Let's get it straight! Progetto is pronounced as "jet" not "geay" and an acc...

Italian progetto pronunciation language

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

test777777 #21 Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostHypocrite, on 05 March 2019 - 11:58 PM, said:

The English are not exactly famous for caring how another language's words are pronounced. 

There's a whole host of different pronunciations of English words throughout England. What you call mispronounced and disrespectful, others might refer to it as pronounced differently and simply adopting a word as being a sign of respect.

Most people will attempt to pronounce something according to the sounds and rules of their language. I personally am unable to articulate many of the sounds present in European languages including having an inability to roll my rrrrs.  African languages are something else, likewise with some of the Australian languages.   

Regarding the English specifically,  I'm not English nor a royalist but the Queen of England is reportedly very fluent in French and reportedly won the respect of the irish when she delivered a speech a few years back in reportedly well spoken Gaelic. Officially she doesn't speak Gaelic as far as I know. The point being that the example set by the English head of state today hints at the Queen of England is more famous for her meticulous care rather than uncaring attitude.

Yes, when a word borrowed from another language is adopted by the English, it is probably pronounced differently and anglosized but then it becomes an English word derived from a foreign language.  

Playing it safe

mockney_piers #22 Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 9316 battles
  • [FILTH]
I think he's referring to the English penchant for going abroad and just speaking English sllloowwwwly and LOUDLY as a rudimentary universal translator :)

Also tagged with Italian, progetto, pronunciation, language

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users