• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

test777777 #161 Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostSirlceCream, on 29 March 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

@test: To be honest, you are not a good player (which is ok) and if you think premium ammo would make you better you are wrong.

The benefit you get out of premium consumables like food is non existentfor players like you in comparison to the knowlege of gamebasics like mapawareness, trade shoots, aiming, safe HP and so on.

In my opinion it has nothing to do with statshaming. And when you say you dont want to use Premium(ammo,consumables) because you dont "want to make your tank offensively OP" it is just laughable.

Your second most played tank is the tiger 131. This tank is the most OP and broken tank in the entire game. Even without any equipment it is clearly better than all tier 7 tanks. However you dont do well in it and you are not able to carry any games in it with 47% winrate. 

its nothing personal and if you dont want to use it i am perfectly fine and i have to agree with you that premiumammo is kind of broken when it comes to armor of type 5 heavy for example. But the game is balanced around premium ammo in higher tiers and there is nothing we can do about it.

This isn’t intended to be about me specifically but it does highlight another aspect of relating stats. The context in which they come  about. I didn’t create this topic because I feel I’m heaps better than what my stats say or to complain and say it’s all pay to win and I can’t pay to win. It was designed to highlight that there is a pay 2 win components and many top end performances show people paying out silver to get there. Yet the community seems to deny it. Lots of other things discussed such as impact on game experience, who benefits statistically the most, battle balance and how WN8 component scales and how that scaling is not linear but very much hurts it’s it’s purpose of being a relatable measure of skill. 

I know I’m not a good player which as you mention is ok. I perform above average in some vehicles and below average in others. That isn’t the same as a bad player and it’s an important distinction. My results have been inconsistent but good enough to have 70+% damage standing in several vehicles, mark several others and produce a few great performances. Given my internet handicap and eyesight it’s acceptable to me and has me feel like I’m contributing it’s fun enough which is ultimately what makes it ok.

Stats need to be looked at in context. Straight away you categorise my knowledge of game basics to be the cause of my unusual patterns of performance. I’d suggest some of it is that, I struggle with retention of map knowledge, it’s weird. Many maps feel the same terrain wise to me. I really struggle to see different heights in the aerial photo view- I’d so prefer topographical map. I also struggle with the scale. There are a few very distinct landmarks which help me get my bearings on most but when it comes to understanding superior  lines of sight and matching gun depression with Appropriate slopes I do struggle, most of it like oks the same. Awareness of what’s going on around me and not becoming overly tunnel visioned, I think I’m ok in that department. Knowledge of tank capability, I’m ok for most of my played in tiers. My eyesight which shouldn’t impact that much because medically my eyes should be fine but I struggle to make out the details so has me relying reading tank names more than seeing differences in physical appearance a lot and i’m Poor at tier IX and up, Chinese tanks which all seem to be WZ11 something’s. And tier  III down. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to successfully use arty, I  know the theory, from seeing what successful arty players do in my replays and I completed the WS just fine but I’m always swarmed by lights when I try and play multiplayer  More so in sexton 1us. Arty doesn’t ruin my battles either. 

To my internet connection and impact.

My internet connection not only drops out causing  0 damage battles several times a week, it adds Between 1/3 and 3/4 a second delay during the battle that I play which makes for difficulty in timing specially precise or fast maneuvres, I need to wait half a second to a second before my control change is noted. Everything from starting, stopping, spotting, firing has delays. I need to guess a lot, it’s especially bad when trying to hit fast moving vehicles or move around the corner and shoot before pulling back when red isn’t aware of me and looking the other way because although I’ll fire after I release the throttle, I still miss. Despite my target in my sights when it’s stationary and I’m basically. Point blank, the shot will go off 1/2 a second later about a quarter of a second after it stopped moving and the xtra quarter second of movement produced a slight terrain rise and has my gun pointing completely off target when it fires. 

Other scenario, I’ll see someone moving to my rear and try and cover up and ge my gun pointed in the right direction to take him out but if I’m a 1 shot away, I can never get my shot off prior to them even when they need to move far enough to get their gun pointing at me and their hull is exposed to my gun before my tank is exposed to theirs.  It’s not game knowledge here. I can’t make use of the positional advantage due to latency. This has a statistical impact n performance and it’s a handicap which is not typically found in others stats to the same degree. It may look like I wasn’t aware enough to see them coming statistically but it’s not the reason.  Nor is it something I can do much about without shifting the household. Overall I hit more than 62 percent and pen about 63 percent of what I hit.  I need t improve on both of those. My best tier VII performer recently hits over 70 percent and pens around 68%. It’s OP in my mind due to its armour and PMM. I’m talking of course about the Potato PunisherBanana Buster.

if we delve back into a good portion of my battles

There was also population problems present in my historical stats and that’s relatively unique to me and Not so much of a problem these days. We all know how the MM deals with unusually low population and not in a very fair way.

Due to my Timezone Prior to server merge, many battles were half size affairs and the match MM was awful due to numbers. Grnds were beginning to get very expensive and never top tier. I had severely limited opportunities to do much of anything . So I tried to play PMM to soften the blow. I had mixed success and the harshness of the MM lmiting my opportunities to participate in battles had me so fed up, I spent time laying single player content for 3 or 4 months.

You bring up my tiger 131 performance. I’ve mostly preferred the performance of the Tiger 1 over the Tiger 131 and most definitely when top and middle tier.   I’ve been more accurate with it and my piercing ratio is higher despite facing tier IX and having had to grind it from stock. My high end performances have been better in the Tiger 1 too. My average damage is lower due to lower rate of fire on Tiger 1 and needing to grind from stock and being wiped out by tier IX. Whatever it is that makes the Tiger 131 OP and I suspect it’s the increased pen of premium ammo when facing tier VIII and they bully me but it may just be other players consistantly see tier 5 and 6 more than I DID/do. With the tigers I do struggle with space and technique to properly sidscrape without hindering others and not sure I’ve got the hang of it even when I do. I get penned. I never do particularly well in most OP tanks.  Rampanzer, Absolution(after earn op)131, sexton 1 US, bogytyr, Churchill III, STA2, Lycan, king dragon, e25, hidden, None of them are my best performers of their tier. Whatever the OP factor is and I don’t deny they might be, it isn’t working for me nor might I add does it seem to work for those I come up against except maybe the Minuteman. I struggle to pen it in any consistent way through aiming. 

At the end of the day, my contribution is still average overall but there are factors which you likely did not consider when you judged reasons why.

I’ve never said that I don’t use premium because I don’t want to make my tank offensively OP at least I hope I didn’t. I almost did when I bounced 14/15 shots before dying against a couple of aggressive king dragons in a mid tier tiger p but I think RNG was partly to blame. I also have tried to impress that it’s my choice and not a moral high ground stance. The reason why I don’t use it is because I don’t see a practical benefit to me which would bring about more fun. I think my pen ratio might increase from 63% and my numbers might go up but it wouldn’t change much except my silver coffers for the worse and exacerbate my understanding of the relative magnitude of the  components which go into my statistical performance. Both of those things would lower my enjoyment. If I was a better player then I probably would make my tank OP.

My silver earnings potential is limited by my damage output potential and bolstered by me using premium tanks. I’m very p2w when it comes to silver earnings.  I’d rather spend silver on other things like equipping the 10 or so other tier VII and VIII premium tanks  that aren’t played yet in my garage and new premiums, not yet acquired or maybe unlocking a couple more TT tanks. Now I also have stockpiles of premium consumables  which isn’t going to cost me anything but i’m concerned it might and I really can’t be bothered micro managing and maybe being burnt by gold being consumed. 

I get that premium isnt isn’t going away, this topic isn’t intended to convince people to do that. 

Lots of long winded ways of saying pretty simple things when I post, often with confusing autocorrected words which make sentences extra difficult to read. It’s a topic which is sensitive and smells like sour grapes when someone with stats like mine brings stuff like this up. Respect to those who pushed through and took the time to consider/respond sincerely. 

@M4NTix sorry if my take re the clueless green bean comment gave you cause to take offense. It was never my intent.   Your response to my take on it felt to me like an emotionally charged retort instead of the intelligent insight that I’ve grown to respect and expect from your end. 

Playing it safe

test777777 #162 Posted 29 March 2019 - 08:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostM4ntiX, on 29 March 2019 - 05:34 PM, said:

Also don't forget the better RNG you get with a Premium account.

I hear active forumers get a permanent boost to camo values as well. It makes sense considering how hard it is to spot them in game.

These are great ideas for a best tin foil hat theories topic.  In a long wordy 4am style that only I can make sense of, here’s one that may not have been heard of before.

What I’m about to tell you will probably be deleted but some of you will have read it and will gain.

theres an RNG stacking trick/cheat.

If you watch really good players replays on YouTube  you will gain a clue as to what gives them the Stats that they have. Hint look at the colour of the red team...not exactly red right? 

As you probably know, the results of battles are rigged and it’s mainly RNG and dodgy matchmaking doesn’t help but what you probably didn’t know is that you, like the unicums you see on YouTube, can steal the RNG advantage.

What WG won’t tell you is that RNG is rigged or rigged in a stupid way and that is to provide advantage to the team colour with the longest wavelength in visible light spectrum.   Think colours of the rainbow. Red colourswavelength is the longest and always better than than green which sits in the middle so, green team suffers RNG and loses far more than it should. That’s why reds do extra well most times, shots from your gun miss or bounce or go through but don’t damage and why green teams tend to suck they force you to be green every time.. They don’t make it too obvious and sometimes the green team are just too skilled so overcome the odds but that’s hardly fair. It’s how they encourage players to buy premium overpriced stuff.

Anyway, you’re not going to fall into their trap.

The super uni community  figured out a way to reverse the odds and it’s super simple, I kid you not theres this thing you can do to reverse the RNG disadvantage which only works if the entire team does it and it totally nerfs the reds by adding blue.  I can’t stress enough how it has to be the entire team but it’s really simple. . Yep it’s as simple as turning colour blind mode on and making red have the shorter wavelength, it makes them purple which is about as short as it gets and totally nerfs them. 

Playing it safe

BrettSterlingH #163 Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:25 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 55135 battles
  • [OM]
Define "high achievement"? 
I don't think stat shaming is ever smart, or helpful, or impressive. 

There's pretty much nothing you can't do in a Tech Tree tank that you can do in a Prem. 
Get a platoon going?

P.S... Prem. Rounds actually have nerfed accuracy / avg. alpha... 

LifeTilts #164 Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40565 battles

View PostRubbelito, on 29 March 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Using available means legitimately is not cheating. Period.

Nothing unfair about it if everybody has access to it.

Any other "difficult" words you want me to help you with?

Cheating is the receiving of a reward for ability or finding an easy way out of an unpleasant situation by dishonest means.

1. "Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage"

The whole argument is that everyone can't afford them equally. Just because WG has decided to make a profit from this general desire gamers have to not play fair doesn't make premium rounds and their use OK. 

Thanks but if I feel like I need help I'd rather ask for it from someone who comes from a place with a proper education system, tyvm. 

My Twitch Channel Solo gameplay, Tank requests (300+ tanks), No premium spam.

LifeTilts #165 Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 40565 battles

View Posttest777777, on 29 March 2019 - 11:39 AM, said: 

I'd personally just like to see what sort of performance good players would have had using a tank which isn't decked out with max crews ,food, premium ammo, premium consumables so I can relate to the performance better. 

I'm a no skill arty player but 40k+ games, no premium rounds or consumables used, all solo.

SirlceCream #166 Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16873 battles

View PostLifeTilts, on 30 March 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm a no skill arty player but 40k+ games, no premium rounds or consumables used, all solo.

i guess you have a premiumaccount and use equipment on your tank?

So you get an unfairly advantage over other player.  because not everyone can afford that.

Dirty cheater :trollface:

3MoE: 67

LifeTilts #167 Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 40565 battles

View PostSirlceCream, on 30 March 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

i guess you have a premiumaccount and use equipment on your tank?

So you get an unfairly advantage over other player.  because not everyone can afford that.

Dirty cheater :trollface:

Once I got past tier 5 I could afford equipment on my tanks without a premium account. Equipment is a one time purchase you don't pay per use, same with upgrades. Any player that chooses to doesn't have to play without equipment after a 100 games or so. I'm all for making equipment affordable at low tiers, then maybe seal clubbing wouldn't be as prevalent and perhaps less players would have quit before making it past tier three. 

Rubbelito #168 Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 22162 battles
  • [TNT]

View PostLifeTilts, on 30 March 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

The whole argument is that everyone can't afford them equally. Just because WG has decided to make a profit from this general desire gamers have to not play fair doesn't make premium rounds and their use OK. 

Thanks but if I feel like I need help I'd rather ask for it from someone who comes from a place with a proper education system, tyvm. 

Sounds like you could use one of those educational systems you speak of. 

test777777 #169 Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostLifeTilts, on 30 March 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

For me it’s only unfair if stats are compared like for like as a direct measure of skill or intellect and people aren’t buying exceptional performances. Just because the feel that’s the only way they can get there. The fact that I consider premium bad for the game is mostly to do with the balance of armour/mobility/firepower and it overwhelmingly shifts the balance in favour of firepower and armour is made next to useless. It’s also to do with team balance. It makes good players look better if they use it and as a result average players look worse even if they too use it. 

Playing it safe

test777777 #170 Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostBrettSterlingH, on 30 March 2019 - 06:25 AM, said:

Define "high achievement"? 
I don't think stat shaming is ever smart, or helpful, or impressive. 

There's pretty much nothing you can't do in a Tech Tree tank that you can do in a Prem. 
Get a platoon going?

P.S... Prem. Rounds actually have nerfed accuracy / avg. alpha... 

high achievements are those ones with lots of medals and damage which should always net good silver. If negative, someone’s buying performance.

Playing it safe

tanair #171 Posted 31 March 2019 - 02:27 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11366 battles
  • [NWO]

View Postpanthermark, on 27 March 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

There is some P2W aspect of this game.  You are lying if you deny that. 

Premium consumables for example.  

Now, they can be purchased with silver, but it is easier to maintain a larger silver supply with premium time, and/or with using premium vehicles.   Same with using prammo. 

Also, you gain experience faster with premium time, thus your crew gains skills faster. 

You can play this completely free and still "win', but it is much harder and slower for the AVERAGE player.  

This!

We shouldn't think black and white: p2w or not p2w, but how many p2w aspects are there. 

Crew-XP booster, Premium ammo and consumables do give you an advantage over other players. 

An average player can simply not afford to spam around premium ammo and use premium consumables all the time without having premium time / tanks. 

Investing money in this game will not turn a bad player into a unicum, but it will give you an advantage. 

Although, I think WG did a lot of things to decrease p2w aspects. Nowadays, you can win Premium tanks, premium time, credits and even gold with OPs. 

An example for a f2p game which is definitely not p2w is Apex Legends, where you can only purchase cosmetics, which will not give you any advantage in the game. 

An example for a game, which is using hard pay-to-win mechanics is FIFA or PES (Pro Evolution Soccer) with Ultimate Team / My Club. You can invest money to get the best players, e.g. Rolando, Messi, Suarez. 

Now, even if you invest money and buy an "ultimate team" with the best players, you will probably get smashed really hard if you are bad. 

Does this mean that the game is not p2w?  

Edited by tanair, 31 March 2019 - 02:52 PM.

XBOX ONE

ThermalStone #172 Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29566 battles
  • [80085]

View PostSTUART SHERMAN, on 29 March 2019 - 04:24 AM, said:

While I agree with your premise I’d say that in general the top ranked players not only shoot more, but have a higher hit percentage as well. Checking Hall of Fame stat page, about 3/4 of the top 100 players have a 75% or better hit ratio, and seems to trend downward as you go down the list. You however, are an exception to that rule, and gives me something to think about. 

:honoring:

The top 100 players aren't a great standard to measure against.  That's a level of play beyond even unicum, the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent.  Consider that many of those guys are rerolls or former PC players, so their stats don't reflect their growth and learning curve or experimentation with low tier tanks or arty.  Also, hit percentage isn't the same as penetration percent.

Take my advice as someone who has done it:  as a green player, you already know everything you need to shoot as well as a purple player.  Work instead on firing more shots per game by making strong opening moves to good spots to score free early damage and surviving until endgame, shooting constantly the whole game.  It's map knowledge, situational awareness, and aggressive play tempered with strong self preservation skills.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

test777777 #173 Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:42 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostThermalStone, on 01 April 2019 - 01:43 AM, said:

Take my advice as someone who has done it:  as a green player, you already know everything you need to shoot as well as a purple player.  Work instead on firing more shots per game by making strong opening moves to good spots to score free early damage and surviving until endgame, shooting constantly the whole game.  It's map knowledge, situational awareness, and aggressive play tempered with strong self preservation skills.  

This sounds like it's a case of Mobility/agility/turret traverse and high rate of fire/DPS trumping Armour and Alpha. It's burst shock and awe, and confusing suppression combined with guerilla warfare, Hit them hard and fast when they least expect it and make them pause, distract them from where they were going. Then disappear/duck for cover or run circles around them before they or their team mate can counter. 

The balance tends to fall in favour of lighter agile vehicles which can do that and it's a seriously effective way of disrupting the reds momentum and cause most of them to change tact. Having 3/4 of the reds stop and immediately change focus to you and putting them on the defensive while they are out of position early in game, having them waste their shots while lighting them up and forcing their mobile tanks your way while  the rest of the greens are working their way provides situational awareness and time for the greens to position more effectively. 

I personally believe that strategy employed by a skillful player can be the key difference between a team who loses and a team which is Victorious. 

As a side note regarding the balance issues I have concerns about and this also ties in to pay to win.

I don't  believe, that heavily armoured tanks should be as easily damaged by a light tank directly.  There shouldn't be an ability for a light tank to bully and dominate through direct fire unless shooting weakly armoured tanks or weak spots at the rear or side of heavily armoured tanks.  DPS in light tanks is simply way too high with the context of premium rounds in the picture. Heavily armoured vehicles should be able to bounce most shots from light vehicles of the same tier and premium rounds shouldn't be able to provide 70% more pen than standard rounds like they do in the T50-2 so that DPS is maximised.  There's no place where 189 pen on a light tank at tier VI is balanced when one looks at the strongest armours of the vehicles it might face and light tanks shouldn't be capable of assaulting directly. Then there's the AMX Chaffee - what's that 200+ pen? Ridiculous amount of pen, totally changes what it's capable of. 

Snakebite is far better balanced.in my opinion. 91 pen is low as it should be but still should be able to  pen a lot of vehicles from the sides or behind and track/spot. . 144 pen is more than enough at tier VI in such a mobile platform even when facing tier VIII.   

When it comes to shooting more being a primary contributor to getting gud,  I would have thought it comes by default of being around longer and being in the action for longer. Those who spend more time in the thick of it for longer by default will shoot more than those who don't. It's not that firing more makes them better players, it's the ability of being better and surviving longer which allows them to be exposed to more to be able to shoot more.  One might suggest that premium ammo usage is also aligned. Not just shooting and hitting but penning as you have mentioned.  

Regarding the top 100 players.....Not sure if Ghost of Gera qualifies, but crikey that dude can't be human. 

Edited by test777777, 01 April 2019 - 08:49 AM.

Playing it safe

M4ntiX #174 Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25167 battles
^ ... no, it just means "shoot more." Simple as that. Don't hide in a corner or behind you allies, be active and keep that gun singing as much as possible regardless of vehicle class.

Do whatever you can to literally shoot more. That's it. It will increase you damage output and overall battle performance.

Warthog II #175 Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 41306 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostFusionStar287, on 26 March 2019 - 06:35 AM, said:

I wonder how much of a difference pay-2-win items (premium consumables, gold ammo, etc.) actually have on a player's stats. I mean, obviously if two equally skilled players played the same tank over and over again with one firing only standard ammo and the other firing nothing but premium ammo the second player would end up with better stats, 

Some tanks, the prem is more often better.

TDs with HEAT and tanks that have APCR w/HEAT prem and plus a rare few like the T100 are better with standard.

A free to play player going up  X amount of tank lines is better off than a "pay to win" player going up 2X amount of tank lines.

I'll partially agree with the OP

WoT is play to get an advantage.  Pay to usually save time.

Some people claim Ensk should be tier restricted.   I don't believe their lies. 

Imagine if this forum had only players who actually win more than lose trying to tell others how to play. Would be the best forum ever. Instead, we have a bunch of bad advice from players who lose more often than not trying to tell their betters how to play their tanks.

test777777 #176 Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostM4ntiX, on 01 April 2019 - 04:52 PM, said:

^ ... no, it just means "shoot more." Simple as that. Don't hide in a corner or behind you allies, be active and keep that gun singing as much as possible regardless of vehicle class.

Do whatever you can to literally shoot more. That's it. It will increase you damage output and overall battle performance.

Blind shooting in my Tog 2 or any other slow heavy seems pointless. I don’t understand how cycling the gun on semi automatic would help. I’d rather just shoot at reds when I can gain line of sight on them if I’m lucky enough to and the faster more mobile vehicles don’t kill them all first. I’ve had a few battles where I’ve pressed forward from the get go and never managed to get a red in my sights before they’ve been killed. I don’t understand how shooting more would help. Mobility provides access to more stuff to shoot at. 

Playing it safe

Tempest fox3 #177 Posted 01 April 2019 - 03:56 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 19417 battles
  • [JOCO]

View Postpanthermark, on 27 March 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

There is some P2W aspect of this game.  You are lying if you deny that. 

I've never denied it, I simply disagree that it's related to premium ammo / premium time. 

Premium time shortens grinds

Premium ammo is available to everyone for silver. 

There have been so many free premium tanks and silver earn ops in the last 18-24 months that if you're still having issues with low silver it's entirely on you.

The only source of the pay to win element in this game comes from a small percentage of premium tanks that are too strong for the tier they're placed in. Things like the V/IV, Tiger 131, Minuteman and so on. 

War is a Democracy and the enemy always gets a vote.

3 MoE's: E-25, M41 Walker Bulldog, E-50, Snakebite, E-75, T32 - In order obtained

test777777 #178 Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11108 battles
  • [RSMOJ]

View PostTempest fox3, on 01 April 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

I've never denied it, I simply disagree that it's related to premium ammo / premium time. 

Premium time shortens grinds

Premium ammo is available to everyone for silver. 

There have been so many free premium tanks and silver earn ops in the last 18-24 months that if you're still having issues with low silver it's entirely on you.

The only source of the pay to win element in this game comes from a small percentage of premium tanks that are too strong for the tier they're placed in. Things like the V/IV, Tiger 131, Minuteman and so on. 

I started this topic because I'd noticed lots of high achievements being flaunted which would have been -ve silver if the player was free to play and comments about cost of 3 marking a tank and frustration it creates with the cost of consumables. This all clearly shows pay to win which really for good players shouldn't be necessary and as some have rightly pointed out it isn't a universal thing, they have had success with 3 marking with significant silver return.  I still maintain it's quite prevalent .The community in general seems opposed to pay to win. Yet seems to drive it. Except it's not really pay to win or is it?

Part of the discussion is whether something can be pay to win when it's paid for with in game currency. I suggest it can be if a segment of the population is able to make their tanks OP more often because they have a higher silver earn rate and the rest of the population who'd like to, can't afford the silver. It might be argued that if it's only the top players vying for 3 marks then it shouldn't impact those who aren't good enough to afford it and that is correct when it comes to 3 marking except when one considers the statistical impact of better players performing even better because of added enhancements. It makes the stats less relatable. It multiplies.WN8 values due to the way WN8 scales and has the reverse impact on the player who is average by forcing them to fail to a greater degree. Then the community uses those stats s to determine skill, knowledge, intelligence and a whole host of other things.  If one wants balanced teams, enhancing the performance of the best players on the team relative to the worst or average players is moving further from balanced play. .

A non OP  tank with premium everything and a really good crew is   more OP than a tiger 131 without that stuff and add a skilled player to control it and the tiger 131 is hopelessly inferior.  Except when it comes to silver earning potential. 

There's lots of other concerns that I have about how the meta is impacted by the paid in silver enhancements allowing those who can afford the silver to enter battles with their tanks statistically more OP more often.  That screws with the WN8 values which people do use to compare skill but more importantly it screws with battle balance and the gap between the potential of the best tank and potential of the worst tank found in battles.  

So called OP tanks are only considered OP because statistically, they might perform better than their tiers on average but if one is trying to ace them or mark them, they are extra silver expensive I would think relative to their peers because there are quite a few people out there trying to leverage their OPness with enhancements.  

Playing it safe

Also tagged with pay to win, skill, ace, moe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users