Ranked Battles Tier X - Feedback and rewards!

ranked battles feedback rewards war chests

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Bashful #41 Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:24 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 26847 battles
  • [47R]

Interestingly enough, today's Battle Heroes has some data regarding previous ranked battles - https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/news/battle-heroes-platoon-pride

The graph and the table are the most interesting.

If you take the graph and work out what percentage of players reached what league, this is what you'll find:

Jan Mar Apr
Iron 26% 45% 50%
Bronze 15% 22% 20%
Silver 13% 11% 12%
Gold 11% 7% 7%
Platinum 9% 5% 4%
Master 9% 4% 3%
Senior Master 7% 3% 2%
Chief Master 4% 1% 1%
Grand Master 6% 2% 2%

The population numbers:

• Jan (Tier X) - 25,586
  • Mar (Tier VIII) - 40,593
  • April (Tier VIII) - 29,876

The way that I read that is many players decided to give Tier VIII a try in march, but a very large portion of them decided to not bother again in April.

There is also a total gold earned in each league. You can then work out what that average per player is:

• Jan (Tier X) - 2500 / player
  • Mar (Tier VIII) - 650 / player
  • April (Tier VIII) - 600 / player

I don't know if the X2 silver that was enabled for Tier X counts against the prizing value, but the differences between the Tier X and Tier VIII rewards are incredibly significant.

What I'd be really curious to see are the participation numbers from the RBs in early 2018 and Summer 2018. These had far fewer points requirements to advance between the leagues, so I'd assume that a far higher percentage of the player base would hit GM.

I'd also be curious to know if WGCB is happy with the participation numbers and the number of players reaching GM.

Gimpyloins #42 Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 25152 battles
  • [WAGD]
I would like to see tier 9 ranked battles with 2x silver bonus

Koneko Da Best #43 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27781 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostBashful, on 14 May 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Interestingly enough, today's Battle Heroes has some data regarding previous ranked battles - https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/news/battle-heroes-platoon-pride

The graph and the table are the most interesting.

If you take the graph and work out what percentage of players reached what league, this is what you'll find:

Jan Mar Apr
Iron 26% 45% 50%
Bronze 15% 22% 20%
Silver 13% 11% 12%
Gold 11% 7% 7%
Platinum 9% 5% 4%
Master 9% 4% 3%
Senior Master 7% 3% 2%
Chief Master 4% 1% 1%
Grand Master 6% 2% 2%

The population numbers:

• Jan (Tier X) - 25,586
  • Mar (Tier VIII) - 40,593
  • April (Tier VIII) - 29,876

The way that I read that is many players decided to give Tier VIII a try in march, but a very large portion of them decided to not bother again in April.

There is also a total gold earned in each league. You can then work out what that average per player is:

• Jan (Tier X) - 2500 / player
  • Mar (Tier VIII) - 650 / player
  • April (Tier VIII) - 600 / player

I don't know if the X2 silver that was enabled for Tier X counts against the prizing value, but the differences between the Tier X and Tier VIII rewards are incredibly significant.

What I'd be really curious to see are the participation numbers from the RBs in early 2018 and Summer 2018. These had far fewer points requirements to advance between the leagues, so I'd assume that a far higher percentage of the player base would hit GM.

I'd also be curious to know if WGCB is happy with the participation numbers and the number of players reaching GM.

so basically people started up ranked and realized it wasn't fun and stopped playing it and they have a chart proving that so hopefully they'll take that in mind and make some damn changes finally :facepalm:

bigpikle #44 Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 18029 battles
I am relatively new at WOT

Z0MB13A55A51N #45 Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 64933 battles
  • [C-GUL]
Dont think you really care about our opinions but I will say the same thing I tell you and everyone else tells you when you ask, your points system is crap.  There is no way someone who does little to nothing for your team should get as many point as the rest.  You should receive points based on where you place.

Kaptain Proton #46 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 36995 battles
  • [47R]

I think doing tier 9 next is a good idea. 

The point system seems to work as intended.  The better players reach the higher levels.  I watch a few Unicum  players and they make it consistently to the top level.  I am an above average player so I made it to Master league.  

I am sure WG is trying to figure out how to get more people to play. So more prizes is always a good start.  And try changing the point system. To the winning team only.  Top 7 points and bottom 1 point.  Obviously the rest in that order.  

I don’t know if there is a system that will make people play better and as a team but I think the ranked system has potential.  

Dameddla #47 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15047 battles

Tier X is the deal for ranked battles, but we should get a better system, like ist was last year.

Tier 8 RB were a desaster, and I thing Tier 9 would be quit similar.

MaxChaos24 #48 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

Gameplay Expert

• Administrator
  • 12745 battles
  • [WGW]

View PostKoneko Da Best, on 15 May 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

so basically people started up ranked and realized it wasn't fun and stopped playing it and they have a chart proving that so hopefully they'll take that in mind and make some damn changes finally :facepalm:

I think it's important to know that a Ranked system isn't designed for everyone to make it to the top, otherwise it isn't ranking people. There will certainly people who try it out and say, yeah this isn't for me and go back to MP, but it's also important to know that the larger percentage of participants will be at the bottom in a ranking based system. Just mentioning this as the chart isn't proving anything beyond that player distribution is as expected for a rank based game mode, only the "best of the best' are going to make it to the top. Also doesn't mean that changes are off the table, it's simply us sharing data. :honoring:

MASHMAN 90 #49 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 35241 battles

I'm not sure about "Best of the Best" making it to the Top as even the Best can lose if they don't have the team required for the Victory. I've always felt it was down to Luck whether you reach not only the Top Leagues but Lower Ones as well. 700 points to get 150,000 Silver still rattles me, it should be half that as you could make the same amount or more using Tier 8 Premiums in Multiplayer or even a couple of Tier X games in Ranked provided you do one of the requirements.

I've posted my displeasure for Ranked for at least 4-5 Seasons but the Points System doesn't change so i feel that Ranked will never change for the better, therefore the only reason to play is Double Silver and that's not enough for me. I've given up on ever believing Ranked will ever change so i don't see the point in posting Feedback on something which won't get changed.

Sorry for being Negative but i want Ranked to be good again.

i generally post more News on Twitter these days but "may" post on Forum from time to time on my Future Vehicles Thread

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/205056-future-update-vehicle-changes/ 

Disclaimer Below: Read the Spoiler, If you don't and assume i'm 100% Truthful then it's not my problem.

SandM9 #50 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 31890 battles

View PostMaxChaos24, on 17 May 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

I think it's important to know that a Ranked system isn't designed for everyone to make it to the top, otherwise it isn't ranking people. There will certainly people who try it out and say, yeah this isn't for me and go back to MP, but it's also important to know that the larger percentage of participants will be at the bottom in a ranking based system. Just mentioning this as the chart isn't proving anything beyond that player distribution is as expected for a rank based game mode, only the "best of the best' are going to make it to the top. Also doesn't mean that changes are off the table, it's simply us sharing data. :honoring:

:popcorn:

Welcome to the forums. Where you can call people stupid, just don't call them passive-aggressive.

Koneko Da Best #51 Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:25 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27781 battles
  • [KMD]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 17 May 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

you see the problem with that is the reason why some people are at the bottom for example I was in one of the lower leagues not because I couldn't make it to the higher leagues but more because the game mode is too rng dependent on getting lucky with teams and tanks which end's up making it really frustrating and time consuming. who wants to play ranked when they have to do 5k+ dmg and still not even guaranteeing you'll win and on top of that with the current point system it doesn't even reward players who did that well on a loss when it should. :facepalm: and about your only the best of the best are gonna make it to the top that's not even remotely accurate you could be the worst player on the game and still make it into the top league with the current point system you just have to get good teams consistently.

Bashful #52 Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 26847 battles
  • [47R]

View PostMaxChaos24, on 17 May 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

The point system in ranked battle does not make it about skill, but rather about amount of time you devote to it.

Yes, it's true that higher skilled players will be able to progress faster, but there is a giant caveat to that, namely that it is skill relative to the other players participating. 

What that means that as the lower skill level players are driven out because they know that they won't do "well" in RB, that moves up the average skill level, which in turns lowers player's effective win rate. The lower a player's effective win rate is, the longer it takes to progress thru the system, which then makes them reconsider participating the next time, which raises up the average skill level even more, which continues the cycle.

As a suggestion for how to get a system that will reward the top players by skill but still encourage players to participate, consider a variation of how you guys handle Marks of Excellence:

• For each player track the results of N ranked battle matches, where N is something like 10, 20, whatever. Think of N as the minimum number of games you have to play.
  • Keep the results in sorted order
  • Once players have played N battles, then the result of their next battle is inserted at the correct location. That is, if in the N+1 match, they get a better result then previously had, it kicks out their worst result, otherwise, it doesn't do anything
  • Players can play as many battles as they want, but the system all keeps track of their best N matches.
  • Once the RB league is over, sort all of the players by their average in the N matches
  • Once you have the sorted list, then you could award the top 5% of players with GML, the next 5% with Senior, etc, etc
  • You can also do things like give one-off prizing for players with the top 10 individual match scores.

I'd argue that a system like the above is better than the current one because it allows players to spend as much time or as little time as they want - as long as they play the minimum of games. It also does the job of encouraging players to play more in order to get a score that knocks off their "worst" score from the list so that they move up.

leedozer #53 Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 39267 battles
  • [47R]
its obvious really, they now give crates as prizes, so they make the points system really bad so they have to pay out less crates.

Sadriel Fett #54 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:15 AM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 26139 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostKoneko Da Best, on 15 May 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

so basically people started up ranked and realized it wasn't fun and stopped playing it and they have a chart proving that. 

That's the gist I got from the charts, as well.

~ "There's no such thing as "Arty Safe."  You have to play "Arty Aware."  You have to play "SmArty." ~

~ The worst enemies you will ever face in this game are your own team mates. ~

psmobius1 #55 Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29786 battles
  • [USA1]

I have played many of the ranked battles in the past. I actually was okay with it at tier VIII but they need to increase the payouts and prizes and maybe make it 1.5X silver instead of none or 2X found when it is tier X. The reason for the 1.5 can be justified as most players will use their tier VIII premium tanks which already have +.50% give or take silver bonus. 

But lets be real, it isn't really ranking a player in the most remote sense. This mode is all about how much time you are willing to throw at it and pure luck. Without some luck and decent teams you will never get out of the Iron league. The result causes players to attempt to get in and out of battles as quickly as they possibly can so they can start another match. The more games entered, the more likely you are to gain more wins over time. They aren't going to take the time to think about their movements or strategy. Get in, shoot em up, maybe get a kill, get blown up, return to garage, and repeat over and over and over again. 

As far as the points go, this in itself needs a complete overhaul. Many excellent suggestions and examples have been provided but none have been tried out and for all we know, none have ever been seriously looked at. The points need to be broken down based on where the player finishes on the team which already takes into consideration XP earned, damage done, kills, number of spots, assisted damage, etc, etc. If one players gets 4,000 XP, does 2,000 damage, spots 5 enemies, and gets 2 kills then they were clearly more effective than the player who took 2 shots and died. These two players should not get the same # of points period but the current set up treats them as equal which is NOT RANKING PLAYERS BASED ON THEIR SKILL. 

Anyway, revamp the points and add a silver bonus which would be equivalent to a x2 silver bonus for any tier which is not X and change up the tiers each time. Running the same tier all the time just gets old.    

CleverJoey1844 #56 Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 43586 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostMASHMAN 90, on 17 May 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

I'm not sure about "Best of the Best" making it to the Top as even the Best can lose if they don't have the team required for the Victory. I've always felt it was down to Luck whether you reach not only the Top Leagues but Lower Ones as well. 700 points to get 150,000 Silver still rattles me, it should be half that as you could make the same amount or more using Tier 8 Premiums in Multiplayer or even a couple of Tier X games in Ranked provided you do one of the requirements.

I've posted my displeasure for Ranked for at least 4-5 Seasons but the Points System doesn't change so i feel that Ranked will never change for the better, therefore the only reason to play is Double Silver and that's not enough for me. I've given up on ever believing Ranked will ever change so i don't see the point in posting Feedback on something which won't get changed.

Sorry for being Negative but i want Ranked to be good again.

Agree!!! Blind luck on leveling up. Just ask the unicom players who went no where in ranked. They probably won't speak on the issue due to embarrassment, but i saw a few

CleverJoey1844 #57 Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:54 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 43586 battles
  • [STDZ]
I talked to a player (anonymous) for his protection. He told me that himself and 7 others mic'd up and tried starting battles tgthr. Apparently it worked 75% of the time, actually making them platoon up. Mostly as 3 man teams but point being. I'm going to find some friends and try this method. Easy way to find yourself in Gml....

IBROX 04 #58 Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19789 battles
  • [BNKR]
Don't see the point. Still don't get why its still here. 

CleverJoey1844 #59 Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Captain

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 43586 battles
  • [STDZ]

View PostIBROX 04, on 18 May 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Don't see the point. Still don't get why its still here. 

why what is here? Ranked battles? I enjoy ranked, just  needs point tweaking adjustment. It is very demoralizing to be the top player on losing team and still not get ahead

IBROX 04 #60 Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19789 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostCleverJoey1844, on 18 May 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

why what is here? Ranked battles? I enjoy ranked, just  needs point tweaking adjustment. It is very demoralizing to be the top player on losing team and still not get ahead

How many years has it been about? And still it needs tweaked ? Lol yeah keep tweaking it and perhaps one day in the next few years they'll get it right... 

Also tagged with ranked, battles, feedback, rewards, war chests

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users