8 replies to this topic

Vampire_Izumi #1 Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25741 battles
  • [LEONI]

it is a good tank, here are my pros/cons on the Tortoise:

Pros:

• amazing gun that reloads fast! (got it down to 5.80ish seconds without food!)
  • great pen! (usely never need to fire premium rounds)
  • Good Accuracy (0.31)
  • good gun handling
  • can fight and win against multiple enemies by it's self due to high DPM. 
  • great armor VS 7s and 8s (will have a VERY hard time damaging you unless they fire premium)
  • 10 degrees of gun depression! (makes it great on ridgelines.)
  • has HP equivalent to a tier 10 Tank Destroyer! (2000 hp)
  • decent gun arc (allows poking out of cover without showing your Gigantic cupola,)

Cons:

• very slow (takes a wile to reach the battlefield, RIP if your team steamrolls) (20khp and 10.54 hpt)
  • VERY easy to flank and kill (due to no turret and VERY slow track traverse) ( 22deg/s)
  • overall armor VS tier 9, 10 and premium ammo (most of the armor is flat and rely's on thickness, you can angle but will often still be penned. it does have angled parts of the armor but they are waaay thinner and can usely be penned pretty easily.)
  • giant cupola (can be shot from all sides of tank. it is GIGANTIC, flat and has poor armor)
  • tank roof is easily Overmatched. (21-31mms thick, 90-92mm gun to overmatch the roof, which means most tier 8, 9 and 10 tanks can overmatch it.
  • Artillery priority Target (you are very slow and have a VERY powerful gun making you a High priority for artillery)

Overall thought:

the tank's gun is amazing! but the armor and mobility really lets down this tank. most parts of the armor rely on thickness and the parts that are actually angled are thinner than the  flat parts and are easily penned.

this tank dominates tiers 7 and 8 as long as they do not load premium rounds. against tiers 9 and 10 it can do a lot of damage to them, but  can be easily penned by them aswell.

overall the tank is pretty balanced but in my opinion could use a bit of a armor buff.

Best feature of the tank: 

the gun -  10/10 one of if not the best gun at tier 9.

worst feature of the tank:

mobility&armor 

tank is 100% worth it if you like fast firing, accurate 120mms and are fine with getting ruined in some games by Artillery or tier 9 and 10 tanks/premium ammo.

these are just my thoughts and opinions based on the time i have been grinding to Unlock both the FV215B 183 and the Badger, which is 112 games.

leave me your thoughts and opinions down below! :) 

thank you! :)

Edited by greenteam117, 01 March 2019 - 05:39 PM.

A lie about a lie turns inside out upon itself. - Magane chikujoin   

Marks of Excellence:

Koncorde #2 Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24459 battles
Can't disagree with anything, however there is a plus point you don't mention. While it doesn't have a turret, it does have (I think) the widest gun arc of any fixed gun, and the gun depression isn't bad either. This means that if you can find the right position then you can sit, dwell, and cover a very wide swathe of ground. Ideal for maps like Redshire.

You weakness is getting spotted and what happens afterwards, but it can be an utterly devastating defensive tank when firing into busy brawls, or picking off multiple targets at different angles.

The gun arc also works in city maps, where you can hide 1/3rd or more of your tank, angle you gun at 36 degrees or whatever it is down the road, and then just roll back and forth better than most. Unfortunately this also makes you likely to be tracked, and then HEAT will melt your flat pieces.

I enjoyed the Tortoise more than the AT15, weak spots and all. Just sold it after unlocking the Badger.

Happy to retire it just as much as I enjoyed playing it though.

aegisbm #3 Posted 01 March 2019 - 06:32 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11711 battles

I also just finished the grind on it (god bless the string theory ops) and pretty much agree with everything you said except she is not that easy to flank, with clutch braking and offroad driving it spins on a dime compared to something like the object 704 or a Jagdtiger , this coupled with the insane gun arc makes it relatively easy to surprise people who think they can eat a shot and take your flank and rear in return, the only real threat is a med or light facehugging your rear or side because you were tunnel-visioning  hard or you have incompetent teammates who cannot figure that the moving bunker absorbing damage for them might need its flank covered,  also I would like to add the gun mantlet to the list of weakspots, the round plate on the gun is flat and not very thick,fortunately it is a relatively small target and not many people seem to know about it 

Like you said best aspect is the amazing gun, I can live with the limited mobility but it does need an armor buff to justify that speed and please for the love of god get rid of the overmatcheable roof

Scientia Potentia Est

rik242 #4 Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 6461 battles
I've been grinding with the AT15 for what seems like an eternity. It's good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel with the Tortoise!

aegisbm #5 Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 11711 battles

View Postrik242, on 01 March 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

I've been grinding with the AT15 for what seems like an eternity. It's good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel with the Tortoise!

If  you find the AT15 manageable or even comfortable to play despite its drawbacks you are going to love the Tortoise,the upgrade feels like when going from the wimpy Tiger II into the ripped E75

Scientia Potentia Est

Koncorde #6 Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24459 battles
The AT15 has almost none of the advantages of its big brother, but almost all the same drawbacks plus some other glaring problems when facing bigger guns. The Tortoise is a massive upgrade all around, although the grind to the top gun isn't fun.

Mashed #7 Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35766 battles
I played through the Tortoise in 113 games to unlock both Tier 10's, thanks to a load of free XP boosts.

I unlocked the tracks, then waited until I unlocked the Conway to get the 120mm gun, that saved 60k XP of extra pain.

I found the gun to be excellent, with a good arc. The speed, maneuverability and useless armour against Tier 9+ tanks made it annoying to play unless I could hide the huge weakspot behind cover taking right hand turns everywhere.

I had more fun playing the Conway with a new 75% crew to be honest.

MashedIT | YouTube | Mixer |

You only help your team mates, because they cannot be shot at, if they are dead.

iNsaneMilesy #8 Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15368 battles
  • [XXXCP]
Did they just nerf the Tortoise armour? Because its weaker than an AT7 now. An AT7 with a 20pdr at Tier 7 is better than a bloody Tortoise. I just unlocked it and now its useless.
THIRTY CORPS (XXXCP)

Koncorde #9 Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:04 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24459 battles
Tortoise always been that way, needs to use angles and gun depression for maximum chance of success.

It has an armour buff on PC I don't think we have had yet.

Also tagged with Tortoise

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users