• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Phantomaly #1 Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 20619 battles
  • [PRIME]

The Machine

The Machine is quite frankly a very novel tank. A chieftains turret, a french 50 B hull (which has pretty good frontal armor), and an auto loader to boot! And man, it's fast! Of all the heavies, this one is definitely the most mobile. However, this is kind of where the best parts of the machine end. Let's talk about how the tank plays. After 50 games in the tank, I have noticed that this tank absolutely cannot fill the average heavy tank role. 

The Armor

Although its frontal armor is great, there are some pretty glaring weak points i.e. the thin angled plates on the front above the tracks and anywhere that is not the front plate. The Chieftain's turret is a saving grace of this tank, allowing it to go hull down quite nicely and fire from the comfort of knowing the relative safety of the turret. 

The Gun

Pros: The gun is the auto loading TVP T 50/51. This gun is fantastic when it comes to flanking shots. See a pesky medium tank flanking your team? Go ahead and counter flank! A full clip will do about 1200 damage which is usually enough to dissuade any lightly armored vehicles from coming any closer. The reload is a bit slow at a base 28 seconds but can be brought down to 26.13 seconds with Brothers in Arms and some Improved Ventilation. Oh, and the rate of fire? Unloads at a nice 1.5 seconds intra-clip reload. However, you must be fairly close to your target to not miss any shots during a clip dump (which takes 6 seconds) as the aim time is 2.2 seconds. This causes the bloom to expand more and more with every shot. 

Cons: This is a medium tank gun, a 100mm. This means that it struggles with penetrating thick armor. So even though its a heavy, it cannot engage other heavies very effectively. Even with heat The Machine struggles with penetrating the lower plate of heavies like the E100 or IS-7. If it cannot flank its heavily armored targets, The Machine might as well move on and look for some other lightly armored prey. 

The Mobility

This tank is fast! No doubt among the fastest of heavy tanks. Climbs up to 67 kmph with decent ground resistances. Track rotation is adequate enough to avoid light tanks from nicking your thin side armor as they try to circle you. This mobility is especially helpful in allowing you to weaponize the 58.6 tonnes of steel in ramming the medium tanks that you just can't clip out. 

The Playstyle

This tank has a flanking focused play style. Use that speed to zoom past the fight and get some quick shots in and get out of dodge before a deathstar sees you. See an enemy light tank playing a little too aggressively? Go get 'em! Got a medium tank shooting the sides of your heavies? Dump your clip as you ram 'em! This method of taking down medium tanks works really well with The Machine. But don't you dare miss! Missing the ram completely sucks as now your side armor is completely exposed to that medium tank (who probably now knows you're there). If you find yourself facing a well armored opponent head on or an opponent who is hull down, your best option is to flank. 

The Verdict

This tank is very well balanced. Some games you can push 6k damage, and some games you get completely decimated in the first conflict. It can hardly be considered overpowered, the ammo rack loves to get damaged and anyone that puts a shot through your rear plate can expect to set you on fire. Yet when you are in The Machine's element, you can dish out some serious pain. It's a great flanker and not such a good brawler. Play it accordingly and you will have a good time!

ATHFjman18 #2 Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 18779 battles
  • [JOCO]
Nice little breakdown. Signed the contract, as no other Merc tanks (that I don’t have already) interest me. But I’m not overly worried if I don’t ever finish the contract...

DwarfOnDrugs #3 Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32358 battles
  • [-UNL-]
The tank looks godly given the driver has good map awareness

Sammael85 #4 Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 26107 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostDwarfOnDrugs, on 26 April 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

The tank looks godly given the driver has good map awareness

Something in which most of the playerbase fails miserabily

JAG THE GEMINI #5 Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:35 PM

Major

• Players
  • 65211 battles
  • [FAUST]
Neat verdict about the machine, kudos :honoring:

Edited by JAG THE GEMINI, 26 April 2019 - 11:35 PM.

My youtube channel:https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

PoopStopsHere #6 Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:46 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 30603 battles
  • [PCP]
Thanks for info/review.  Sounds like a good heavy tank, but plays like a quick medium ;)

fozfactor #7 Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 59018 battles

Thanks for the review. :great:

I'm excited to acquire at some point. And glad you mentioned ramming. ~2k+ damage potential in less than 5 seconds is pretty intense. Clutch Braking is helpful in not missing the target, and Controlled Impact adds some significant damage. One thing I remember from the 50B is that the auto-aim of many tanks at the front of the tank put the enemy shell right at the thickest part of the hull beak which pretty much nullifies any tier 10's first un-aimed shot.

non nobis solum

fozfactor #8 Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 59018 battles

View PostPhantomaly, on 26 April 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

This mobility is especially helpful in allowing you to weaponize the 58.6 tonnes of steel in ramming the medium tanks that you just can't clip out. 

This advice should not be understated. A clip from from my first Machine frag:

Spoiler

Unfortunately this player did not take advantage of this asset. He caught me from behind with my pants down and I shoulda been a slam dunk into the grave. Not trying to knock the player but his is a cautionary tale and evident what happens when one over extends without having thought through their game plan: Ram 'em + track 'em (in any order), then shoot 'em. :playing:

non nobis solum

Knipsel CrunchU #9 Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 37380 battles
  • [RAM-U]
thx, almost done with stage 5

ProPAINdelivery #10 Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12439 battles
  • [B0NE]
Honestly this is not a hard contract as long as you have 90 days to do it. I recommend trying it. I have made soooooo much silver. I also have made it possible to unlock two tier nine tanks. I have the bat chat med and the obj 705 almost in my garage. Very good contract. I tried twitch on tusk. Gave up... such a bad contract. Needs more ability to earn it. But the Machine has me excited!

Albapfalzd3 #11 Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 23511 battles

View PostProPAINdelivery, on 11 May 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:

Honestly this is not a hard contract as long as you have 90 days to do it. I recommend trying it. I have made soooooo much silver. I also have made it possible to unlock two tier nine tanks. I have the bat chat med and the obj 705 almost in my garage. Very good contract. I tried twitch on tusk. Gave up... such a bad contract. Needs more ability to earn it. But the Machine has me excited!

Yeah I am well into Stage 8 now and so far have finished up the Obj. 257, and AMX 50 100. I have started the Obj. 416 and AMX 50 120 and am also hoping to finish the Centurion 7/1, Conqueror (partially), ST-1, and Skoda T50. I will also be buying the Lorraine 40T once I get the crew ready which should be shortly. I think with the tanks I have and the amount of XP required to finish this OP I could finish the Grinds on all of them save two. That will leave me these Tier X ready to buy when they have the next X sale, FV4202, Chieftain, IS-7 (already unlocked), IS-4, TVP T50/51, AMX 50B, Bat Chat 25T, and Obj. 230U. I won't be able to finish the Conqueror to FV215b grind, the Obj. 430II to Obj. 430 or Obj. 430II to K91. All this will be done during this Contract I hope. 

Roy

LordWilliam71 #12 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14072 battles
  • [JOCO]
I couldn't agree more with the Summary and especially the Verdict. Great tank but the superb mobility is getting me into trouble. :facepalm: 

Co D Dragon 246 #13 Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:58 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 23497 battles
  • [A7CAV]

I quit playing WOT from late December until the end of March this year.  Got tired of stupid teams all going in one direction, mostly.  

Started playing again and realized the Machine contract was available, so dove right in.  

It's been a fun grind.  I'm about half way through stage 10.  Best part has been working my way up the French auto loader artillery and heavy lines.  I have learned some hard lessons fighting with the AMX 50 120 and the 50 B.  Don't get spotted.  Don't get spotted.  Did I say don't get spotted?  Everyone seems to know how vulnerable these vehicles are and do they take advantage of it.  Unless it's a city battle, best strategy is to find a high hide right away, behind a big bush or knock down a bunch of trees.  Distance has been my friend.  I can usually unload 2 or 3 magazines before they spot me, doing a bunch of damage and then it's relocate time.  City/small map battles I try to follow a medium wolf pack and help it out by flanking if possible.  

I've only had a handful of buttholes that think ALL heavy tanks have to go blasting right up to the front.  I don't listen anymore.  Party of one, everyone muted, all messages deleted and senders blocked.  

I play for me.  No one else.  

SuperSherman44 #14 Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22321 battles

View PostCo D Dragon 246, on 31 July 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

I quit playing WOT from late December until the end of March this year.  Got tired of stupid teams all going in one direction, mostly.  

Started playing again and realized the Machine contract was available, so dove right in.  

It's been a fun grind.  I'm about half way through stage 10.  Best part has been working my way up the French auto loader artillery and heavy lines.  I have learned some hard lessons fighting with the AMX 50 120 and the 50 B.  Don't get spotted.  Don't get spotted.  Did I say don't get spotted?  Everyone seems to know how vulnerable these vehicles are and do they take advantage of it.  Unless it's a city battle, best strategy is to find a high hide right away, behind a big bush or knock down a bunch of trees.  Distance has been my friend.  I can usually unload 2 or 3 magazines before they spot me, doing a bunch of damage and then it's relocate time.  City/small map battles I try to follow a medium wolf pack and help it out by flanking if possible.  

I've only had a handful of buttholes that think ALL heavy tanks have to go blasting right up to the front.  I don't listen anymore.  Party of one, everyone muted, all messages deleted and senders blocked.  

I play for me.  No one else.  

Agree you have to play for yourself most of the time. The only people that have you back are your trusted platoon members. Besides that you gotta look out for number 1.https://www.youtube....h?v=PfYnvDL0Qcw:trollface: Idek

I Heart The Sherman (Best tank of WWII)

I got a new Xbox One S so I'm really excited!

R.I.P. Xbox 360 E ~2014-2019

LignoTestudon #15 Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:13 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5657 battles
  • [D7CAV]

View PostPhantomaly, on 26 April 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

The Machine

The Machine is quite frankly a very novel tank. A chieftains turret, a french 50 B hull (which has pretty good frontal armor), and an auto loader to boot! And man, it's fast! Of all the heavies, this one is definitely the most mobile. However, this is kind of where the best parts of the machine end. Let's talk about how the tank plays. After 50 games in the tank, I have noticed that this tank absolutely cannot fill the average heavy tank role. 

The Armor

Although its frontal armor is great, there are some pretty glaring weak points i.e. the thin angled plates on the front above the tracks and anywhere that is not the front plate. The Chieftain's turret is a saving grace of this tank, allowing it to go hull down quite nicely and fire from the comfort of knowing the relative safety of the turret. 

The Gun

Pros: The gun is the auto loading TVP T 50/51. This gun is fantastic when it comes to flanking shots. See a pesky medium tank flanking your team? Go ahead and counter flank! A full clip will do about 1200 damage which is usually enough to dissuade any lightly armored vehicles from coming any closer. The reload is a bit slow at a base 28 seconds but can be brought down to 26.13 seconds with Brothers in Arms and some Improved Ventilation. Oh, and the rate of fire? Unloads at a nice 1.5 seconds intra-clip reload. However, you must be fairly close to your target to not miss any shots during a clip dump (which takes 6 seconds) as the aim time is 2.2 seconds. This causes the bloom to expand more and more with every shot. 

Cons: This is a medium tank gun, a 100mm. This means that it struggles with penetrating thick armor. So even though its a heavy, it cannot engage other heavies very effectively. Even with heat The Machine struggles with penetrating the lower plate of heavies like the E100 or IS-7. If it cannot flank its heavily armored targets, The Machine might as well move on and look for some other lightly armored prey. 

The Mobility

This tank is fast! No doubt among the fastest of heavy tanks. Climbs up to 67 kmph with decent ground resistances. Track rotation is adequate enough to avoid light tanks from nicking your thin side armor as they try to circle you. This mobility is especially helpful in allowing you to weaponize the 58.6 tonnes of steel in ramming the medium tanks that you just can't clip out. 

The Playstyle

This tank has a flanking focused play style. Use that speed to zoom past the fight and get some quick shots in and get out of dodge before a deathstar sees you. See an enemy light tank playing a little too aggressively? Go get 'em! Got a medium tank shooting the sides of your heavies? Dump your clip as you ram 'em! This method of taking down medium tanks works really well with The Machine. But don't you dare miss! Missing the ram completely sucks as now your side armor is completely exposed to that medium tank (who probably now knows you're there). If you find yourself facing a well armored opponent head on or an opponent who is hull down, your best option is to flank. 

The Verdict

This tank is very well balanced. Some games you can push 6k damage, and some games you get completely decimated in the first conflict. It can hardly be considered overpowered, the ammo rack loves to get damaged and anyone that puts a shot through your rear plate can expect to set you on fire. Yet when you are in The Machine's element, you can dish out some serious pain. It's a great flanker and not such a good brawler. Play it accordingly and you will have a good time!

Very good explanations there.

Ghoest9 #16 Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 17519 battles

This is the most broken tank in the game. Against other heavies - its fine. 

But played properly it dominates maps like no other. Because its actually medium(a very fast medium) thats as tough as a heavy.

Galy10 #17 Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 17672 battles
  • [TRASH]

View PostGhoest9, on 06 August 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

This is the most broken tank in the game. Against other heavies - its fine. 

But played properly it dominates maps like no other. Because its actually medium(a very fast medium) thats as tough as a heavy.

Yep this tank is just hilarious. Looks underwelming but it will tear your face off when looked at funny.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users