Console devs designing maps...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Jayytheg0d #1 Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:54 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4683 battles

Coming from PC WoT I can see the console devs have no idea how to properly build balanced maps. Too many maps, both original PC and console only maps have utterly terrible spawn locations for various modes. Assault on Heilbronn, team destruction and assault on Pilsen, assault on Malinovka, and Skorpion Pass etc.

Maps like Heilbronn assault STRONGLY ENCOURAGE town camping and leaving the defenders completely surrounded... not even light tanks who are meant to spot dare to venture out with the lack of support.

Skorpion Pass has way too many top tiers including heavies taking the long winded hill climb pretending to be swedish TDs.

Pilsen assault or team destruction is ridiculous when both teams spawn to the east and west creating a bland line vs line shootout... light tanks are literally useless in these modes for this map.

Malinovka assault again encourages way too much camping on the hill leaving the defenders with very little map control and being surrounded.

Coming from PC WoT with 4 years experience I can safely say the devs in Minsk actually know how to make fairly balanced maps with game modes that work for each map... they never create maps that encourage or influence players to take utterly stupid positions or forcibly corner the entire team to one area...

Seriously console devs need to learn how to properly balance maps, it feels like they're the same idiots from games like Far Cry where they build one sided user created maps just to troll the opposing team. Wake the f.ck up guys your map designers and game balancers are complete tools

matematicalone #2 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 2899 battles

I have to agree with every single point and I've never even played PC.

Jayytheg0d #3 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4683 battles

View Postmatematicalone, on 16 March 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

I have to agree with every single point and I've never even played PC.

It's atrocious... before I got onto console WoT I thought the Minsk devs were A LITTLE dumb with how they made certain maps. But since putting in 3k battles on console I can say for sure that console devs are leaps and bounds ahead of Minsk when it comes to extremely poorly designed maps....

matematicalone #4 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 2899 battles

View PostJayytheg0d, on 16 March 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

It's atrocious... before I got onto console WoT I thought the Minsk devs were A LITTLE dumb with how they made certain maps. But since putting in 3k battles on console I can say for sure that console devs are leaps and bounds ahead of Minsk when it comes to extremely poorly designed maps....

Don't forget console unique maps like Panama which is fine example of good map being ruined by adding a ton of solid obstacles and putting a south spawn on the other side of river bed full of rocks so in no way you can get to the brawling hill before north spawners arrive and start a campfire already.

Jayytheg0d #5 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:35 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4683 battles

I haven't played Panama enough or been on console long enough to have noticed the difference, but I can say that the extreme level of debris and obstacles they decided to dump everywhere on most maps is highly infuriating when you can't see more than 10m around your tank when driving in a different direction to where you're facing.

I remember being on PC and every Westfield game was a rush to the north west hill to win the battle... now on console most players scatter all over the map and die alone... being spawned in the bottom of the valley discourages most heavies to take that crucial area of the map to the north west

Blossomy_Hippo #6 Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7576 battles
  • [ALPI]

Have you played Amazon yet? Gotta love the random clutter and pipes blocking all possible sniper positions right?

I absolutely despise console map design with them not adding new (great) maps from pc, renaming the same maps over and over while only changing the time of day or weather, "redesigning" old maps and making them somehow worse or outright terrible and refusing to remove some of the worse modes/maps from rotation. 

Then again they didn't remove the Waffle "because it might be someone's favorite tank", never mind that it can clip 2 full health tier IX tanks while taking 2 or 3 return shots.

Same garbage with arty and td alpha damage.

I've given up and just accepted that they have no clue how to manage their own game.

*PS4 Stats*

Jayytheg0d #7 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4683 battles

View PostBlossomy_Hippo, on 16 March 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

Have you played Amazon yet? Gotta love the random clutter and pipes blocking all possible sniper positions right?

Jeez Amazon is just a disaster as well... instead of the pipes giving active scouts some cover to use they just block long range sniping targets... 

Nuke2099 #8 Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23694 battles
  • [KMD]
Console usually builds it's maps to cater to TD's and heavies. They absolutely hate lights and mediums. The only good console only maps happen to be desert maps. Kasarine and that other War Stories map. 
lQqtvt1.gif

Blossomy_Hippo #9 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7576 battles
  • [ALPI]

View PostNuke2099, on 16 March 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Console usually builds it's maps to cater to TD's and heavies. They absolutely hate lights and mediums. The only good console only maps happen to be desert maps. Kasarine and that other War Stories map. 

I've found that Berlin is actually better for medium tanks than it is for heavies and TDs, however nonsensical that sounds. That's mostly due to the fact that most of the city is unused by slower tanks as they to get into a slugfest either on the open field or the two straight alleyways in the west and as a result if you have a couple of fast mediums break through the centre and flank you can farm for days.

Ofc this is the exception because in general heavy tanks are favored in 80% of the maps.

*PS4 Stats*

HomicidalApple0 #10 Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2919 battles
Never played pc and only 1100 games myself but I can agree with what you’re sating hownthe spawns on those maps lead to the same paths over and over leaving one side almost helpless and surrounded.

I feel like the maps are good it just needs reworking on spawns which you wouldn’t think would be so hard go deal with

Jayytheg0d #11 Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 4683 battles
The fact that the console devs aren't even bothering to properly balance maps even with the mountains of data they collect for every battle, just shows how much they actually care about making a good enjoyable game. And knowing how the console devs marketing department have completely diluted and ruined the selection of premium tanks with OP [edited]... looking at you Absolution... it's obvious console WoT is just a cash cow

CivilWarGoat #12 Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24270 battles
  • [RED1]
Couldn't agree with OP more.  I would only add that the maps on console are way too small.  Which encourages players to camp  base like a boss

rick007cmx1 #13 Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58346 battles

View PostNuke2099, on 16 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Cater to heavily armored TDs, not stealthy or open top TDs.

Plum1973 #14 Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 464 battles

Minimapa

The "Crab" map for the supertesters

Maybe not everyone knew that such a map is in the game. this is a map designed for internal ST tests, where all toys from WoT are tested before they appear on random.

Such from the supertest. More interesting than a leak.

Well, for HD quality it's a lot missing. The code name of this map is "st_ballance_map" so I'm betting that it is most likely a special map for testing vehicles, which was once mentioned in Q & A - new models take on a specific "test drive" there, checking out the various factors of the game. An additional argument for this is the fact that as of now, any date for entering this location into the game is unknown.
Well, but the judgments of SerB are unexplored and one day this map may appear on WoT servers. Either way, what do you think about her?

Edited by Plum1973, 23 June 2019 - 10:00 AM.

Rookie again

KanderisBAE #15 Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30048 battles

View PostJayytheg0d, on 16 March 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

I haven't played Panama enough or been on console long enough to have noticed the difference, but I can say that the extreme level of debris and obstacles they decided to dump everywhere on most maps is highly infuriating when you can't see more than 10m around your tank when driving in a different direction to where you're facing.

I remember being on PC and every Westfield game was a rush to the north west hill to win the battle... now on console most players scatter all over the map and die alone... being spawned in the bottom of the valley discourages most heavies to take that crucial area of the map to the north west

you are totally right it drives me mad with all the friggin clutter everywhere  

rick007cmx1 #16 Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58346 battles

View PostNuke2099, on 16 March 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Cater to tier 10 TD's with lots of armor. They hate fast and stealthy TDs or open-top TDs as much as they hate scouts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users