Fv 201 (A45) need some Love :(

Fv201 (A45) Buff

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

FreakOfTheFall_ #1 Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:08 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 7652 battles

Bought mine Yesterday, first Battle got 3k Dmg but you didn't hear good about this Tank. I found this on wot pc Forum, in my Opinion it's True. What you guys think ? 

This was the British heavy tank that was most in need of a buff and it was the one that was left behind when they fixed the Caernarvon. It is  ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

It's a heavy tank only in the sense that it's slow. It doesn't have heavy tank armour, not even on the turret, which can be easily penned even from the front (above the gun mantlet it's only about 55 mm thick. As a result, it cannot even act as a ridgeline sniper. It's only defense is that it's so rare that most people don't know which part of the turret to shoot. The hull armour is so thin, that even HE shells will actually penetrate and do full damage, making it every artillery player's dream target.

It might still be playable, if it had a gun with massive alpha damage. But, no, it's got a 17 pounder, which relies on DPM, but you cannot actually use that. Now, the Black Prince gets the same gun, but the BP has the armour to stand up to return fire (at least when it's top tier). The A45 doesn't, nor can it absorb damage like the TOG. So, all you can do is pop up, do a tiny amount of damage, then withdraw again and wait for another opportunity. of course, that's if you get lucky. The 17 pounder's penetration is not particularly good at tier 7, so make sure to bring plenty of gold ammo, and if the enemy gets a return shot off, they're bound to do more damage to you then you did to them.

This tank cannot:

• Trade shots, because you lack the alpha damage
  • Out-DPM the enemy, because you don't have the armour or hitpoints to take the hits
  • Flank, because you lack the mobility
  • Hide, because you are too big
  • Work ridge lines, because your turret front can be penned above the gun mantel by every gun it encounters
  • Sidescrape, again, the turret front is so weak that you'll get ripped apart.

The only thing it's good for it trailing other tanks and hoping to get a few shots in.

The only possible reason to buy this tank is to use it as a crewtrainer for British heavies, but even then, I'd much rather play a TOG, which can at least be made to work under the right circumstances. For the A45, I still haven't figured out what the right circumstances could possible be.

Vampire_Izumi #2 Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25714 battles
  • [LEONI]

View PostFeelsBadManCx, on 10 February 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Bought mine Yesterday, first Battle got 3k Dmg but you didn't hear good about this Tank. I found this on wot pc Forum, in my Opinion it's True. What you guys think ? 

This was the British heavy tank that was most in need of a buff and it was the one that was left behind when they fixed the Caernarvon. It is  ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

It's a heavy tank only in the sense that it's slow. It doesn't have heavy tank armour, not even on the turret, which can be easily penned even from the front (above the gun mantlet it's only about 55 mm thick. As a result, it cannot even act as a ridgeline sniper. It's only defense is that it's so rare that most people don't know which part of the turret to shoot. The hull armour is so thin, that even HE shells will actually penetrate and do full damage, making it every artillery player's dream target.

It might still be playable, if it had a gun with massive alpha damage. But, no, it's got a 17 pounder, which relies on DPM, but you cannot actually use that. Now, the Black Prince gets the same gun, but the BP has the armour to stand up to return fire (at least when it's top tier). The A45 doesn't, nor can it absorb damage like the TOG. So, all you can do is pop up, do a tiny amount of damage, then withdraw again and wait for another opportunity. of course, that's if you get lucky. The 17 pounder's penetration is not particularly good at tier 7, so make sure to bring plenty of gold ammo, and if the enemy gets a return shot off, they're bound to do more damage to you then you did to them.

This tank cannot:

• Trade shots, because you lack the alpha damage
  • Out-DPM the enemy, because you don't have the armour or hitpoints to take the hits
  • Flank, because you lack the mobility
  • Hide, because you are too big
  • Work ridge lines, because your turret front can be penned above the gun mantel by every gun it encounters
  • Sidescrape, again, the turret front is so weak that you'll get ripped apart.

The only thing it's good for it trailing other tanks and hoping to get a few shots in.

The only possible reason to buy this tank is to use it as a crewtrainer for British heavies, but even then, I'd much rather play a TOG, which can at least be made to work under the right circumstances. For the A45, I still haven't figured out what the right circumstances could possible be.

it also has that armorless machine gun extended port. (Edit, it is on top of the hull and everything you meet can pen it)

i do find this tank pretty fun to play, but i do agree that the armor feels almost 100% useless and that you feel like you are throwing rocks at a bear.

Edited by greenteam117, 10 February 2019 - 02:18 AM.

A lie about a lie turns inside out upon itself. - Magane chikujoin   

Marks of Excellence:

Wroclaw #3 Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:23 AM

Major

• Players
  • 54791 battles

the Black Prince (also sees tier 9) has the same gun. but with much better penetration - 200 instead of 171

so the tier 7 Heavys :

T29 - 198 pen & 320 alpha

Tiger 1 - 203 pen & 240 alpha

IS - 175 pen & 390 alpha

AMX M4 - 212 pen & 240 alpha

theres 2 ways to buff this thing so it gets a semblance of tier 7 heavy performance. buff the armor - especially the turret -  & give it the BP pen & accuracy.

or

just give it a slightly better turret & a reduced pen/alpha 20lber (200 & 200). 7.5 sec reload isnt tier breaking & it would still be an easy pen hull.

Edited by Wroclaw, 10 February 2019 - 07:29 AM.

Brass Drag0n #4 Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 33688 battles
Turret armour really needs a buff - Getting shot through the mantlet when working a ridge is very frustrating, especially as tier 6's can do it fairly often (let alone the tier 9's you face).  

MoE: Firefly (2), Churchill III (2), KV-5 (2), Pz V/M10​ (2), Tiger 1​ (3)

(PS4 - DRAGONxxSWORD)

Chr15py #5 Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15172 battles
Another thread stating the obvious...another thread that will be overlooked by WGC due to it “performing above expectations” LOL
"Per Ardua ad Astra - Through adversity to the stars"

PLK180W #6 Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:11 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View PostChr15py, on 17 February 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

Another thread stating the obvious...another thread that will be overlooked by WGC due to it “performing above expectations” LOL

I'll stop using mine for a while then, that should lower the performance stats a bit...

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

PLK180W #7 Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:28 AM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

Giving the A45 the Centurion Mk.III turret rather then the Mk.II it was fitted with when they built it might be an idea.

Of course it wouldn't be historically  accurate...

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

furballthegame #8 Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27346 battles

Bump

I agree it needs a buff

WOT_MAVERICK #9 Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 9385 battles
  • [RICKY]
Useable turret armour and higher pen standard rounds please. 

R9DNG #10 Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 25968 battles

View PostPLK180W, on 22 February 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Giving the A45 the Centurion Mk.III turret rather then the Mk.II it was fitted with when they built it might be an idea.

Of course it wouldn't be historically  accurate...

Titter.....

PMM to tier 8 only would help. I get sick of tanks simply driving through your gun due to the appalling alpha.

Say NO to the Lemming train, never, ever board.

Albapfalzd3 #11 Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21405 battles

The only buff it "Really" needs is to the rounds. Give the rounds the same performance as the BP and it will be fine. A buff to the turret face would be nice but not absolutely necessary.  

Roy

Koncorde #12 Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24424 battles
If it were me, I wouldn't mind seeing it run with the 20lb. Then the turret not so critical if it doesn't need to poke so constantly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users