Jump to content


Notre Dame Cathedral decals

France french support notre dame flag insignia decal

  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Koncorde #41 Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:09 AM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 24990 battles
  • 1,752
  • Member since:
    06-08-2014

View PostDiabolicGambit, on 17 April 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

Some people are just ignorant, wg should create an emblem, they would be remiss not too.. And 100% of the proceeds should be donated.. 

 

So should Wargaming respond to every disaster with a purchasable icon?

 

Are the flags and flag vouchers not enough?



P6X330 #42 Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:37 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 16109 battles
  • 3,957
  • [AMXS]
  • Member since:
    07-02-2017

Posted ImageNotre Dame de Paris la nuit

Posted ImageSnow day at Notre Dame


                Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

 


LadyTanker #43 Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 3,628
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017
Please don't.

A Dwarfer #44 Posted 19 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 28312 battles
  • 468
  • [POPPY]
  • Member since:
    05-05-2014
So what that it burned, wasnt the building insured? Didnt the contractors have insurance? The French goverment didnt care about its upkeep, they paid only enough each year to cover the basic repair costs. I went there a few years ago and thought it was an ugly building. It made me laugh when they said it survived WW2. The French surrendered its capital without firing a shot to defend it and when the Germans decided to go against Hitlers order to destroy Paris and leave peacfully, the French population decided to rise up and attack the Germans, Notre Dame was then in more peril from the French than the Germans 

donny007-THX #45 Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 22905 battles
  • 2,649
  • Member since:
    12-18-2017

Hundreds of thousands of bees that lived on the roof of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris have survived the devastating fire that erupted earlier this week, French beekeepers confirmed.

 

How about bee stickers?  The proceeds can go to finding new homes for the bees.


When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

Dr__Jag #46 Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:24 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 21680 battles
  • 636
  • Member since:
    12-04-2015
Can I ask for a Michael Jackson Day Care emblem, with proceeds going to restoring his ranch "Neverland"?

DrivableBeast35 #47 Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 31480 battles
  • 2,364
  • Member since:
    08-08-2013
Meh.


 


Ragyoo #48 Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 27055 battles
  • 529
  • Member since:
    12-27-2016

View PostA Dwarfer, on 19 April 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

So what that it burned, wasnt the building insured? Didnt the contractors have insurance? The French goverment didnt care about its upkeep, they paid only enough each year to cover the basic repair costs. I went there a few years ago and thought it was an ugly building. It made me laugh when they said it survived WW2. The French surrendered its capital without firing a shot to defend it and when the Germans decided to go against Hitlers order to destroy Paris and leave peacfully, the French population decided to rise up and attack the Germans, Notre Dame was then in more peril from the French than the Germans

 

This is not the truth. Notre Dame is beautiful and the French fought the germans out of Paris ! Open some books.

 

And you don't "care" about a historical monument, you preserve it from alteration. Fires happen all the time. Tomorrow your own home can catch fire and be destroyed to the ground, hope nobody will tell you that you should have an insurance and didn't maintain your home...



A Dwarfer #49 Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 28312 battles
  • 468
  • [POPPY]
  • Member since:
    05-05-2014

View PostRagyoo, on 19 April 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

 

This is not the truth. Notre Dame is beautiful and the French fought the germans out of Paris ! Open some books.

 

And you don't "care" about a historical monument, you preserve it from alteration. Fires happen all the time. Tomorrow your own home can catch fire and be destroyed to the ground, hope nobody will tell you that you should have an insurance and didn't maintain your home...

 

The only reason the French fought the Germans out of Paris is because the Germans wanted to leave quietly and not see Paris destroyed. The Germans ended up staying and fighting to protect themselves. France gave up their capital without a fight in 1940, so in 1944 they had to try and hide there shame by then fighting the Germans who just wanted to leave. Thats the truth. To me, notre dame is an ugly building, its my opinion. I think its pathetic that people did a late night candle service outside the night after and sung songs. It was a building that had its roof destroyed, if it had been a home where people died then i would understand

DrivableBeast35 #50 Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:29 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 31480 battles
  • 2,364
  • Member since:
    08-08-2013
A smoke detector is like $20 at Home Depot. Or, was there a smoke detector, but someone removed the batteries so they could smoke in the attic?


 


Ditch Doc #51 Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:16 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20624 battles
  • 103
  • Member since:
    07-31-2014

Thanks to everyone for your input. I appreciate the viewpoint of those who do not think any special emblem is warranted, as well as those who like the idea. It does feel as though the responses have drifted away from my original intent. 

 

The original intent was to make it clear to the French people in our tank community that non-French players were thinking of them at a time when something shocking had just happened in their country. That is the reason I thought a distinctive emblem would be helpful, so as to distinguish from tanks just flying the standard French flags or emblems, which would never be noticed.

 

I expected some people to say, "Should we just do a special decal for every little thing that happens in the world?". That's a reasonable question. Obviously the answer is no. I dont one think we need a bee emblem, either. 

 

I realize that that I probably got it wrong by suggesting something that was too specific (a silhouette).  I failed to meet even my own intent.

 

But in a game where we get frustrated, and people get angry and sometimes nasty over the mic, it seems like it'd be a nice thing to be able to show some solidarity at times. Just a way to make it feel like a community out there. I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a better way for players to say, "I'm not from your country, but I care what happened to your country". Something simple. Maybe there should just be a ribbon decal in the colors of each country whose flag is represented in the game. And then the next time there's a mudslide in South America, or a tsunami in the Pacific, those people who chose to can quietly show their support. 

 

 


“They’re trying to kill me,” Yossarian told him calmly.

”No one’s trying to kill you,” Clevinger cried.

”Then why are they shooting at me?” Yossarian asked.

”They’re shooting at everyone,” Clevinger answered. “They’re trying to kill everyone.”

”And what difference does that make?” Joseph Heller, Catch-22


donny007-THX #52 Posted 20 April 2019 - 02:19 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 22905 battles
  • 2,649
  • Member since:
    12-18-2017

How about this as a tank sticker?

 

I put a picture here but it did not make for some reason.  Oh well.  Never mind.

 

 

 


Edited by donny007-THX, 20 April 2019 - 02:20 AM.

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

fozfactor #53 Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:05 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59017 battles
  • 2,396
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View Postdonny007-THX, on 19 April 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hundreds of thousands of bees that lived on the roof of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris have survived the devastating fire that erupted earlier this week, French beekeepers confirmed.

 

How about bee stickers?  The proceeds can go to finding new homes for the bees.

 

That's some good news. I think flying the French flag in solidarity is enough for me. But hard to fathom the indifference to this tragedy that some posts on this thread seem to be conveying.

non nobis solum


donny007-THX #54 Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:27 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 22905 battles
  • 2,649
  • Member since:
    12-18-2017

View Postfozfactor, on 19 April 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

 

That's some good news. I think flying the French flag in solidarity is enough for me. But hard to fathom the indifference to this tragedy that some posts on this thread seem to be conveying.

 

I think part of it is that folks are not appreciating one of the truly great engineering feats of its day.  The beauty in the engineering solution, given the materials were very heavy and the height of the vaulted ceiling, is enough for me to appreciate it.  Its history is a good read if folks have a few moments to dig into it.  
When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

fozfactor #55 Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:43 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59017 battles
  • 2,396
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View Postdonny007-THX, on 19 April 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

 

I think part of it is that folks are not appreciating one of the truly great engineering feats of its day.  The beauty in the engineering solution, given the materials were very heavy and the height of the vaulted ceiling, is enough for me to appreciate it.  Its history is a good read if folks have a few moments to dig into it.  

 

I visited Notre Dame in the 80's while I was a senior in high school when I went to see the TDF (I had aspirations of becoming a pro back then), and like you said the architecture is profound. History and symbolism are important to all of us, or should be, whether to reflect on it's potential virtue or villainy, regardless of the originating culture or who found value in it, and it's destruction whether intentional or accidental is always unfortunate. 

 

On a side note, I didn't realize Joan of Arc was beautified there. Her name graces my 30B. 


non nobis solum


DrivableBeast35 #56 Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:15 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 31480 battles
  • 2,364
  • Member since:
    08-08-2013
I'm conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, I think the world lost an amazing work of architecture and it should be restored. On the other hand though, I can't help but think of all the children whose lives the Catholic Church has destroyed over the centuries, the stories of whom have only started to come out in recent decades. For them, I wonder what exactly Notre Dame symbolized?


 


fozfactor #57 Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:35 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59017 battles
  • 2,396
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostDrivableBeast35, on 20 April 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

I'm conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, I think the world lost an amazing work of architecture and it should be restored. On the other hand though, I can't help but think of all the children whose lives the Catholic Church has destroyed over the centuries, the stories of whom have only started to come out in recent decades. For them, I wonder what exactly Notre Dame symbolized?

Read up on the Invasion of India, specifically how the Hindu Kush range got it's name and the tens of millions of Hindu's killed during the Abbasid and Omayyad caliphates, or maybe recent events over the last decade in Rotherham/Telford/Brisol/et al. UK (or do thousands of young English girls not matter?). Or the Zanzibar slave trade, or genital mutilation, or the commonality of the countries on the planet that currently hold the death penalty for homosexuality, or the tens if not hundreds of millions of deaths in the 20th century under socialism between China, Russia and Cambodia. The world is an effed up place, Catholicism doesn't hold a monopoly on misery. Every belief system has its skeletons, and thus their icons and symbology could be equally scrutinized under the 'villainy' category in my post above.


non nobis solum


SandM9 #58 Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 33303 battles
  • 3,357
  • Member since:
    08-03-2013

View Postfozfactor, on 19 April 2019 - 10:35 PM, said:

Read up on the Invasion of India, specifically how the Hindu Kush range got it's name and the tens of millions of Hindu's killed during the Abbasid and Omayyad caliphates, or maybe recent events over the last decade in Rotherham/Telford/Brisol/et al. UK (or do thousands of young English girls not matter?). Or the Zanzibar slave trade, or genital mutilation, or the commonality of the countries on the planet that currently hold the death penalty for homosexuality, or the tens if not hundreds of millions of deaths in the 20th century under socialism between China, Russia and Cambodia. The world is an effed up place, Catholicism doesn't hold a monopoly on misery. Every belief system has its skeletons, and thus their icons and symbology could be equally scrutinized under the 'villainy' category in my post above.

 

So we should excuse horrible things now because horrible things have happened before? I would say that's a low bar but you pretty much picked the bar up and threw it in the river.

 

Back on topic I agree with others who would argue that the certain buildings transcend their purpose to take on larger meaning and Notre Dame is one of them. I would list more but I'm sure people can make their own list.


Welcome to the forums. Where you can call people stupid, just don't call them passive-aggressive.

 

 


fozfactor #59 Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:53 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59017 battles
  • 2,396
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostSandM9, on 20 April 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

So we should excuse horrible things now because horrible things have happened before? I would say that's a low bar but you pretty much picked the bar up and threw it in the river.

 

Back on topic I agree with others who would argue that the certain buildings transcend their purpose to take on larger meaning and Notre Dame is one of them. I would list more but I'm sure people can make their own list.

 

Didn't excuse anything, but my post was excessive. Agree with your second point.

non nobis solum


fozfactor #60 Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 59017 battles
  • 2,396
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostDrivableBeast35, on 20 April 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

 

 

Apologies if my reply came off sounding harsh excessive or non-sequitur. SandM9 got me thinking.


Edited by fozfactor, 20 April 2019 - 04:38 PM.

non nobis solum






Also tagged with France, french, support, notre dame, flag, insignia, decal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users