Tracking is broken, why does nobody seem to understand?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

RabidSasquatch0 #1 Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:30 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

I can eat a t92 ap shell with my lol tracktor and only take track damage, no tracking, but a pz1c can 1 shot track a maus.

This is the absolute extreme, but I'll buy this long before anyone tries to convince me there's any rhyme or reason to tracking.

From what I've been told

• Based on tank's track module health
  • The damage of the shell hitting it

Thats it.  No angling your tracks, no penetration mechanics (HE just does more damage than AP, every time, by this logic), and it doesn't matter where you hit the tracks.  A drivewheel is just as likely to track as a donked shot that flew under the tank.

But this is total [edited].  I've never seen this work.  My maus gets 1 shot tracked by a 75mm autoloading french light tank (are you telling me the maus has the lowest track health of any tank in the game?  That's still what I call broken), but my Sheridan can and does eat deathstar shells to the tracks like they're nothing.

This is clearly broken, unless the intended method is that every shot to any tanks tracks has a coinflip attached, and all are equally likely to track, because that's certainly how it feels (and is also not a good method either).

I'm sick and tired of getting double tracked by low caliber autoloaders when I can't track anything with any of my single shot guns (jageroo? Nope).

Before someone tells me to git gud, I want an accurate, in depth explanation of how tracking works, because every time I ask I get someone saying "you shoot the tracks and they come off"- that clearly isn't how this works, and nobody, of the hundreds I've asked in game or on here, has been able to explain why this is so.

I'd like to say rant over, but tomorrow someone's gonna track me, and the next day, and I still won't know why, or how, they seem to be able to pull off this mystical mechanic that should be straightforward to everyone playing the game.

Schiavoser #2 Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36112 battles

Git gud

...you dared readers to not say this, so I just had to

Schiavoser #3 Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36112 battles
How does a crew repair a broken track in fewer than 10 seconds without exiting the tank? Tracking doesn't make sense. Don't try to make sense of it. Being tracked over and over by a little tank can be a nuissance, but it doesn't happen every game. And I like it at times. It is a way for a little tank to be useful for his team versus an otherwise OP enemy.

RabidSasquatch0 #4 Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:51 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostSchiavoser, on 25 April 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Git gud

...you dared readers to not say this, so I just had to

i mean someone was gonna do it anyway, atleast I can get a chuckle out of this.

RabidSasquatch0 #5 Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:57 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostSchiavoser, on 25 April 2019 - 05:51 PM, said:

How does a crew repair a broken track in fewer than 10 seconds without exiting the tank? Tracking doesn't make sense. Don't try to make sense of it. Being tracked over and over by a little tank can be a nuissance, but it doesn't happen every game. And I like it at times. It is a way for a little tank to be useful for his team versus an otherwise OP enemy.

Sidescraping tier 10 TD's and getting tons of track damsge, but not getting tracked (>5k blocked), would be fine.  Having a light tank rush and knock it off the next shot, would also be fine.  But when I use a repair kit (back at 100% health, and it gets 1 shot tracked the next shot from that light tank (<2 seconds later), that's where it gets rediculous.

And this happens.

All

The

Time.

I can't got more than 3 games without this just being as absurd as the above scenario, or worse.  It's inconsistent, which is much worse than unrealistic.  I cant improve how I play, I can't get better at the game because I fundamentally don't understand it.  Repair times I get, they're constant.  I can always know when somebody's track will be up

EL3PHANT RID3RS #6 Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:05 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 26264 battles
  • [FLT]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 25 April 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

I can eat a t92 ap shell with my lol tracktor and only take track damage, no tracking, but a pz1c can 1 shot track a maus.

Being completely serious here. Long ago when you could fail platoon a tier I into a tierX battle,  I had a LTraktor pull in front of my 183 and stop. I hit him with a  $8,000 round that only tracked it. I was expecting it to fly out of the map when I pulled the trigger. 

RabidSasquatch0 #7 Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:06 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostEL3PHANT RID3RS, on 25 April 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Being completely serious here. Long ago when you could fail platoon a tier I into a tierX battle,  I had a LTraktor pull in front of my 183 and stop. I hit him with a  $8,000 round that only tracked it. I was expecting it to fly out of the map when I pulled the trigger. 

my luck?  I'd do track damage, but he'd keep going.

Schiavoser #8 Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:23 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 36112 battles

View PostEL3PHANT RID3RS, on 25 April 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

I hit the broadside of an Obj277 with a HESH point-blank for fewer than 30 points of damage a couple days ago. Not as bad as whiffing versus a T1 but so disappointing nonetheless.

M4ntiX #9 Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:25 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27032 battles
  • [JOCO]

I haven't noticed anything broken with tracking.

Obviously, not mentioning light tank tracks, also know as the thickest armor in the game that's capable of absorbing any shell fired at it. ;)

Oh and since you asked, git gud.

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

Pontiac Pat #10 Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:38 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 24700 battles
  • [47R]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 25 April 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

But when I use a repair kit (back at 100% health, and it gets 1 shot tracked the next shot from that light tank (<2 seconds later), that's where it gets rediculous.

And this happens.

All

The

Time.

Get the video and prove it.  Yes, we've all had moments where we scratch our heads and wonder how that happened.  Usually, when you watch the replay, you can find out what actually happened and find out it wasn't what you thought at the time.  So, next time you think it's not working right get it on video, get the replay on video too.  That way you can analyze it more carefully, as can the rest of us.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

RabidSasquatch0 #11 Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:09 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 25 April 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

Get the video and prove it.  Yes, we've all had moments where we scratch our heads and wonder how that happened.  Usually, when you watch the replay, you can find out what actually happened and find out it wasn't what you thought at the time.  So, next time you think it's not working right get it on video, get the replay on video too.  That way you can analyze it more carefully, as can the rest of us.

have, several times.  I'll outline the most blatant example I've found-

T10 trying to ram a tracked t54 lightweight, he shoots me once (was already damaged) and tracks me, no biggie, use a repair kit, keep barreling at him, boom!  One more shot from him and I'm insta tracked.  I try to shoot him, miss, do track damage (at this point his tracks are back up, not from a repair kit as far as I can tell), but he only takes track damage and doesn't get tracked.

Nobody else could have hit me, nobody was around us.  I've rewatched that video a dozen times and the only explanation is that a t54 lightweight does more tracking damage than a t10....  Which makes no sense....

Maybe 1/3 of the time its something I overlook, but a lot of the time it's 1 on 1 situations where there are no outside variables.  Any instance of this is too much, but I'm not kidding when I say it's atleast every 3 games.

MrStabby1981 #12 Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:22 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16034 battles

View PostEL3PHANT RID3RS, on 25 April 2019 - 11:05 PM, said:

I was messing about in training with a friend and bounced a KV 5 shot off his Pz2 J

MOE * M4, M4A3E2, M4A2E4, Fury, T20, Freedom, M26, T14, Pz. IV H, VK 30.01 (P), Pz. V/M10, Champion, Cap KV1, Tiger (P), VK 100.01 (P), KV1, Churchill III, KV5, S-51, Churchill I, BDR G1 B, Type T34

MOE ** RAM II, Ripper 

zZGROGZz #13 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:04 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19028 battles

Have you tried training track mechanic alongside repairs on your crews? Those two skills along with a toolbox in your consumables bring your tracks back up in a couple of seconds, maybe a little more.

Beyond that, tracking and tracks have always been the same afaik.

!KING OF THE POTATO SKRUBLORDS!

USSWISCONSIN94 #14 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:11 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11573 battles
  • [47R]

View PostMrStabby1981, on 26 April 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

I was messing about in training with a friend and bounced a KV 5 shot off his Pz2 J

So? If it has more than than enough armor. it can bounce the 107mm and never be overmatched. and it can still bounce as it has some armor.

http://www.wotinfo.n...N94&server=xbox

youtube.com/channel/UCkXtmp3Ikozzl-K73GuxxNQ

Will WG ever have WoT offline like they promised?

RabidSasquatch0 #15 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostzZGROGZz, on 26 April 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

Have you tried training track mechanic alongside repairs on your crews? Those two skills along with a toolbox in your consumables bring your tracks back up in a couple of seconds, maybe a little more.

Beyond that, tracking and tracks have always been the same afaik.

you're missing the point completely.

I'd don't care how long it takes to get untracked, its that when does a tank get tracked? Seems to be an impossible question for anyone to answer

USSWISCONSIN94 #16 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11573 battles
  • [47R]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 26 April 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

you're missing the point completely.

I'd don't care how long it takes to get untracked, its that when does a tank get tracked? Seems to be an impossible question for anyone to answer

depends on the shell caliber and size of the track. could be 1-3 shots. There's your answer.

RabidSasquatch0 #17 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:34 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostUSSWISCONSIN94, on 26 April 2019 - 01:29 AM, said:

depends on the shell caliber and size of the track. could be 1-3 shots. There's your answer.

I have ample evidence that this is a completely fictitious statement (or at the very least only plays a minor part in a much larger determining factor), with no backing and have never seen anything to support it, yet thousands of instances to refute it.

Unless you're willing to show me lines of code or complex test runs, which I can't image will support this, I don't believe you.

Nocski #18 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20219 battles

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 26 April 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

I have ample evidence that this is a completely fictitious statement, with no backing and have never seen anything to support it, yet thousands of instances to refute it.

Unless you're willing to show me lines of code or complex test runs, which I can't image will support this, I don't believe you.

Lol. 

/thread

RabidSasquatch0 #19 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:43 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20438 battles
  • [VYPER]

View PostNocski, on 26 April 2019 - 01:40 AM, said:

Lol. 

/thread

You can't tell me small caliber guns hitting big tracks take more shots to track than large caliber guns shooting small tracks, it just isn't true.  I wish it was but it's clearly not the case.  Nobody has ever provided any evidence of it being so, and I've never seen anything to support it, it's just some assumption people take as fact and spread as their own misinformation.  I'm being overzealous because it's rediculous how many people will buy this with clearly no backing.

I'd rather people admit they have no idea then continue to lie to everyone about something so crucial to gameplay.

EDIT: truth be told I'd be happier hearing anything different, the truth would be nice, but seeing as WG is the only one who can answer that I doubt I'll get it, but even just a "yeah it's 100% rng, has nothing to do with either tank" or "there's only a 10% chance you'll actually get tracked, flat for every tank" or even "yeah it's predetermined at the beginning of the game, only prime damage roll numbers get tracked" or something stupid like that would be more believable to me.

Sigh, Im not expecting an answer, it's just frustrating being the only one to think that the one we're told isn't right.

USSWISCONSIN94 #20 Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:12 AM

Major

• Players
  • 11573 battles
  • [47R]

View PostRabidSasquatch0, on 26 April 2019 - 01:34 AM, said:

I have ample evidence that this is a completely fictitious statement (or at the very least only plays a minor part in a much larger determining factor), with no backing and have never seen anything to support it, yet thousands of instances to refute it.

You do know just how much irony what you just said right? Look up some videos and it will show you. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users