WTF?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

FusionStar287 #21 Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20413 battles
  • [JOCO]
Oh, I just remembered something else I've once heard in game chat. I once had somebody actually tell me that I was wasting a team slot because I was playing the US Sexton I instead of the "all-around better" (his words) UK tech tree Sexton II, and when I tried to correct him he told me that I don't know what I'm talking about and that he's a better player because "his connection is better" (again, his words). Even when I promptly one-shot killed a full health M3 Lee while moving he wouldn't listen at all.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

test777777 #22 Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:04 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostAfro Palestine, on 15 March 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

I get it, but:  150 years ago. Since your grandfather was a child 'dumb' has been MISunderstood to be a reference to intellectual status.  And Not understood to have a Non defunct meaning: unable to speak. 

So really, a mute person is not know as 'dumb' any-more.  They are mute, or 'unable to speak'. 

I’ve made some alterations above.

Most or if not all English dictionaries i’ve come across show evidence contrary to your claim. It’s widely mis used enough to have the measure of  intellectual  capacity definition listed in most modern versions today but that hardly means the definitions listed before that one are defunct. 

Playing it safe

Afro Palestine #23 Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:21 AM

Major

• Players
  • 57323 battles
  • [HKC]

View Posttest777777, on 16 March 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

I’ve made some alterations above.

Most or if not all English dictionaries i’ve come across show evidence contrary to your claim. It’s widely mis used enough to have the measure of  intellectual  capacity definition listed in most modern versions today but that hardly means the definitions listed before that one are defunct. 

But your alterations are incorrect.  Dumb isn't misunderstood to mean 'stupid', it actually means "stupid".   The old use meaning "cannot speak" has been discarded and remains an understood anachronism.    Modern speakers are not using it incorrectly.

Most modern dictionaries mention this.

DUBIOUSrepair #24 Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29520 battles
  • [LYCAN]
Occasionally I'll keep game chat on, and when I do, it's for a good chuckle.

One guy claimed his tanks had a case of the "crabs" and couldn't shoot straight. Or maybe he meant that HE had crabs...

Another person felt like singing "I believe I can fly" while leaping off every ridge and bump in his Lycan and getting his tank airborne on Sand River. That was funny,  mostly because he was off-key. He must have just got the paratrooper perk.

Funniest was a guy in an T-54 ltwt being nicely told to spot by a tall ledge on El Alamein.
His reply was "Shut the F--- up, I know what I'm doing. Only to self destruct 30 sec later by falling off the exact cliff he was directed to.
People made a point to turn on their mics so they could laugh.
Priceless.

Pit Friend #25 Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 34023 battles
  • [PTATO]
I was in a game in my fully upgraded IS-3 and had to get an earful from a guy in an IS-6. He couldn’t understand why my IS-3 was penning things his IS-6 couldn’t, since a 6 should be better than a 3. :facepalm:

When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 

ThermalStone #26 Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33439 battles
  • [80085]

View Posttest777777, on 14 March 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

While I agree their attitude seems to be rather limiting on their part, I don't think they would have the influence in battles to overcome the more dominant forces which control win/loss.  I don't think it's very wise to draw any specific conclusions as to why players might have a below average win rate or above average win rate or even average win rate apart from the idea that they aren't elite.  Almost every player fits in the same category for a multitude of reasons.

I suspect too that there are players out there who prefer capping over attrition who have  above average WR% and a much higher base capture point per game rating too. Yes this latter statement is purely speculation. 

The correlation between an anti-never-capture attitude and low win rate is pretty well established.  For reference see pretty much every capture related thread on this forum.  

It's clear that players who jump on the flag at the first opportunity cost their team more wins than they secure.  How many more wins I can't quantify but I'd like to see some of these low WL high capture point players not touch the cap circle under any circumstances for 1000 games and see how it affects their stats.  Most bad players are too small minded to try something new to improve themselves, and focus instead on traumatic single game examples, the possible instead of the probable.  The actual example that guy used for why he always caps was this one time a teammate could have capped but didn't and a Matilda pulled off a Kolobanovs.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Otis Z Firefly #27 Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21823 battles

View PostAfro Palestine, on 16 March 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

But your alterations are incorrect.  Dumb isn't misunderstood to mean 'stupid', it actually means "stupid".   The old use meaning "cannot speak" has been discarded and remains an understood anachronism.    Modern speakers are not using it incorrectly.

Most modern dictionaries mention this.

Maybe it is being used as stupid, but that doesn't mean dumb as an adjective for unable to speak or speechless is now an anachronism. 

"That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball" Pete Townshend - Pinball Wizard.

Ordo ab Chao.

Jappe81 FIN #28 Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 52794 battles
  • [CRPT]
Haven't heard a thing since hasn't worked in several weeks. Doesn't matter though because ingame chat @ EU is usually completely silent for several days until some crazy russian decides to have his kinect mic on while their family argyes with neighbors.

Blood Raven Ice #29 Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43201 battles
  • [ENG]
Years ago i had some crazy American tell me that all premium tanks were op and cheating. He swore WG were in the process of being sued because of selling them.
signature.png

Afro Palestine #30 Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

Major

• Players
  • 57323 battles
  • [HKC]

View PostOtis Z Firefly, on 16 March 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

Maybe it is being used as stupid, but that doesn't mean dumb as an adjective for unable to speak or speechless is now an anachronism. 

"That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball" Pete Townshend - Pinball Wizard.

Not to be combative but: not 'maybe'.   It is used for 'stupid'.  This is just fact.

And its use does indeed not mean 'dumb' as an adjective for unable to speak is anachronism.  However: dumb as an adjective for unable to speak or speechless is now an anachronism.   With few lingering exceptions it is now no longer used in common interactions.

Notably Pinball Wizard was released 40 years ago.

DrivableBeast35 #31 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 31913 battles
Some guy the other night was talking to his Alexa during the game, seemingly oblivious that we could all hear him. He ordered a pizza with pineapple on it. Obviously, a total loser with no taste in good food.   :teethhappy:

FineEight53 #32 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18628 battles

View PostSammael85, on 15 March 2019 - 06:35 AM, said:

I've actually muted the in-game chat because of the non-sense and stupidity one hears most of the time, specially on NA.

People just think that having a mouth entitles them to be heard all the Scheize they have to spew.

how do you mute the in game chat ? as i  have not heard any ingame chat going on for a  couple of months now and i am sure i haven't changed any settings, that i know of 

Otis Z Firefly #33 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:30 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21823 battles

View PostAfro Palestine, on 16 March 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

Not to be combative but: not 'maybe'.   It is used for 'stupid'.  This is just fact.

And its use does indeed not mean 'dumb' as an adjective for unable to speak is anachronism.  However: dumb as an adjective for unable to speak or speechless is now an anachronism.   With few lingering exceptions it is now no longer used in common interactions.

Notably Pinball Wizard was released 40 years ago.

In the UK dumb still means unable to speak or speechless. Where do "dumbstruck" and "dumbfounded" sit with this?

Ordo ab Chao.

EL3PHANT RID3RS #34 Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:02 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 27102 battles
  • [FLT]
Watching WoT on Mixer the other day and the streamer invited viewers to join and play with him. It was obvious that those who joined him had played before since it was tiers VIII-IX and they had the tanks to run the matches. The streamer was talking about the game and how it works when he mentioned buying premium ammo for silver and not gold. Instantly one of the guys that joined in said "Wait, you can get them for silver?".

Heard basically the same thing a while back from a guy in a Motherland.

DrHorrible4Life #35 Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:24 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 12594 battles

View PostBlood Raven Ice, on 16 March 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Years ago i had some crazy American tell me that all premium tanks were op and cheating. He swore WG were in the process of being sued because of selling them.

Whoa!  I think I ran into that same guy, very long time ago.  Guy had some crazy theories, like you couldn't track a premium with 1 shot and some other examples of proof that glue smells good.

GALAXIE4291966 #36 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:21 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 23864 battles
German tanks called Vickers. They think that`s what the VK stands for

Sammael85 #37 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:41 AM

Major

• Players
  • 26140 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostFineEight53, on 16 March 2019 - 11:26 PM, said:

how do you mute the in game chat ? as i  have not heard any ingame chat going on for a  couple of months now and i am sure i haven't changed any settings, that i know of 

Go to the Sound options, put the last option at minimum (sometimes isn't even necessary due to the bad quality of the headsets the people use as they work like a binary implementation of on/off at certain tones and how pathetic is the sound implementation, lag isues related in this) and there you go.

Way more confortable than muting people one by one if you ask me ;)

pilotguy79 #38 Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:57 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 17696 battles
  • [LIP]

sometimes at High tiers 7-10 I still here from a guy grinding a tt tank. “Which way should we go”. I just think. This can’t be the first time you have seen this map. At tier 9 , you should have a pretty good idea of where your tank and your play style is best utilized.

i.e el halluf . Sniping in a type 4 from across the valley is not the next use for that tank. Where as that tank is probably better used in the corner near a1/2 b1/2 . I think that the corner. 

x_BAlN_x #39 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:17 AM

Major

• Players
  • 62296 battles

View PostDrivableBeast35, on 16 March 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Some guy the other night was talking to his Alexa during the game, seemingly oblivious that we could all hear him. He ordered a pizza with pineapple on it. Obviously, a total loser with no taste in good food.   :teethhappy:

I hope you team killed him.

scwirpeo #40 Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 41500 battles
  • [CRY]

Had two guys talking about the fake sun hidden behind our sun and the planet of aliens that live there who built the pyramids. The only science they had to back up their argument was 45° angles. They tried to make references to reverse orbit planets but lacked the understand that those are generally gas Giants with gravitational influence from another large planet. 

These people are why we can't get good teammates.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

Also tagged with WTF?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users