Vanguard - ELC - Review / Feed-back / details / equipment / what not...

Vanguard ELC light

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

RangerCharlie75 #21 Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17552 battles
  • [USAV]

Decided to get the base model last night. Had a lot of giggles with it, all Tier 10 games.

Last game I was the last green alive with 6 reds on my tails. I zigged and zagged and laughed so hard as they failed to hit me in my run across the whole map to take out their arty before I was nailed. 

Samtrooper429 #22 Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16927 battles
  • [PRTN]
It is an amazing tank..
Posted Image

Samtrooper429 #23 Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 16927 battles
  • [PRTN]
http://wotinfo.net/e...2/signature.png

P6X330 #24 Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15920 battles
  • [AMXS]
vacant.

Edited by P6X330, 01 May 2019 - 08:18 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

AJH387 #25 Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15884 battles
  • [HLCAT]

I got it the other night. Only played like 3 battles in it (I've been busy). Seems fun. Of course 2 of the 3 matches I was on a team that instantly melted, plus was 1 of the many glorious city maps in the game, anymore :sceptic:

I am going to play it a bit this weekend and try to figure out how to play it. It's fun but I feel like it could also be frustrating. I quickly found out that I can't be aggressive like I do in the Rover. 

donny007-THX #26 Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22905 battles

Semi Necro alert - Do not see need for a new thread.

I am going to start playing Vanguard and was just looking at its vision.  Was thinking of a few options to run:

1.  Camo net, Binocs and Vstab

2.  Vstab, Vents and Optics

Camo is very good so that calls the camo net into question.  Is it necessary or useful at this point?       If running Optics instead of Binocs the Vents will bump the vision a little to compensate but total vision will be at a disadvantage...   

My initial thought is run 2.  Mostly due to the fact true passive scouting is something I find tough to do well.  Secondly the Camo factor is good enough a loss of some vision is not that bad.

BTW I don't run camo net on my other lights.....

What has worked for Vanguard owners so far?

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

donny007-THX #27 Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22905 battles
Only had time to run one game in it with Vstab, Vents and Binocs on Siggy Line.  Had about 3,700 assist by working the infield area around the cement pill boxes.  It was kind of hard to sit still long enough to take advantage of the binocs tho.  May just switch to optics and not worry about that extra vision.  TBD
When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

P6X330 #28 Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15920 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postdonny007-THX, on 31 May 2019 - 01:01 PM, said:

Semi Necro alert - Do not see need for a new thread.

I am going to start playing Vanguard and was just looking at its vision.  Was thinking of a few options to run:

1.  Camo net, Binocs and Vstab

2.  Vstab, Vents and Optics

Camo is very good so that calls the camo net into question.  Is it necessary or useful at this point?       If running Optics instead of Binocs the Vents will bump the vision a little to compensate but total vision will be at a disadvantage...   

My initial thought is run 2.  Mostly due to the fact true passive scouting is something I find tough to do well.  Secondly the Camo factor is good enough a loss of some vision is not that bad.

BTW I don't run camo net on my other lights.....

What has worked for Vanguard owners so far?

I would not use anything "passive" on a tank that small and that fast...

You went with the right combination of equipment with option 2.

The only tank I run camo on is the AMX Chaffee, but there is rationale behind it. I will post a video of why later on. I need to upload it to YT first.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

P6X330 #29 Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15920 battles
  • [AMXS]

So, as promised, here are two videos of battles with the AMX Chaffee finishing top in the leaderboard on victory.

Towards the end of the battle on Murovanka, I am able to creep on the Black Prince while staying out of detection. I would have most likely been able to eliminate it if given the time.

On Live Oaks, I made a mistake because I had not expected the artillery would have been able to backup faster than me advancing. I made a bad call by simply not staying outside of his detection range. With only 5 hit points left, I was too vulnerable.

Bear in mind, these two games are played the same day, June 1st, and my crew only has Brothers in Arms trained.

donny007-THX #30 Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22905 battles

Thanks for posting videos.  One thing not clear to me is that you use camo net on Chaffee.  From what I saw in the first video you were pretty mobile.  And the stalking on the BP the camo net was not engaged.  I am not sure if you are advocating its use and this was a demonstration of that or not.  

I do think if the game was not capped out you would have taken the BP out.  Just needed a little more time to work him.

For now I am going to mess around with Vstab, Vents and Binocs.  The crew has both of the vision skills (a 11 skill crew) so when moving vision is not bad.  When parked for 3 seconds it gets pretty long reach.  Its more of an experiment as this tank is unique in several ways so my standard load out of Vstab, Vents and Optics is a little TBD. 

Funktastic Ed #31 Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

I like E.T.

Funny tank to play, gun more powerfull than expected, and very easy to hide.

Only problem i have is that nonsense reload time, only 5.13 shotper minutes is pretty poor.

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

TransparentBlue #32 Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:09 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles
Best little pay to win tank that money can buy...

Funktastic Ed #33 Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

Now that i have played some games i give you my feeling.

Overall i would not recommand buying it in its present state.

I like this tank but there's only one thing it is good at, and it is passive scouting.

Pros:

+ Super stealthy

+ Good top speed

+ low and tiny profile making it hard to hit at long range.

Cons:

- Bad gun handling.

- Accurracy on the move is atrocious.

- Absurdly long reload time.

- Lack of agility wich is nonsense in regard of its weight.

So this is not a fighter at all, you barely can defend yourself if attacked, you have only three chances to hit, not causing much damage, and with a great chance that your shoots misses the target if your opponent engage you in a dog fight.

If you don't mind staying far from danger, and play tactically it is a good tank.

Else it is bad, really bad.

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 07 September 2019 - 01:15 PM.

wake_the_move #34 Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:43 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10115 battles

Actually the Vanguard/ELC Even 90 is ideal for passive scouting, since it fits into any bush. Even better just switch between passive and active scouting. The Vanguard/ELC Even 90 can do both roles with ease.

I use vert stab, camo net and binos.

steelheadclan #35 Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 15385 battles
  • [REAL]

I just bought it because it was on sale. 

Played a few games on commander. 

Its a tiny troll machine!

I think I’m gonna enjoy playing it. 

Pen is weak but camo is insane. 

Funktastic Ed #36 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

View Poststeelheadclan, on 11 September 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

I just bought it because it was on sale. 

Played a few games on commander. 

Its a tiny troll machine!

I think I’m gonna enjoy playing it. 

Pen is weak but camo is insane. 

Needs a serious accuracy buff, penetration is not the biggest issue here.

And i Don't really see how this tank is better than a Lycan, or an AMX Chaffee or an AMX 13 75, really the Vanguard could be a tier VII without being that OP.

You will find it way less fun to play when you'll find yourself the last man standing against tier X reds where even some heavies can chase you and ctch up to you yes they can because this tank is slowed by any hill and anything it touches, even weak wooden fences…

And if you hope to hit them  while Moving, well all your three poor shots goes to flowers and clouds…

Oh and  don't even think about shooting stealthy, anytime you shoot your tank is detected even with silenced shot perk.

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 12 September 2019 - 07:38 PM.

TransparentBlue #37 Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles

View PostFunktastic Ed, on 12 September 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

Needs a serious accuracy buff, penetration is not the biggest issue here.

And i Don't really see how this tank is better than a Lycan, or an AMX Chaffee or an AMX 13 75, really the Vanguard could be a tier VII without being that OP.

You will find it way less fun to play when you'll find yourself the last man standing against tier X reds where even some heavies can chase you and ctch up to you yes they can because this tank is slowed by any hill and anything it touches, even weak wooden fences…

And if you hope to hit them  while Moving, well all your three poor shots goes to flowers and clouds…

Oh and  don't even think about shooting stealthy, anytime you shoot your tank is detected even with silenced shot perk.

If you think it needs more accuracy, you're doing it wrong.  I suspect you're occasionally stopping to unload the clip. 

It's a drive-by assassin.  You need to be close enough that accuracy doesn't matter, and going fast enough that your small size makes it unlikely you'll be punished for the hit.

If you're last man standing among multiple reds and expecting to carry, your expectations are wrong.  Hope it works for you, but the realistic expectation that you should and will fail is what makes it an epic game when you don't and end up carrying the match.

Funktastic Ed #38 Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

View PostTransparentBlue, on 12 September 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

If you think it needs more accuracy, you're doing it wrong.  I suspect you're occasionally stopping to unload the clip. 

It's a drive-by assassin.  You need to be close enough that accuracy doesn't matter, and going fast enough that your small size makes it unlikely you'll be punished for the hit.

If you're last man standing among multiple reds and expecting to carry, your expectations are wrong.  Hope it works for you, but the realistic expectation that you should and will fail is what makes it an epic game when you don't and end up carrying the match.

Sorry man, but even with drive by perk and V-Stab your average moving accuracy is the worst in the whole light tank category… and by far.

Your average moving accuracy is around 4m spread (hell yeah it is atrocious!)  average accuracy of most counterparts is around 2m spread….

Then there is Aiming time wich can never get better than 2.50 on the ELC Even.

Bad aiming time + worst moving accuracy ever = one of the worst drive by assassin !

Facts.

This is why i just decided to unequip V-Stab and changed the way i play this thing.

Of course you can ambush and attack ennemies while Moving, but the only way to achieve that is to get super close to targets, and when i say close i mean less than 10 yards/meters...every tank in the world is a master drive by assassin at this range.

And you have to be very carefull wich target you attack, because a lot of tanks have more traverse speed, agility and ground resistance than the ELC Even making them far superior in a dog fight.

If you tell me that you succed at being a crazy effective drive by assassin with it, there is three secnarios i can think of:

1- you just lie, for no good reason, except glorify yourself, or you just wan't other players to fail so you can MOE your gun more easily.

2- You had two or three super Lucky games that gave you false feelings about the tank, it happened to me a lot of times.

3- You hacked the game and don't even know how the real game version works, wich is a very unlikely scenario i give you that.

About the fact that i stop to reload … it is not just that, i stop nearly half the game time, yes i play with binos and camo net, and know how to use bushes, with a good layer of plants you can get about 2 yards close to ennemies and still be nowhere to be seen.

They just get detected and don't understand how, wich is very funny, and onnce your camo net is deployed even light tanks can get about 150 yards close and never notice your presence.

That's how you play ELC Even, i get 2500 to 3500 support damage in most games

Super bad accuracy on the move, bad agility, extreme stealth ability… you don't need to be Einstein to understand  that "passive scout" tactic is just excatly what the devs intended when they made this tank.

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 13 September 2019 - 07:03 PM.

TransparentBlue #39 Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13414 battles

View PostFunktastic Ed, on 13 September 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

About the fact that i stop to reload … it is not just that, i stop nearly half the game time, yes i play with binos and camo net, and know how to use bushes, with a good layer of pants you can get about 2 yards close to ennemies and still be nowhere to be seen.

They just get detected and don't understand how, wich is very funny, and onnce your camo net is deployed even light tanks can get about 150 yards close and never notice your presence.

That's how you play ELC Even, i get 2500 to 35000 support damage in most games

Super bad accuracy on the move, bad agility, extreme stealth ability… you don't need to be Einstein to understand  that "passive scout" tactic is just excatly what the devs intended when they made this tank.

So you're saying you DON'T need any buffs to succeed in the intended role...

Funktastic Ed #40 Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

View PostTransparentBlue, on 13 September 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

So you're saying you DON'T need any buffs to succeed in the intended role...

Yup, as i don't really count on my gun, i finished very succesful games with high support damage, without firing a single shot.

I know it is very odd for most players, but nobody ever said you had to shoot any visible target, sometimes it is better to remain undetected and win 4x the amount of damage in support instead of alpha.

You know support damage count as damage rate for MOE right ?

I was just sayin that if it is something to make this tank better, accuracy should be the first thing before penetration. 

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 13 September 2019 - 06:59 PM.

Also tagged with Vanguard, ELC, light

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users