Is there such a thing as Camping in WOT? Debate

camping heavy heavies camping

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Koncorde #21 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24815 battles

Camping is when your rationale for what you are doing does not involve looking for, shooting at, or at the very least intimidating the enemy in some way, nor taking up a position that offers firing lines, cover, and superior control over the map.

I don't mind heavies hanging back, I don't mind them conserving their hit points, I don't mind tanks that are even way out on a limb off scouting some empty part of the map, because I assume that they are doing whatever they are doing because they're about to explode into action with the force of a hurricane and sweep all before them.

That happens approximately never, and instead what happens is the enemy heavies meet our mediums and survive by mix of frontal armour, and hitpoints. They then trundle up to our tank destroyers who take a few heavies out, but are circled by the mediums and lights, who have probably eliminated any artillery, which leaves our couple of lazy heavies vs 6 or 7 relatively healthy tanks.

The only hope at this point is that our own lights have broken through and are capping, or that a couple of mediums fell back until in a suitable shooting position to hold the push off and whittle numbers down until it's about even.

Ronin Gaidin #22 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35405 battles

View PostFromBravo2Kilo, on 29 April 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

I either read or someone told me that the most important thing is “to have your gun in the fight.”  No matter the class or tier.  

Very true. When it comes to winning and losing, doing damage early in the game counts for a lot more than picking up a bunch of damage and kills in "garbage time" near the end of the game when the outcome is no longer in doubt. 

View PostJoco3000, on 29 April 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

I once had the misfortune to watch a 110 on my team get, if I recall correctly, a Kolobanovs and a Radley Walters, by virtue of being a top tier 110 going up against several wounded tanks.

If skill was involved, I did not see it, but now that guy probably thinks they are super awesome and infallible.

And it always makes me a bit sad when I see this kind of thing happen. They luck into their terrible decisions working out, and now they think that is the way to do things and will do the stupid thing from now until the servers shut down. Like the people that went to the valley on Lakeville and somehow won the game, now they will forever go there. :(

Cobravert #23 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27310 battles
  • [WPLAC]

Pretty much any time a tank (arty excluded) never leaves the general spawn area is camping imo.

The ones who sit way back with front line tanks, especially those in high tier are exceptionally frustrating. They wait for the fight to come to them, and by then there is no assistance left for them, for they never offered any. I've seen them even take time out to call for help on the commands, despite seeing that all their team was dead. I guess they don't know how to look at the top bar score board either.

Koncorde #24 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24815 battles

View PostRonin Gaidin, on 29 April 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:

And it always makes me a bit sad when I see this kind of thing happen. They luck into their terrible decisions working out, and now they think that is the way to do things and will do the stupid thing from now until the servers shut down. Like the people that went to the valley on Lakeville and somehow won the game, now they will forever go there. :(

For fun and frolics I have started going to the valley on Lakeville and winning. Sorry all. The best bit is when from the north spawn I get onto the hill by the rock and use my tank gun depression to shoot the enemy in the turret. However, I don't do it during Encounter. Nor when there is arty. And not if I have no frigging gun depression. From south spawn I win from the lake road if I can.

Koncorde #25 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24815 battles

View PostCobravert, on 29 April 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Pretty much any time a tank (arty excluded) never leaves the general spawn area is camping imo.

The ones who sit way back with front line tanks, especially those in high tier are exceptionally frustrating. They wait for the fight to come to them, and by then there is no assistance left for them, for they never offered any. I've seen them even take time out to call for help on the commands, despite seeing that all their team was dead. I guess they don't know how to look at the top bar score board either.

People can't read a map, can't use the compass, don't understand winning conditions, don't understand sirens or capture objectives, are unlikely to be able to contribute in their tank very much either.

Putinondafoil #26 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 73416 battles
  • [SNAFU]
When I see somebody camping I recite the world of tanks camping prayer to better understand the mindset. It goes like this, "this is my rock. There are many like it but this one is mine. Without me, my rock is useless. Without my rock, I am useless."
You can wish in one hand and crap in the other. See which fills up first. :playing:

MortDeLaPeur #27 Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 24570 battles
  • [OMCS]
I think "there is no camping in WOTs" means there are so many maps that you can get spotted at your flag within 15 seconds of the match starting.  It's hard to camp in a closet.

SPUK4U #28 Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 11028 battles
If I have to name a tank most popular among campers them it's Tiger 131. It's not uncommon to find one of these Tigers on top of the hill near the cap, specially if its tier VIII battle and map is El Hallouf.
- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

Rubbelito #29 Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 24542 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostSPUK4U, on 29 April 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

If I have to name a tank most popular among campers them it's Tiger 131. It's not uncommon to find one of these Tigers on top of the hill near the cap, specially if its tier VIII battle and map is El Hallouf.

I would say Tigers. Period.

And E75's.

Cobravert #30 Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27310 battles
  • [WPLAC]

View PostKoncorde, on 29 April 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

People can't read a map, can't use the compass, don't understand winning conditions, don't understand sirens or capture objectives, are unlikely to be able to contribute in their tank very much either.

Granted

FromBravo2Kilo #31 Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

Major

• Players
  • 21685 battles
  • [47R]

Had another just recently.  Running a 13-57 on Highway.  Was a tough call either defend cap or help cap. The red tank deployment told me the safe bet was help cap (plus we still had green tanks defending).  I run into the red Arty along with a red full health Italian.  W T ?!!!  Seriously.  The green Tiger 1that was pushing the cap backs off.  I circled, dodge and weaved the two reds with no help.  A camping center ridge T34 gets a lucky shot into me.  The Tiger 1 never even knocked out the 1 shot Italian or the red Arty.  Note: the greens lost the match to cap.  

Anyway thanks for all all the input.  It seems most are in agreement of “having your gun in the fight.”

Pit Friend #32 Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33430 battles
  • [PTATO]

Camping = surrendering the initiative. 

It can work against a mob. Against an organized team it’s pretty much a guaranteed fail. 

When the nice guy loses his patience the devil shivers. 

ThermalStone #33 Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:00 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32710 battles
  • [80085]
What is camping?  Staying in the same spot is perfectly legitimate as long as you are getting a lot of good shots.  That's how an ideal game goes:  I camp a forward pocket where I can shoot constantly and protect myself, then roll out when it's time to push.  On a map with a really good pocket like Westfield or Malinovka I might spend the first 5 or 6 minutes in the same place.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

BloodNmyCoffee2 #34 Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28298 battles
  • [-NA-]

View PosttheSwansonFTW, on 29 April 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

This is what I don't get. Why not just pick a TD?

Why play a heavy tank and then not get involved? It makes no frikkin sense.

Yeah, or why play a damn light tank and camp!?!?  As mainly a light tank player, I cant tell you how often I see this from other lights on my team.  I drives me up the wall!  And one of the most satisfying things to me is if and when I get to kill a camping light tank on the enemy team towards the end of the match.  

SightlessRogue0 #35 Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:53 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19624 battles
It depends on the time when you play, at the precise moment where I write this message it is the only thing to do, those who stand out from the line immediately return to the garage. The team that had fewer idiots in a hurry to get out of their hiding automatically win the game (frankly it's as bad as on EU server!) Is the meta of the hour. In 15minutes or 30minutes the game will probably be normal again.

I use Google translator for english language

Lots of juggling in french text, sometimes translator in trouble with that. If you do not understand what I write, tell me.

Rommels Cat #36 Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:49 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2523 battles

Doesn't seem much of a debate, 

More like 'lets trash spawn campers'

I see nothing constructive in this thread.

MarvelousGrotesqueChuckwalla-size_restri

FromBravo2Kilo #37 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 21685 battles
  • [47R]

View PostRommels Cat, on 29 April 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

Doesn't seem much of a debate, 

More like 'lets trash spawn campers'

I see nothing constructive in this thread.

MarvelousGrotesqueChuckwalla-size_restri

Fine.  That’s your opinion on the thread.  If you have a different one (or a different definition) why not share it?  If that’s all you had to offer, wt(?) offer it at all?  This thread is barely registering on the toxic scale.  

Afro Palestine #38 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:27 AM

Major

• Players
  • 56856 battles
  • [HKC]

View Postredshadowrider, on 29 April 2019 - 01:15 PM, said:

Problem with camping is that it can be successful, or at least appear to be.  If you look at the post battle reports, the campers could have done even better than those that rushed out to battle.

... usually for a loss.

Afro Palestine #39 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 56856 battles
  • [HKC]
It gets more odd when you see super heavies with 2 stripes parked in the rear... waiting...

Afro Palestine #40 Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:32 AM

Major

• Players
  • 56856 battles
  • [HKC]

View PostRubbelito, on 29 April 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

I would say Tigers. Period.

And E75's.

So weird, as I like to push when playing the Tiger.   Of course you can only push so far in an open field if you don't have a scout.

Also tagged with camping heavy, heavies, camping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users