Discuss Clear Camo

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

AJH387 #1 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13126 battles
  • [HLCAT]

I know this has been talked about a few times but I just wanted to hear what the players (or WG employees) think about the clear camo. For example, the Pudel. I go to camo and there are no options at all, as it has it's own markings and paint on it already. Yet there is a clear camo that must be purchased to give it the added concealment? I don't have the Wojtek but it has full camo paint and costs the same as the Pudel. Does it also require purchasing the 'clear' coat? If not, then how can that be justified? And if you do actually have to purchase the clear on the Wojtek too, then why does it have the paint in the first place? I have questions with this system. 

I liked how the reg Super Pershing had no paint and you could customize it. And the Freedom cost a bit more but the paint had the camo factor built in. That all made sense. But this whole clear thing just seems wrong / stupid. Am I missing something. Discuss......

Teffisk #2 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:27 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18101 battles
  • [-CHF-]
It feels like a deceitful cashgrab to me. Clear camo was a feature a few players asked for. I get it. Sometimes just the metal tank looks cool. Then WG rubbed their hands together and thought, how can we make money off this?

BULLPUPBAKERST1 #3 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 44595 battles
  • [BNKR]
You’re buying the increase in camo factor, nothing more to it in my mind. It’s not like you are going to trick the enemy with clearcoat. You are either spotted or you are not from their perspective. 

100% Credit/Thanks to Violet Viper X for the fantastic Sig. 

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.-Nietzsche-

fozfactor #4 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 55515 battles
And your MOE color will change to winter designated colors despite the skin remaining the same. It looks great on tanks where the barrel is dark because your marks are then indeed harder to see. Clear camo... working as intended. :teethhappy:

DiabolicGambit #5 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17256 battles
  • [MAJOR]
Custom tanks should come with the camo factor included in the price.. after all it's a skin.. now if you had the option to buy BASE camo and show just the standard tank that would be nice.. 

RuefulCenturion #6 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:41 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 24512 battles
You can buy camo with silver and easily make the cost back, I don't see the problem? 

MaxChaos24 #7 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12269 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostAJH387, on 11 February 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

I know this has been talked about a few times but I just wanted to hear what the players (or WG employees) think about the clear camo. For example, the Pudel. I go to camo and there are no options at all, as it has it's own markings and paint on it already. Yet there is a clear camo that must be purchased to give it the added concealment? I don't have the Wojtek but it has full camo paint and costs the same as the Pudel. Does it also require purchasing the 'clear' coat? If not, then how can that be justified? And if you do actually have to purchase the clear on the Wojtek too, then why does it have the paint in the first place? I have questions with this system. 

I liked how the reg Super Pershing had no paint and you could customize it. And the Freedom cost a bit more but the paint had the camo factor built in. That all made sense. But this whole clear thing just seems wrong / stupid. Am I missing something. Discuss......

"And if you do actually have to purchase the clear on the Wojtek too, then why does it have the paint in the first place?"

I liked how the reg Super Pershing had no paint and you could customize it. And the Freedom cost a bit more but the paint had the camo factor built in. That all made sense. But this whole clear thing just seems wrong / stupid. Am I missing something.

• These two go together. Player have been very vocal about the cost of the Premium tanks, so we removed the permanent built in camo factor that was charged for in the price of the tank. Now it is the players choice if they want to pay extra for the camo factor or not. They could also use silver or wait until a Camo Sale event happens to buy permanent camo at a lower cost.
  • If you didn't mind paying extra for the permanent camo as you mentioned, buying the permanent clear coat will cost you the same amount  you would of had to pay if it was built it. 
  • Result of this change: Players pay the same, or less gold now. 

Gallant Prime #8 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 41045 battles
  • [47R]

The Wojtek actually was being sold for more, though they obfuscate that a bit with the special crews.  I think I outlined my thoughts on pricing in a previous Pudel thread so won't go through that hear but just to say I like options, but I want full options on every vehicle and a clear static pricing chart for those options.  

Edit:  I also want to say I thank WG for adding clear coat as it allows me to have the camo factor without looking at some of those hideous desert camos.  Please add more desert camos.  

Also, camels on the desert maps would be cool as well.  Maybe a caravan in the distance.  

Teffisk #9 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:48 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18101 battles
  • [-CHF-]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 11 February 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

"And if you do actually have to purchase the clear on the Wojtek too, then why does it have the paint in the first place?"

I liked how the reg Super Pershing had no paint and you could customize it. And the Freedom cost a bit more but the paint had the camo factor built in. That all made sense. But this whole clear thing just seems wrong / stupid. Am I missing something.

• These two go together. Player have been very vocal about the cost of the Premium tanks, so we removed the permanent built in camo factor that was charged for in the price of the tank. Now it is the players choice if they want to pay extra for the camo factor or not. They could also use silver or wait until a Camo Sale event happens to buy permanent camo at a lower cost.
  • If you didn't mind paying extra for the permanent camo as you mentioned, buying the permanent clear coat will cost you the same amount of you would have to pay it it was built it. 

On this topic, can we have a camo sale soon? I have lots of gold to give you and lots of premiums and 10s to paint. Lots.

AJH387 #10 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13126 battles
  • [HLCAT]

View PostTeffisk, on 11 February 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

It feels like a deceitful cashgrab to me. Clear camo was a feature a few players asked for. I get it. Sometimes just the metal tank looks cool. Then WG rubbed their hands together and thought, how can we make money off this?

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. I totally understand being able to leave a tank look as-is but get the increased camo factor. But I think that if you buy a premium that has a skin or camo built into it, then it should come with the factor built in, no?

View PostDiabolicGambit, on 11 February 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Custom tanks should come with the camo factor included in the price.. after all it's a skin.. now if you had the option to buy BASE camo and show just the standard tank that would be nice.. 

Yes. Like for the Pudel, if it kept the markings  that it has but still needed to buy the camo factor added to it, then it should at least get a choice of camo paint (and the markings still show) And if you aren't able to alter the appearance, then the camo factor should be included as-is. Buying a clear-only serves no purpose, in my opinion.

AJH387 #11 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13126 battles
  • [HLCAT]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 11 February 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

• If you didn't mind paying extra for the permanent camo as you mentioned, buying the permanent clear coat will cost you the same amount  you would of had to pay if it was built it. 

Ok, that was more along the lines of what I wanted to hear. I know people have asked for different things as far as customization and what-not on certain premiums, which is why I made the thread. I guess that makes sense then. I was more focused in on the point of exterior paint going hand-in-hand with the camo factor. But after hearing this, I guess I can understand why it works this way. Thank you.

AJH387 #12 Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13126 battles
  • [HLCAT]

View PostRuefulCenturion, on 11 February 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

You can buy camo with silver and easily make the cost back, I don't see the problem? 

I realize that but that is totally besides the point and not at all what I was asking. 

cydewaze #13 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5912 battles
  • [ALSRN]

View PostTeffisk, on 11 February 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

On this topic, can we have a camo sale soon? I have lots of gold to give you and lots of premiums and 10s to paint. Lots.

Same here. I have around a dozen tanks needing camo, and I'm sure not going to buy it unless it's on sale.

N333DL3 #14 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33585 battles

People just wanted to have their tanks look stock but also get the camo benefit.  There were alot of complaints that you have to have a gaudy paint job to reap the benefit, this just offers the same benefit if you want your tank 'plain'.

It's a good thing.

AJH387 #15 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:42 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13126 battles
  • [HLCAT]

View PostN333DL3, on 11 February 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

People just wanted to have their tanks look stock but also get the camo benefit.  There were alot of complaints that you have to have a gaudy paint job to reap the benefit, this just offers the same benefit if you want your tank 'plain'.

It's a good thing.

Ya I totally get that. But I just felt like premiums that already had significant markings, paint on them still needed the clear purchased even though they have no other options. On the older premiums, the plain premiums could be camoed a variety of schemes (or clear to be left stock) but the ones like the Freedom, the paint/markings counted as camo factor. But on the T29 MM it's paint and markings do not count. It can be altered with a camo pattern however (although it is still hard to see and looks better 'stock ). But the Pudel has no way to alter it's look but you still have to pay for clear if you want the camo factor. So I was just wondering why things changed. But Max somewhat answered it. Still not sure I am totally on board with it, but I can see why it is that way, I guess.

Edited by AJH387, 11 February 2019 - 07:12 PM.

N333DL3 #16 Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33585 battles

View PostAJH387, on 11 February 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Ya I totally get that. But I just felt like premiums that already had significant markings, paint on them still needed the clear purchased even though they have no other options. On the older premiums, the plain premiums could be camoed a variety of schemes (or clear to be left stock) but the ones like the Freedom, the paint/markings counted as camo factor. But on the T29 MM it's paint and markings do not count. It can be altered with a camo pattern however (although it is still hard to see and looks better 'stock;). But the Pudel has no way to alter it's look but you still have to pay for clear if you want the camo factor. So I was just wondering why things changed. But Max somewhat answered it. Still not sure I am totally on board with it, but I can see why it is that way, I guess.

That doesn't sound like an unreasonable request if I'm understading correctly.

For example I have the Turtle light tank, and I like the stock paint job it came with.  So I opt for the clear paint job to keep it looking the way it came

Kaboost #17 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:07 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 12305 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 11 February 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

So just to clarify any new tier 8 premium tank with special paint will be 800 gold cheaper because you will need to buy clear camo separate?

On topic I like clear camo because of tanks like Fury or Fighting Girlfriend

Lights tanks need love

​give them back thier view range and buff traverse speeds

USSWISCONSIN94 #18 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9801 battles
  • [47R]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 11 February 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Then explain as to why we have to pay more for camo like summer, winter, desert and URBAN camo then? Why do we have to pay for 4 of them when PC pays for 3?

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

Perfecshionist #19 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10101 battles

Clear camo as an option is fine.

Clear camo as the ONLY option on some tanks is straight up unethical and the kind of consumer outrage that hits EA needs to also hit WG sometimes.

PYLE33 #20 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 7397 battles

I get why that change was made. What eludes me is why tanks like the 50tp prototype can have camo patterns applied that work with the custom skin it already has and others are stuck with just one and no other options. Tanks like the McDragon might go from being pointedly bright to pretty sweet with some patterns that overlay and work with all that red.

Equal opportunity does not necessarily mean equal outcomes. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users