Boilermaker- In order obtained

Spoiler

BrogueOne #15 Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23605 battles
  • [ELDER]

View PostTempest fox3, on 30 January 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

The issue is that the fun mode isn't fun.

Lunar Chaffee was fun, Tog boat was fun, the Halloween mode is fun. This is not. 

That’s subjective.  I think it’s fun. I did not think Commander was fun, but there were still players who were overjoyed with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users