Buying gold vs war chests

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Restless_Vermin #1 Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 38682 battles

Thinking of grabbing a couple of black tanks. STA-2 (I have the Senshi) T-34-3 and maybe trade T34 and CDC for their black tanks and if I can the IS6 black in that order. Would you guys just buy gold or take a chance on war chests? Was also thinking of buying the unstoppable force bundle 13k gold and keeping the nomad but trading the defender and patriot because I have the unskinned versions.

Not sure if I want to pay all that gold for swapping to black tanks so trading might make more sense.

I added it up and cane up with about 33k gold needed lol 

Thoughts anyone?

FinlandRed #2 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:08 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21766 battles
Buy gold because then you'll definitely get the tanks. The loot boxes are just a slot machine. I brought 6 Hero chests because I given a gift card on the weekend. I got the Fatherland which I already have a bunch of boosts and other stuff.

XERXEZS #3 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25886 battles

View Posttonygillott, on 11 February 2019 - 02:52 AM, said:

Thinking of grabbing a couple of black tanks. STA-2 (I have the Senshi) T-34-3 and maybe trade T34 and CDC for their black tanks and if I can the IS6 black in that order. Would you guys just buy gold or take a chance on war chests? Was also thinking of buying the unstoppable force bundle 13k gold and keeping the nomad but trading the defender and patriot because I have the unskinned versions.

Not sure if I want to pay all that gold for swapping to black tanks so trading might make more sense.

I added it up and cane up with about 33k gold needed lol 

Thoughts anyone?

The black tanks look really cool, I got that, but you should compare them to other premiums and see which are better to fit your needs, Iv'e had the black tanks since 2016 and before this trade in bonanza came out they were mostly just collecting dust. The 75% XP "bonus" is just a gimmick.

Do not buy the T-34-3, it's probably the worst tier VIII premium.

Gold vs war Chests, if you have most of the tanks from which ever chest you're buying(hero's war, general war chest etc.) then it's worth taking the risk and trying your luck because you might get a tank that you own and that converts to gold.

if you don't own most of the tanks from war Chests just get gold and get the tanks you actually want.

Wakkomaster #4 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13981 battles

In your case I'd go with gold.

If you already know what you want (and most importantly what you do not want) buying gold is the safer and better move.

As I said before Warchests are awesome if you just want to add random things for a better value, because you know you'll be fine with whatever you get: boosters, bonus experience, silver and so on, but not when you just want to get more gold to buy the tanks you laid your eyes on.

When trying to get a certain amount of gold and having no use for the random extras, you're bound to end up disappointed: you could get a coveted tanks such as the Nomad, but if instead all you wanted was extra gold it will be wasted.

So go for gold, you won't be disappointed.

On the other hand if you just want to add things to your stockpile and are fine with getting some randomness, chests offer great value: last week I bought 27 Hero's chests for 99 euros, about 30.000 gold in value, and received premium tanks, gold and goodies for about 60.000 - and since I use all the boosters I can get my hands on I know very little will go to waste.

Currently playing World of Tanks on:

Xbox - Wakkomaster

You can also find me on:

Playstation - Wakkopresi

PC - Wakkomaster

DiabolicGambit #5 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18936 battles
  • [MAJOR]
Sell the unskinned vers. Because the chests always offer the skinned version.. and if you roll a tank you already have you will get the gold refund.. I've been extremely lucky with chests.. and get slot of gold refunds because I own virtually every special skinned tank

DiabolicGambit #6 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18936 battles
  • [MAJOR]
With gold refunds for tanks you own you can get great deals for gold refunds and come out way ahead.. with the current system I can buy a few chests till I got pay dirt once then pretty much buy whatever the newest tank on offer is for gold... And only spend a couple bucks on chests..

Restless_Vermin #7 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 38682 battles

Great advice from all. Some things there like keeping the skinned versionsi never really thought of.

awesome advice

P3NNYPACK3R #8 Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14465 battles
  • [47R-2]
Gold...I purchased the 49.99 hero warchest bundle last week with anticipation of reaping piles of gold. Nope...No tanks from the 13 chest. 6,500 in actual gold and fluff and stuff for the rest of my loot. Live and learn.

Restless_Vermin #9 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 38682 battles

View PostXERXEZS, on 11 February 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

The black tanks look really cool, I got that, but you should compare them to other premiums and see which are better to fit your needs, Iv'e had the black tanks since 2016 and before this trade in bonanza came out they were mostly just collecting dust. The 75% XP "bonus" is just a gimmick.

Do not buy the T-34-3, it's probably the worst tier VIII premium.

Gold vs war Chests, if you have most of the tanks from which ever chest you're buying(hero's war, general war chest etc.) then it's worth taking the risk and trying your luck because you might get a tank that you own and that converts to gold.

if you don't own most of the tanks from war Chests just get gold and get the tanks you actually want.

This is best advice I’ve had. So if I look at all the tanks I can trade for (which is the reason behind my original question) the only one I don’t have in any form is the IS-6 but I have obj.252U and KV-122 and KV-220-2 and Bogatyr as well as Churchill III, so black tanks aside I think I need to wait for the next trade in event.

I did manage to get the Lowe black from a few deals for free before the refunds changed to silver and that’s the one I really wanted

grompf-99 #10 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4231 battles

the warchest are great for gold, if you already own the given tanks. and you have luck.

last run (27 chests) i got 4 tanks i already own so i got around 45k extra gold. even now in the sale, you will receive the full gold price for the tanks.

but maybe you are unlucky an win no tanks, or win tanks you havent owned... than it will be better to buy the gold.

deutsche community: http://www.konsolenpanzer.de

banner.png?0.6029455350574694?0.80404784

join me on youtube, subscribe or gimme some likes :-)

coff33guy #11 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17087 battles

View PostP3NNYPACK3R, on 11 February 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

Gold...I purchased the 49.99 hero warchest bundle last week with anticipation of reaping piles of gold. Nope...No tanks from the 13 chest. 6,500 in actual gold and fluff and stuff for the rest of my loot. Live and learn.

Yeah, this is an important point. Whilst war chests do offer a shot at getting more gold than if you purchased it straight up, you are statistically more likely to end up just like you did with less gold and a load of boosts/free xp and silver. My point is that people who get lucky are the ones who tend to post on here and it builds up an aura that these chests are a guaranteed win which builds people up to be disappointed.

cydewaze #12 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6746 battles
  • [ALSRN]

View PostWakkomaster, on 11 February 2019 - 06:30 AM, said:

In your case I'd go with gold.

If you already know what you want (and most importantly what you do not want) buying gold is the safer and better move.

As I said before Warchests are awesome if you just want to add random things for a better value, because you know you'll be fine with whatever you get: boosters, bonus experience, silver and so on, but not when you just want to get more gold to buy the tanks you laid your eyes on.

When trying to get a certain amount of gold and having no use for the random extras, you're bound to end up disappointed: you could get a coveted tanks such as the Nomad, but if instead all you wanted was extra gold it will be wasted.

So go for gold, you won't be disappointed.

On the other hand if you just want to add things to your stockpile and are fine with getting some randomness, chests offer great value: last week I bought 27 Hero's chests for 99 euros, about 30.000 gold in value, and received premium tanks, gold and goodies for about 60.000 - and since I use all the boosters I can get my hands on I know very little will go to waste.

^^^^

This, totally. I got a great haul off my last chest buy, but last night I wanted to buy a specific bundle, so I went straight for the gold. Nothing is worse than getting 20 boosts in a chest and coming up short on gold and having to buy it anyway.
Certified Potato! 1 MOE: M6 - T29 - T32 - M103 - Tiger I - Tiger II - E75 - Stug III G

grompf-99 #13 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4231 battles

View Postcoff33guy, on 11 February 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yeah, this is an important point. Whilst war chests do offer a shot at getting more gold than if you purchased it straight up, you are statistically more likely to end up just like you did with less gold and a load of boosts/free xp and silver. My point is that people who get lucky are the ones who tend to post on here and it builds up an aura that these chests are a guaranteed win which builds people up to be disappointed.

you are right :-)

bought 2 packs of 27 hero chest ( cause ive the money :-) )

first one was a complete bad pick...

why that was a crappy deal for me, i got another pack ... 5 tanks (just 1 new) and 55000 gold (because the 4 were sold)

as i told...

when you want to make gold, warchests only make sence, when you allready own most of the given tanks AND!  you have the luck to draw tanks :-)

deutsche community: http://www.konsolenpanzer.de

banner.png?0.6029455350574694?0.80404784

join me on youtube, subscribe or gimme some likes :-)

f1mitku #14 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 48068 battles
Usually I buy 20+7 Hero War chests bundle and averagely I receive 40K-50K gold in return, instead of 25K gold for the same money if I buy only gold. But I have quite a few Premium tanks already to get gold refunds for them and it's still kinda gambling - you never know in advance.
Don't rush me, I'm waiting for the last moment!

SightlessRogue0 #15 Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19927 battles

I use the hero chest, or they bring me more gold than I would have if I had bought gold directly. This is advantageous with the exchange program because you can win a tank that is more expensive than the ones you have available for exchange in the garage ... when I bought 6 chest hero + 1 to pay the difference with the purchase of the CDC Black, I collected a Skorpion G, in addition to another tank (jagtiger 88 I think). In addition to bringing me almost as much gold I paid less than expected for the CDC Black and i have now a Jagtiger 8.8cm to tame.

Another time before I still buy 6 chest hero + 1 to pay the Atomic on sale at 50% and guess what .... I harvest the Atomic in a war chest !!!!

Edited by SightlessRogue0, 11 February 2019 - 12:53 PM.

I use Google translator for english language

Lots of juggling in french text, sometimes translator in trouble with that. If you do not understand what I write, tell me.

Tempest fox3 #16 Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21057 battles
  • [JOCO]
You can get lucky with the war chests, especially if you already have all / most of the tanks you can get from the box.

I got 47k gold from 13 hero chests. (£25?)

But you can also get short changed and end up with less gold than the equivalent cost gold pack.

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32, Tiger 131, Skoda T25 - In order obtained

Spoiler

coff33guy #17 Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17087 battles

View Postgrompf-99, on 11 February 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

you are right :-)

bought 2 packs of 27 hero chest ( cause ive the money :-) )

first one was a complete bad pick...

why that was a crappy deal for me, i got another pack ... 5 tanks (just 1 new) and 55000 gold (because the 4 were sold)

as i told...

when you want to make gold, warchests only make sence, when you allready own most of the given tanks AND!  you have the luck to draw tanks :-)

Definitely, like you, I've had some amazingly good runs and a couple of crap ones on chests too. Over many purchases, I'm inclined to say you'll end up better off gold wise. However, in the short term if you are hoping for gold to buy a specific tank there and then, ONLY buy chests if you can afford to get less gold back than you could buy straight out

The Whammer 76 #18 Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16499 battles
I have tried this thought out and it is a chance encounter that if you get a tank you already have and it is worth a substantial amount of gold it could pay off big.
Flip side of the coin, if you can afford the gold and get what you want then it is a final deal.
I like war chest but only buy them for the entertainment value and not a sure fire deal on tanks and or wanted/needed/ desired gold amount.

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #19 Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 51562 battles
  • [BNKR]
I’ve bought chests 3 times...twice I got more gold than I would have buying gold outright. The other set of chests netted me 20k gold instead of the 25k I could have gotten. I did get tanks in all 3 sets that took my “value” over and above...

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

Hypocrite #20 Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 31461 battles
  • [BUNNY]

View PostDiabolicGambit, on 11 February 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

Sell the unskinned vers. Because the chests always offer the skinned version.. and if you roll a tank you already have you will get the gold refund.. I've been extremely lucky with chests.. and get slot of gold refunds because I own virtually every special skinned tank

That's not true now: There's currently unskinned Chrysler K's, Lowe's, KV-4-K's and other vehicles in the drop tables.

"you've made your fanboy status and unwillingness to admit anything other than Sony sucks and Microsoft are gods clear do you have any actual point beyond that though"

Yes-Man Wargaming Shill-Bot Since 2014

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users