What tips or hints can you propose to grind a line, Tier I to Tier X, crew and equipment management ...

grind equipment management crew management teaching tips hints

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:26 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

Alright, you have decided that you are going to grind that new line of tanks, freshly released for that new nation, and you do not own a Premium tank that can train your crews ahead of time.

At a quick glance, it seems easy. But if you just get it going without a plan, you soon come to face some choices that you had better planned ahead of time.

The options seem rather simple, but kind of a Sophie's choice at the same time.

When do you stop recruiting new crews? what Tier? then what? use existing crews with perk and skills at 75%? do you bump up your crew until X?

What if you do not have a Premium tank in which you have pre-trained a crew?

When do you start to use equipment, or more specifically, when do you start using equipment that is not free to dismantle? do you resale the previous Tier tank once you have unlocked the next one?

When do you start to free XP the intermediate packages?

Do you purchase premium ammunition for each Gun you are going through?

Here is what I personally do, so far:

-From Tier I to V, I recruit new crews for free; each tank gets a 50% trained zero skill/perk crew.

-From Tier I to V, I install free to remove equipment, namely, Binoculars, Camouflage net, Tool Box.

-From Tier I to V, I exclusively grind and do not use any free XP to unlock packages, no matter how difficult to play the tank with the intermediate kits.

-From Tier ! to V, I do not purchase any premium ammunition.

I sold each tank up to now.

I have now unlocked the Tier VI, and I am wondering if I should devise a new strategy:

-The amount of XP to unlock the intermediate packages is now consequent; does it justifies training a crew from 75%, e.g. recruiting one of the no skill/perk crew I ditched along the line?

-Should I continue playing my Tier V, now that it is Elite, until my crew gets to 100%, and until it gets Sixth Sense and Brother in Arms?

-Should I start to install useful equipment?

-Should I start using free XP to get to the best kit to play the tank with?

-Should I play the tank until I get a crew that could be used for the next Tier? e.g. the basic skills, Brother in Arms, Sixth Sense?

What do YOU do!

Try to put yourself in a situation where you do not have that much Silver or free XP, and you lack the means of purchasing the Gold necessary to give you all that flexibility....

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

LadyTanker #2 Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 5867 battles
I don't ever really have a plan when it comes to this. Lol. Sometimes I've had trained crews available that I could stick into a tank without using silver. That's what I look for first. If not, I'll just train a crew to 75% and work with it. I really haven't been on any real grind since getting to tier 7. Thank the KV-3 for that and just not having motivation to play the game. When I play, it's mostly been my premium tanks or tanks I've already got fully upgraded. I'd just rather not be on an endless grind whenever loading it up. 

Highlordwurm #3 Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17132 battles
  • [54-40]

With no prem tanks?

tiers 1-3 50% crew, free XP to final package and grind to the next tier, just to get a feel for the line.

At tier 4 I would start with a 75% crew, I find when you do this you get to about the mid 90's on your crew when you unlock the tier 5, so, it will be ready to over-train just as the tank goes elite.  If you can stand the tier 4 enough to over-train about 20,000 XP your tier 5 tank should have a 100% crew to start!

From that point forward, I earn 1 perk per tier, minimum, but if there is a tank I am really enjoying, I will stick with it as long as my patience allows.  This will give you 5 perks, working on the 6th, when you hit tier ten, minimum.

Elite status is your best bet if you don't have a prem for that nation, linger on the tanks in the line you do well with, use them as crew trainers, but, I would STRONGLY suggest if you are planning to grind from tier 1-10, get a prem from that nation, this game is actually about the crews....

A prem account is also a huge decider:  Without it, I agree with you about low tier gold rounds, but with a prem account, who cares!?  gold ammo is pretty cheap at low tiers, investing money makes money, you should out-perform people who also never use gold at low tiers, not many rounds, but a few for the Matildas, and such.

Similarly, about equipment, absolutely any tank, if you have empty spaces in your equipment slots, fill them with the 'free' equipment (camo net, binocs and toolbox)!  you should never go into battle with an empty equipment slot!  When to switch over to complex equipment is definitely a matter of choice, but I find once you hit tier 5 you will have the tank long enough to justify the 30 gold investment to remove the equipment when it is done.

Edited by Highlordwurm, 15 April 2019 - 07:00 PM.

ThermalStone #4 Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29526 battles
  • [80085]

Get through tiers 1 through 4 ASAP, using free XP whenever possible to skip to the top package.  Tiers 1 through 3 you will be clubbed mercilessly.  Tier 4 has the worst matchmaking in the game.

If you really need to save money, turn off ammo resupply.  A lot of low tier tanks have starter guns with insanely huge ammo capacity.  You can get to the top package before you ever shoot off all that ammo.  Carry some premium rounds if you'll be on the top package for a while, make sure to shoot them all off before you sell the tank.

Don't start working on a keeper crew until tier 5.  Train at least 6th sense and brothers before moving on.  If the tier 5 is crap but the tier 6 is good (like the Czech line) then train at tier 6.  

If you are training at tier 5 or 6, install optimum equipment.  It's only 10 gold to remove and they give out around 1000 gold a month now.  Consider vents for lower tier tanks;  they are pretty cheap and you can afford to junk.them when you sell the tank.

With all the XP and crew boosters and ops these days it should take no time at all to have a fully upgraded tier 5 or 6 tank with a two skill crew.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Waka-Waka-Waka-W #5 Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 21089 battles
  • [B_H_D]
New crew tiers 1-6
Get thru tiers 1-4 asap unless you enjoy the tank
Free xp packages if you are really struggling with the package currently on tank.
Free xp everything if you really want to get thru the line (my advice) do not free xp anything  tank or package under tier 5 xp is fast an packages cheap , should not need premium ammo  for any tank  tier 1-4 if you do need your already out gunned by faster fire rates higher pen an dmg. The British  valentine light is 1 tank that you need to save free xp just to bypass totally.Prem ammo at lower lvls is cheap.
  Crew work depends on tank line your working on
  For tiers 6 an up is when I start buying the permanent equipment but most times that's either a gun rammer, binoculars, or both, along with camo net.
  For tiers 1-5 equipment it is as previous  poster wrote telescopic, tool box camo net
Some tanks upgraded packages are worse then a previous package just keep the lower package an work thru it.

P6X330 #6 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostThermalStone, on 15 April 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

Get through tiers 1 through 4 ASAP, using free XP whenever possible to skip to the top package.  Tiers 1 through 3 you will be clubbed mercilessly.  Tier 4 has the worst matchmaking in the game.

If you really need to save money, turn off ammo resupply.  A lot of low tier tanks have starter guns with insanely huge ammo capacity.  You can get to the top package before you ever shoot off all that ammo.  Carry some premium rounds if you'll be on the top package for a while, make sure to shoot them all off before you sell the tank.

Don't start working on a keeper crew until tier 5.  Train at least 6th sense and brothers before moving on.  If the tier 5 is crap but the tier 6 is good (like the Czech line) then train at tier 6.  

If you are training at tier 5 or 6, install optimum equipment.  It's only 10 gold to remove and they give out around 1000 gold a month now.  Consider vents for lower tier tanks;  they are pretty cheap and you can afford to junk.them when you sell the tank.

With all the XP and crew boosters and ops these days it should take no time at all to have a fully upgraded tier 5 or 6 tank with a two skill crew.  

What you propose is logical, I would only maybe decline using free XP on the lower Tiers, since it only takes a few battles to get past them.

Last night I unlocked the Tier VI and so far, I am keeping the Tier V; only 10% more to get to 100%. The start package of the Tier VI is not the best, but I am still going to work with it to get to the 10k necessary to upgrade.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

P6X330 #7 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostWaka-Waka-Waka-W, on 15 April 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

New crew tiers 1-6
Get thru tiers 1-4 asap unless you enjoy the tank
Free xp packages if you are really struggling with the package currently on tank.
Free xp everything if you really want to get thru the line (my advice) do not free xp anything tank or package under tier 5 xp is fast an packages cheap , should not need premium ammo for any tank tier 1-4 if you do need your already out gunned by faster fire rates higher pen an dmg. The British valentine light is 1 tank that you need to save free xp just to bypass totally.Prem ammo at lower lvls is cheap.
Crew work depends on tank line your working on
For tiers 6 an up is when I start buying the permanent equipment but most times that's either a gun rammer, binoculars, or both, along with camo net.
For tiers 1-5 equipment it is as previous poster wrote telescopic, tool box camo net
Some tanks upgraded packages are worse then a previous package just keep the lower package an work thru it.

I have installed keeper equipment on the Tier VI, but started with a green horn crew. It has the same top gun of the Tier V, which is unfortunate.

P6X330 #8 Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:42 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostLadyTanker, on 15 April 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

I don't ever really have a plan when it comes to this. Lol. Sometimes I've had trained crews available that I could stick into a tank without using silver. That's what I look for first. If not, I'll just train a crew to 75% and work with it. I really haven't been on any real grind since getting to tier 7. Thank the KV-3 for that and just not having motivation to play the game. When I play, it's mostly been my premium tanks or tanks I've already got fully upgraded. I'd just rather not be on an endless grind whenever loading it up. 

The key is to find something that motivates you to play, before anything else. Whatever that maybe. For example, I do not care much for the operations personally, but I have a few tanks that I am working towards to get. That's my number one reason to play at the moment.

Last year, I went on the Tusk crusade, to find out if I was able to get it.

This year, I went for the Stinger, because AMX 13 chassis.

I am grinding towards the AMX 50B, because of the Machine possible appearance.

I also found some interesting people to platoon with, that too...

ThermalStone #9 Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:28 AM

Major

• Players
  • 29526 battles
  • [80085]

View PostP6X330, on 16 April 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

What you propose is logical, I would only maybe decline using free XP on the lower Tiers, since it only takes a few battles to get past them.

Last night I unlocked the Tier VI and so far, I am keeping the Tier V; only 10% more to get to 100%. The start package of the Tier VI is not the best, but I am still going to work with it to get to the 10k necessary to upgrade.

Stock tanks at low tiers with [edited]crews will kill anyone's stats in a hurry, even a unicum.  Most veteran players skip tiers 1 through 4 entirely.  It doesn't cost much free XP at all compared to higher tiers.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Koncorde #10 Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22727 battles
If silver is no object...

I skip 1 to 3 with free XP if possible. Start tier 4 with a 75% crew. I know I will probably finish the tank grind before I have levelled up the crew, so they'll often be abandoned unless I have a premium tank I can use to assist in levelling them up afterwards.

Usually put on all the stock redeemable equipment (binocs, camo, toolbox) to try and offset the lower that average stock tank details. Grind tier 4 in 5 or so matches.

Sell equipment, recruit new 75% crew for tier 5. If I enjoyed the tier 4 I may keep hold of it temporarily if I feel it is suitable for XP grinding (particularly if the crew is close to levelling up a first skill somehow). The tier 4 crew will often end up in my tier 6 later on.

Tier 5 is my first real attempt to improve the crew. Will run XP boosts if I can to try and get them back to 100% and get their first skill out of the way. Install equipment per tier 4. After 10 or so matches I expect the grind completed and moved on, so the crew may have a single skill. I will usually keep them in the tank and prepare the 5 for using in Ops that require 5+ tanks. This crew may later end up in the 8 or 9.

Tier 6 crew, new recruits at 75%. This crew will be on the longest grinds so I expect them to be my most skilled crew in the long term. Grind tier 6 in probably about 25 to 35 battles depending on performance, daily doubles etc. Crew should be up to close to 2 skills by this point.

Do a crew transfer from 6 to 7, sell all equipment and reinstall at 7. If I enjoyed the 6 I may keep hold of it for the tier 4 crew later on.

I hopefully should now have enough free XP to skip the bottom package, so do that and play anything between 50 to 80 matches to complete the tier 7 grind.

This crew by this point may be into 5 or so skills, and goes straight to the 8. His target is now to get to 10 or so skills by tier 10 by grinding first through the 9 then the 10. My lower crews I will then decide which to move up into the original tanks to continue their progress (if indeed I enjoy any if the tanks in the grind).

If I have a spare crew from another grind, they may also end up switched over to pick up the slack in crew training / lack of a suitable skilled crew. For instance my Tiger P crew was moved to the Jgdpanther because it stayed on that TP tank so long for the multiple tank grinds that feed off it. An earlier crew from the PzIVH instead continued the heavy line from 8 and above. The IVH crew are now in my Panther II.

This obviously doesn't work so well in new tank nations with only a single, or maybe two lines to grind.

P6X330 #11 Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:51 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostThermalStone, on 16 April 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

Stock tanks at low tiers with [edited]crews will kill anyone's stats in a hurry, even a unicum.  Most veteran players skip tiers 1 through 4 entirely.  It doesn't cost much free XP at all compared to higher tiers.

Ah, I did not mention, but I cannot care less about my personal stats; that being said, I understand I am in the minority.

Two main reasons:

a) Stats are not the true reflection of a person's ability to play this game. I don't play the "easy" tanks, not implying those with purple stats play specific tanks to get to where they are. And I have managed to get my stats all the way to purple just to check the theory.

b) Stats may come between my idea of having fun in this game, I can't let that happen.

I am possibly one of the few players that flashes his less than perfect stats in his signature. Most of those that do, only show "good" stats, not "bad" stats like mine.

Each player is own objectives and goals. Mine are not with statistics, but I totally understand what working towards better stats can also be a motivator.

P6X330 #12 Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:57 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13732 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostKoncorde, on 17 April 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

If silver is no object...

I skip 1 to 3 with free XP if possible. Start tier 4 with a 75% crew. I know I will probably finish the tank grind before I have leveled up the crew, so they'll often be abandoned unless I have a premium tank I can use to assist in leveling them up afterwards.
I like to keep my free XP to free XP packages of tanks at higher Tiers; say, VIII, IX, X. Especially Tier X. Reason being, when you are playing the higher tiers, you are in king's court. There is no forgiveness. If you are going to have a tank with weak performance, you are going to be standing at a disadvantage. Some players are able to compensate with their play, but not me.
I found it is easier to slide by the lower Tier than the top ones.
I have dumped tanks and crews from I to IV.

Usually put on all the stock redeemable equipment (binocs, camo, toolbox) to try and offset the lower that average stock tank details. Grind tier 4 in 5 or so matches.
I did too. My VI is the first tank for which I installed non free to redeem equipment. The V tank works well with the penultimate gun, and that is the one I am using. 3% more, and the crew will start working towards its first skill. It is a keeper.

Sell equipment, recruit new 75% crew for tier 5. If I enjoyed the tier 4 I may keep hold of it temporarily if I feel it is suitable for XP grinding (particularly if the crew is close to levelling up a first skill somehow). The tier 4 crew will often end up in my tier 6 later on.
Indeed, it looks like the Tier V is a keeper. I was not certain when I started with it, but it grew on me as I played it. Now I have to wait and see what the VI and VII are like before I make a final assessment.

Tier 5 is my first real attempt to improve the crew. Will run XP boosts if I can to try and get them back to 100% and get their first skill out of the way. Install equipment per tier 4. After 10 or so matches I expect the grind completed and moved on, so the crew may have a single skill. I will usually keep them in the tank and prepare the 5 for using in Ops that require 5+ tanks. This crew may later end up in the 8 or 9.
For some strange reason, I am not using my boosts. I always keep them for something "later", that never materialize. A bit like in my life, I always saved money at times when I should have spent it, just because something bad may have happened.
Not certain yet as to what will happen with the V crew. I tend to keep one crew per tank I play. It may change when I have all the tanks I am looking for, but at present, that is my discipline.
Tier 6 crew, new recruits at 75%. This crew will be on the longest grinds so I expect them to be my most skilled crew in the long term. Grind tier 6 in probably about 25 to 35 battles depending on performance, daily doubles etc. Crew should be up to close to 2 skills by this point.
I did enroll one of my earlier released crew at 75% for the VI. I don't expect the VI grind to be too much of a hassle, although the stock gun is not much of anything.
Do a crew transfer from 6 to 7, sell all equipment and reinstall at 7. If I enjoyed the 6 I may keep hold of it for the tier 4 crew later on.
I will take your advice on this.

I hopefully should now have enough free XP to skip the bottom package, so do that and play anything between 50 to 80 matches to complete the tier 7 grind.
I have a reasonable amount of free XP, but as with the boosts, I am keeping those for unlocking the packages of the upper Tiers tanks. I have unlocked three Tiers IX, which I have not yet purchased. Before I go through with the buy, I unlock all the packages. And I am also working on getting four skills crews in them. It takes a lot of patience.

This crew by this point may be into 5 or so skills, and goes straight to the 8. His target is now to get to 10 or so skills by tier 10 by grinding first through the 9 then the 10. My lower crews I will then decide which to move up into the original tanks to continue their progress (if indeed I enjoy any if the tanks in the grind).
This is the part that is not yet under control for me. I am reluctant to move crews along, so I always train crews with premium tanks ahead of time. But for the line I am grinding now, I do not have a premium tank. So I will go with your suggestion.

If I have a spare crew from an
other grind, they may also end up switched over to pick up the slack in crew training / lack of a suitable skilled crew. For instance my Tiger P crew was moved to the Jgdpanther because it stayed on that TP tank so long for the multiple tank grinds that feed off it. An earlier crew from the PzIVH instead continued the heavy line from 8 and above. The IVH crew are now in my Panther II.
The only spare crew I possess are those I released from the lower tiers. And by the way, this would be one more reason why you need to play the lower tiers, instead of sifting through them. So you get some crews in stock...
This obviously doesn't work so well in new tank nations with only a single, or maybe two lines to grind.
And this is where I am at. The line I am grinding is one of those with a single arm.

In between the text, in hopeful bold purple...

Koncorde #13 Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22727 battles
I usually have a float of about 20,000xp just for grinding lower tier tanks. I originally intended to play through a full tree (as I did the first time with the British mediums) but found the incessant rebooting of crew, and lack of overall crew progress to be prohibitive. As such I spend the 9 or 10k to skip 1, 2, 3 to save me the $ in recruiting crews only to end up with 3 crews sitting in them at leas than 100% and no redeeming skills.

Tier 4 is where the cost in XP per package starts getting a bit pricey, and I try and conserve the bulk of it for skipping an obviously flawed weaker package later on.

This is particularly critical if you know the tank without the upgrade cannot play the role it is expected, nor can it fill in elsewhere. For instance some mediums can become functional passive spotters and high ROF snipers, and some heavies even without upgrades remain combative heavies. However there are other tanks (like the Polish line) where their view range means they cannot be passive spotters, and their guns tend to be inaccurate.

The flaws are particularly telling if a tank is so sufficiently different from the prior tier that it cannot simulate it. For instance the Comet, without the upgrades, is a less capable Cromwell. It is worth spending the XP to get the upgrades so it can actually play its own role.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users