Sniper Medal - What is the number one recommendation?

snipper medal recommendation hints tips

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:18 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

I played a few more battles, and I thought I had fully understood how to get that Sniper medal, but obviously I did not.

My first battle in the CdC got me one, and I know I need to get over 1000 damage, 10 shots, and it also depends on the other players's achievement.

This morning, I should have gotten at least 2 more, 'cause, I finished top of the leader board twice in succession in my 25 AP and 25 T bat-chats. But no...

1000 damage mini? check

10 shots mini? check

85% success ratio number of shots fired versus number of shots that hit... there it is! I fired too many shots that went astray. This was my downfall.

Since we are at it, anyone else has any recommendation on what to play, how to get a Sniper medal?

This is Stage 6 of the Machine by the way. So among Medium and Heavies.

What do you do?

Edited by P6X330, 07 May 2019 - 09:35 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

markyjmeech #2 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 32790 battles
  • [B-W-P]
I used the Nomad for my 4 medals :)

A prestigious member of the Senior Technical Engineer Club 

Twitch channel if anyone is interested  https://www.twitch.tv/markyjmeech Twitter @Markyjmeech Discord Markyjmeech SZQWCz9.jpg

P6X330 #3 Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postmarkyjmeech, on 07 May 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

I used the Nomad for my 4 medals :)

I have that tank. I have not gotten to it yet. So far, two CdC's and two Bat-Chats. Still need a win on the CdC black. Got imprudent with a Lycan, and he blew my ammunition storage!

Edited by P6X330, 07 May 2019 - 09:35 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Qugstav #4 Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 38894 battles
  • [IFITE]

Just hit stuff. No need to pen. Don't take risky shots and you'll be fine..

If you don't get it when you qualify for the medal, someone beat ya to it and hit more stuff

Koncorde #5 Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:56 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24614 battles
It's often easier to go with a tank that is either ridiculously mobile so you can flank and make good shots, or a heavy which you know you can bully in. The IS3 is quite useful for this when top tier, as you're often grinding in close quarters and you will bounce a lot if you play it smart, and pen a lot because the top gun is solid.

Anything you are reliant on hiding in, or avoiding damage in general, is likely to be too flimsy to rack up the shots or damage required.

The challenge is to find a tank like the T23E3 that can dump 1k in 30 seconds, accurately and mobile.

ThermalStone #6 Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32126 battles
  • [80085]

It's not that hard.  I got mine in 4 or 5 games more than in took to get the XP without even trying.  Each time the Sniper popped up I was genuinely surprised.  

The important thing to realize is that Sniper isn't really rewarding accuracy;  it's easy to hit a tank with every shot and you don't have to pen.  The Sniper is actually a reward for shooting a lot.  Firing 10 shots on target every game is well beyond the skill of most of the player base.  

Best bet is to use a tank with decent accuracy and reload and wait for a map where you are shooting medium or long range at superheavies or stationary targets.  When you find yourself in that position, take only aimed shots.  Avoid snapshots.  Stay alive so you can keep shooting.  I think I got all three out of four Snipers in the CDC Black.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

P6X330 #7 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:47 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostQugstav, on 07 May 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

Just hit stuff. No need to pen. Don't take risky shots and you'll be fine..

If you don't get it when you qualify for the medal, someone beat ya to it and hit more stuff

But the ratio shots/hits is what is really difficult to achieve.

P6X330 #8 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:51 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostKoncorde, on 07 May 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

It's often easier to go with a tank that is either ridiculously mobile so you can flank and make good shots, or a heavy which you know you can bully in. The IS3 is quite useful for this when top tier, as you're often grinding in close quarters and you will bounce a lot if you play it smart, and pen a lot because the top gun is solid.

Anything you are reliant on hiding in, or avoiding damage in general, is likely to be too flimsy to rack up the shots or damage required.

The challenge is to find a tank like the T23E3 that can dump 1k in 30 seconds, accurately and mobile.

I could have gotten the medal in several of my battles today, if it was not for a lot of lost shots. When I checked the rate, I was below par. I am going to have to make sure I hit something.

P6X330 #9 Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostThermalStone, on 07 May 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

It's not that hard.  I got mine in 4 or 5 games more than in took to get the XP without even trying.  Each time the Sniper popped up I was genuinely surprised.  

The important thing to realize is that Sniper isn't really rewarding accuracy;  it's easy to hit a tank with every shot and you don't have to pen.  The Sniper is actually a reward for shooting a lot.  Firing 10 shots on target every game is well beyond the skill of most of the player base.  

Best bet is to use a tank with decent accuracy and reload and wait for a map where you are shooting medium or long range at superheavies or stationary targets.  When you find yourself in that position, take only aimed shots.  Avoid snapshots.  Stay alive so you can keep shooting.  I think I got all three out of four Snipers in the CDC Black.

I agree in that the more you shoot and hit, the better chance to get it. But you need to hit, else, you go below the minimum ratio. And that has been my issue so far.

I think I am going to have to do it in a tank that pens better than the 100mm which equip a lot of my tanks.

ThermalStone #10 Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32126 battles
  • [80085]

View PostP6X330, on 07 May 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

I agree in that the more you shoot and hit, the better chance to get it. But you need to hit, else, you go below the minimum ratio. And that has been my issue so far.

I think I am going to have to do it in a tank that pens better than the 100mm which equip a lot of my tanks.

Penetration doesn't matter.  It's potential damage.  Shots that bounce or hit tracks count too.  One way people boost this medal is to deliberately bounce multiple shots off a heavy in the hopes that he won't move if he isn't being penetrated.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Xenith_Inc #11 Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Major

• Players
  • 6882 battles

View PostP6X330, on 07 May 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

But the ratio shots/hits is what is really difficult to achieve.

Not really. Just don't shoot if you're likely to miss. I was chasing sniper medals in my LTTB for some contract and getting 100% isn't hard, but having more potential damage than someone else on both teams is. 

View PostP6X330, on 07 May 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

Pen doesn't matter at all if you cannot hit in the first place. Practice shooting. 

Addendum - I checked and you actually have a better accuracy overall than me, so you're fully capable. Just pick your shots. 

+++Generally found on PS4 EU server from 5 - 9pm CET+++

My YouTube Channel

Ronin Gaidin #12 Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 34898 battles
I went a different direction in getting the Sniper medals for this Stage. My rather effective game plan was to take out a tank with a faster rate of fire and good accuracy, get in close to the enemy, and hit every shot. Get into "can't miss" range and blast away. As others have mentioned, penetrations do not matter - just need to hit. Refuse to take any shot that you are not 100% confident will hit. I had my four Sniper medals for this Stage at about 37k exp, very early on. Think I did it all in premium British Mediums (FV4202(p), Centennial, Huntsman, and Atomic). 

killer etzi0 #13 Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58416 battles
  • [47R]
The Tier IX-X British mediums did the job for me. 

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

ALF EXTREME #14 Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 48865 battles
i use tanks with good accuracy and fast rate of fire. like others have said penning doesn't matter so if you can find a heavy in a good position but not paying attention just go trigger happy and if your shots arent penning usually they will hold that position allowing you more hits increasing your potential damage and hit ratio.

I AM KING

and i declare death to all artillery, who will follow me on this righteous quest for freedom

P6X330 #15 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostThermalStone, on 07 May 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Penetration doesn't matter.  It's potential damage.  Shots that bounce or hit tracks count too.  One way people boost this medal is to deliberately bounce multiple shots off a heavy in the hopes that he won't move if he isn't being penetrated.

True. Hitting is the most important, and hitting a lot too....

P6X330 #16 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostXenith_Inc, on 08 May 2019 - 05:49 AM, said:

Not really. Just don't shoot if you're likely to miss. I was chasing sniper medals in my LTTB for some contract and getting 100% isn't hard, but having more potential damage than someone else on both teams is. 

Pen doesn't matter at all if you cannot hit in the first place. Practice shooting. 

Addendum - I checked and you actually have a better accuracy overall than me, so you're fully capable. Just pick your shots. 

My accuracy depends on my mood, and is also dependent on the tank I am playing. A few of them could not hit the broadside of a barn if you don't fully aim.

I need to refrain from shooting when I am not certain I will hit, but at the same time, it is hard to not battle.

P6X330 #17 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostRonin Gaidin, on 08 May 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

I went a different direction in getting the Sniper medals for this Stage. My rather effective game plan was to take out a tank with a faster rate of fire and good accuracy, get in close to the enemy, and hit every shot. Get into "can't miss" range and blast away. As others have mentioned, penetrations do not matter - just need to hit. Refuse to take any shot that you are not 100% confident will hit. I had my four Sniper medals for this Stage at about 37k exp, very early on. Think I did it all in premium British Mediums (FV4202(p), Centennial, Huntsman, and Atomic). 

I am only using French tanks on that op. So I have a choice between no armor, or frontal armor. My best tank armor wise is the HMH M4 Mle 49. But I always need to protect my front and my back. Not so evident.

P6X330 #18 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:39 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View Postkiller etzi0, on 08 May 2019 - 07:01 AM, said:

The Tier IX-X British mediums did the job for me. 

I don't have any of those.... :-(

P6X330 #19 Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:40 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

View PostALF EXTREME, on 08 May 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

i use tanks with good accuracy and fast rate of fire. like others have said penning doesn't matter so if you can find a heavy in a good position but not paying attention just go trigger happy and if your shots arent penning usually they will hold that position allowing you more hits increasing your potential damage and hit ratio.

I will try again tonight. See if I can get something. Then I will move on to farming Xp.

P6X330 #20 Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15876 battles
  • [AMXS]

Oh, I am having a hard time getting more Sniper Medals.....

I am now around the half way mark Xp wise, and I have not really progressed in obtaining more of these. Either I try to stay back, since AMX 50-120, and I don't do much, or if I come to close, I get removed.

My first medal was on El Halluf, and it was very easy to get, because it was the correct circumstances. I don't think I have had a repeat of those yet.

Perhaps one contributing factor is my crew situation. Only my Premium tanks have good crew in them. The Tech Tree ones have low skilled personnel.

Edited by P6X330, 09 May 2019 - 12:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users