Do we all get an equal chance of fair MM?

MM Steamrolls

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

TocFanKe4 #41 Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19835 battles
  • [GIRLS]

View Postrrmike, on 01 March 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

While Max believes “honeymoon” mm is still in existence, I think he is wrong.  I have been grinding a lot of new lines on my alt and I usually don’t get top tier in the first match despite healthy numbers in queue and <30 sec. wait time.  At least that was the case a month or so ago.  I think it was like 5 first matches in a row with a new tank it just plopped me immediately into bottom tier games.  Maybe it has been fixed but it was NOT working like it used to.

You won't be top tier guaranteed. Mid tier might be "easier" at that moment. If you're platooning, it goes out the window. And sometimes there's weird combos of tanks in the queue. You think there's more tanks but at your tier there might not be a good mix to make top.

It was a complete surprise to me when people started saying there wasn't honeymoon MM anymore. I've never noticed that it changed. I usually get decent MM when I take out a new tank completely solo

I'm not Camping, I'm Glamping

rrmike #42 Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:47 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 20373 battles
  • [ARROW]

View PostTocFanKe4, on 02 March 2019 - 04:24 AM, said:

You won't be top tier guaranteed. Mid tier might be "easier" at that moment. If you're platooning, it goes out the window. And sometimes there's weird combos of tanks in the queue. You think there's more tanks but at your tier there might not be a good mix to make top.

It was a complete surprise to me when people started saying there wasn't honeymoon MM anymore. I've never noticed that it changed. I usually get decent MM when I take out a new tank completely solo

I used to sit in queue for a bit while it got me a top tier match every time. Now it just drops me right in top middle or bottom tier.

TennisMan56 #43 Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26220 battles
  • [STDZ]

So I decided to test this "honey moon" theory, that lots of forumers talk about. St Emil,

5 games, never top tier. First 2 games, bottom tier, 3rd and 4th games, middle tier, 5th game bottom tier. I just started this German line of destroyers this week as I wanted to finish the jammer contract first. I even took screen shots. Do with the information what you like but if my marriage would have started this way I would not be celebrating 21 wonderful years this June.

Edited by TennisMan56, 02 March 2019 - 02:40 PM.

TennisMan56 #44 Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26220 battles
  • [STDZ]

On a side note I am not complaining, life is not aways fair, we should not all get a trophy because we were there. Life has a way of knocking you down multiple times, but the only thing that matters is that you get up each time and are stronger for it.

Jope2209 #45 Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29382 battles

View PostTennisMan56, on 02 March 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

On a side note I am not complaining, life is not aways fair, we should not all get a trophy because we were there. Life has a way of knocking you down multiple times, but the only thing that matters is that you get up each time and are stronger for it.

This would be good moment to insert a nice quote before anyone else gets the same idea:

"Mama always said" Life was like a box of chocolates,  never know what you're gonna get".

Spoiler

Edited by Jope2209, 02 March 2019 - 03:47 PM.

The 13. (Tiger) Kompanie, of Panzer Regiment Großdeutschland, reported on the performance of the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56, when their Tigers engaged the T-34: "First round hits were usually achieved at ranges between 800 to 1,000 meters. At these ranges, the Panzer Granate (they are referring to the PzGr. 39 APCBC ammunition) absolutely penetrated through the frontal armor, and usually still destroyed the engine at the rear of the T-34 tank. In 80 percent of the cases, shots from the same range hitting the side of the hull toward the rear of the tank resulted in the fuel tanks exploding. Even at ranges of 1,500 meters and longer, during favorable weather, it is possible to succeed in penetrating the T-34 with minimal expenditure of ammunition" (JENTZ, Thomas L.; Germany's TIGER Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics; op. cit.).

3 MoE tanks: T-34, Pz IVH, Tiger I, Pz.Kpfw. T 25, M7, T-50

New updated poll - please take a minute and cast your votes for the least preferred map in rotation (2019)

Pit Friend #46 Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31478 battles
  • [PTATO]

View PostJope2209, on 02 March 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

This would be good moment to insert a nice quote before anyone else gets the same idea:

"Mama always said" Life was like a box of chocolates,  never know what you're gonna get".

Spoiler

I prefer the version the Cigarette Smoking Man said in an episode of the X Files. :)

TennisMan56 #47 Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:27 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26220 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostJope2209, on 02 March 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Spoiler

So true.

Lysith3a #48 Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14567 battles

First two games of the day, awful teams and crushing defeats.

Annnnnnnd off you go.

I aim to misbehave

MilitaryGoose05 #49 Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:43 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11147 battles
11 games yesterday, I was top tier once.

Lysith3a #50 Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14567 battles
It’s a shame that they can’t bake a basic intelligence test into the MM. Even when the sides look fair you can almost bet your bottom dollar that you’ve been paired with various siblings from the Stooge clan. Honestly, some of the absolute fcuking muppets who play this game....

I aim to misbehave

TennisMan56 #51 Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26220 battles
  • [STDZ]
Did manage to get top tier more often after I had upgraded the gun. The "honey moon" was almost cut short though after 11 games of no top tier. 

Tempest fox3 #52 Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19214 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSPUK4U, on 01 March 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Do we all get an equal chance of fair MM?   No, it depends on MM weight of the tank you chose to use and amount of players waiting.

Example: If you are using V/IV it fairly classifies you are tier VI heavy tank and if you play badly with it you are more likely the reason why the team loses.

Fixed that for you. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

Poppyluv77 #53 Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11067 battles

View PostSPUK4U, on 01 March 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Do we all get an equal chance of fair MM?   No, it depends on MM weight of the tank you chose to use and amount of players waiting.

Example: If you are using V/IV it unfairly classifies you are tier VI heavy tank and if you play badly with it you are more likely the reason why the team loses.

and just how do you know this? Reference? No one seems to know (A) How the MM was DESIGNED to work (everyone loves to guess and speculate) and (B) How it works in ACTUALITY

Poppyluv77 #54 Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:49 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11067 battles

View PostPoppyluv77, on 05 March 2019 - 12:38 AM, said:

and just how do you know this? Reference? No one seems to know (A) How the MM was DESIGNED to work (everyone loves to guess and speculate) and (B) How it works in ACTUALITY

I meant how do you know (since you speak with such “authority”;) that it categorizes the V/IV as a tier 6 heavy. Where did you read this?Please let me know. I think the MM sucks frankly but I can’t claim to know how it works as a lot of people on this forum seem to do.

BigZoomBear #55 Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:55 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48862 battles

View PostLysith3a, on 01 March 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

I think it’s most likely fair. It’s incredibly frustrating when you find yourself in a string of useless teams though.

Minutes into the game and you know you’ve got a bad one - sometimes it doesn’t matter and you can still have a good game yourself. Other times you just question why you bother.

Honestly, some of the absolute bogwoppets I’ve seen this morning....

Minutes into a game? More like seconds.:(

"It's all about the K/D ratio." - Rommel;  "Winning matters, not WN8" - Churchill;

"MoEs are worthless if your win rate is below 60%" - Montgomery

3 MoEs: Hellcat, Knight, ELC (100%), T67 (100%), T-50, Archer, SU-85I

BigZoomBear #56 Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:03 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48862 battles

View PostPoppyluv77, on 05 March 2019 - 12:49 AM, said:

I meant how do you know (since you speak with such “authority”;) that it categorizes the V/IV as a tier 6 heavy. Where did you read this?Please let me know. I think the MM sucks frankly but I can’t claim to know how it works as a lot of people on this forum seem to do.

Check out the WoT PC tankopedia. Some tanks get a higher weighting, Pz. V/IV is one of them.

"It's all about the K/D ratio." - Rommel;  "Winning matters, not WN8" - Churchill;

"MoEs are worthless if your win rate is below 60%" - Montgomery

3 MoEs: Hellcat, Knight, ELC (100%), T67 (100%), T-50, Archer, SU-85I

test777777 #57 Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11006 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

Do we all get an equal chance of getting fair match making?  I doubt it. Although what is fair match making? I consider it to be fair opportunity to participate in the battle.

For that to occur, for me, I think most tanks that I encounter in any given session should be of my tier. Regardless of the battle tiering, top, bottom or middle. If most tanks in the battle are of my tier or of my relative capability - I've got opportunities to participate in a fair way. As soon as most tanks I encounter are below my tier or above my tier it becomes unfair. 

The main reason for my belief that MM is not equally impacting is that time zones impact population levels which impacts the Match Making potential.  Most times that I play there's 50-80  players queuing over 10 tiers. Depending on what tier one plays, the consistency and flexibility of the match maker is hindered by the limited player numbers.   That means that lower tier tanks are often used to fill higher tier battles. MM is often brutal and tier X is massively advantaged. Forget tiers below tier V. Tier X will rarely occupy more than half of a battle and tier VIIIs are often pulled to make up the numbers for tier X/IX battles. Top tier minority occurs or tier IX and X only as far as I can tell. Platooning is not as impacting on MM and they tend to be small and openly broadcast in French, Italian  or Portugese. A lot of the time my tiering limits my ability to participate in what I would call a fair way, regularly finding myself in battles where more than half of the tanks in the battle are as powerful or more powerful than mine.  Battles are rarely quick one sided affairs. I think teams are generally better balanced, even if players are impacted to a greater degree with opportunities to participate due to being pulled in to higher tier battles more often. Tier Xs are unfairly advantaged. 

On weekends though when I have access to Northern hemisphere peak times - there are often more than triple the number of players and noticeably fairer match making.    I note it's not unusual to have a two tier spread or most tanks in battle being of the same tier as the tank that I take in with similar sort of numbers, 8 of one tier, 7 of another per side. Platoons are more common, The chances of  battles with platoons of OP tanks or 3+ arty are not unusual. The MM tiering is fairer(my opportunity to participate is much more consistent) but the battles tend to be shorter and more one sided from a team outcome perspective. Match's per hour increases phenomenally. Far more lemming trains and players with generally no clue plus more larger platoons of players who have a clue creates vastly swinging battles and arguably more frustrating ones when focusing on winning.  Due to tiering fairness, I tend to do more and have more satisfaction and produce bigger damage numbers relative to my team mates. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have any impact on W/L ratios. 

Regardless of the tank mix in a battle or time of day I can have good games and bad games. 

In my opinion It's  unlikely that the match making potential(chance) providing an opportunity to participate for me is equal to someone who plays during US peak times or UK peak times. 

Playing it safe

test777777 #58 Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11006 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostBigZoomBear, on 05 March 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Check out the WoT PC tankopedia. Some tanks get a higher weighting, Pz. V/IV is one of them.

I checked out the PC Tankpedia, noted two V/IV there with 520 hit points. I also noted a chart on PC Wiki in relation to match making and weighting suggesting said tanks have unique MM and only sees tier V and VI. It did mention article was outdated though. Can you provide a link to the article that you are referring to please? - it can be a bit of a minefield trying to get exact and current information so a link would be very useful.

It's difficult to believe tier VI heavy equivalent though. When there's a couple of tier V/IV mediums on one side only, which happens, Tier VI heavy tank weighting would would suggest a severely greater number of tier V heavy tanks on the other side to compensate. I can't say I've noticed that. 

Playing it safe

OulSider #59 Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 13533 battles

Here is a good read for yall. Link to the patent in the article.

http://exposingwot.c...d-match-making/

Tankatar #60 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 8305 battles

Today is my 5 year anniversary with 7 days premium and I have no interest in playing this game.  MM is the reason for me and the excuse made for a corrupt mechanic is low server pop lately.  5 years and nothing gets better, only worse. I fail to see how new players would have much fun in matches being bottom tier @ 80% of the time.  Taking a long break..Peace

I wish I could gift those 7 premium days.

Edited by Tankatar, 10 March 2019 - 09:32 PM.

Also tagged with MM, Steamrolls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users