FV215b Tier X Heavy

Worst horrible not fun waste of time

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Cajun Moondawg #1 Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 19666 battles

I admit I am average at best in the higher tiered games but it seems that I am the only player using the FV215b. I got it before the S Conquerer and Chiefton were available and while the grind was long, I did have fun getting to the FV215b but it seems like the red team is saying "0h great there some idiot playing the FV215b..." I stopped playing it and started to play it with the TX Op going on but will stop after I get my first win, 0-7 today but the day is not over. I am beginning to understand why it was a proposed only British tank and no prototypes were manufactured. I know I can now start another grind and get the S Conquerer or Cheifton which at least play somewhat similar to its predecessor tanks but I am having more fun in other lines where the higher tiers play more like the previous tanks (I believe this is the only tank in this line with a front engine and rear mount turret). Just felt like venting since at one time I thought getting this tank was an accomplishment and would have fun learning to battle in it. And yes I have watched some videos and used the forum - the video on how to play the FV215b was almost as amusing as reading the comments on the video. Live and learn but hoping I can trade this pig in for something else.

RabidSasquatch0 #2 Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:38 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 21256 battles
  • [VYPER]

215b is a complete joke. The conqueror has been buffed like 6 times since it was first released (stock turret, top turret twice, gun depression, hull armor, HP, just to name a few).  The 215b hasn't been touched.  By all accounts it should have none of the weakspots it currently has (if you know where to aim, you can never has more than 100mm effective armor exposed, unless you're hull down which you can't do with a rear mounted turret and 7° of gun depression, atleast not compared to it's predecessor.

It's got an amazing gun, it always has, but the only way you can do good is if people don't shoot at you, and you're always better off in a super conqueror or even a conqueror a tier lower.

Raekju #3 Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24952 battles
  • [-GGS-]
FV215 is easily the highest skill gap heavy at tier 10 in addition to being power creeped pretty hard.

Former Account: HappeningShrimp

58 Tanks with 3 MoE (100% MoE have **)

Spoiler

Koncorde #4 Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:41 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24942 battles
I like the 215 over a fair few tanks, but it can be heavily influenced by map and your own team in ways that aren't easy to adapt compared to a more traditionally configured tank. Playing the E5 is remarkably simple, and the Super Conquer matches much of its play style. Nothing really plays like the 215, and where it can shine is often limited and undermined when other people deny it those positions, or push out beyond what it finds comfortable.

It just isn't tough enough to play the way it is designed to be played, and DPM buffs wouldn't help, it would have to be Super Conquer type spaced armour to really see an impact.

RabidSasquatch0 #5 Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:26 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 21256 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostKoncorde, on 11 March 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

I like the 215 over a fair few tanks, but it can be heavily influenced by map and your own team in ways that aren't easy to adapt compared to a more traditionally configured tank. Playing the E5 is remarkably simple, and the Super Conquer matches much of its play style. Nothing really plays like the 215, and where it can shine is often limited and undermined when other people deny it those positions, or push out beyond what it finds comfortable.

It just isn't tough enough to play the way it is designed to be played, and DPM buffs wouldn't help, it would have to be Super Conquer type spaced armour to really see an impact.

it just needs it's weakspots removed (the side under the turret, makes no sense the "side armor" heavy has the weakest side armor), it's side armor buffed by ~20-40mm, and it would honestly be fine.  Rn it's just a bad conqueror at tier 10.

Koncorde #6 Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:36 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24942 battles
The cheeks aren't too much an issue for me (rarely hit) although removing them would be ace, the entire turret however is underwhelming now compared to the Super Conqueror and Conqueror at the tier lower.

RF YIN #7 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16009 battles

View PostCajun Moondawg, on 10 March 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

I admit I am average at best in the higher tiered games but it seems that I am the only player using the FV215b. I got it before the S Conquerer and Chiefton were available and while the grind was long, I did have fun getting to the FV215b but it seems like the red team is saying "0h great there some idiot playing the FV215b..." I stopped playing it and started to play it with the TX Op going on but will stop after I get my first win, 0-7 today but the day is not over. I am beginning to understand why it was a proposed only British tank and no prototypes were manufactured. I know I can now start another grind and get the S Conquerer or Cheifton which at least play somewhat similar to its predecessor tanks but I am having more fun in other lines where the higher tiers play more like the previous tanks (I believe this is the only tank in this line with a front engine and rear mount turret). Just felt like venting since at one time I thought getting this tank was an accomplishment and would have fun learning to battle in it. And yes I have watched some videos and used the forum - the video on how to play the FV215b was almost as amusing as reading the comments on the video. Live and learn but hoping I can trade this pig in for something else.

the FV215b is still and will always be the best heavy in the game, sidescraping god if you know how to negate the fighting compartment weakpoint, the tank isn’t noob friendly like the Sconq, 

StylePointsBob #8 Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 19393 battles
This tank can be infuriating to play. I have been trying to mark this tank but I can hardly break 60%.    

Orbtastic1 #9 Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42127 battles
  • [UK]
They need to decrease the chance of fire in it. Granted "hull down" but the game is not that simple. When I was playing a lot the other week I think I set every one that I saw on fire from frontal hits.

Geordie P #10 Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 23040 battles

View PostStylePointsBob, on 28 May 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

This tank can be infuriating to play. I have been trying to mark this tank but I can hardly break 60%.

Its difficult because usually players who play it are good with it.

Not for noobs this tank.

h

Koncorde #11 Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24942 battles

View PostKoncorde, on 12 March 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

The cheeks aren't too much an issue for me (rarely hit) although removing them would be ace, the entire turret however is underwhelming now compared to the Super Conqueror and Conqueror at the tier lower.

I take this back. Not sure what happened but suddenly every dog and it's owner is penning my sides.

PLK180W #12 Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 61 battles

View PostGeordie P, on 08 July 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Its difficult because usually players who play it are good with it.

Not for noobs this tank.

Even good players can struggle with the FV. 

Through The Mud And Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

Orbtastic1 #13 Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:59 AM

Major

• Players
  • 42127 battles
  • [UK]
Set four on fire last week with light tanks from the front. They must hate me after thinking "light tanks, piñata" One of them was even firing APCR at me.

JPollocksNo5 #14 Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34440 battles
  • [UK]

I like it. I do ok in it. Sometimes have great games.

Maybe not so much once they brought out the tier 10 lights and more unpennable Russian heavies.

The issues with it are:

The armour is a bit weak. Never liked sidescraping as it never seems to work for me. Where this tank does work is facehugging. The amount of slow reloading heavies that are very willing to face hug you... My god. E100s, IS7 etc. etc. Just don't panic and trust your timing. Use the old pull back and pen LFG method. Your aim time is decent and your reload is great. 

The ammo load out is poor/low. Constantly switching between types is a waste of time in close quarters. Pick one and stick to it. The reason people might be pinging apcr at you is the annoyance at switching to baby hesh or normal and back.

I find if I play a few games in it in a row I'll do better. had some stinkers in it.

The rear engine and spongy handling can be hard to get used to. it feels like driving a sofa sometimes.

Play it like a TD and hang back a bit. The layout of the tank makes it poor for hills and ridge raiding. So don't do it.

Pretty much guaranteed to set stuff on fire with premo ammo.

baby hesh will give some damage to turrets etc, which panics some people

E4/E3 are going to give you a mauling just becasue of the high damage output and guns.

KV4 Hate #15 Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:19 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 19726 battles
  • [RDM]

Kinda new to forums first post thanks for the info will test this stuff out 

Galy10 #16 Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17660 battles
  • [TRASH]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 10 March 2019 - 11:38 PM, said:

215b is a complete joke. The conqueror has been buffed like 6 times since it was first released (stock turret, top turret twice, gun depression, hull armor, HP, just to name a few).  The 215b hasn't been touched.  By all accounts it should have none of the weakspots it currently has (if you know where to aim, you can never has more than 100mm effective armor exposed, unless you're hull down which you can't do with a rear mounted turret and 7° of gun depression, atleast not compared to it's predecessor.

It's got an amazing gun, it always has, but the only way you can do good is if people don't shoot at you, and you're always better off in a super conqueror or even a conqueror a tier lower.

Players underestimate this tank. I find there's nothing wrong with it. Good peak a boo tank. Try not to side scrape unless you really need to.

Belgos The Drow #17 Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:13 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27920 battles
Best gun handling on a T10 heavy. Need to learn how to use the armour though, but after that it rocks!

Belgos The Drow #18 Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27920 battles
My crew only has two complete skills too!

Albapfalzd3 #19 Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22973 battles

The problem with the FV215b is that you would think it is a side scraping king with it's rear mounted turret and thick side armor but it isn't as it has these very prominent weak cheeks (extensions for the turret ring) that stick out quite a bit and will get penned every time. These are a major weak spot on the tank and no matter how you angle the tank those are exposed and will get penned. Your only solution is to get completely hull down which can be very hard to do sometimes do to the map or other reasons. The Turret is actually very good and bouncy but it has some spots that can be penned as well so keep it moving.  It's a tough tank to play but it has a great gun that makes some amazing shots. I have taken to playing mine as a support, 2nd line tank unless the map allows me to move forward and keep the hull covered. 

Roy

Belgos The Drow #20 Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27920 battles
Yep that’s how I play it. I got sucked in to thinking sidescraper but it just can’t do that. Hull down and it can snapshot like a boss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users