Best strategy on a seemingly losing battle? help a teamate or continue harvest on your own? opinions...

team play assist

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

P6X330 #1 Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13820 battles
  • [AMXS]

This morning, on Dragon Ridge, in my AMX M4 Mle 51 with the 120mm gun.

We started from the North, and I went along the 8/9/0 line, on the Eastern side of the map. My team mates stayed a bit further West, sort of 7ish?

Anyways, I was holding my side against three tanks, Tier IX's, but because I was below them, they could not hit my lower plate, nor did they manage to get my cupola. And I was Arty safe too.

Perfect situation, however, our West flank collapsed.

I saw the medium tanks starting to get behind, and there were only one colleague fighting on my 3:00 O'clock, holding two medium tanks but getting hammered.

I could have stayed in my position and continued harvesting hit points, but I decided it was a better play to do an about face, and go try to help my teammate. In the process, I exposed my rear, and as soon as I got in front of the mediums, they went around me and pummeled me to death, my turret nor my chassis could traverse fast enough to offer any kind of opposition.

The end was ineluctable, there were 8 against 3, but the third, a King Tiger had stayed back to the spawn, and could not offer any assistance.

Analysis; leaving my stronghold position did not provide much assistance to my team mate, it only delayed his destruction a bit. But I thought that if we could have maybe disposed off the two medium, we may had had a shot at holding longer.

If I had continued farming hit points in my safe position, these two mediums would have gotten me from behind anyways.

Attempting a salvage of my teammate was the better move. It may have worked, but the two mediums were in a platoon, and they worked together, staying away from my gun. No joy!

Do you agree with what I did? at least, I had a shot at trying to continue the battle, rather than ignore the rest?

Edited by P6X330, 15 May 2019 - 05:04 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

ThermalStone #2 Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

Major

• Players
  • 29566 battles
  • [80085]

In general grouping up with surviving teammates not only gives you a chance to win by concentrating your remaining firepower but also lets you continue to use your teammates as distractions or meatshields.  The ability to use teammates to avoid getting focus fired is an important aspect of highly skilled play as it lets you live longer and shoot more.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Sadriel Fett #3 Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 25366 battles
  • [JOCO]

If they're going to die anyways, farm those points.

"There's no such thing as "Arty Safe."  You have to play "Arty Aware."  You have to play "SmArty."

SpandexRockstar #4 Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19608 battles
  • [OD1N]

Good move. Always help to keep one of your guns in the game if you're able to. Even if it ends up being a total loss, the fact you tried to help shows loyalty and goes a long way to improve reputation. I still recall the player's gt of an E75 who shielded my 32 HP bulldog until the very last on a blowout. There was no way we'd win, but if I see that player again on the greens, I'm going to fight alongside them. That's something good, isn't it?

That said, if it's a lost cause and there's no way to regroup, then there's little else to do but take as much HP as you can.

deadmeat1027 #5 Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

Staff sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 15071 battles
  • [PCP]
It is better to help when possible, but the time to relocate and help vs the likely outcome has to be factored in as well. Tough call, but if you think you can help save a flank it could be worth it. In that situation however, farming may have been the better choice since it was 8 vs 3 or really 8 vs 2. Even killing the two mediums still leaves you well outnumbered and the three tanks you were fighting would have moved for killing blow anyway.

If you are over 25 years old, play on the XBOX, and are tired of running solo in MP games, you are welcome to stop by and check out Pork Chop Platoon - an over 25 XBOX only community. www.porkchopplatoon.com

Highlordwurm #6 Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:21 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17158 battles
  • [54-40]
I have recently changed my playstyle completely.  I stopped going for kills and damage and started concentrating on keeping my team alive, particularly Arty (this is more for lights and more mobile tanks, mostly).  
Firstly, my priority is to spot, then once the team deploys see where I am needed most, that’s right, the dreaded weak flank, that is where I go...on purpose.  Once there, the point is just to stay alive, i have mastered the art of baiting shots, falling back and bluffing.  That’s not to say I just dither around, the most effective way to stay alive is to kill the enemy first, just, no risky maneuvers to get that juicy shot, no tunnel visioning, and above all else, never take a risk until all the reds have been spotted!
When I break through my flank, instead of going for arty, I light him up, but move to support the far flank.  This lessens my chance of being intercepted-since red assumes I am going for Arty- and really puts the far flank in a pickle when I start shooting them in the butt, or at least threaten them from behind.  At this point I prioratize staying alive over damage and looking for buddies to help over kills.  I am by no means a good player by WN8 standards (above average, actually), but my WN8 chart has taken a dramatic upswing, as has my win rate, K/D, I have earned way more medals (including 2 confederates and a top gun), my xp earnings are way up, this spring games has been a walk in the park, I actually get positive messages rather regularly and my game satisfaction has improved quite a bit!  Nonetheless, I have had to really ‘harden my heart’ and watch good greens die, because, while I know I could have helped, I couldn’t have saved him, so I chose to save my hp to help someone else.  
This is my evidence that there is actually great profit in helping your team, even if they don’t help you back.  That being said, there is great wisdom in knowing when helping is just going to get both of you killed.

P6X330 #7 Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 13820 battles
  • [AMXS]

I am glad that we all agreed, that attempting to help my team mate was the best strategy.

It was a desperate act, because I knew that by exposing my backside, the three tanks I was fighting with were going to pen me. I was on full health, and I managed to avoid one out of three shots. I fronted the two mediums to shield my team mate from more fire, but I did not manage to lend a single shot at them, they avoided my gun and chassis.

But it felt that I had at least had a shot at not handing out a win. If only that King Tiger had been with us, but he was guarding the base, which at this point, 8 against 3, was not really necessary.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Koncorde #8 Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22779 battles
If you can keep people alive you should. I always try and pivot my gun to help other people. If it saves them 1/4 of their hitpoints, then in all likelihood that is a shot that I don't have to take against my armour later in the game.

The more hitpoints you save by converging at once the better chance you have of having hitpoints left at the end of the battle.

Mahrs #9 Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5150 battles
Helping your team is good...sacrificing your tank for teammates that are beyond help...noble in spirit, but not “good” per se.

Also tagged with team play, assist

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users