• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

KillerEwok95 #21 Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Corporal

• Players
  • 12512 battles
  • [LOGIC]

View PostSammael85, on 20 May 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

...Or else your "teammates" decides to cap even if there are people just wiping out the rest of your team.

There's an unavoidable component in Unicums and it's luck, something one can't just simply replace with tactical and technical acknowledge no matter how much you apply.

Luck effects everyone equally I have probably died countless times to 'red' players or failed to kill them because of my 'bad luck' or their 'good luck', I will do everything I can to tip the odds in my favour so 'luck' falls on my side. For example, say if I'm on a one shot in a tank with no armour and out in the open and an enemy tank comes around the corner 100m away no matter what tank it is I will know it's aim time and dispersion values so I know quite accurately how long they will aim for, so I can mentally time it and at the moment I think they will fire I would turn my tracks so they absorb the shot. From the outside looking in you would say "that guy is so lucky he abosorbed the kill shot", of course there is an element of luck still RNG could've put the shot right on my front plate or on the moon, but the point is that I used all my game knowledge and did everything I possibly could to get that 'lucky' shot into my tracks so I could live. If I were to just reverse in a straight line like a 'less experienced' player might do I would die just as much as them, a lucky miracle bounce will not save me any more or less times than them just because I'm a unicum.

I am no more lucky or unlucky than any other player, just like everyone else I have lost many games through an unlucky shot or lost a duel because the opponent got a lucky shot, I just do everything I can to rig luck in my favour which gives the illusion that I and other unicums have better luck than other players when we really don't.

Remember When Under Pressure, Keep Calm and Yub Nub.

rick007cmx1 #22 Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 58264 battles

View PostElefanterible, on 20 May 2019 - 05:29 AM, said:

Good reed OP. Very interesting points over here but doesnt this make you a less of team player?What i mean  is that if you let your teammates take the hits for you,use teammates as distractions,let your teammate provoke the enemy first,use your teammates as cover/meatshields will help you improve your stats but defenitly won`t help your teammate :teethhappy:. Then again unicums have much better win rates that on the end are team dependant ,a bit of a paradox dont you think?

Top tier heavies are exception, they HAVE to advance to set the front line. Otherwise those uni's, artys, and TDs can't shoot and remain undetected.

DAD Commander72 #23 Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles

View PostThermalStone, on 20 May 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

That's what my friend was saying last night playing with me and having played with some other unicums earlier.  And he's right: unicums don't get shot at much.  It's a little discussed aspect of skill but extremely important:  how to make yourself a difficult target so the enemy gives up on you and shoots at someone easier.  

The difference between unicums and lesser players is that unicums shoot a lot more.  One way to shoot more is to stay alive longer by never giving the enemy a clean shot.  I'm always conscious of the nearest hard cover when I position my tank and start shooting.  If I know I'll be detected when I expose myself to shoot, I will fire half aimed or lock on aimed shots, then immediately pull back to cover.  I don't want to give the enemy any time to aim a shot at me. 

Snap shotting is where you hit the lock on button to snap your turret onto a target then immediately pull the trigger.  (Depending on the situation and your tank you might wait a second or two to fire.)  Judging by how infrequently I get shot while peaking, very few players actually use snap shots, but it's a great way to fire while only exposing yourself for a few seconds.  It's usually better to miss a shot but not take return fire than it is to get a penetration but take a hit, especially in early game.  If you miss, you can always reload and shoot again.  If you get penned, those hit points are gone forever.

When you get caught without cover, constant motion and changing the angle of your tank will slow down the enemy dpm and force him to readjust his aim.  How do I know if the player I'm shooting at is bad?  He's sitting still trying to carefully place his shots and barely moves at all during reload.  I only sit still if I'm undetected or if I'm willing to trade and don't care if I get hit.

The best way to not get shot is to let your teammates take the hits for you.  If you are making yourself a harder target than a nearby teammate through cover and movement, he is going to get shot at first, giving you more time to shoot without retaliation.  This works especially well against artillery, who can't afford to shoot at difficult targets with their long reloads.  They will nearly always shoot at what they think they have the best chance of hitting.  It's like the old joke:  you and your friend are being chased by a hungry bear.  You don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun your friend.

Use teammates as distractions.  When most players brawl, they get tunnel vision and can only see the first tank they engage.  Don't be the first tank to join the fight.  Let your teammate provoke the enemy first and watch as his barrel sweeps right over an easy shot on you as he tries to catch up with your teammate.  Starting a brawl is a great way to trade hit points.  Intervening in a brawl is a great way to score free damage and bail out a teammate so he can keep taking hits for you,  

As a last resort, just use your teammates as cover/meatshields.  Don't park behind them and block them, that's a [edited]move.  Rather slide back and forth as your teammate does the same.  Think of it as two cars pulling in and out of diagonal parking spaces.  When your teammate pulls out at an angle to shoot the enemy, pull out parallel to him so his tank covers yours.  When he trades with the enemy, that's a chance for you to get in a free shot.  

I think this is a great post. I just wish I could figure out how to increase my survival rate. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

ThermalStone #24 Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32977 battles
  • [80085]

View PostDAD Commander72, on 26 June 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

I think this is a great post. I just wish I could figure out how to increase my survival rate. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

I wouldn't focus on survival rate too much.  When I started playing at a unicum level my rate actually went down a couple points because I was trading my tank for a few extra chances to shoot at the end of games.  The important thing is to still be around in the final stages of the game when things get more fluid and to try to have enough hit points left to take couple of shots so you can make trades.  That's how to win close games.  Then you have to figure out how to do it consistently while being an active participant throughout the entire game.  In the vast majority games where I don't get crapped on early I finish first or second in shots fired, even in games full of light tanks when I have heavy with a 9 or 10 second reload, because I am shooting constantly while trying to stay alive.

Edited by ThermalStone, 26 June 2019 - 01:54 PM.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

squiggle_xx #25 Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:50 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 22299 battles
  • [-ONE-]
Us unicums get shot at more then you think

DAD Commander72 #26 Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles

View PostThermalStone, on 26 June 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

I wouldn't focus on survival rate too much.  When I started playing at a unicum level my rate actually went down a couple points because I was trading my tank for a few extra chances to shoot at the end of games.  The important thing is to still be around in the final stages of the game when things get more fluid and to try to have enough hit points left to take couple of shots so you can make trades.  That's how to win close games.  Then you have to figure out how to do it consistently while being an active participant throughout the entire game.  In the vast majority games where I don't get crapped on early I finish first or second in shots fired, even in games full of light tanks when I have heavy with a 9 or 10 second reload, because I am shooting constantly while trying to stay alive.

This is a great idea, I notice I have a low survival rate so I will look at this but camping is not the answer either.

Koncorde #27 Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24921 battles
My survival rate is quite low for my winrate and damage ratio because I often use every hitpoint possible.

It also means I lose matches where a better player would have saved a few hundred.

So while survival rate isn't the be-all, as you get better it will become something you have much more control over.

BlahCarnivore6 #28 Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10028 battles
  • [12PZR]

View PostKoncorde, on 26 May 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

Pre-aiming is the solution, that and learning how to use your speed to control your bloom and dispersion - and when to snipe. The French tanks are all a little bit meh on the gun quality because most have some form of autoloader to compensate, and I will be the first to admit that I would actually prefer playing most of the French tanks with a normal gun mechanism over the autoloader system (only the Lycan seems to agree with me) because of the aim time and shot dispersion issues.

But still, once in battle the objective of the French lights is to not just spot, but to spot from a position that offers shots from a static position into the side armour of the enemy. You see too many French yolo's, or cowards. Both are detrimental, one because it eliminates its gun from the game and wastes valuable rounds trying to fight another light, the other because it never gets in a position to contribute until it is too late.

French lights should be letting the other lights take the lead, then looking for the obvious victim while hiding behind a rock, stationary, and firing the clip before bugging out.

This is a great perspective, I have been the French light "coward" where I try to find a position, several times over, but can't make it work. I also will be in the chaffee or 13-57 realizing I am the only light on the team, but feel responsible for spotting the reds. This is a tough battle tactic to make a decision, let the mediums spot or play middle map or stay 2nd line and support a group. The decision is based on too many variables. I try to fall back on the light term of staying alive to later gameplay, but I am too aggressive most times to do so.

The hard part is watching your team to see if they are in position to support you. Plus the myriad of other variables that come into play.

I once played my T29, top tier, like Turkey Tank, and went for a light position in a forward position and all the lower tier greens supported me. It felt great even though I was middle 5 for the finish and win.

DAD Commander72 #29 Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
Question, is it: ""Unicums don't get shot at" or "Unicums don't get shot?"

ThermalStone #30 Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32977 battles
  • [80085]

View PostDAD Commander72, on 03 July 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Question, is it: ""Unicums don't get shot at" or "Unicums don't get shot?"

Both.  If you make yourself a difficult target a lot of enemies will just stop shooting at you, especially if you are near an easier target.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

DAD Commander72 #31 Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
ThermalStone you the man!

DAD Commander72 #32 Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles

View PostDAD Commander72, on 03 July 2019 - 07:16 PM, said:

ThermalStone you the man!

I mean the tanker.

Albapfalzd3 #33 Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 22963 battles

One thing I have noticed while looking at quite a few of these "Uni's" stats is that while many of them may have quite a few tanks that they have played some matches in, almost all of them have a few tanks that they have played a lot of matches in, thousands, and that is where I think many of them are getting their good numbers from. They have a particular tank or two that they are very good in and play those a lot.  I have just over 20K battles and have currently yet to play a tank more than 330 matches in. Why, I am trying to grind out all the lines I can. Having said that I believe that the overlying theme of this post is correct, shoot more and don't get shot. However with these 4 minute steam rolls that can be very difficult at times. 

Roy

DAD Commander72 #34 Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
I am sure they play good tanks they are especially suited too, but that of course is only part of it.

pingwrx #35 Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24333 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostDAD Commander72, on 05 July 2019 - 05:40 AM, said:

I am sure they play good tanks they are especially suited too, but that of course is only part of it.

Much more  than just about the tanks things like map positioning reading the flow of battle not losing hp early but doing early damage getting free early damage etc.

Koncorde #36 Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 24921 battles
The "good tank" thing is important though. You'll find most Uni's club around tanks where there is mobility and accuracy in the gun. Those that play heavy tanks, do so in those that have the easiest to exploit auto bounce angles and have the guns that mean they don't have to trade shots at a loss.

This isn't to say that they can't do well in an E100 (they do) but that a 430U is more flexible while retaining armour that can trouble a lot of tanks, and the mobility to reposition and exploit more regions of a map (and of course avoid arty).

DAD Commander72 #37 Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
To put up stats like that, Unicums have to be doing everything right, at least that is my guess.

Ozgur72 #38 Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

Private

• Players
  • 10127 battles
  • [-IQ-]
Thats why unicums are good with lights and soft skinned mediums. They teach how to avoid shots in the first place

DAD Commander72 #39 Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22262 battles
I've been thinking also, I bet Unicums are very good shots. I bet they miss less. Think if you play the Skorpion and miss a short or two each game (as I do) and maybe now bounce a shot or two that could maybe pen. That is a big difference in score. Just a thought.

pingwrx #40 Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 24333 battles
  • [REDIT]

View PostDAD Commander72, on 12 July 2019 - 05:07 AM, said:

I've been thinking also, I bet Unicums are very good shots. I bet they miss less. Think if you play the Skorpion and miss a short or two each game (as I do) and maybe now bounce a shot or two that could maybe pen. That is a big difference in score. Just a thought.

Unicums are really no better shots imo than greenies and blueberrys because of rng but they do understand weakspots and positioning better to get better shots alot of times and not take return fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users