I find it odd that there still isn't a Mercenary SPG yet.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

FusionStar287 #1 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20355 battles
  • [JOCO]

I understand that arty really aren't a very popular class so there isn't as much demand for new SPGs, but at the same time it seems like a Mercenary artillery piece would be a good addition. It would provide a new SPG for those players who enjoy playing the class (something we haven't had since the FV305, and not for free since the T18 was changed into an SPG), it wouldn't require the effort or resources of adding an entire new line, and at the same time there would be some room to be creative about what the new arty could play like. Of course, there wouldn't be as much customization available for the developers since most arty don't have turrets that could be swapped around, but that hasn't prevented some turretless Mercenary TDs from being added either. 

I know that asking for more Mercenary tanks and more arty in the game at the same time probably isn't a popular opinion, but I really would like to see a Mercenary arty or two added to the game. You could potentially have a new mid tier arty that has a weaker gun, but with an autoloader, there could be an SPG that is made of a BC 155 turret on a medium or heavy hull, or there could even be a higher tier arty that could use a slightly altered tier X TD gun on its platform instead of another SPG's gun. So, what are your thoughts on the potential addition of Mercenary SPGs?

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

"wefWEGFRF" - RaiBOT01, 2017

M4ntiX #2 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27983 battles
  • [JOCO]

Please, pleeeeeeaaaase bring back the down vote button...

If there was one, I could anonymously click on it and express the anger and disappointment I feel reading this thread, without risking my friendship with Fusion.

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

FusionStar287 #3 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20355 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostM4ntiX, on 22 May 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Please, pleeeeeeaaaase bring back the down vote button...

If there was one, I could anonymously click on it and express the anger and disappointment I feel reading this thread, without risking my friendship with Fusion.

So you agree that it's a good idea then? :trollface:

Really, though, I think it could result in a fun arty to play that also isn't as frustrating to play against as other arty. Of course, it could also lead to a tier IX arty with 275mm of pen 183mm HESH shells, but that's a risk I'm willing to take... :P

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Men should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." ~ James 1: 19-20

Afro Palestine #4 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Major

• Players
  • 56208 battles
  • [HKC]

There was, but the other mercs killed and buried it.

(Joke for the arty haters.)

P6X330 #5 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 15710 battles
  • [AMXS]

Funny you should mention it, as I was just about to start a thread about that very topic!

And I have the perfect idea for it: the Soviet Br-5 280mm mortar....

This thing spat a 167 kg projectile that could ripple anything within a 10 meters radius!

It was not a SPG per se, it was on tracks but needed something to pull it, and the RoF was limited because of the gun barrel overheating.

As a Mercenary, WG could install it on what chassis?

Imagine the damage it could do if landing in the middle of an enemy pack.... this could easily be a Tier X tank!

Edited by P6X330, 22 May 2019 - 10:28 PM.

Bad teams are in the same battle. Good teams work together! don't complain, contribute.

FusionStar287 #6 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20355 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostP6X330, on 22 May 2019 - 05:28 PM, said:

Funny you should mention it, as I was just about to start a thread about that very topic!

And I have the perfect idea for it: the Soviet Br-5 280mm mortar....

This thing spat a 167 kg projectile that could ripple anything within a 10 meters radius!

It was not a SPG per se, it was on tracks but needed something to pull it, and the RoF was limited because of the gun barrel overheating.

As a Mercenary, WG could install it on what chassis?

Imagine the damage it could do if landing in the middle of an enemy pack.... this could easily be a Tier X tank!

That gun with a 60-65s reload could actually make for an interesting new tier X SPG. In fact, it could simply be added as a second tier X Russian arty instead of a new Mercenary tank so that you could have both the more accurate, faster firing Object 261 and the much higher damage BR-5 as options.

The more that I think about it the more I like the idea. It would fit the line better, as every arty before it focuses on having a massive gun, it would be a very unique SPG that would provide a much stronger incentive to go down the Russian arty line (which I'd say is the second worst SPG line currently only to the Germans), and it would give arty players a new, fairly unique tank. It could even open a way to the German arty line getting a 305mm gun in the future.

M4ntiX #7 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27983 battles
  • [JOCO]

Edited by M4ntiX, 22 May 2019 - 11:16 PM.

"4 kids single father 2 boats a plane 3cars and more battles than you."

"Jesus you smegheads are whiny about your Epeens."

Joco3000 #8 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:52 PM

Major

• Supertest - Xbox One
  • 26499 battles
  • [JOCO]

I can dig up a thread with some premium SPGs if you'd like?

Autoloaders, ones with 250mm guns, mobile ones and low calibre equipped ones. All sorts of satanmobiles, for the little devils in you.

You can PM with with questions, if you wish. I don't bite.

Compilation thread of my ideas

Salty_Tanker #9 Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20469 battles
  • [GUARD]
The developers said they wouldn’t release a mercenary spg .   It should be here any day now  :great:

“ Never trust a forum member that uses an Anime profile pic .”      - SaltyMcD 

ThermalStone #10 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:04 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31726 battles
  • [80085]
I don't see any reason why not.  Just make the tank low tier or the contract earnable with many other types of tanks so we don't mess up matchmaking.

I'm not stealing kills, I'm handing out Confederate medals.

CatSnipah #11 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:06 PM

Major

• Players
  • 25994 battles
  • [BNKR]

Every time you fire a shot, since it is all rigged-together equipment, there’s a base 15% chance the shell goes off in the breach, destroying your own tank. Destruction chance increases by 3% with each round fired, carrying over from game to game, until you self destruct, at which time it resets.

Add that, and I’ll support your idea for a new merc arty....the abomination combo...merc AND arty. 

FusionStar287 #12 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20355 battles
  • [JOCO]

View PostJoco3000, on 22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

I can dig up a thread with some premium SPGs if you'd like?

Autoloaders, ones with 250mm guns, mobile ones and low calibre equipped ones. All sorts of satanmobiles, for the little devils in you.

Sure, the more ideas the merrier. I would like to see some more tech tree/Mercenary arty than premiums though, as while we have very few premium arty it's been a much longer time since the last earnable/free to purchase arty.

ThunderChickenX #13 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

Major

• Players
  • 15806 battles
  • [TRB]
How about an M53/55 Chassis, with the Sexton 1 gun (but the BatChat 155 58's autoloader reload times), at tier 10? OP tank + OP tank, what could go wrong? :trollface: All the arty players would be set for life!

"Trying is the first step toward failure." - Homer Simpson

I don't upload much, if ever: www.youtube.com/channel/UCu-MJIN-3uT6m-B3LhHj6

For Those Who Care Spoiler

RabidSasquatch0 #14 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:31 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20826 battles
  • [VYPER]

We all know one of the requirements would be something like get a scout medal in your tier 10 british arty or something.

I support the idea, doubt it will end well though.

Salty_Tanker #15 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:35 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 20469 battles
  • [GUARD]
Stage 9 : drown yourself 300 times

“ Never trust a forum member that uses an Anime profile pic .”      - SaltyMcD 

Gallant Prime #16 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:43 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 44338 battles
  • [47R]

Or you could just add some spaced armor to the stock 53/55 and drop it down a tier...

scwirpeo #17 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:47 PM

Major

• Players
  • 40506 battles
  • [CRY]

WG has talked about how the Merc system and Arty are basically incompatible multiple times. You can take any part of any given Arty and add it to another and it won't change the way you play it. It's a waste of time to put them in the game and more importantly a waste of memory.

The point of mercs is to give a new style of tank from multiple other tanks. As Arty can't really do that there's no logic in attempting to build one.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

Very Classy #18 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

Major

• Players
  • 31568 battles
  • [JOCO]
Soviet Arty second worst SPG line?! Nyet, comrade. Big boombushkas. Stronk arta.

There is literally an Xbox 360 in a museum, and this is the best joke you can come up with?
                                                                                         -- allhavoc

Gallant Prime #19 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:55 PM

Major

• WoTC Ambassador
  • 44338 battles
  • [47R]

View Postscwirpeo, on 22 May 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

WG has talked about how the Merc system and Arty are basically incompatible multiple times. You can take any part of any given Arty and add it to another and it won't change the way you play it. It's a waste of time to put them in the game and more importantly a waste of memory.

The point of mercs is to give a new style of tank from multiple other tanks. As Arty can't really do that there's no logic in attempting to build one.

That's a very basic view of it.  There are a lot of tanks in the game and many play exactly the same, but that does not stop them from being added.  I imagine it would take almost no time to put an SPG together stat wise.  It is just a matter of the art guy placing some spaced armor, buckets and what not on.  And the value?  Well I am sure some would spend money on it that it would likely make it worth it.  

And although WG has said many a time, no--the truth is, it keeps getting asked about and they, WG, keep answering.  If it was a firm no, they would not answer, imho.  

The question we have to ask is, would be it be better than an arty already out there, and what would they have people play to get it.  If it is not better, well then you are just putting an arty player in a worse tank.  And if it is a premium, well then we don't have to worry about mm.  

scwirpeo #20 Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:58 PM

Major

• Players
  • 40506 battles
  • [CRY]

View PostGallant Prime, on 22 May 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

That's a very basic view of it.  There are a lot of tanks in the game and many play exactly the same, but that does not stop them from being added.  I imagine it would take almost no time to put an SPG together stat wise.  It is just a matter of the art guy placing some spaced armor, buckets and what not on.  And the value?  Well I am sure some would spend money on it that it would likely make it worth it.  

And although WG has said many a time, no--the truth is, it keeps getting asked about and they, WG, keep answering.  If it was a firm no, they would not answer, imho.  

The question we have to ask is, would be it be better than an arty already out there, and what would they have people play to get it.  If it is not better, well then you are just putting an arty player in a worse tank.  And if it is a premium, well then we don't have to worry about mm.  

They answer those questions because they are easy. They don't like talking about why they won't do the PC Arty rebalance, so they tend to brush that one off. The only questions they won't answer are the ones they don't actually have an argument for or ones that require them to explain themselves. It's the reason they do the same questions on their QA articles repeatedly and completely ignore balance questions on stream.

MOEs so I can pretend like they matter

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users