Mercenaries MOE Skulls are OK Moar skulls are OKer

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

M4ntiX #21 Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23339 battles

View Postfozfactor, on 21 February 2019 - 02:20 AM, said:

Very nice work dude. I'm sure the upcoming 3rd mark on my BB will make me persona non grata to some but ce la vie. Maybe the 3rd Jammer mark will make up for it?  :bajan:

Thanks man and best of luck on your 3rd MOE quest. I wonder if other people prioritize the clown tanks too... hmm... I always seem to shoot at them first. :P

fozfactor #22 Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 56770 battles

View PostM4ntiX, on 21 February 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

Thanks man and best of luck on your 3rd MOE quest. I wonder if other people prioritize the clown tanks too... hmm... I always seem to shoot at them first. :P

That's why they make spall-liners. ;) 

And thanks for the luck, mainly play it for the daily on the crew these days and tbh seems to be happening on it's own.

M4ntiX #23 Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23339 battles

View Postfozfactor, on 21 February 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

That's why they make spall-liners. ;) 

And thanks for the luck, mainly play it for the daily on the crew these days and seems to happening on it's own.

Yeah, I hear you. Tbh, I never planned to 3 mark the Spyglass either, but playing for Stinger contract got me to around 90% MOE and since I was having so much fun, I decided to go for it. It will probably be the only Merc I own with three skulls on the barrel though.

FinlandRed #24 Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 19608 battles

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 21 February 2019 - 01:36 AM, said:

the Turtle was pretty easy to 3 mark I thought, but maybe more people have it since it was a premium 

TBH mate I'd be concerned if you or Mr Arrowsmith had difficulty three marking any tank. :trollface:

I remember those clan practices looking at everyone elses tank thinking "**** I've only got two marks on this thing"

Pit Friend #25 Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31138 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostM4ntiX, on 21 February 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

I have to say if I’m given a choice of targets seeing one of them makes the choice a lot easier. :izmena:

I hope to one day be wealthy enough to be considered eccentric rather than just plain nuts.  

M4ntiX #26 Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23339 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 21 February 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

I have to say if I’m given a choice of targets seeing one of them makes the choice a lot easier. :izmena:

That is so true. Killing those Abominations brings me great joy. :P

M4ntiX #27 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23339 battles

View PostM4ntiX, on 21 February 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

Yeah, I hear you. Tbh, I never planned to 3 mark the Spyglass either, but playing for Stinger contract got me to around 90% MOE and since I was having so much fun, I decided to go for it. It will probably be the only Merc I own with three skulls on the barrel though.

Well, this comment didn't age well as it happened again... For someone who doesn't like Mercenary tanks, I sure do like 3-marking them it seems... :)

This is the Stinger, a tier VI light tank inspired by a real life machine. I wasn't planning on getting a 3rd MOE on it at all, I only wanted to get an ace tanker.

However, ace requirements on this particular machine are rather high, sitting at ~1700 base XP, so by the time I finally got the mastery it had a 2nd barrel mark on it.

Chasing the 3rd mark wasn't easy as I didn't have the tank set up the right way. First of all, you absolutely *need* to train Clutch Braking on your crew.

Combination of track traverse and ground resistance values makes this thing turn like a boat on anything that's not asphalt. So, in order to be able to turn quickly and circle tanks, this skill is an absolute must. If you're using the native crew, I recommend spending 20 gold and getting 6th Sense and Clutch Braking. Next you should train BIA, Camo, Recon and Situational Awareness since this tank has good camo from the start I don't think it needs all the camo skills. I managed to get it to ~97% MOE with above skills and perks.

Equipment selection is very important and this is where I made my mistake that cost me quite a few games. This tank is a pure active scout, in any other role it pretty much sucks. So, set it up with Optics, Vert Stabs and Gun Rammer for spotting and firing on the move. Since it has very low alpha damage, the goal here is to also maximize DPM and fire as fast as possible. You will miss 1/4 of your shots, so the more shells you can send down range, the better.

Consumables I used were Large Repair Kit, Small Repair Kit & Food. I decided to run food to get the reload down to ~3.4 seconds for CQB engagements. For some reason crew gets very rarely injured, so med kit is not required.

With the above set up spotting distance is an impressive 460 metres and that's enough to outspot nearly everything you will face (even when bottom tier).

The way I played this tank was very map dependent, on open maps you're quick and small enough to yolo at the very start of the battle and get some early spots.

On corridor and city maps I would tend to stay back and support the team. This tank's crazy fire rate allows to comfortably keep enemies perma tracked without

getting spotted. In later stages of the battle I would go for arty and singled out targets, as this little bugger is totally capable of circling and farming slower vehicles.

All in all it was an interesting adventure. I have learned a lot and after 100 battles or so the Stinger and I were one. :) Play it purely in the active scout role and this tank will deliver. Oh, one more thing. Penetration values on standard AP shells are really bad. You will have to spam some premium, there is no way around it.

I would bounce the sides and rears of same tier tanks, going against tier VIII's you do not stand a chance of penning anything. Also be prepared to spend a lot of

time behind enemy lines when hunting artillery, as it will take 4-6 shots to kill a tier VIII arty. :) So, my ammo loadout started being 40-20, then it became 30-30,

finally set on 20AP & 40APCR. Good luck and have fun if you choose to 3-mark this little beast. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users