the map rotation survey

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

HannibalWreckYa #1 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32552 battles
  • [DLETE]
So it seems like that isnt in with this update because im getting city map after city map and none of the selected ones like prok.gg wg

BrogueOne #2 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:50 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22359 battles
  • [ELDER]
That’s because there’s still a chance you’ll get the maps you don’t like.  Terms like “adjusted weighting for increased frequency” or “decreased frequency” doesn’t mean the same thing as “you’ll only get these maps” or “you’ll never get these maps”.  Even on the best of days you can still see a map more than you’d like simply because of the nature of randomness in the system.

Also, the map weighting algorithm is more favorable when you’re consistently playing tanks in the same “battle tier” so that you’re not changing the pool of maps available for that tier.  Since there’s maps you’ll see at say, Tier VI that you’d never see at Tier X, you’ll have a more diverse rotation if you keep to one tier for a session.  The algorithm DOES try to keep track of which maps you’ve played when matchmaking to keep it diverse, but changing tiers can basically reset it.

Again though..... map selection still has a random element.  When I say “random” I’m not talking about a random dude on the bus screaming obscenities for no reason, I’m talking about the concept and mechanics of randomness and their necessity in computer functions.  If you’ve got the time and willingness to look up some videos you’ll find all sorts of explanations on randomness and where/why/how it’s used in everything from video games to PhD science.

HannibalWreckYa #3 Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:01 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32552 battles
  • [DLETE]

View PostBrogueOne, on 24 May 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

That’s because there’s still a chance you’ll get the maps you don’t like. Terms like “adjusted weighting for increased frequency” or “decreased frequency” doesn’t mean the same thing as “you’ll only get these maps” or “you’ll never get these maps”. Even on the best of days you can still see a map more than you’d like simply because of the nature of randomness in the system.

Also, the map weighting algorithm is more favorable when you’re consistently playing tanks in the same “battle tier” so that you’re not changing the pool of maps available for that tier. Since there’s maps you’ll see at say, Tier VI that you’d never see at Tier X, you’ll have a more diverse rotation if you keep to one tier for a session. The algorithm DOES try to keep track of which maps you’ve played when matchmaking to keep it diverse, but changing tiers can basically reset it.

Again though..... map selection still has a random element. When I say “random” I’m not talking about a random dude on the bus screaming obscenities for no reason, I’m talking about the concept and mechanics of randomness and their necessity in computer functions. If you’ve got the time and willingness to look up some videos you’ll find all sorts of explanations on randomness and where/why/how it’s used in everything from video games to PhD science.

Overlord 2 times and pilsen twice aswell in like 12 games.  At least i got a open map but really 3 times in short succesion

HomicidalApple0 #4 Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 2656 battles

View PostHannibalWreckYa, on 24 May 2019 - 03:01 AM, said:

Overlord 2 times and pilsen twice aswell in like 12 games.  At least i got a open map but really 3 times in short succesion

I’ll take those maps over plenty of the others. It didn’t say anywhere you wouldn’t see those two, it’s just random and not the end of the world. The maps require you to play different spots but it’s not like you can’t do well on them regardless of the machine you’re in. Especially overlord. That one suits all play styles well in my opinion 

jprs201024 #5 Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33506 battles

View PostBrogueOne, on 24 May 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

That’s because there’s still a chance you’ll get the maps you don’t like. Terms like “adjusted weighting for increased frequency” or “decreased frequency” doesn’t mean the same thing as “you’ll only get these maps” or “you’ll never get these maps”. Even on the best of days you can still see a map more than you’d like simply because of the nature of randomness in the system.

Also, the map weighting algorithm is more favorable when you’re consistently playing tanks in the same “battle tier” so that you’re not changing the pool of maps available for that tier. Since there’s maps you’ll see at say, Tier VI that you’d never see at Tier X, you’ll have a more diverse rotation if you keep to one tier for a session. The algorithm DOES try to keep track of which maps you’ve played when matchmaking to keep it diverse, but changing tiers can basically reset it.

Again though..... map selection still has a random element. When I say “random” I’m not talking about a random dude on the bus screaming obscenities for no reason, I’m talking about the concept and mechanics of randomness and their necessity in computer functions. If you’ve got the time and willingness to look up some videos you’ll find all sorts of explanations on randomness and where/why/how it’s used in everything from video games to PhD science.

Yesterday, I've made 20 battles, 5 of them it was on the Berlin Map... 2 on Gost Town... 1 on Ruinberg... 

So, I agree with HannibalWreckYah when he said " it seems like that isnt in with this update because im getting city map after city map and none of the selected ones like"...

BrogueOne #6 Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22359 battles
  • [ELDER]

View Postjprs201024, on 24 May 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Yesterday, I've made 20 battles, 5 of them it was on the Berlin Map... 2 on Gost Town... 1 on Ruinberg... 

So, I agree with HannibalWreckYah when he said " it seems like that isnt in with this update because im getting city map after city map and none of the selected ones like"...

So 8 out of 20 games you played were on maps you voted down or don’t like?  That’s less than half of the games you played that day.

D1RT3AGG #7 Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 32129 battles
  • [2D-AD]

Random doesn't mean a thing in WoT. 

Played most of the day yesterday, and randomly found myself on the same maps repeatedly, Dukla, Ardennes, Abbey, and Dragon Ridge.

I got Highway once though.

BrogueOne #8 Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

Major

• Supertest - PS4
  • 22359 battles
  • [ELDER]
Here’s an article explaining randomness in games: http://keithburgun.n...nd-game-design/

Another: https://www.twicecir...mness-in-games/

And a broader article on the Applications of Randomness: https://en.m.wikiped...s_of_randomness

Cobravert #9 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Major

• Players
  • 27130 battles
  • [WPLAC]
So far I haven't seen as much of the repeat, repeat, repeat maps as I had in the past.

redshadowrider #10 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35400 battles

We can argue the definition of "random" all day long and the results will still be the same.  Today, it might be Dumbledorf and Porkorvodka.  Tomorrow, it might be another couple that keep repeating.  I have been here long enough to say that the problem may not be the definition of random, but the definition of repeats.  Add to that, the end of new maps....not reskins, has exacerbated the problem.  WG has, in written form, said that random to them is all maps are equally distributed at the server level each day.  With that definition, theoretically, I could see Erlinberg and Port all day long, but it is still random.  It doesn't matter to me what definition you apply, "constant repeats" are the issue.

PERIOD

I'm just saying.....

SauerKrapp #11 Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33856 battles
  • [47R]

View PostD1RT3AGG, on 24 May 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

Random doesn't mean a thing in WoT. 

Played most of the day yesterday, and randomly found myself on the same maps repeatedly, Dukla, Ardennes, Abbey, and Dragon Ridge.

I got Highway once though.

Wouldn't that be considered "RANDOM"

Haven't we seen this guy on their Thursday community stream?

Edited by SauerKrapp, 24 May 2019 - 05:29 PM.

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

Pit Friend #12 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32091 battles
  • [PTATO]
Still seems to be only picking from a different small pool of the available maps each day. Had Prokhorovka three times yesterday and Steppes three times today in just a couple hours of playing. 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

SauerKrapp #13 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

Major

• Players
  • 33856 battles
  • [47R]

View PostPit Friend, on 24 May 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Still seems to be only picking from a different small pool of the available maps each day. Had Prokhorovka three times yesterday and Steppes three times today in just a couple hours of playing. 

That sounds like a good thing....if you're in the right tanks!

Signature by METALHELLIONx84

HannibalWreckYa #14 Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:32 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32552 battles
  • [DLETE]
I dont mind the repeating as long as its the maps that were in the list of high frequency

redshadowrider #15 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35400 battles

View PostHannibalWreckYa, on 24 May 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

I dont mind the repeating as long as its the maps that were in the list of high frequency

This works if that map or maps didn't make your disliked list.  That's at the heart of the issue.  None of us have an entire list that matches someone else's.  So, if the repeats are on maps you don't like, it can be very aggravating.  The best way to solve this is to fix the rotation, and have all maps on the same frequency.  That way, you get the good and bad, and reduce the constants.  My belief is that WG can't figure out the first part.  The repeat phenomenon is something that exists, and seems it will never change.
I'm just saying.....

killer etzi0 #16 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

Major

• Players
  • 56819 battles
  • [47R]
I am still waiting to see the posted results from said "survey".    I heard a rumor somewhere that Ghost Town supposedly received enough votes to be in the "increased rotation"  map list... really? 

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

Ronald Reagan

redshadowrider #17 Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35400 battles

View Postkiller etzi0, on 25 May 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

I am still waiting to see the posted results from said "survey".    I heard a rumor somewhere that Ghost Town supposedly received enough votes to be in the "increased rotation"  map list... really? 

And there you go....Like you, I hate this map and how it made the list is beyond me.
I'm just saying.....

Pit Friend #18 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

Major

• Players
  • 32091 battles
  • [PTATO]

View Postredshadowrider, on 25 May 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

And there you go....Like you, I hate this map and how it made the list is beyond me.

Probably people voting “ironically” or to deliberately troll the game. 

I asked an EOD man how he dealt with the stress of his job. 

He said he didn’t have any stress. Either he was right or else it became someone else’s problem. 

redshadowrider #19 Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

Major

• Players
  • 35400 battles

View PostPit Friend, on 25 May 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

Probably people voting “ironically” or to deliberately troll the game. 

LOL....seems like they are more successful than my recent performance.  :trollface:
I'm just saying.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users