The role of the Light tank!, just like several other things in WOT, it’s a thing of the past!...

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

gbsman812 #21 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:36 AM

Major

• Players
  • 36019 battles

View PostLadyTanker, on 18 May 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

I'm glad you replied because I wanted to add something else. I'm not a good light tank player myself, but I have watched others like Bullvyi and Spartan. Not sure if they still play or not, but they always had their tanks on the move and their guns firing. They'd regularly have as much damage as their assisted damage. A good light tank player has to be a hard worker. This is just a mediocre game. It's not the standard of a good game for a light tank. 

Well, I can see those  guys playing their light tanks like that. for me if i'm in the Tippy 50-2 it depends on the MM, if i'm in a Tier 8 match, I know my 57mm gun is not gonna pin them tier 8s. so I concentrate on spotting for the team  keeping the reds lit up and maybe some track damage. if the MM is good for me, I spot targets, then fall back and get ready to engage tanks and do damage. if i'm in the awful panther, I have a really good gun  so I engage tanks while at the same time getting some spots in. so, it depends on the battle situation

CostlessSun07 #22 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:58 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25140 battles

View PostEl Materdor43, on 18 May 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

I’m more concerned about the role of the heavy tank. The should be taking the point, leading the charge, that sort of thing. They should be helping their team

You are correct.

CostlessSun07 #23 Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:14 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25140 battles

Playing light tanks is an art form that depends on a number of factors including map, what tier you are, battle mode etc.  The most important thing is to stay alive for as long as possible while both spotting and damaging red tanks.  Also, isolating red tanks, hunting down arty when appropriate, and causing as much disruption to the red team as possible are important roles.  For example, if I can get to a point on a map where I am both safe and can attack the enemy from the rear that is ideal.  Always leave an escape route and do not over extend to a place where your shooters can not hit the tanks you are spotting.  Light tanks also become a lot more valuable later in battles so once again do not die early.

I think the new role of a light tank is far more fun now.  I am rarely passive, maybe 15 to 20 seconds early in the battle where I can spot approaching reds only to fall back and let other green tanks get into a better position. Then I am on the move doing my thing looking for opportunities to kill reds.

DefiantSpurr #24 Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Major

• Players
  • 13963 battles
  • [BNKR]

I'm going to say it again.

One of the biggest flaws with this game is the "tank class" system.

It makes people think that a certain tanks has a specific role, that it MUST adhere to in ALL situations.

Which is just wrong.

Your tanks tactics will change for each map, each red team, each green team... Each tier and load out/crew level.

Hell for each stage of the battle it should adapt and change.

Subscribe to my YouTube! 

https://www.youtube....ser/immortalfae

DefiantSpurr #25 Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

Major

• Players
  • 13963 battles
  • [BNKR]
And sorry to burst your bubble, but passive scouting was NEVER the only way to light tank.

Subscribe to my YouTube! 

https://www.youtube....ser/immortalfae

The Turkey Tank #26 Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

Major

• WoTC Online Contributor
  • 32176 battles
  • [IMTLZ]

View PostDefiantSpurr, on 19 May 2019 - 04:17 AM, said:

And sorry to burst your bubble, but passive scouting was NEVER the only way to light tank.

Whats this passive scouting you speak of?

WN8:4100   Twitch   My Youtube  LTTB Guide  Ru 251 Guide Batchat 25t.

Signature by Desyatnik Pansy General Scout Tips & Tricks

scwirpeo #27 Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Major

• Players
  • 40210 battles
  • [CRY]

It's difficult to get spotting assistance after the viewrange changes. Most people want to get exp, and if you have to share assistance with the 9 TDs with binocs (equipment that shouldn't even be available for heavys or TDs honestly) they won't really be rewarded. Making those scout  plays won't get them enough exp for them to learn spotting is an effective way to play.

Most players learn the game as they go up with the almost zero feedback WG gives you. So average players don't know about YouTube or the better way to do things. This results in them being very crap. It's like how if heavys got XP for blocking damage they would make an effort to block damage, but they don't so we have tons of red line E-100s.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

ThermalStone #28 Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 30508 battles
  • [80085]

Light tankers should be judged on damage like every other tank class.  A light tank is a highly mobile gun platform, capable of surgically delivering damage to key points on a battlefield, eliminating weak or isolated enemy tanks and intervening in brawls to keep teammates alive.  Besides, the same tactics that produce high damage games in lights also give plenty of spotting damage.

The t-50-2 will pen nearly anything at tier 8.  it's got a great APCR shell and the speed to flank heavily armored targets.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

SPUK4U #29 Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 8607 battles

View PostZCFlayer, on 19 May 2019 - 12:31 AM, said:

It's a two way street. Nothing more annoying when driving a Light than to light up reds and see nobody from the greens taking advantage.

That's what I used to think before I realized that it's all about visibility range, if they can't see what you spot they can't shoot it.  Nobody is going to pass an opportunity to drop shell into target in the safe distance, but if Light tank spots target more than 560m from shooter, there is no target to shoot even if light tank spots it.   A good light tank can spot things up to 445m and this technically means that light tank has to stay about one or two map square ahead of those that shoot.  Now arty is different thing, if Light tank spots for arty it can go far as enemy cap. Still, Light tank needs to keep it in mind that arty misses a lot 70% of it's shots and it's reload can be long so it takes patience to sport for arty only and is not worth of the risk. Usually arty also turns to shoot attacking heavy tanks so it does not have time to shoot distant targets that rogue light tank spots. So spotting still gives something if Light tank does not go too far.  

- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

Koncorde #30 Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 23703 battles
Move up, find a position that offers the most map to be seen from the most angles, pop binocs, camp and farm spotting damage. Retreat when enemy lights appear and draw them into the line of fire of your teammates.

Do not solo. Do not YOLO. Do not go over that ridge, just poke your turret slowly and then retreat.

Most lights die because they either can't handle the speed and crash, YOLO into positions that overextend their support, or run into better lights and mediums who mop them up and leave your team at a disadvantage for the next 3 minutes as you all die because your eyes on the field have rage quit.

Once the field opens up due to tanks deaths etc, or if you see an isolated tank - then you can YOLO around and ruin people by using your weaker pen but higher ROF on weakspots.

Obviously if you are in one of the new 9's or 10's you can ignore this and just pen anyone you like anyway. Because, balance.

blushrts #31 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9883 battles

View PostEl Materdor43, on 18 May 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

I’m more concerned about the role of the heavy tank. The should be taking the point, leading the charge, that sort of thing. They should be helping their team

I mostly play heavies and try and push, but the change in the light tank meta often leads to you leading the charge, and being shot in the back by the red team lights. 

x_BAlN_x #32 Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 55295 battles
Got bored with your video after the first minute.

Pit Friend #33 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32306 battles
  • [PTATO]
You know Light tanks keep their Camo on the move right? 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

CatSnipah #34 Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24937 battles
  • [BNKR]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 May 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Quiet you. Not like you know anything about playing light tanks. 

:trollface:

Saerbhreathach #35 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 21898 battles

A good scout can flip from passive to active in a blink of an eye. A good scout can read the battlefield and will determine when it's the right time to flip from passive to active or active back to passive again. A good scout is NEVER locked to one way of playing, a good scout is fluid and can adapt to any given situation in less time than the average person can adapt. And so scouts require a fair amount of game knowledge and skill to do well in.

With that said, WG have created the current scout "ecosystem" by not providing sufficient training AND for the longest time the map rotation really wasn't the best for scouts, too many small corridor maps. These combined lead to several "generations" of scouts not learning the trade, never fully understanding the fine line between yolo scout and active scout or camper scout and passive scout, never learning how to combine the two scout styles. 

A scouts main role is recon, fundamentally speaking, but their not locked to just that singular role. They are as well great damage dealers, distractions and bullies IF played right and to the strengths of your light tank and this changes based off of the type of scout your in just like any other tank class... As I said a good scout commander is fluid and can adapt at a whim to any given situation while as well utilizing their light tank to it's fullest potential.

A scouts role isn't set in stone, be adaptive and willing to change tactics when needed. ;):)

woods sniper #36 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32466 battles
This is because people do not understand what passive scouting is. I find if I go into a passive scouting role one of my team mates is nice enough to push me out of my hiding spot so I immediately get lit up and destroyed. Or you get the messages telling you to "get" into the fight. They think if you are not shooting, you are not helping.

El Materdor43 #37 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31476 battles
  • [HACKS]

View Postblushrts, on 19 May 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

I mostly play heavies and try and push, but the change in the light tank meta often leads to you leading the charge, and being shot in the back by the red team lights. 

It’s always been that way, particularly with bad teams. It used to be that if you went the lakeville Valley, you could count on getting shot from behind 9/10 times. Light tank playstyle didn’t influence that 

pingwrx #38 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22686 battles
  • [REDIT]

View Postgbsman812, on 18 May 2019 - 06:36 PM, said:

Well, I can see those  guys playing their light tanks like that. for me if i'm in the Tippy 50-2 it depends on the MM, if i'm in a Tier 8 match, I know my 57mm gun is not gonna pin them tier 8s. so I concentrate on spotting for the team  keeping the reds lit up and maybe some track damage. if the MM is good for me, I spot targets, then fall back and get ready to engage tanks and do damage. if i'm in the awful panther, I have a really good gun  so I engage tanks while at the same time getting some spots in. so, it depends on the battle situation

Pretty obvious you don’t really know how to really play lights besides spotting the gun is there for a reason to shoot tanks. I consider myself a slightly above average light tanker but someone that at least knows how to do damage.

You T-50-2 wr=48% avg dmg=465  Aufkl Panther wr=51% avg dmg=756 

Me. T-50-2 wr=56% avg dmg=928 Aufkl Panther wr=59% avg dmg=1,363

TheOnlyTrueNoob #39 Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 17539 battles
  • [KAPPA]

View PostThe Turkey Tank, on 19 May 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

A wot streamer I watch told me it's a bad way of scouting and that you won't get scout medals from it. :hiding:

2/3 Marked Tanks

duc888sps #40 Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21782 battles

I think it's been said before but this is in some part a map problem.  Since the introduction of tier 9-10 lites and the speed they are capable of, maps get smaller very quickly.

Passive spotting on Ensk, Ruinderp or any other postage size stamp map is not going to happen.  Added to that the lack of busch because of the continued need to support archaic platforms and it's pretty much game over.

Ridiculous state of affairs all round really.  Just keep pumping out cash cows and stifle the very game itself through lack of continued development for the core game.

I guess a suitable analogy would be putting a 6 litre V12 engine in a stock Ford Fiesta chassis, initially fun but it's not going to stay that way forever.

It really is starting to get very dull .........

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users