AMX M4 mle. 51 (Tier IX)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Stahlbrezel #1 Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27613 battles

I was so flashed when i took out the AMX M4 mle. 51 for the first time. Tier X gun right from start as stock tank. I know the last package need not automatically be the best choice, like eg. the AMX 65T where i prefer the T8 gun over the T9 in the last package. I personally always trade penn/acc over alpha.

But it was pretty sad for me, to find out, that the ROF drops with the next further packages, by 3/4 rounds per minute. Okay u trade ur ROF for speed, sight, AT and armor, but for the cost of an auto-loader-dpm-output. ASMOF the AMX 50 120 dpm are way-way higher than the M4 mle. 51. 

Does anybody has some experience/thoughts to share on that tank? I only had a couple of battles yet and I'm not sure if i can live with it... and maybe just take the slow, blind stock-tank to battle.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta... ~ Aesop

Red Dough Boy #2 Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 27294 battles
  • [APG]
The rate of fire does drop but the turret is a vast improvement and lets you play hull down very well. Doing so bounced 5,000 damage in one of my first few games with the tank. I had to pull my crew to get the light tank part of the Machine done, but last I checked with equipment and a good crew you can get 5 rounds or so a minute, which an even 2,000 dpm is not terrible. This is a patient mans tank though, rushing in will get you fragged pretty quick considering the sides are typical French squish and the obvious lacking rate of fire. Think of it like the T34 at tier 8, find a good hill or spot to cover your hull and put rounds on targets.

If I only had a Baneblade....

GloryAndTrash #3 Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:42 AM

Major

• Players
  • 13613 battles
That tank so nerfed... so slow reloading....
Pre top gun kd = top gun kd on PC wot

Stahlbrezel #4 Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27613 battles

View PostRed Dough Boy, on 20 May 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

The rate of fire does drop but the turret is a vast improvement and lets you play hull down very well. Doing so bounced 5,000 damage in one of my first few games with the tank. I had to pull my crew to get the light tank part of the Machine done, but last I checked with equipment and a good crew you can get 5 rounds or so a minute, which an even 2,000 dpm is not terrible. This is a patient mans tank though, rushing in will get you fragged pretty quick considering the sides are typical French squish and the obvious lacking rate of fire. Think of it like the T34 at tier 8, find a good hill or spot to cover your hull and put rounds on targets.

Thnx for ur insight mate... :)

the Rof (or the tank) doesn't seem to be much of an issue for other tankers here. Personally i think ~2.200 potential dpm (everything! plus food) isn't really lavish. I had a couple of 5k blocked games myself now, as it is frontal a tough nut to crack. But I also had the feeling in these games, this was more caused by the unexperience/incompetence of the reds. As its a rather easy flank-able and rather defenseless (rof-wise) heavy.

P6X330 #5 Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15925 battles
  • [AMXS]

I am playing it alternatively with the AMX Chaffee because of the 2x Xp from the Bravo games; I am plowing my way through to the Mle 54. I am not planning to unlock the 127mm gun at this point.

I do not have that many battles in it, but my initial impression is that it is a bit underwhelming. As long as you are top Tier, and as long as you manage to find a spot where you can hide your lower plate, you can do well, providing the enemy does not use premium, but skills.

In Tier X battles, the picture gets darker. The RoF is disappointing, and enemies in hull down like you are totally immune to any of your shots, when they hit.

So what is left? it is relatively mobile, but not enough to make it something that you can use to flank. It is simply fast enough to get you there with the others.

On battles like Berlin, hull down behind rubble, I bounce shots, but get penned from time to time, while I am seldom penning myself. Conquerors and Super Conquerors are doing better than me.

I have a four skilled crew, but that does not really play too much of a part. And as soon as you are unable to face the enemy with a protected hull, you are dead. Note that it is the same for a lot of tanks, but some have a better rear and sides than the Mle 51.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

Stahlbrezel #6 Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27613 battles

The 120 mm gun is superb on the mle 51... not as good as the Conqs (nothing is as good as the Conqueror imo) but a decent gun with excellent pen. I actually do not have much to struggle with penning. Have plenty of time aiming anyway due to the RoF ;) The difficulty is... there is simply no IX Heavy that can't out-trade you dpm-wise afaik.

I would easily trade the 300mm turret  for the stock-turret with the stock RoF... if i could keep sight and speed. But as the other poster has stated... maybe i'm just not patient enough for that tank. 

Edited by Stahlbrezel, 21 May 2019 - 01:30 PM.

f1mitku #7 Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Major

• Players
  • 47707 battles

It leaves a feeling it tries to be a Conquerror but fails in about everything. But maybe the Conquerror is too good and M4 51 as a whole is not bad tank. Would be good if it wasn’t nerfed but obviously we don’t deserve good tanks on console.

P.S. I also prefer the 120mm gun with better pen and DpM than the alpha for the final gun. 

Don't rush me, I'm waiting for the last moment!

Stahlbrezel #8 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27613 battles

View Postf1mitku, on 22 May 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

But maybe the Conqueror is too good and M4 51 as a whole is not bad tank. 

Ur probably right here... Had now 20something battles in the mle.41 and come along quite well in it.

Asmof my stats on the Mle.41 are way better than on the Conq. Basically because it was such a very long grind to get the competitive gun on the Conq. In the Mle.41  however, you get a competitive gun right from the start! Maybe this justifies the dpm inferiority a little...

Godroyah2000 #9 Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View Postf1mitku, on 22 May 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

It leaves a feeling it tries to be a Conquerror but fails in about everything. But maybe the Conquerror is too good and M4 51 as a whole is not bad tank. Would be good if it wasn’t nerfed but obviously we don’t deserve good tanks on console.

P.S. I also prefer the 120mm gun with better pen and DpM than the alpha for the final gun. 

Agreed; it basically gets a bit better mobility and, in theory, a more reliably frontal plate. It doesn't have the sustained dpm or alpha to trade well though. It's armor becomes pretty useless once the gold starts getting slung (and if you run into someone who slings gold at anything that runs on gas you're pretty f***ed from the first shot). The lower plate feels very inconsistent and really isn't reliable unless you're on perfectly flat ground; I've blocked shot after shot from high pen medium tanks, but the moment you hit any sort of rise or gold rounds start flying you can expect it to get penned like crazy. Thing only really seems good at long range where its weakpoints are hard to hit, or face hugging someone to make your cupola and lower plate invisible. And forget about angling too, courtesy of those god awful cheeks. At the very least it needs the ROF from PC to make it worth it. I've had it block a pretty impressive amount of damage at a distance, but its weakness really shows in urban lane fighting when its weaknesses get much easier to target. Pretty much grinding it at this point only because I've invested so much already and I'm grinding for The Machine.

Edited by Godroyah2000, 21 June 2019 - 02:06 AM.

P6X330 #10 Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15925 battles
  • [AMXS]

Well, as I am playing it more at the moment, I have to admit that it is one of the few tanks which I dread taking out. I never know how the battle will turn out.

My main remark, is that this tank has very little consistency. You have to fight with your turret facing the enemy always. If you try to angle to trade shots with two opponents, you get ammo racked in no time.

I am going to train wet ammo rack next.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

ECT unCOUNTed #11 Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28998 battles

I like this tank, the 120mm is my choice it's a reliable gun with good stats, good hull down and frontal armor. One thing to keep in mind: if you get to fight close and your hull is exposed, i found it's better to face your opponent without angling because the upper hull 'shoulders' left and right become a flat target that is easy to pen for those who know where to shoot.

Lower plate is small and harder to hit than on other tanks, so far i like it better than the tier8.

TheOnlyTrueNoob #12 Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 18305 battles
  • [KAPPA]

Just finished three marking the tank and I like it. It does still need its PC stats though because it is currently a worse Conqueror and is not really a solid competitive alternative.

My loadout was as follows:

120mm gun with 25 AP, 12 APCR, 3 HE

Optics

Rammer

V.Stabs

Small repair and med kit with food

Three marked AMX M4 51

3 Marked Tanks

P6X330 #13 Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15925 battles
  • [AMXS]

I four marked mine. :child:

Four marked AMX M4 51

Edited by P6X330, 24 June 2019 - 03:16 PM.

Godroyah2000 #14 Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 15075 battles

View PostStahlbrezel, on 20 May 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

I was so flashed when i took out the AMX M4 mle. 51 for the first time. Tier X gun right from start as stock tank. I know the last package need not automatically be the best choice, like eg. the AMX 65T where i prefer the T8 gun over the T9 in the last package. I personally always trade penn/acc over alpha.

But it was pretty sad for me, to find out, that the ROF drops with the next further packages, by 3/4 rounds per minute. Okay u trade ur ROF for speed, sight, AT and armor, but for the cost of an auto-loader-dpm-output. ASMOF the AMX 50 120 dpm are way-way higher than the M4 mle. 51. 

Does anybody has some experience/thoughts to share on that tank? I only had a couple of battles yet and I'm not sure if i can live with it... and maybe just take the slow, blind stock-tank to battle.

Sadly my experience was basically that it was just a shittier Conq. It’s got speed over the Conq... and that’s about it. Hull armor is highly susceptible to gold rounds, turret front is soft and often results in a damaged gun even if no health damage is incurred. Prominent weakspot on the turret roof, and ROF is pitiful to the point where you armor alone just isn’t enough to scare off opposition the way the Conq.can. Furthermore, soft shoulders similar to the Type 4 means you can’t even angle the tank. It’s just a bad wannabe Conqueror that for some reason had its ROF dropped though the floor as if it’s gold magnet armor was somehow and equivalent.

Lol, whoops, forgot I commented on this one way back already. Ah well; as you can see my opinion hasn’t altered much

Funktastic Ed #15 Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18996 battles

I combine X2 and X5 XP bonuses to pass this tank as quickly as i can, the M4 54 is the same but better armored with more firepower, so why bother, you get in tier X games nearly each games already.

At least the M4 54 front plate can give you some chance to survive an assault, the 51's hull is paper thin to any premium ammo at this game level, so if you can't hull down you will get pen everytime you show up.

Edited by Funktastic Ed, 21 September 2019 - 07:31 PM.

"Idiots dare everything, that's how you really know they are."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users