"Unicums don't get shot at"

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

ThermalStone #1 Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

Major

• Players
  • 32949 battles
  • [80085]

That's what my friend was saying last night playing with me and having played with some other unicums earlier.  And he's right: unicums don't get shot at much.  It's a little discussed aspect of skill but extremely important:  how to make yourself a difficult target so the enemy gives up on you and shoots at someone easier.  

The difference between unicums and lesser players is that unicums shoot a lot more.  One way to shoot more is to stay alive longer by never giving the enemy a clean shot.  I'm always conscious of the nearest hard cover when I position my tank and start shooting.  If I know I'll be detected when I expose myself to shoot, I will fire half aimed or lock on aimed shots, then immediately pull back to cover.  I don't want to give the enemy any time to aim a shot at me. 

Snap shotting is where you hit the lock on button to snap your turret onto a target then immediately pull the trigger.  (Depending on the situation and your tank you might wait a second or two to fire.)  Judging by how infrequently I get shot while peaking, very few players actually use snap shots, but it's a great way to fire while only exposing yourself for a few seconds.  It's usually better to miss a shot but not take return fire than it is to get a penetration but take a hit, especially in early game.  If you miss, you can always reload and shoot again.  If you get penned, those hit points are gone forever.

When you get caught without cover, constant motion and changing the angle of your tank will slow down the enemy dpm and force him to readjust his aim.  How do I know if the player I'm shooting at is bad?  He's sitting still trying to carefully place his shots and barely moves at all during reload.  I only sit still if I'm undetected or if I'm willing to trade and don't care if I get hit.

The best way to not get shot is to let your teammates take the hits for you.  If you are making yourself a harder target than a nearby teammate through cover and movement, he is going to get shot at first, giving you more time to shoot without retaliation.  This works especially well against artillery, who can't afford to shoot at difficult targets with their long reloads.  They will nearly always shoot at what they think they have the best chance of hitting.  It's like the old joke:  you and your friend are being chased by a hungry bear.  You don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun your friend.

Use teammates as distractions.  When most players brawl, they get tunnel vision and can only see the first tank they engage.  Don't be the first tank to join the fight.  Let your teammate provoke the enemy first and watch as his barrel sweeps right over an easy shot on you as he tries to catch up with your teammate.  Starting a brawl is a great way to trade hit points.  Intervening in a brawl is a great way to score free damage and bail out a teammate so he can keep taking hits for you,  

As a last resort, just use your teammates as cover/meatshields.  Don't park behind them and block them, that's a [edited]move.  Rather slide back and forth as your teammate does the same.  Think of it as two cars pulling in and out of diagonal parking spaces.  When your teammate pulls out at an angle to shoot the enemy, pull out parallel to him so his tank covers yours.  When he trades with the enemy, that's a chance for you to get in a free shot.  

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

SPUK4U #2 Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:05 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 11333 battles
As you mentioned that you are hard target for arty that can't afford to miss. I had to post my arty point of view. I do similar snapshots in arty. I fire unaimed or partly aimed regular HE shell shots with my arty. This shows enemy that they are targeted by arty and they start to pay more attention not to get hit by arty than enemy in front of them. They don't know that evasive moves are waste of time as I just haraze them and while they move next unaimed shell is going to some other tank.  After while they settle in and again ground exploded near them and they have to start evasive moves again. If they don't move, next shell that comes in is fully aimed premium HE shell. 
- Ask, Observe, Learn and Improve -

Restless_Vermin #3 Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 38682 battles

Great advice! I’m no uni but a snapped shot HE shell may just track a target or knock out a gun and if there’s no return fire it’s always worth a punt! I’m currently grinding out all the tier Xs off the conqueror and not really being a heavy tank player it’s teaching me how to hull down correctly especially as nearly every battle is against tier Xs. 

moeggsy #4 Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31108 battles
  • [GRUMP]

Good read. Only problem is trying to playing like a Uni in games lasting only 5 minutes if your lucky. Hard to attempt a carry when there's only 3 to 4 of us greens left alive or you roll the reds in minutes.

Sammael85 #5 Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:56 AM

Major

• Players
  • 25570 battles
  • [FAC]
...Or else your "teammates" decides to cap even if there are people just wiping out the rest of your team.

There's an unavoidable component in Unicums and it's luck, something one can't just simply replace with tactical and technical acknowledge no matter how much you apply.

Elefanterible #6 Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 23212 battles
  • [OMAHA]
Good reed OP. Very interesting points over here but doesnt this make you a less of team player?What i mean  is that if you let your teammates take the hits for you,use teammates as distractions,let your teammate provoke the enemy first,use your teammates as cover/meatshields will help you improve your stats but defenitly won`t help your teammate :teethhappy:. Then again unicums have much better win rates that on the end are team dependant ,a bit of a paradox dont you think? 

DAD Commander72 #7 Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22234 battles
I have come to see Win rate as more important than individual rating, but this is great advice.

ThermalStone #8 Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32949 battles
  • [80085]

View PostIznogudGadny, on 20 May 2019 - 03:29 AM, said:

Good reed OP. Very interesting points over here but doesnt this make you a less of team player?What i mean  is that if you let your teammates take the hits for you,use teammates as distractions,let your teammate provoke the enemy first,use your teammates as cover/meatshields will help you improve your stats but defenitly won`t help your teammate :teethhappy:. Then again unicums have much better win rates that on the end are team dependant ,a bit of a paradox dont you think? 

It can be selfish play but my hit points are more valuable and I'm much more likely to carry a team to victory than a random player.  Only save teammates because the enemy won't shoot them if they are dead.  If you're more of a communally oriented player, my advice on cover/snapshots and intervening in brawls still applies.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

Highlordwurm #9 Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17774 battles
I look at greenies as tools to be used.  Don’t get me wrong, they are valuable tools, more valuable alive then dead, but ya, tools.  I want to win, and if greenies are gonna be silly anyways, might as well let them take the hits!  
That being said, I have changed my mindset to keeping my team alive, and if sometimes that means letting this greenie die to save the flank, so be it!  I include myself in that, but I do give myself a bit more weight than an unproven random.  This is all good advice, greens are going to die either way, no one is forcing them to behave how they do, just learning to take advantage of it!  
When I first started I thought yoloing in and trading a red arty for an inexperienced scout was a good trade (probably was considering I had no idea what i was doing), but now I am much more value to my team by staying alive, but I still prioratize the team and the win over my own skin!

Ruelau8405 #10 Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8200 battles
  • [YOLLO]

View PostSammael85, on 20 May 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

...Or else your "teammates" decides to cap even if there are people just wiping out the rest of your team.

There's an unavoidable component in Unicums and it's luck, something one can't just simply replace with tactical and technical acknowledge no matter how much you apply.

Luck? You must be joking mate...unicums performance is incredible in most types of tanks and during 15.000, 20.000 or even more battles. You cannot be just lucky for so long

donny007-THX #11 Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22905 battles
Thanks for posting this.  Insights that are useful are appreciated, and needed to get better.  Have gone from dead red up through green cumulative.  Have so many horrible red games when I started I doubt I will get past green so my goal is to get the daily play to blue.....

Edited by donny007-THX, 23 May 2019 - 03:10 PM.

When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said, the man with a pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true. Go ahead, load up and shoot.

BlakSkull3 #12 Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 13702 battles
What a stupid word.

Sammael85 #13 Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25570 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostRuelau8405, on 23 May 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Luck? You must be joking mate...unicums performance is incredible in most types of tanks and during 15.000, 20.000 or even more battles. You cannot be just lucky for so long

Luck doesn't translate into having superb games one after another, the most slight and tiny detail can make a difference.

Luck can be just surviving a shot that just should have destroyed you, allowing you time to put another couple shots even being cornered or else just having a bounce with a tank that has no armor at all. Those tiny things in several games add up to the point and that is even more evident when you see and read people with purple numbers that has less and even no idea compared with other people with blue and even green numbers.

EDIT: If only skills were taken into account, the ammount of unicums (and even blusies) would be greater than this

Ruelau8405 #14 Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:20 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 8200 battles
  • [YOLLO]

View PostSammael85, on 23 May 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

Luck can be just surviving a shot that just should have destroyed you, allowing you time to put another couple shots even being cornered or else just having a bounce with a tank that has no armor at all. Those tiny things in several games add up to the point and that is even more evident when you see and read people with purple numbers that has less and even no idea compared with other people with blue and even green numbers.

So, they are at one shot every single battle they play and magical Stalinium armor appears (insert soviet anthem here:trollface:) so they can bounce a couple of shots and after that, they kill 3 tanks and do like 3K damage...I don't think so at all. Every time I watch gameplays from unicum players like Clone guy, Turkey Tank, some replays posted by Hincul_tv, etc. what I really see instead of luck is ability. They know the maps, where to go depending on their tank, enemy tanks weak spots, to be defensive when needed and to attack when it is safe to be exposed...all of these things in the majority of the battles they play and these are things that the majority of us are unable to do.

SirlceCream #15 Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19421 battles
  • [4LOST]

View PostSammael85, on 23 May 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

Luck doesn't translate into having superb games one after another, the most slight and tiny detail can make a difference.

EDIT: If only skills were taken into account, the ammount of unicums (and even blusies) would be greater than this

This^^

But you forgot that every unicum is only spamming premium and is stat padding. Other than that there isnt any difference between greens and unis. Furthermore WN8 does not reflect true skill. When i play my light and lit up 10 tanks + arty at the beginning of the match and die while nobody is shooting on them i get red WN8! Only because my team is dumb and dont support me. thats not fair!

3. Marked Tanks: 85

Koncorde #16 Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24921 battles
To quote; "I don't believe in luck, but I do believe you need it".

Luck doesn't explain anything, unless you are saying that people make their own luck - which is a truism.

Unicums platoon, use the better tanks wherever possible, exploit the map well, and generally play the positions that enable them to do better because they know they are harder to pen, or makes it easier for them to pen their foe. It's only "luck" when it comes to RNG, bit even there they are playing to maximise it's favour to them.

Sammael85 #17 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25570 battles
  • [FAC]

View PostRuelau8405, on 24 May 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

So, they are at one shot every single battle they play and magical Stalinium armor appears (insert soviet anthem here:trollface:) so they can bounce a couple of shots and after that, they kill 3 tanks and do like 3K damage...I don't think so at all. Every time I watch gameplays from unicum players like Clone guy, Turkey Tank, some replays posted by Hincul_tv, etc. what I really see instead of luck is ability. They know the maps, where to go depending on their tank, enemy tanks weak spots, to be defensive when needed and to attack when it is safe to be exposed...all of these things in the majority of the battles they play and these are things that the majority of us are unable to do.

You haven't understand my point at all, whereas these two people actually do. Specially in Koncorde's blackened part (which i resalted myself)

View PostSirlceCream, on 24 May 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

But you forgot that every unicum is only spamming premium and is stat padding. Other than that there isnt any difference between greens and unis. Furthermore WN8 does not reflect true skill. When i play my light and lit up 10 tanks + arty at the beginning of the match and die while nobody is shooting on them i get red WN8! Only because my team is dumb and dont support me. thats not fair!

In this quote we can read what is actually a good way of playing neglected by their team and the innacuracies of a metric statistic that prioritices direct damage over anything. Sometimes i do feel obligated to use my lights like bad mediums because of this. giving less to none attention to detect and assist as nobody is about to shoot what i detect or else the risk is way too high than the ransom.

View PostKoncorde, on 24 May 2019 - 01:36 PM, said:

To quote; "I don't believe in luck, but I do believe you need it".

Luck doesn't explain anything, unless you are saying that people make their own luck - which is a truism.

Unicums platoon, use the better tanks wherever possible, exploit the map well, and generally play the positions that enable them to do better because they know they are harder to pen, or makes it easier for them to pen their foe. It's only "luck" when it comes to RNG, bit even there they are playing to maximise it's favour to them.

Actually, my point is way closer to this, but in the realistic-negative spectrum. You can have all the available knowledge on everything, the necessary map awareness and all. And still there's a variable called RNG that makes every result oscilate in a total 50% adding both the positive and negative variations.

You can play like an unicum using their same tanks, loadout, platooning with people at that level and still don't get there because the game decides today it's about to defecate on you (specially when you're paired a "special" kind of muppet that only plays to ruin you pushing you out of cover, etc.). That's the ultimate variable and you can't do anything to avoid it. But to play to the maximum extends to counterfait it.

P6X330 #18 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 16054 battles
  • [AMXS]

The technique to acquire a target using auto-aim, and to immediately shoot is only effective if you have a tank that has a "decent" aim time.

Personally, the tanks I play have longer aim time, and snapping a shot on auto-aim even if the target is still is a lost shot. I have added a little twist to that auto-aim/shoot strategy; I don't pull the trigger immediately, but only when I retreat. Often, I hit the terrain, or the rock I am retreating behind, because the shot comes out too late (this is where lag works against you). But when everything works I get that shot to hit, not always pen.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Koncorde #19 Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 24921 battles

Pre-aiming is the solution, that and learning how to use your speed to control your bloom and dispersion - and when to snipe. The French tanks are all a little bit meh on the gun quality because most have some form of autoloader to compensate, and I will be the first to admit that I would actually prefer playing most of the French tanks with a normal gun mechanism over the autoloader system (only the Lycan seems to agree with me) because of the aim time and shot dispersion issues.

But still, once in battle the objective of the French lights is to not just spot, but to spot from a position that offers shots from a static position into the side armour of the enemy. You see too many French yolo's, or cowards. Both are detrimental, one because it eliminates its gun from the game and wastes valuable rounds trying to fight another light, the other because it never gets in a position to contribute until it is too late.

French lights should be letting the other lights take the lead, then looking for the obvious victim while hiding behind a rock, stationary, and firing the clip before bugging out.

DAD Commander72 #20 Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22234 battles
Win rate is really the biggest indicator, not some arbitrary stat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users