Is it worth pursuing French Artillery line past Lorraine 155 mle. 51?

arty French BC 155 58

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Schiavoser #1 Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38025 battles

I had a good French crew member sitting around unused and decided to resume a grind of the French arty line I abandoned a long time ago. I was always curious about playing the Tier X arty with an autoloader. I unlocked the Lorraine 155 mle. 51 yesterday.

The Lorraine 155 mle. 51 is kind of fun. It is very, very mobile, and shoots often. Most of the time it seems like I'm affecting the game like more of a nuisance than a killer. But every once in a while, I hit a red for 1000+. 

Looking ahead at the BC 155 55 and 58, I noticed the guns don't really get very strong on a per-shot basis. The turrets on Tiers IX and X might be a nice quality of life improvement, but I also noticed the 155 58 has a long reload between shots (in addition to the very long clip reload). So I'm having second thoughts about chasing the 155 58.

Anyone with BC 155 55 and 58 experience, please let me know if you think it's worth it to advance, or if in your opinion things don't get that much better than they are in Tier VIII. Thanks!

MASHMAN 90 #2 Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 36963 battles
Only if you want the Tier X Autoloader. Tier IX is a worse M53/M55.

loki131313 #3 Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25343 battles

Eh, I like Tier IX.

Tier X is kind of fun, if only because it's an autoloading artillery, so it's worth trying out.

But really, unless you live for the grind/completing all the lines, French Arty at the higher tiers is kind of meh (IMO). 

RangerCharlie75 #4 Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17572 battles
  • [USAV]
I like them. I'm in IX now. It's fun to run down reds at the end and kabloowee them.

ALF EXTREME #5 Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 49369 battles
no just stop playing any and all artillery and you'll not only improve your own game but every body else's as well its a win win for all.

I AM KING

and i declare death to all artillery, who will follow me on this righteous quest for freedom

BrogueOne #6 Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 23219 battles
  • [ELDER]
Having a turret is worth it!  The gun performance doesn’t improve dramatically(they’re basically all the exact same 155), but you do gain advantages for aiming/re-aiming.  The magazine on the 58 has a couple of interesting perks as well....... the long reload gives you time to scan for counter-battery fire..... and you can either barrage a single location or hold your shots and spread the love around

animatethant #7 Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 80918 battles

It's fun to play and a challenge imo. I think it's worth the grind be for the experience but not necessarily for the performance but that's just me.

I don't play it much and good games are a bit harder to come by compared to the t92 or 261.

That's because it b*tchslaps people with little damage per shot, very poor splash, 4 shot clip takes almost a minute to reload and Allah help you if you miss shots in a clip.

Having the clip and mobility gives you an experience that you cannot get from any other Arty. 

The ability to move around the battlefield and use your situational awareness to get you the best shots to support your team is fun when you can put it all together. When it all comes together you think yeah this is a great tank.

But the dismal damage potential and long timing between impact on the game leaves an incomplete experience all things considered.

Shotgunning is an art form that must be practiced because while fun the slow turret traverse makes it really tricky.

The selling point of heat shells is a nonstarter because they are unreliable and unless you are flanking some flat tanks like a jpe100 I would probably not select that shell.

But yeah, if you've gone this far I'd just keep going. Good luck. Also when you get there just wait for a tier 10 sale unless you got the itch.

Schiavoser #8 Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38025 battles
Thanks for the info

movado75 #9 Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:38 PM

Sergeant

• Supertest - PS4
  • 29017 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 13 May 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

I had a good French crew member sitting around unused and decided to resume a grind of the French arty line I abandoned a long time ago. I was always curious about playing the Tier X arty with an autoloader. I unlocked the Lorraine 155 mle. 51 yesterday.

The Lorraine 155 mle. 51 is kind of fun. It is very, very mobile, and shoots often. Most of the time it seems like I'm affecting the game like more of a nuisance than a killer. But every once in a while, I hit a red for 1000+. 

Looking ahead at the BC 155 55 and 58, I noticed the guns don't really get very strong on a per-shot basis. The turrets on Tiers IX and X might be a nice quality of life improvement, but I also noticed the 155 58 has a long reload between shots (in addition to the very long clip reload). So I'm having second thoughts about chasing the 155 58.

Anyone with BC 155 55 and 58 experience, please let me know if you think it's worth it to advance, or if in your opinion things don't get that much better than they are in Tier VIII. Thanks!

you would love the 155 58 trust me

Bling Bedazzled #10 Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29602 battles

A platoon of 2 or 3 BC 155 58’s can delete a tier X tank or cripple a flank every minute or so. 

Personally Ill take BC 155 58 over T92. 

BC 155 55 is an easy and fun grind - you have a turret that gives you great accuracy, and a mobility of a fast medium if you need to skedaddle. Fast reloads but low-ish damage. I prefer this kind of trade-offs, as opposed to all-or-nothing of CGC for example, where you wait for a minute to reload and then most likely miss by a mile due to awful accuracy. 

Cyrex005 #11 Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 10858 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostMASHMAN 90, on 13 May 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

Only if you want the Tier X Autoloader. Tier IX is a worse M53/M55.

Every thing is a worst Orbital Sky Laser that is the M53/M55. That thing should be the American Tier X.

Schiavoser #12 Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38025 battles

Yes, I can imagine the M53/M55 is superior. I unlocked it, but I do not have any spare American crews at the moment. 

Thanks again. It's a little difficult getting comprehensive info about SPGs -- the stats available on most sites refer to the PC versions of SPGs. The performance of arty on the two platforms seems very different.

matematicalone #13 Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:58 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 2506 battles
Tier 9 french has full-traverse turret and decent reload, but for dmg itself you should look at other lines. This arty could be the model to rebalance all of them, so it can't do huge dmg and one-shot people (unless it's paper armor target), but it's fairly accurate, mobile and has decent rof. Also traversable turret means you can actualy shot-gun people in a drive by. Something very few other artys can do.

loki131313 #14 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 25343 battles

View PostSchiavoser, on 13 May 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

Yes, I can imagine the M53/M55 is superior. I unlocked it, but I do not have any spare American crews at the moment. 

Thanks again. It's a little difficult getting comprehensive info about SPGs -- the stats available on most sites refer to the PC versions of SPGs. The performance of arty on the two platforms seems very different.

They are, after the PC arty mechanic changes, now completely different to the point of not even being comparable (IMO).

Here's my take from what I know of the lines (ranked roughly in order of how awesome they are)-

American: All around best, Tier IX (M53/55) is arguably the best of the best as people have already stated.

German: Absolutely devastating in terms of the gun (damage/accuracy); Tier VIII (GW Tiger P) is probably the pound-for-pound beast. 

French: The most fun and interesting; the autoloader at X is special and you should try it, but I'd say that the IX (155-55) is the most enjoyable due to the speed/turret, but the VIII is also great and a fine point to stop at. 

Russian: To me, the ultimate in Stalin. You don't always know where your shells will land, but wherever they do, they will absolutely DESTROY whatever. they hit. Partial to Tiers VII (SU-14-1) and VIII (the 14-2) in the Soviet line.

Brits: Fine. Some people love the tier X due to the arc. Grind has some fun moments (the Crusader's early, short-range gun combined with backwards driving, for example). It's like a quirky, less good American line, I guess?

CheweyBadge #15 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39090 battles
  • [F_X_A]

The tier 10 is pretty nice

https://youtu.be/7SphcrXSgI8

FusionStar287 #16 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20400 battles
  • [JOCO]
Yes, in fact the tier X is the entire reason to grind the French arty line. It's by far the fastest and most mobile arty at the tier, making it very good at repositioning and retreating, it's very accurate for an arty thanks to its good accuracy stats and it having a full turret, and its gun is simply hilarious since you can track an enemy for 400-500 damage, retrack them again for another 400-500 damage after they use a repair kit, and then hit them two more times for most, if not all of their health. Also, because it has a full turret and an autoloader it's easily the best arty for defending itself against enemy tanks, as it can usually keep from being circled, it can shoot at enemies while retreating, and in dire situations it can even play as a autoloading light/medium and ambush unexpecting reds.

That all said it still is an arty, and as such it has a very long clip reload and the gun can troll you really badly from time to time, but as far as the tier X arty go it's certainly my favorite of the bunch (with the CGC being a close second).

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

Schiavoser #17 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38025 battles

View PostCheweyBadge, on 13 May 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

The tier 10 is pretty nice

https://youtu.be/7SphcrXSgI8

Nice. You almost had them. Cool to see the tank in evasive action at the start and sneaking around at end. I imagine the turret comes in very handy in those situations and makes the tank fun in a unique way. That flexibility is the reason I have been curious about this tank for a while.

Schiavoser #18 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 38025 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 13 May 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yes, in fact the tier X is the entire reason to grind the French arty line. It's by far the fastest and most mobile arty at the tier, making it very good at repositioning and retreating, it's very accurate for an arty thanks to its good accuracy stats and it having a full turret, and its gun is simply hilarious since you can track an enemy for 400-500 damage, retract them again for another 400-500 damage after they use a repair kit, and then hit them two more times for most, if not all of their health. Also, because it has a full turret and an autoloader it's easily the best arty for defending itself against enemy tanks, as it can usually keep from being circled, it can shoot at enemies while retreating, and in dire situations it can even play as a autoloading light/medium and ambush unexpecting reds.

That all said it still is an arty, and as such it has a very long clip reload and the gun can troll you really badly from time to time, but as far as the tier X arty go itsw certainly my favorite of the bunch (with the CGC being a close second).

I'm definitely used to missing shots already and merely tracking reds with splash damage. It's partly why I have barely played arty in this game. But I'm giving it another try.

FusionStar287 #19 Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20400 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostSchiavoser, on 13 May 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

I'm definitely used to missing shots already and merely tracking reds with splash damage. It's partly why I have barely played arty in this game. But I'm giving it another try.

The main reason the BC 155 58 is my favorite tier X SPG is because it doesn't feel as punishing when you miss a shot, as with a four shell autoloader you're very likely to hit at least one or two per clip when with bad RNG (provided you're fully aimed of course), and for every instance you somehow miss an entire clip you have another moment where you hit all four shells and/or pen a couple for full damage. It just feels that extra bit more consistent than most arty.

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

f1mitku #20 Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

Major

• Players
  • 47755 battles

View PostFusionStar287, on 13 May 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

Yes, in fact the tier X is the entire reason to grind the French arty line. It's by far the fastest and most mobile arty at the tier, making it very good at repositioning and retreating, it's very accurate for an arty thanks to its good accuracy stats and it having a full turret, and its gun is simply hilarious since you can track an enemy for 400-500 damage, retract them again for another 400-500 damage after they use a repair kit, and then hit them two more times for most, if not all of their health. Also, because it has a full turret and an autoloader it's easily the best arty for defending itself against enemy tanks, as it can usually keep from being circled, it can shoot at enemies while retreating, and in dire situations it can even play as a autoloading light/medium and ambush unexpecting reds.

That all said it still is an arty, and as such it has a very long clip reload and the gun can troll you really badly from time to time, but as far as the tier X arty go it's certainly my favorite of the bunch (with the CGC being a close second).

^^^ This +1 ^^^

I was thinking to write something similar but Fusion has done it already.

I really like the T-IX and T-X French arty. Alpha is low but everything else is top notch. 

Don't rush me, I'm waiting for the last moment!

Also tagged with arty, French, BC 155 58

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users