AWK not penalized

awk truth

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

MayorDaley1 #1 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12998 battles
I played a game on Dragon Ridge yesterday, starting on the southern part of the map.  I am in a Churchill VII, and I go to protect the left flank, knowing that the complete lack of mobility will not allow me to join the fight by climbing the hills.  Two scouts on my team clear the left and sweep through the enemy positions.  This left me with no enemies to see or shoot at, as the red team never crested the hills or attacked very well.  The arty on my team fired two shots and hit no one.  Our team overwhelmed the enemy and won.  There was a Chaffee that was AWK and did not move or do anything in the battle.  The three of us (Churchill VII, arty and Chaffee) all got 320XP.  Why is an AWK still getting points just for joining a battle and contributing absolutely nothing?  I know I had a bad game because there was nothing for me to do, but if a tank does not move or turn or shoot, it is contributing nothing, not even defense.  WGCB, can you actually make AWK XP and silver earnings 0?  They are actively being a negative to the team and should not be rewarded if the 14 other players at least try. 

MaxChaos24 #2 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12569 battles

View PostMayorDaley1, on 22 April 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

I played a game on Dragon Ridge yesterday, starting on the southern part of the map.  I am in a Churchill VII, and I go to protect the left flank, knowing that the complete lack of mobility will not allow me to join the fight by climbing the hills.  Two scouts on my team clear the left and sweep through the enemy positions.  This left me with no enemies to see or shoot at, as the red team never crested the hills or attacked very well.  The arty on my team fired two shots and hit no one.  Our team overwhelmed the enemy and won.  There was a Chaffee that was AWK and did not move or do anything in the battle.  The three of us (Churchill VII, arty and Chaffee) all got 320XP.  Why is an AWK still getting points just for joining a battle and contributing absolutely nothing?  I know I had a bad game because there was nothing for me to do, but if a tank does not move or turn or shoot, it is contributing nothing, not even defense.  WGCB, can you actually make AWK XP and silver earnings 0?  They are actively being a negative to the team and should not be rewarded if the 14 other players at least try. 

Popular topic today. AFK players do not earn any Silver or XP.

BrogueOne #3 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22164 battles
  • [ELDER]
AFK players receive no silver or XP.  In fact, a tank which is immobile for a whole match will even explode at the end of a match.  AFk players DO get punished and perpetual abusers get banned.

tonygillott #4 Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 37212 battles
  • [FUBB]
The ones that drive behind the nearest rock or house then quit! Question should be why they do it? 75 wins?

twocruel4u2c #5 Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14230 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 22 April 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

AFK players receive no silver or XP. In fact, a tank which is immobile for a whole match will even explode at the end of a match. AFk players DO get punished and perpetual abusers get banned.

Unless they are killed during the match.   See them being the last person killed by the enemy.

This is what I was saying Max.  That the score board shows them getting xp.    This makes people think they still get xp.   I know ,we don't see the penalty they receive.

donny007-THX #6 Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19679 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 22 April 2019 - 06:41 AM, said:

AFK players receive no silver or XP. In fact, a tank which is immobile for a whole match will even explode at the end of a match. AFk players DO get punished and perpetual abusers get banned.

Define perpetual please.

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

SPUK4U #7 Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7153 battles

View Posttonygillott, on 22 April 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

The ones that drive behind the nearest rock or house then quit! Question should be why they do it? 75 wins?

WG should make so that MM puts all those who have the Long Haul Ops active into the same battle.  That way AFK, YOLO, and Quick-CAP players would have a balanced battle. :trollface:

- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

BrogueOne #8 Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22164 battles
  • [ELDER]

View Posttwocruel4u2c, on 22 April 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

Unless they are killed during the match.   See them being the last person killed by the enemy.

This is what I was saying Max.  That the score board shows them getting xp.    This makes people think they still get xp.   I know ,we don't see the penalty they receive.

An AFK player will explode at the end of a match. I’ve watched it happen several times.  They are not killed by the OpFor.  If they earned any XP or Silver it’s because at some point in the match they actually DID something(even if not much) before becoming AFK.  AFK can be caused as much by disconnection as it can by willful intent.

Afro Palestine #9 Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 54456 battles
  • [HKC]

View Posttonygillott, on 22 April 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

Someone comes to the door, phone call, etc.  (Aside from the serial-afk persons).

psmobius1 #10 Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29138 battles
  • [USA1]
it may look like they got XP and silver on your screen but on their screen it shows 0. Not sure why WG doesn't let us all see the 0's in the battle result screen but that is where the confusion comes from. 

twocruel4u2c #11 Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 14230 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 22 April 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

An AFK player will explode at the end of a match. I’ve watched it happen several times.  They are not killed by the OpFor.  If they earned any XP or Silver it’s because at some point in the match they actually DID something(even if not much) before becoming AFK.  AFK can be caused as much by disconnection as it can by willful intent.

So they are classed AFK only on a win ( instant destroy)and not a loss when all friendlies are killed?    I died at beginning of match.   Sat and watched a tank sit at spawn .  They did not move the turret  did not move their tank , did not take a shot,( battle result zero movement zero shots)  and they are not classed AFK when they are the last tank  and killed by enemy?

SlTZKRlEG #12 Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 52363 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 22 April 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Popular topic today. AFK players do not earn any Silver or XP.

The dev team definition of AFK and that of many of the player base differs significantly.  Your team (possibly you yourself?) are on record stating that someone who AFK's 90% of the match and just springs to life at the very end after the entire team is dead and they're finally taking damage sitting in the spawn is just playing differently and not AFKing.  Someone who just fires off a shot and moves a bit at the beginning of the match and then goes AFK after a few seconds also doesn't blow up either.  Your system for catching and penalizing players who ruin the experience for the rest of the playerbase is quite poor IMO. 

Sometimes you don't even need to do even that tiny bit.  Here is a screenshot of one of *MY* post game screens where my console froze during the initial match loading screen.  It was late at night as the time stamp shows and I decided to just go to bed instead of rebooting, restarting, reloading, and playing the match.  The next day I was curious to see the AFK system working as intended and checked out what my last match score was.  Imagine my surprise when the match that I disconnected from during a loading screen crash awarded me both xp and silver despite never moving, firing, spotting, or doing anything the entire match as my console was literally turned off. 

SlTZKRlEG #13 Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 52363 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 22 April 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yup, they only need to contribute by firing off a shot or moving 0.01 miles to get around the system.   Working as intended for alternate play!  Sometimes you don't even need to do that (see my post above).

MaxChaos24 #14 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12569 battles

View PostSlTZKRlEG, on 22 April 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

The dev team definition of AFK and that of many of the player base differs significantly.  Your team (possibly you yourself?) are on record stating that someone who AFK's 90% of the match and just springs to life at the very end after the entire team is dead and they're finally taking damage sitting in the spawn is just playing differently and not AFKing.  Someone who just fires off a shot and moves a bit at the beginning of the match and then goes AFK after a few seconds also doesn't blow up either.  Your system for catching and penalizing players who ruin the experience for the rest of the playerbase is quite poor IMO. 

Sometimes you don't even need to do even that tiny bit.  Here is a screenshot of one of *MY* post game screens where my console froze during the initial match loading screen.  It was late at night and I decided to just go to bed instead of restarting, reloading, and playing the match.  The next day I was curious to see the AFK system working as intended and checked out what my last match score was.  Imagine my surprise when the match that I disconnected from during a loading screen crash game me both xp and silver despite never moving, firing, spotting, or doing anything the entire match as my console was literally turned off.

The dev team definition of AFK and that of many of the player base differs significantly.  Your team (possibly you yourself?) are on record stating that someone who AFK's 90% of the match and just springs to life at the very end after the entire team is dead and they're finally taking damage sitting in the spawn is just playing differently and not AFKing.

• To me, that sounds like someone who launched into battle, forgot, then their controller starts vibrating from the damage at which point  they realize they are in the battle so they try to play. Sounds like a "life happens" moment. I've been there and done it myself and sure that a lot of other players have as well. 

Someone who just fires off a shot and moves a bit at the beginning of the match and then goes AFK after a few seconds also doesn't blow up either.  Your system for catching and penalizing players who ruin the experience for the rest of the playerbase is quite poor IMO. 

• AFKers don't blow up. People who quit back to the garage while still alive are the ones that blow up. 
  • Someone who fires off rounds / moves a small distance in an attempt to bypass the automated detection system are still detected by us and they receive harsher punishments (Game bans) as they are doing it on purpose, not accidentally. 

Your screenshot and story sounds like you were disconnected, not AFK. There is a difference between these and getting disconnected is not a punishable offense. 

Saerbhreathach #15 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:11 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21897 battles

No point in bringing this up, WGc simply don't care and the fact that they're proud of the piss poor, easily manipulated system makes it even sadder...

To prove my point just read Max's post just above mine. It's almost like he doesn't even play the game or is playing dumb...

SlTZKRlEG #16 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 52363 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 22 April 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

The dev team definition of AFK and that of many of the player base differs significantly.  Your team (possibly you yourself?) are on record stating that someone who AFK's 90% of the match and just springs to life at the very end after the entire team is dead and they're finally taking damage sitting in the spawn is just playing differently and not AFKing.

• To me, that sounds like someone who launched into battle, forgot, then their controller starts vibrating from the damage at which point  they realize they are in the battle so they try to play. Sounds like a "life happens" moment. I've been there and done it myself and sure that a lot of other players have as well. 

Someone who just fires off a shot and moves a bit at the beginning of the match and then goes AFK after a few seconds also doesn't blow up either.  Your system for catching and penalizing players who ruin the experience for the rest of the playerbase is quite poor IMO. 

• AFKers don't blow up. People who quit back to the garage while still alive are the ones that that blow up. 
  • Someone who fires off rounds / moves a small distance in an attempt to bypass the automated detection system are still detected by us and they receive harsher punishments (Game bans) as they are doing it on purpose, not accidentally. 

Your screenshot and story sounds like you were disconnected, not AFK. There is a difference between these and getting disconnected is not a punishable offense. 

You may be surprised to find out that "life happening" is something that some players can and will repeatedly abuse at the expense of their teammates.  I've seen players who repeatedly do the things mentioned above over the course of a single night (including from one match to the very next).  Instead of calling it an anti-AFK system, you should instead refer to it as an anti-if you're stupid enough to voluntarily exit instead of dashboarding or just waiting till the last 15 seconds of the match system.  That's a bit more accurate if albeit too wordy. 

GrooIsNoLackey #17 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20390 battles

Do people actually believe that there is this large population of people who log into a game start a battle and go do something else and return and repeat? The 150 gold from the long haul would be worth all the effort? It seems like a lot of effort to check back to see when the game was done in order to start the process over again. Sure there may be a few of these people but from the sounds of it it's a rampant problem that probably doesn't really exist. 

Hiding until near the end of a match is a valid strategy. I'm not so sure it's a good one.

MayorDaley1 #18 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12998 battles

Max, what is the threshold for determining who is penalized as AWK?  That looks where the disconnect for players lies.  If someone does not move, spot enemies or take damage, is that AWK?  If someone does not move (or otherwise participate) yet deflects a shot prior to getting killed, is that AWK?  If someone does not move (or otherwise participate) and spots an enemy as they drive by, is that AWK?  Also, do AWK penalties remove that game's progress toward rewards, like "Get X if your team wins"

What would help us players is to see the implementation of AWK penalties on the game summary.  It is frustrating to know that you had a bad game, yet the guy who did not participate may have received more XP.  Let us see the 0 XP credits for AWK so we don't have to assume/guess, one way or the other, what is truly considered unethical gameplay.  Visible penalties should have some deterrent effect and lower the incidence of posts like mine where we question if what we see on screen is what is actually happening.

SlTZKRlEG #19 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 52363 battles

View PostGrooIsNoLackey, on 22 April 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

Do people actually believe that there is this large population of people who log into a game start a battle and go do something else and return and repeat? The 150 gold from the long haul would be worth all the effort? It seems like a lot of effort to check back to see when the game was done in order to start the process over again. Sure there may be a few of these people but from the sounds of it it's a rampant problem that probably doesn't really exist. 

Hiding until near the end of a match is a valid strategy. I'm not so sure it's a good one.

For people with no money or morals and lots of time, yes.. that 150 gold is worth it.  Just grinding a tank while doing something else for an evening even without any gold reward ops is worth it for them.  Also, it doesn't have to be a "large population of people" for it to be a problem as each single person doing it can negatively impact the experience for hundreds of other players.  One person doing it on one team affects 14 others in a single match.  If the average match is 10 minutes (a guess on my part) and the AFKer plays an entire evening (4 hours), that's 336 other players who had an AFKer on their team at some point if not repeatedly given the small population that the game has on an average evening.  I'm obviously not including the enemy team as afk'ers are technically a benefit to them.  Will everyone notice or even care if they do?  No, of course not.. but it doesn't change the fact that they could have gotten more rewards/wins potentially if that player had been penalized properly over the course of their game career and instead was actually playing (even if badly).  There have been times where people posted links to players with tens of thousands of games like that as well (and gotten banned for stat shaming on the forums as a result) where it's evident from the average damage per game that the player rarely if ever actually plays (and that it's not just bad strategy on their part).  You don't need legions of AFKers to build resentment in many others.

GrooIsNoLackey #20 Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20390 battles
How do you even know someone is AFK? I have seen icons grey and assumed that was a log in issue and not an AFKer. I wouldn't even know what an AFK looks like. Most people wouldn't know the difference between someone who AFKed and someone who was camping the base.

Also tagged with awk, truth

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users