Your Opinion on having a map preference option?

Maps Poll

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Preferential Map selection (92 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 50 battles in order to participate this poll.

Would you like a feature like this on the game?

1. Yes (47 votes [51.09%])

Percentage of vote: 51.09%

2. No (45 votes [48.91%])

Percentage of vote: 48.91%

Would a feature like this improve your Tanking/Arty experience?

1. Yes (47 votes [51.09%])

Percentage of vote: 51.09%

2. No (45 votes [48.91%])

Percentage of vote: 48.91%

Are you a Tank commander or Arty commander?

1. Tank (56 votes [60.87%])

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

2. Arty (1 vote [1.09%])

Percentage of vote: 1.09%

3. Both (35 votes [38.04%])

Percentage of vote: 38.04%

Vote Hide poll

combatdude819 #1 Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:49 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4202 battles
  • [UGRF]

Lets try to make this a HOT topic for all tankers. Lights, Mediums, Heavies, TD's  and Arty.

If Wargaming  gave You the option to select preferential maps of your play-style since as expected, you're bound to run into maps you love/hate playing depending on your class of tank.

So for Arty players out there that hates it when MM puts you into an urban map, you can use map preferences to keep you on wide open maps like Prokhorovka or other non urban maps.

For those who do prefer urban maps, you could select the Urban maps.

Or if you have a mix of urban and open maps you like regardless of tank class, select them.

I'm not really saying we should add this, but do you think a feature like this would improve MM in any way?

And no this is not some anti Arty post. I play Artillery here and there when I'm not tanking.

Tell me what you think.

Live The Real World, Do Not Live Politically Correct. If The Truth hurts, Deal With It. 

ThermalStone #2 Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:10 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29063 battles
  • [80085]

No, if players could always skip certain maps then the community would always be divided, and stats would become skewed. 

I also wouldn't trust the community with a veto or vote to skip option.  Most players are bad so they gravitate towards heavy tanks and town/cooridor maps which make it harder for good players to farm them for damage.  Prok and Malinovka would be constantly vetoed.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

FusionStar287 #3 Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:15 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19102 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostThermalStone, on 25 March 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

No, if players could always skip certain maps then the community would always be divided, and stats would become skewed. 

I also wouldn't trust the community with a veto or vote to skip option.  Most players are bad so they gravitate towards heavy tanks and town/cooridor maps which make it harder for good players to farm them for damage.  Prok and Malinovka would be constantly vetoed.

^This. Players shouldn't have any control on what map they get, as people would pretty much always try to get a map that better suits them and would further reduce the negatives of certain tanks/classes (imagine if arty was almost never on a city map and at the same time there were pretty much always three arty every time you play Prokhorovka, Malinovka, etc., for example).

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

RUNNINGDUDE1 #4 Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:18 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22694 battles
Eh, not a good idea in terms of how long it would take to load into maps via how many would be in the queue.

ThermalStone #5 Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29063 battles
  • [80085]

View PostRUNNINGDUDE1, on 25 March 2019 - 04:18 PM, said:

Eh, not a good idea in terms of how long it would take to load into maps via how many would be in the queue.

Yeah, this too.   Every time someone proposes sweeping matchmaking changes they forget how well it works at getting us into games fast.  I'll take the occasional bad map or fail platoon mismatch over a three minute wait time any day.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Akumahito #6 Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:39 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17842 battles
  • [R9838]
It'd be nice, but we don't have enough players in queue to make it doable. 

RAGNAR0K N ROLL #7 Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:53 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 18534 battles
How about instead of vetoable maps we have fewer corridor maps in general?

The Warrior of The Wasteland...The Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla....

Lone Wolfing since day 1

combatdude819 #8 Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:05 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4202 battles
  • [UGRF]

View PostRAGNAR0K N ROLL, on 25 March 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

How about instead of vetoable maps we have fewer corridor maps in general?

I don't mean map preference as in voting for a map, I mean having a screen with all the maps and selecting the maps based on your playstyle. For example, Call of Duty 2 had it, to where you will only see battles on specifically selected maps from what the player selected as their preference.

Live The Real World, Do Not Live Politically Correct. If The Truth hurts, Deal With It. 

TYLERT632 #9 Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:09 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 46928 battles
You play the map you get, you do the best you can with the tank you have and then you play another game. You play the cards you're dealt. Opting out of maps you don't like is not a good idea for anyone.

RUNNINGDUDE1 #10 Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:16 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox 360
  • 22694 battles

View Postcombatdude819, on 25 March 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

I don't mean map preference as in voting for a map, I mean having a screen with all the maps and selecting the maps based on your playstyle. For example, Call of Duty 2 had it, to where you will only see battles on specifically selected maps from what the player selected as their preference.

Except the problem is that no one else would be able to see what you chose since you didn't create a lobby like in COD. FPS features don't work in this game

mockney_piers #11 Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9085 battles
  • [FILTH]

It's the market innit.

If everyone opted out of certain maps then they would be uncompetitive, forcing WG to improve them or provide better products.
Simples :)

So many maps need chucking in a bin and having petrol poured on them or completely rethought, be nice if that rose up the priority list a bit, over introducing new tweaks to screwing up the posthumous view experience, which is apparently always number one on their feature list ;).

JelliedPenny08 #12 Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 13895 battles

View Postmockney_piers, on 26 March 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

It's the market innit.

If everyone opted out of certain maps then they would be uncompetitive, forcing WG to improve them or provide better products.
Simples :)

So many maps need chucking in a bin and having petrol poured on them or completely rethought, be nice if that rose up the priority list a bit, over introducing new tweaks to screwing up the posthumous view experience, which is apparently always number one on their feature list ;).

I agree with this, and if I thought it was a viable option that would be well implemented, then I would support it. 

I suspect that it could backfire tremendously though. Something along the lines of everyone now has to play Mines or Province regardless of tier. Because player feedback...

There is something to be said for playing the cards you are dealt. The same as letting MM deal with low queue numbers or PMMs and platoons etc in an efficient manner. I would like it if they reassessed the maps.independently of preference, but just on their own.merits or faults. One of the big ones for me is the Assault and Encounter variants with altered spawns and objectives that many players seem to struggle with. 

I don't have a problem with arty being in the game, even though I don't play it. Having a paper armour slow TD set up for stealth and getting repeated small urban maps is unfortunate and frustrating. If I had been in a brawling heavy though it would have been great. I suspect though that having the option to use maps suited to your tank class could also backfire due to the rigid view of classes and how many models buck their class trend. A T28HTC TD getting Himmelsdorf would be  great, a St Emil TD less so. 

Edit -  TLDR I voted yes, but.have reservations. If well implemented it could improve the player experience, but I suspect that would be at the expense of MM performance. I suspect that it would normally timeout in the same way as Ranked League matching and suspend the preferences to make the Mm work, which would just lengthen the queue times to allow the timeout to happen before putting you into the same battle anyway. 

Edited by JelliedPenny08, 26 March 2019 - 02:59 PM.

mockney_piers #13 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 9085 battles
  • [FILTH]

I by and large agree, not sure how practicable it would be.
Maybe they could trial it for a week and note down the results.

Part of the game is overcoming the challenge of maps that don't suit the tank you're in, that's fine. It's maps that make everyone unhappy that, like Withnail in a Penrith pub, want working on.

El Materdor43 #14 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30680 battles
  • [HACKS]

View PostThermalStone, on 25 March 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

While I agree with you to a point, I think having a choice is a good thing. Your point about bad players only wanting corridor maps could also be applied to good players wanting open maps, such as Prokh, Murovanka and Steppes. As a players who gets Prokh maybe once a week, I would love to veto Pilsen, Abbey, Berlin, Icebound, Amazon, Ardennes and Windstorm to name a few

El Materdor43 #15 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 30680 battles
  • [HACKS]
Additionally, there is a hidden benefit in a veto system. If WG is genuinely listening to the entire community, they could easily assimilate data to see which maps are preferred by the entire WOT base and adjust the rotation based on preferences. It would also aid in future map development to see what the player base likes and develop new map content accordingly. The data would come from both good and bad players. 

Pit Friend #16 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31470 battles
  • [PTATO]
Got to say no. It would be nothing but corridor maps for the Heavies as they’re usually the most common tank type.

I hope to one day be wealthy enough to be considered eccentric rather than just plain nuts.  

x_BAlN_x #17 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:21 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 52018 battles
Just let every player exempt three maps from their list.

Dat Chungus tho #18 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24299 battles
  • [-L7-]
take it a step further, make a "No Artillery" game mode so i can play malinovka/prokhorovka without wanting to kill myself. 

Cobravert #19 Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [WPLAC]

Back in my Halo and CoD days, match making we always were given the ability to pick from one of a couple maps. It was awesome because more it was a majority vote for whichever map, meaning you rarely ever had to play on maps that were unbalanced or generally disliked. It was one less detraction from the game, making it all the more enjoyable overall.

I do not believe for a second that it would have any negative impact on this game either.

So what if some maps are more or less avoided? It should send a message to the map makers of what type of maps people want to play on.

Community division?

That's a red herring.

There will NEVER be an overall unified community on ANYTHING, EVER.

Kaizer Billy #20 Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8099 battles
  • [CNUT]

View PostCobravert, on 26 March 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Back in my Halo and CoD days, match making we always were given the ability to pick from one of a couple maps. It was awesome because more it was a majority vote for whichever map, meaning you rarely ever had to play on maps that were unbalanced or generally disliked. It was one less detraction from the game, making it all the more enjoyable overall.

I do not believe for a second that it would have any negative impact on this game either.

So what if some maps are more or less avoided? It should send a message to the map makers of what type of maps people want to play on.

Community division?

That's a red herring.

There will NEVER be an overall unified community on ANYTHING, EVER.

I'm sure they still have lobby voting systems now which would work perfectly, once all 15 tankers have been match made you can vote from a choice of a few maps, simple.

1st MoE's: Obj 430 II ~ Type 59 (RIP) ~ AMX 13 75 ~ M6 ~ T29 ~ Pz.IV H ~ Tiger II ~ E75 ~ AT7 ~ Lycan ~Pz. V/IV ~ T37 ~ M41 Bulldog ~ IS ~ Batchat AP

2nd MoE's: Pz IV H

Derp tanks are love, Derp tanks are life

Also tagged with Maps, Poll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users