Jump to content


The role of the Light tank!, just like several other things in WOT, it’s a thing of the past!...


  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

gbsman812 #1 Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

I the past, it was simple, the main role of the Light Tank was to go out and spot targets for your team. You made your XP, silver, and advanced your crew with Assisted damage. Your role was to go out in front of your team, find a good place to stay hidden and spot targets while resisting the urge to fire your gun so you would not be spotted. Your reward for this was good assisted damage. Sure, in some circumstances active spotting was required, but at one time, a good light tank driver could rack up a high number of assisted damage while helping his team do damage and kill tanks. A lot of times the results of this was” A WIN”.  Now a days, light tank tactics, if you can call them that, are a big joke!! I constantly see light tanks, as soon as the start clock gets to 0, run straight for the cap trying to dodge their way pass several tanks, if they make it to the cap, they drive in circles until they get kill. I see them circling 2and 3 tanks at a time out in the open shooting at them before getting picked off by tanks in the tree line. Sometimes I see 2 light tanks red vs green, just circling and playing with each other until one or both of them are killed. The results are all too often “0 or very little assisted damage!!

 

This is the way I think the light tank can be most productive for the team! But in this day and age of WOT, it’s just wishful thinking

 



El Materdor43 #2 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31534 battles
  • 8,355
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014
I’m more concerned about the role of the heavy tank. The should be taking the point, leading the charge, that sort of thing. They should be helping their team

   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                

 


El Materdor43 #3 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31534 battles
  • 8,355
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014
Heavy tankers who don’t play their tank properly cause more losses than do the light tankers who don’t play theirs properly 

   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                

 


SGT Rock 1963 #4 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:31 PM

    Major

  • WoTC Ambassador
  • 12838 battles
  • 4,373
  • [JOCO]
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013
+1 Nice game. 

                                                                                                               

SGT_Rock_1963   On mixer, Leave a follow. 

 

 

 


MrRuinYourNight #5 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 203 battles
  • 363
  • Member since:
    07-15-2018
this is nothing new. Lights however used to be much better.

                                                                            I don't even play this game anymore lmao

                                                  


Fishfood50 #6 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:40 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 702 battles
  • 1,702
  • Member since:
    07-30-2016
It happened mostly when they changed the lights, before many just avoided them as they couldn't get any good results when 3 tiers down, now they think they can do damage and play them far more aggressively. This new way of playing lights can have decent results, but it's detrimental to gameplay and makes it harder for people who should be sniping to snipe effectively. Can't see it changing back so we'll have to live with it. I honestly think there are just as many good scouters out there, but far more idiots playing them like heavies or TDs.

HeckuvaMonkey47 #7 Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:45 PM

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31759 battles
  • 1,391
  • [GUYS]
  • Member since:
    07-27-2016
Well as others said, it's not just the light tanks which sometimes do yolo but heavies. The number of times in the past week I have seen E100 and 60TP's just chillin' + sniping is far too much for having an enjoyable game. 

HollowPoint_808 #8 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:00 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 18115 battles
  • 736
  • [PATS]
  • Member since:
    08-02-2016
All about spots , but yes it seems to be a trend to just run to opposing cap and once there most die.  

gbsman812 #9 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014
All of those comments are valid concerns, however, the light tank is primarily a scout!! those of us who play Russian TDs suffer because light tanks are running out getting killed and losing view of the target!! on my SU-122-44 I use to run GLD, rammer and vents. because light tanks are playing like damn heavies now, I had to replace vents with binocs, and spend silver on premium food so I can half way see!

gbsman812 #10 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:12 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSGT Rock 1963, on 18 May 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

+1 Nice game. 

 

 
   Thanks my friend?? what's shakin??  ​


El Materdor43 #11 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:14 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31534 battles
  • 8,355
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014
It’s about positioning your tank. You have to be in position to help your team. When tanks are 600m or more behind their team, they can’t see targets that are lit up. You have to get your tank involved in the battle to actually have any influence on it 

   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                

 


ZCFlayer #12 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:31 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4968 battles
  • 143
  • Member since:
    01-30-2016
It's a two way street. Nothing more annoying when driving a Light than to light up reds and see nobody from the greens taking advantage.

gbsman812 #13 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:36 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostEl Materdor43, on 18 May 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

It’s about positioning your tank. You have to be in position to help your team. When tanks are 600m or more behind their team, they can’t see targets that are lit up. You have to get your tank involved in the battle to actually have any influence on it 

 

 

 

     that's true  but with a tank like my new   8,8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger with 390 base view range, BA, sit aware, recon and chocolate, I don't have to move up to far to get into the action, I can see good, and  I don't  have to depend on a light tank!!

 

 



gbsman812 #14 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:39 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostZCFlayer, on 18 May 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

It's a two way street. Nothing more annoying when driving a Light than to light up reds and see nobody from the greens taking advantage.

 

 
 
That's so damn true!! look at this
 
​  


El Materdor43 #15 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:46 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31534 battles
  • 8,355
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014

View Postgbsman812, on 18 May 2019 - 07:36 PM, said:

 

 

 

     that's true  but with a tank like my new   8,8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger with 390 base view range, BA, sit aware, recon and chocolate, I don't have to move up to far to get into the action, I can see good, and  I don't  have to depend on a light tank!!

 

 

On maps that are 1km, you can’t see any targets without moving up and getting involved. Sitting back and letting your team die is no good. Unless you are arty, you have to get your gun in the game.  Positioning is key to helping your team survive and win. You can’t help unless you can see the targets your team lights up 


   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                

 


LadyTanker #16 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:58 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 3,527
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

You shouldn't yolo with a light tank, but you shouldn't have primarily been sitting either. You have mobility and a gun for a reason. You pointed out a wrong way to play, but I don't think this is the way to be playing a light tank either. 

 

It's a decent amount of assisted damage, but your team is still doing most of the work. Your gun had little effect. 



gbsman812 #17 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:06 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostEl Materdor43, on 18 May 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

On maps that are 1km, you can’t see any targets without moving up and getting involved. Sitting back and letting your team die is no good. Unless you are arty, you have to get your gun in the game.  Positioning is key to helping your team survive and win. You can’t help unless you can see the targets your team lights up 

 

 

 

 Dude I just said, I can move up far enough to see and get into the action, that means gun in the game! my view range is so good on the 8,8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger 88 ​, I can spot  and shoot targets who can't  spot me because of my camo!! and just release a gun that fired every 4.36 seconds. now that's gun in the game, ain't it??



gbsman812 #18 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:19 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 36096 battles
  • 2,414
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostLadyTanker, on 18 May 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

You shouldn't yolo with a light tank, but you shouldn't have primarily been sitting either. You have mobility and a gun for a reason. You pointed out a wrong way to play, but I don't think this is the way to be playing a light tank either. 

 

It's a decent amount of assisted damage, but your team is still doing most of the work. Your gun had little effect. 

 

 

 

L*M*A*O!!   when i'm in a light tank, my primary mission is to spot targets so the team can damage them. I do not plan on firing my gun for damage  ​unless it's absolutely necessary because as you should know, it will give away your position.  however in the vid I was firing my gun because that panther 2 was giving me his side armor and I could not  over come the urge to shoot at him, and when I fired I was not spotted. for me, in a light tank is all about assisted damage. I don't really care about doing damage my self. let the other tanks get a high caliber!!

 

 

 



El Materdor43 #19 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 31534 battles
  • 8,355
  • [HACKS]
  • Member since:
    03-02-2014

View Postgbsman812, on 18 May 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

 

 

 

 Dude I just said, I can move up far enough to see and get into the action, that means gun in the game! my view range is so good on the 8,8 cm PaK 43 Jagdtiger 88 ​, I can spot  and shoot targets who can't  spot me because of my camo!! and just release a gun that fired every 4.36 seconds. now that's gun in the game, ain't it??

On a 1km map, you can only see to the mid point of a map based on your playstyle. When your light tanks move out and light up targets, unless you are within 564m, the render range, you are no help. You have to move away from your spawn or back line. You also have to have LoS on tanks you are going to shoot. That only happens when you move out and away from spawn 


   

 

                                                                                                                                               

                                                                                                                

 


LadyTanker #20 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:32 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 5867 battles
  • 3,527
  • Member since:
    09-23-2017

View Postgbsman812, on 18 May 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

 

 

 

L*M*A*O!!   when i'm in a light tank, my primary mission is to spot targets so the team can damage them. I do not plan on firing my gun for damage  ​unless it's absolutely necessary because as you should know, it will give away your position.  however in the vid I was firing my gun because that panther 2 was giving me his side armor and I could not  over come the urge to shoot at him, and when I fired I was not spotted. for me, in a light tank is all about assisted damage. I don't really care about doing damage my self. let the other tanks get a high caliber!!

 

 

 

 

I'm glad you replied because I wanted to add something else. I'm not a good light tank player myself, but I have watched others like Bullvyi and Spartan. Not sure if they still play or not, but they always had their tanks on the move and their guns firing. They'd regularly have as much damage as their assisted damage. A good light tank player has to be a hard worker. This is just a mediocre game. It's not the standard of a good game for a light tank. 




4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users