Is repairs a must have skill or is it useless...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Gallant Prime #1 Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:41 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45776 battles
  • [47R]

Long time ago it seemed repairs was one of the first 4-5 must have skills.  Many often argued it was maybe even the first skill that should be trained.

Is that true anymore?

It seems to me that I almost never use it.  If my tracks are taken out, I can't remember a time when I waited for them to repair before using a repair kit.  If my gun barrel is damaged--->repair kit as having really crappy accuracy with a repaired gun is, well, crappy.  Ammo rack-->repair kit (not that repairs helps with this at all). 

Almost nothing else is worthy of a repair kit and if it is not immediate, then waiting for a repair without repairs or with repairs is just a matter of a few seconds.

So I ask, what is the value of repairs?  The tracks would seem about the only thing, but it feels in current game play to take too long.  It seems that if I wait those extra seconds to let repairs work (only speeds up your track repair) instead of using a repair kit, then I get blasted.  I have track repair added to it as well on some tanks and that seems to be better but not enough that I want to hang out and wait before using a repair kit.

So has the gameplay of lemmings and campers affected the value of repairs?  Is it still worthy as a first skill?  Still worthy of a first 5?  Is repairs and track repairs just doubly dubious?

Kaboost #2 Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:59 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15375 battles
  • [JOCO]

Yes but if you can only have the luxury of picking one skill I’m picking Track Mechanic over it. TM repairs tracks faster and there is times when you can wait for that to repair. Use a repair kit for the other stuff.

^ This information has been proven incorrect

Edited by Kaboost, 03 May 2019 - 01:05 PM.

Lights tanks need rebalanced(again)

​Update 4.2 and 4.6 were terrible

DANCING FLAMES #3 Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 41879 battles
Funny but Ive noticed the same. I have been passing on repairs, it really seems somewhat pointless as you point out and havent missed not having it. 

Pontiac Pat #4 Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:32 AM

Major

• WoTC Tournaments Contributor
  • 25777 battles
  • [47R]

View PostKaboost, on 02 May 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yes but if you can only have the luxury of picking one skill I’m picking Track Mechanic over it. TM repairs tracks faster and there is times when you can wait for that to repair. Use a repair kit for the other stuff.

That is simply incorrect.  Repairs cuts your track repair time by 50% when fully trained.  TM only reduces it by 20%.

As for the original question - to me it really depends on the tank.  For casemate TDs it's an absolute must have.  For heavies it's in the first 4.  For mediums/lights it can wait a bit.

If you want to be one of the 47 Ronin check out our recruitment post and then send a message to Prof935 (xbox) or dimka935 (ps4).

Estimated Marks of Excellence thresholds - https://wotclans.com.br/tanks/moe

Gallant Prime #5 Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:35 AM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 45776 battles
  • [47R]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 02 May 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

That is simply incorrect.  Repairs cuts your track repair time by 50% when fully trained.  TM only reduces it by 20%.

As for the original question - to me it really depends on the tank.  For casemate TDs it's an absolute must have.  For heavies it's in the first 4.  For mediums/lights it can wait a bit.

Interesting you said casemate TDs. 

Perhaps my recent play with the Chinese T9 TD has influenced this thought somewhat.  Usually kept myself in position to avoid flanking because of the weak sides, it turns reasonable well and has a bit of quickness, and many a time I would have to wait for a reload if I was tracked.  The frontal armor was good enough that being tracked from the front did not worry me and usually in the early game I was charging with teammates so getting flanked did not happen.  I remember sitting around waiting on the tracks and reload to smack the red again.  

I've been considering taking it off to see, and perhaps I may experiment with some of those lights and mediums.  I have a Bogatyr crew I'm training up that I can experiment on.   

ATHFjman18 #6 Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:43 AM

Major

• Players
  • 18686 battles
  • [JOCO]

Still relatively common Top 5 skill for me. What happens when you’ve used your repair kit already? I’d like to have the speed to repair broken tracks or a destroyed gun faster to be able to get back into the fight. 

It also gives you have a better chance to save the repair kit if you know you can get away with doing so. For example: arty splashes tracks, but you are in cover.

Also those graceful RNG moments when you get ammo racked and tracked at the same time. I’d rather use repairs for the tracks to spend the repair kit to fix the ammo rack. 

Its all situational of course, but it’s nice to know the repair process is sped up without having to waste an equipment slot on a toolbox...

Brute Bassie #7 Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26513 battles
On lights and sneaky TD's Repairs is my 8th skill. On heavies, casemate TD's and mediums, it's my 3rd skill, after SS and BIA. On heavies and casemate TD's I also take Track Mechanic as 4th skill, on mediums and lights TM is a lower priority (9th-12th skill).

Catfishguy1977 #8 Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12850 battles
Repairs is not usually in my top 5, it's in my top 10 for all crews.

Koncorde #9 Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:29 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24999 battles
It's more relevant for those tanks that are made of tracks, and slow in any case so susceptible to arty and prolonged fire. Churchill's, AT2 onwards. Also any autoloader needs to be able to escape quickly.

Sadriel Fett #10 Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:31 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 28277 battles
  • [DARMY]
Always train Repairs in my top 5, then Track Mechanic a couple skills afterwards.  Definitely worth it, especially if you have both of those skills, BIA, and a large repair kit.

~ "This game would be great, if it wasn't for our teammates." ~

~ There's no such thing as Arty Safe. You have to play Arty Aware. You have to play SmArty. ~

Haukkis #11 Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Major

• Players
  • 34544 battles

View PostSadriel Fett, on 03 May 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Always train Repairs in my top 5, then Track Mechanic a couple skills afterwards.  Definitely worth it, especially if you have both of those skills, BIA, and a large repair kit.

This. Although I rank both Repairs and Track Mechanic in top 5 skills, at least for heavies and many td's and some mediums.

Xenith_Inc #12 Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6951 battles

Anything slow that needs to keep moving and gets tracked a lot - Churchills, etc.

I tend to prioritise the high% improvement skills first: repairs  with 100% improvement, and camo with 80% improvement, based on tank type. Camo on a second line heavy with 400m VR still gives you a huge benefit in a mirror match. 

After that I prioritise passive skills over active - so ones that boost my tank without me having to do anything:

Track mechanic - you need to be hit

snap shot - you need to be firing

situational awareness - always on. 

CB/ORD - Always on.

Always-on low % gain view range skills vs only when firing shooting skills (snap shot, smooth ride) is the hardest choice for me, usually on a tank by tank basis.

I only bother with repairs on a med/light crew if I want them to use a heavy premium. 

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

My YouTube Channel

JelliedPenny08 #13 Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

Major

• Players
  • 16334 battles

I haven't dropped the priority of repairs in skills, but it is usually outside of the top 5 for me anyway unless for a specific tank. It's a secondary skill generally. I tend to view it more as a tier limit thing - I am less happy using a crew without repairs on tier 8+. Basically at that point the guns are bigger, but players are more likely to exploit a tracked red in view to farm them or retrack you for the assists. Saying that the Italian launch has taught me a few things about the skills I value and I am being more flexible. 

I don't think I've gotten round to training Track Mechanic on crews that didn't come with it. I tend to swap it out for other things. I agree about using consumables on guns and ammo racks, everything else can usually wait. 

SirlceCream #14 Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19453 battles
  • [4LOST]

Repairs is one of the 4 crew skills in this game you really need ( along with BIA, SS and camo). When you do not see the benefits of repairs after 40k you do something wrong.

3. Marked Tanks: 85

P6X330 #15 Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16140 battles
  • [AMXS]

As I have advocated many times, repairs is a reactive skill, it is only useful AFTER you have been damaged.

Privilege proactive skills and perks, and leave the reactive ones for last.

All my tanks are equipped with a Large, small repair kit, and a small first aid kit.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

enjamio #16 Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20686 battles
  • [YOLLO]

View PostSirlceCream, on 03 May 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Repairs is one of the 4 crew skills in this game you really need ( along with BIA, SS and camo). When you do not see the benefits of repairs after 40k you do something wrong.

I think your stats confirm you knowledge, yep both repair skills are really important if you dont want to be permatracked by a tank with a high dpm.

In fact my first 7 skills are in this order:

SS, BIA, repairs, track repair (dont know the name in english),smooth ride, snapshot, camouflage, Firefighting and Preventative Maintenance. 

So with this perks i can take one kit repair ( for gun, or ammo), first aid kit and some food. 

3 MOE : T-10, Hammer, Caernarvon, AMX 50 100, Tiger P, IS-3,Tiger II, T25/2, T 28 proto, Krafts Panther, Panther, ARL 44, Type 64, AMX Chafee, AMX 13 90, T-54 light, WZ-132, Sp. Pz.1 C,T-34-88, Legion, GUP, Conqueror, HWK12, T-54, Revalorise, VK.30.01.P, E50, AMX 30, ST-I, Obj.430 II, 50TP Prot., Centennial, Skoda T50, AMX CDC black, Obj.416, Champion panther, 110, E50M.

XPAIN commander (spanish competitive clan): YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

enjamio #17 Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20686 battles
  • [YOLLO]

View PostP6X330, on 03 May 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

As I have advocated many times, repairs is a reactive skill, it is only useful AFTER you have been damaged.

Privilege proactive skills and perks, and leave the reactive ones for last.

All my tanks are equipped with a Large, small repair kit, and a small first aid kit.

That is not true, if you have both repair perks, you dont need to take 2 kit repairs, even if you take one big kit repair, the track Will be repaired in 3 or 4 seconds so it is imposible you get permatracked, and you could use that third choice for a extintor or some food.

3 MOE : T-10, Hammer, Caernarvon, AMX 50 100, Tiger P, IS-3,Tiger II, T25/2, T 28 proto, Krafts Panther, Panther, ARL 44, Type 64, AMX Chafee, AMX 13 90, T-54 light, WZ-132, Sp. Pz.1 C,T-34-88, Legion, GUP, Conqueror, HWK12, T-54, Revalorise, VK.30.01.P, E50, AMX 30, ST-I, Obj.430 II, 50TP Prot., Centennial, Skoda T50, AMX CDC black, Obj.416, Champion panther, 110, E50M.

XPAIN commander (spanish competitive clan): YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

Kaboost #18 Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 15375 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostPontiac Pat, on 02 May 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

good to know, I always pair the two skills so I guess I never noticed.

Lights tanks need rebalanced(again)

​Update 4.2 and 4.6 were terrible

panthermark #19 Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 13358 battles

View PostSirlceCream, on 03 May 2019 - 04:55 AM, said:

Those are my first 4 as well. 

I think only once have I not had those 4....and that is when I went Sit Aware 4th, and Repairs 5th when grinding a French light.

On my Snakebite, not only does that crew have Repairs in the first 4 skills, but they also have Track Mechanic, AND it is one of my few tanks that runs Enhanced tracks.  That crew/tank also has BIA, (among other skills), Vents, and I run a small and large repair kit. 

Oddly enough, when I run that much "repair" stuff, I tend do die without ever needing to use repair kits.  

3 MOE's: VK 30.01D (VI), T-34 (V), M-24 Chaffee (V)

2 MOE's: Indien-Panzer (VIII), T-20 (VII), Cromwell B (VI), Snakebite (VI), T-37 (VI), M4 Sherman w/Derp (V), VK 16.02 Leopard (V)

Teffisk #20 Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24006 battles
  • [-L7-]
Until we get reusable consumables (probably never) repairs is the second most important skill and the second skill I always train. (Sixth sense is #1.)

Training repairs allows you to repair your tracks before the enemy reloads in most situations. This means you get to save that repair kit for you gun or ammo later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users