Sony & Microsoft Collaboration

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

gnorville #1 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12843 battles

So now that these two companies have announced they're going to cooperate in the game space, any chance of merging Xbox and PS4 servers? I think it would be good for owners of both systems.

https://www.gamespot...p/1100-6466963/

Sammael85 #2 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22585 battles
  • [FAC]
It won't happen, simply because it would be a loss of profits on WG's side.

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!

MrRuinYourNight #3 Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 203 battles
This would take work. WG is allergic to that.

I don't even play this game anymore lmao

TemplarKnight75 #4 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19811 battles
  • [OJD]

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

Didn't realize flipping a switch was so expensive...

MrRuinYourNight #5 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 203 battles

View PostTemplarKnight75, on 17 May 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:

Didn't realize flipping a switch was so expensive...

It seems to be very very difficult. I mean, they might break a nail!

I don't even play this game anymore lmao

Just An0maly #6 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

First lieutenant

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 25397 battles
  • [IMTLZ]
This was addressed in another thread.

That said, the cross play beta has been ongoing with other gaming companies participating, and it appears the deepening relationship between MS and Sony will allow this to continue. WOTC has requested to allow cross play but was not allowed to do so during the beta --- Sony and MS wanted large population data to better evaluate back-end requirements.

Among other developments as a result of the new partnership, one would expect 360 support to be dropped by MS and for cross play to be expanded. WOTC is one of the many companies which will probably be allowed to move to it during that expansion.

CatSnipah #7 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24363 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

You're gonna have to explain this one - because you're flat wrong.

Same number of players.

Combine servers into one set - so reduced operating costs.  Even if they have to expand one set to accommodate all of the traffic of combined player base, the cost of running one larger one would not be less than running 2 separate sets.

PinkishOcean430 #8 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 3359 battles
  • [UMFF5]

View PostCatSnipah, on 17 May 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

Same number of players.

Combine servers into one set - so reduced operating costs.  Even if they have to expand one set to accommodate all of the traffic of combined player base, the cost of running one larger one would not be less than running 2 separate sets.

I think the question/problem revolves around duplicate accounts (same user names).  Also some people have accounts on both systems (separate premium time, etc...).  This may have already been solved with fortnite/etc, but I was under the impression that your account carried over in those games.

Very Classy #9 Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 28660 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostMrRuinYourNight, on 17 May 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

It seems to be very very difficult. I mean, they might break a nail!

Breaking a nail? Oh, that's a no-go. Just got a fresh mani.

Sammael85 #10 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22585 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostCatSnipah, on 17 May 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

Same number of players.

Maybe because it's convenient to WG to have a double ammount of cash from players that go from 360 to PS4 like the majority of people does?

Normally, all those people had bought some Premium tanks on 360, but then they buy the PS4 (surely after selling their own 360) and, as they would like to play with those tanks, they buy them again.

That unless WG starts providing something to trespass your console progress to a determined Gamertag/PSNID, i know people that they'll even pay for that if available...

Some might say i'm not constructive enough... Too bad i'm actually a deconstructivist

Si eres español/hispano y te sientes aislado por WG, no estás solo: Hay un Batallón Exiliado dispuesto a ayudarte

Hear me ROAR!!!

TemplarKnight75 #11 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19811 battles
  • [OJD]

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

Maybe because it's convenient to WG to have a double ammount of cash from players that go from 360 to PS4 like the majority of people does?

Normally, all those people had bought some Premium tanks on 360, but then they buy the PS4 (surely after selling their own 360) and, as they would like to play with those tanks, they buy them again.

where are you getting that from? Most people on the 360 would just go Xbox to avoid that. I'm sure some do that but implying wg is making any significant profit from an Incredibly specific subset of players who like world of tanks enough to spend alot of money on 360 but still not get an Xbox so they can spend more on ps4 is a bit silly

TripleFFFG #12 Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43510 battles

If you search the threads in the forums, WG has already stated they have PS and XB playing against each other "In House" . The issue has always been MS and Sony. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The price of each of the games has always been slightly different on the different platforms. 

It should be a boon to MP gamers to have  larger player pool available. It will be interesting to see how certain games play out. For example with MS to play MP WOT, you have to have a "Gold" membership, with SONY PS , you do not need a membership. 

A lot of questions, looking forward to the answers.

Edited by TripleFFFG, 17 May 2019 - 10:58 PM.

x_BAlN_x #13 Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:46 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 53919 battles

View PostTripleFFFG, on 17 May 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

If you search the threads in the forums, WG has already stated they have PS and XB playing against each other "In House" . The issue has always been MS and Sony. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The price of each of the games has always been slightly different on the different platforms. 

It should be a boon to MP gamers to have  larger player pool available. It will be interesting to see how certain games play out. For example with MS to play MP WOT, you have to have a "Gold" membership, with SONY PS , you do not need a membership. 

Yeah and if you search the forums you will see the size limit for WOT is 50GB. We all know how that played out.

TemplarKnight75 #14 Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:56 PM

Major

• Players
  • 19811 battles
  • [OJD]

View Postx_BAlN_x, on 17 May 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

Yeah and if you search the forums you will see the size limit for WOT is 50GB. We all know how that played out.

except cross play being beneficial is something agreed upon industry wide by developers and even publishers

HollowPoint_808 #15 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17581 battles
  • [PATS]
Are we there yet? Don't think profits are the main issue as they can iron that side out. 

Sammael85 #16 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:34 AM

Major

• Players
  • 22585 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostTemplarKnight75, on 17 May 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

where are you getting that from? Most people on the 360 would just go Xbox to avoid that. I'm sure some do that but implying wg is making any significant profit from an Incredibly specific subset of players who like world of tanks enough to spend alot of money on 360 but still not get an Xbox so they can spend more on ps4 is a bit silly

Seriously? Are you that sure? With the increasing numbers on PS4 sales week after week everywhere?

Remember that the forum population is just a REALLY small slice of the actual playerbase. Even that Fb "community" is! (for not saying that in Fb can comment anyone, including people who have no freaking idea of what's happening but they comment just to get involved)

Hear me ROAR!!!

HomicidalApple0 #17 Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2358 battles

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

That unless WG starts providing something to trespass your console progress to a determined Gamertag/PSNID, i know people that they'll even pay for that if available...

Really don’t get why many people at all would do that, why wouldn’t they just go xb1 and keep all that stuff?? I feel like even if you know people that did that’s rare. 

They wouldnt lose lose profits by going cross platform, people will still buy their premium tanks and time and honestly the larger crowd could draw others back to this game and get it growing again. 

TemplarKnight75 #18 Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 19811 battles
  • [OJD]

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 07:34 PM, said:

Seriously? Are you that sure? With the increasing numbers on PS4 sales week after week everywhere?

Remember that the forum population is just a REALLY small slice of the actual playerbase. Even that Fb "community" is! (for not saying that in Fb can comment anyone, including people who have no freaking idea of what's happening but they comment just to get involved)

Except ps4 Increasing sales isn't relevant to this specific point nor is it explaining how the incredibly specific situation you're trying to describe is happening to such a significant degree that it makes wargaming more money then joining servers. Your basically saying there's a huge influx of rich players who are too cheap to buy an Xbox one and ps4 but still spend hundreds on tanks and that's not reality dude 

MrTrollPacMan #19 Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 17375 battles

View PostTripleFFFG, on 17 May 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

This^^

WG has many things you can fault them on, cross play isn’t one. They’ve had it working for years inside WG, they just can’t do it for the rest of us yet because of Sony

CatSnipah #20 Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:33 AM

Major

• Players
  • 24363 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostSammael85, on 17 May 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

I remember the first time I had a wild theory and extrapolated made up facts in order to make it sound plausible. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users