• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Rubbelito #101 Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:15 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 24513 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

so how about you make a chart that's shows all this data. 

Keep it simple and go off 1000 xp.

1 How many battles will it take for a non mentor user to reach 10 skills.

2 How many battles will it take for a mentor user to reach 10 skills.

3 How many battles will it take a non  mentor user to reach 10 skills with x2 active.

4 How many battles will it take a mentor user to reach 10 skills with x2 is active.

Realized pretty quickly that a chart seems very overkill.

It's just as easy just to do the calculations off the original chart and applying the average xp and skill level.

10 skills has the base requirement of 2 016 000.

Baseline battle earnings are calculated at 1000xp/battle.

1. 2 016 battles

2. 1833 battles*.

3. 1008 battles

4. 917 battles*.

* 9 battle skills + mentor.

John Arrowsmith #102 Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View PostRubbelito, on 04 April 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Realized pretty quickly that a chart seems very overkill.

It's just as easy just to do the calculations off the original chart and applying the average xp and skill level.

Baseline battle earnings are calculated at 1000xp/battle.

1. 2 016 battles

2. 1833 battles*.

3. 1008 battles

4. 917 battles*.

right then,   repeat your calculations but use 2000 xp per battle instead.

World of tanks Auto lock edition,  because aiming shouldn't be a skill.

Rubbelito #103 Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:31 AM

Major

• 24513 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

right then,   repeat your calculations but use 2000 xp per battle instead.

Not sure where you think you're going with this, and it's also extremely easy to do yourself, but here you go:

Baseline battle earnings are calculated at 2000xp/battle.

1. 1 008battles

2. 917 battles*.

3. 504 battles

4. 459 battles*.

John Arrowsmith #104 Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View PostRubbelito, on 04 April 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Not sure where you think you're going with this, and it's also extremely easy to do yourself, but here you go:

Baseline battle earnings are calculated at 2000xp/battle.

1. 1 008battles

2. 917 battles*.

3. 504 battles

4. 459 battles*.

My Italian crew who started fresh in the P.43   75 % crew.  After 108 battles has 8 skills/perks with 48% towards skill 9.  Yes many boost ops were used obviously. 

How much crew xp is required for 8 skills?      1,209,600?      So this would give me 120960 ish  extra crew xp from 108 battles?   It's actually higher if you take into account the next skill is 48% trained.

If that's correct I fail to see how mentor is such a burden.    I have gained a massive amount of  crew xp in a short space of time.

Yes mentor is only 10%,   but the 10% shown here is a huge margin.

Edited by John Arrowsmith, 04 April 2019 - 12:04 PM.

Rubbelito #105 Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Major

• 24513 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

My Italian crew who started fresh in the P.43   75 % crew.  After 108 battles has 8 skills/perks with 48% towards skill 9.  Yes many boost ops were used obviously. 

How much crew xp is required for 8 skills?      1,209,600?      So this would give me 120000 extra crew xp from 108 battles?   It's actually higher if you take into account the next skill is 48% trained.

If that's correct I fail to see how mentor is such a burden.    I have gained a massive amount of  crew xp in a short space of time.

I would assume that You could play with an average final xp over 2k, especially using boosts.

Those 120k extra are just slightly over a quarter of what you need to reach the next skill though, and this is mainly the point.

Yes, you get more cxp, but no, you don't get there faster unless you at some point swap mentor.

And now  I'm really being a parrot here and repeating myself, but I've said it plenty of times that I have no issues with people using mentor as long as they have all the facts and know what they're doing.

If you're ok with losing a battle skill early in the process, go for it. (And I don't mean that in a sarcastic kind of way)

I've used mentor perhaps a handful of times just to get the first skill (immediately swapping it), which for me always is 6th sense. I  just hate playing without it.

Other than that, I find it highly overrated except for the purpose of getting to 25 skills, which I have no plans atm doing anyway.

The last skills are just too darn expensive and that training could be much more useful on another crew.

But now we're on opinions rather than facts.

SirlceCream #106 Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19316 battles
  • [4LOST]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

How much crew xp is required for 8 skills?      1,209,600?      So this would give me 120960 ish  extra crew xp from 108 battles?   It's actually higher if you take into account the next skill is 48% trained.

correct  but remember that the 9th skill cost you 400k XP so mentor gives you only 20% of the 9th skill "for free". All in all you only have 7 usefull skills (+mentor) +20% of the 8th while someone without mentor would have 8 fully trained skills and did not play 225k XP without SS.

3. Marked Tanks: 84

John Arrowsmith #107 Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View PostSirlceCream, on 04 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

correct  but remember that the 9th skill cost you 400k XP so mentor gives you only 20% of the 9th skill "for free". all in all you have 7 usefull skills +20% of the 8th while someone without mentor would have 8 fully trained skills and did not played 225k XP without SS.

I didn't play 225k without ss.   Without boosts that might be the correct number,  but in my scenario it's not the case.   Some argue the point that 1 crew skill seems to make the crew into a chuck norris squad,   I think that's far from the truth.  Meanwhile my crew has accumulated over 100k more crew xp in just over 100 games.   When the crew gas reached the point it no longer needs mentor it will be switched,  giving a further advantage. 

Edited by John Arrowsmith, 04 April 2019 - 12:37 PM.

dzhey43 #108 Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 29523 battles
  • [3EBC]

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

I didn't play 225k without ss.   Without boosts that might be the correct number,  but in my scenario it's not the case.   Some argue the point that 1 crew skill seems to make the crew into a chuck norris squad,   I think that's far from the truth.  Meanwhile my crew has accumulated over 100k more crew xp in just over 100 games.   When the crew gas reached the point it no longer needs mentor it will be switched,  giving a further advantage. 

For that advantage you played 100 battles with disadvantage (-1 skill). For that advantage you may swap after any number perks, 2nd or 3rd, any. Why have disadvantages at all?
Spoiler

MaxChaos24 #109 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 13190 battles
  • [WGW]

For full disclosure, I'm not here to say, Yes Mentor is worth it or No, Mentor isn't worth it. Just here to provide information about the skill so players can decide for themselves. This is a skill that its worth really comes down to the player and how they value their time and their long term plans for the game. 

Mentor not only provides a bonus Crew XP, but part of it's value is also time saved. Some people value their time more than others so that is something that will be up to each individual to decide for themselves on what their time is worth. You can get an idea on how much time it could save you below.

Another important consideration is that most players have more than 1 Crew. Once you start looking at more than 1 crew, you'll start noticing the potential to be ahead of someone without Mentor by having more trained crews/skills. Again, to fully benefit you would have to swap out Mentor once you are are done training your crew. Being "done" will differ from player to player as different people have a different # of skills as their goal or what skills they deem as important. 

Put together a quick calculator that can give an estimate on the difference Mentor would make for you. As a disclaimer, this is an estimated value as we are just using your overall account info and also wouldn't include the Multiplicative effect of Mentor and the extra bonus you receive once you learn BIA. 

• Link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!...S_uBNp88Mi7kk-3
  • Fill out the blue boxes (Information is on your stats page)
    • Stats_Page.PNG
  • Look at your potential Crew XP earned (with and without Mentor) and compare it to the Chart on the left using the "Cumulative Crew XP" Column.
    • Two Charts provided:
      • 10 Skill Crew Chart: Roughly the amount of skills players would likely consider important. (More realistic scenario for most)
      • 25 Skill Crew Chart: Just to see where you would be at if you actually fully trained crews. (Which most people don't do)
    • For the purpose of figuring out time save, it's calculated based on the average game taking ~6.5 minutes. 

Very Classy #110 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32828 battles
  • [JOCO]

Wow... there isn't a right way?!

Shocking.

There is literally an Xbox 360 in a museum, and this is the best joke you can come up with?
                                                                                         -- allhavoc

M4ntiX #111 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:15 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29445 battles
  • [JOCO]
Thanks Max!

As expected, Mentor saved me around 2 months of playing time to get my crews to where they are now. Gg!

"I live in reality and let me tell you, there is no one here."

"For some reason you feel the need to troll stink bomb a statement of fact."

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

John Arrowsmith #112 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View Postdzhey43, on 04 April 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

For that advantage you played 100 battles with disadvantage (-1 skill). For that advantage you may swap after any number perks, 2nd or 3rd, any. Why have disadvantages at all?

I gained over 100k crew xp more in just 100 games  than a player who didn't use mentor.   Gaining more crew xp is an advantage not a disadvantage. 

Rubbelito #113 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:20 PM

Major

• 24513 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

People talk a lot about saving play time.

I thought we were here because we enjoyed playing the game... :P

But a nice calculator, although I'm a bit disappointed there weren't any hidden info that were being disclosed. :rolleyes:

I think I still prefer the impact of the battle skills though.

John Arrowsmith #114 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 04 April 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

For full disclosure, I'm not here to say, Yes Mentor is worth it or No, Mentor isn't worth it. Just here to provide information about the skill so players can decide for themselves. This is a skill that its worth really comes down to the player and how they value their time and their long term plans for the game. 

Mentor not only provides a bonus Crew XP, but part of it's value is also time saved. Some people value their time more than others so that is something that will be up to each individual to decide for themselves on what their time is worth. You can get an idea on how much time it could save you below.

Another important consideration is that most players have more than 1 Crew. Once you start looking at more than 1 crew, you'll start noticing the potential to be ahead of someone without Mentor by having more trained crews/skills. Again, to fully benefit you would have to swap out Mentor once you are are done training your crew. Being "done" will differ from player to player as different people have a different # of skills as their goal or what skills they deem as important. 

Put together a quick calculator that can give an estimate on the difference Mentor would make for you. As a disclaimer, this is an estimated value as we are just using your overall account info and also wouldn't include the Multiplicative effect of Mentor and the extra bonus you receive once you learn BIA. 

• Link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!...S_uBNp88Mi7kk-3
  • Fill out the blue boxes (Information is on your stats page)
    • Stats_Page.PNG
  • Look at your potential Crew XP earned (with and without Mentor) and compare it to the Chart on the left using the "Cumulative Crew XP" Column.
    • Two Charts provided:
      • 10 Skill Crew Chart: Roughly the amount of skills players would likely consider important. (More realistic scenario for most)
      • 25 Skill Crew Chart: Just to see where you would be at if you actually fully trained crews. (Which most people don't do)
    • For the purpose of figuring out time save, it's calculated based on the average game taking ~6.5 minutes. 

what is the bonus effect of bia on mentor? 

Does running food also contribute to any changing factor on mentor? 

Edited by John Arrowsmith, 04 April 2019 - 01:26 PM.

M4ntiX #115 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29445 battles
  • [JOCO]
Bia gives .5% and food 1% bringing Mentor to 11.5% extra crew XP on fully trained skill.

Is that correct, Max?

"I live in reality and let me tell you, there is no one here."

"For some reason you feel the need to troll stink bomb a statement of fact."

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

John Arrowsmith #116 Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 78330 battles

View PostM4ntiX, on 04 April 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

Bia gives .5% and food 1% bringing Mentor to 11.5% extra crew XP on fully trained skill.

Is that correct, Max?

hopefully max will answer this.

Albapfalzd3 #117 Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22618 battles

View PostSirlceCream, on 04 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

correct  but remember that the 9th skill cost you 400k XP so mentor gives you only 20% of the 9th skill "for free". All in all you only have 7 usefull skills (+mentor) +20% of the 8th while someone without mentor would have 8 fully trained skills and did not play 225k XP without SS.

This is not an entirely true statement. The player with Mentor will have finished their 8th skill and be well into their 9th while the player without Mentor is still training their 8th skill (this is provided both started out at the same time and the Mentor player trained Mentor 1st). So they will both have 7 "useful" skills for a time being until the player without Mentor finishes their 8th skill. At that time the Mentor Lite player will indeed be one "useful" skill ahead but only for a short period of time before the player with Mentor finishes their 9th skill (well ahead of the player without Mentor) and now will be again even. This keeps going on for longer periods of time until the player with Mentor either trades in Mentor and is permanently ahead or laps the player without Mentor is again completely ahead. I think this happens around the 20th or 21st skill. Mentor's big pay off is time saved. You will train a crew up to a predetermined number of skills much faster than a crew without plain and simple. The higher number of skills sought the higher the payout due to the amount of time saved getting there. If you are only going to train 4 skills (who does this?) then it isn't as much of a payout as if you were going for 12, 16, or more. 

Roy

Brute Bassie #118 Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26120 battles

View PostJohn Arrowsmith, on 04 April 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

I gained over 100k crew xp more in just 100 games  than a player who didn't use mentor.   Gaining more crew xp is an advantage not a disadvantage. 

I fail to see how gaining more crew XP is an advantage if ithe price for this 'advantage' is staying one battle skill behind until you swap  mentor. You can't have the advantage you're talking about without this disadvantage. For me, the disadvantage of staying one battle skill behind until I swap mentor outweighs the advantage of getting X number of skills 10% faster.

Albapfalzd3 #119 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22618 battles

View PostBrute Bassie, on 04 April 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

I fail to see how gaining more crew XP is an advantage if ithe price for this 'advantage' is staying one battle skill behind until you swap  mentor. You can't have the advantage you're talking about without this disadvantage. For me, the disadvantage of staying one battle skill behind until I swap mentor outweighs the advantage of getting X number of skills 10% faster.

But you are not one "Battle" skill behind for very long. You will actually have the same amount of battle skills for a longer period of time the longer you train as you will reach each threshold before the player with out mentor. All things being pretty much equal at the start, Player 1 trains Mentor, Player 2 trains ?. Player 1 finishes Mentor before Player 2 finishes ? and is now training skill #2. Player 2 reaches skill 1 a few matches behind Player 1 and starts skill 2. Player 1 finishes Skill 2 and is now training #3 (they now both have the same amount of "Battle" skills) but is now several matches ahead of Player 2 and this keeps going and going until when you get up into the double digit skills you will be hundreds of matches ahead progressing into the thousands when you get up into the real high numbers eventually surpassing Player 2 in "Battle" skills and still have mentor. 

Roy

GUSTO 24 7 #120 Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 50135 battles
  • [4TH]

View PostAlbapfalzd3, on 04 April 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

But you are not one "Battle" skill behind for very long. You will actually have the same amount of battle skills for a longer period of time the longer you train as you will reach each threshold before the player with out mentor. All things being pretty much equal at the start, Player 1 trains Mentor, Player 2 trains ?. Player 1 finishes Mentor before Player 2 finishes ? and is now training skill #2. Player 2 reaches skill 1 a few matches behind Player 1 and starts skill 2. Player 1 finishes Skill 2 and is now training #3 (they now both have the same amount of "Battle" skills) but is now several matches ahead of Player 2 and this keeps going and going until when you get up into the double digit skills you will be hundreds of matches ahead progressing into the thousands when you get up into the real high numbers eventually surpassing Player 2 in "Battle" skills and still have mentor. 

Roy

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but you will never have more skills and mentor at the same time due to the xp required doubling every 4 skills, in essence raising the bar before you can ever reach it. As we seem to all agree it gets you to a set number of skills in less games, and when you swap out mentor is when you see the advantage of a partially trained extra skill, but not before that. You don't earn free skills, that is why I stop using it after I have a few trained, if you leave mentor on to keep earning that precious 10% you will always be behind part of a skill.

Damn the torpedoes.........full speed ahead!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users