Jump to content


Today marks.....

Anniversary HMS Hood

  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Saerbhreathach #1 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

The sinking of the HMS Hood.

On this day in 1941 the HMS Hood and and the HMS Price of Whales located and engaged the Bismarck. Roughly 4-7 minutes into the engagement the Bismarck lands a devastating blow to HMS Hood which ignites one of her magazines which in turn explodes and breaks her in two.

1418 sailors on board ranging in age 16-50, out of the 1418 three survive....

 

Three days later on May 27 1941 the British navy track, wound and finally sink the Bismarck as she tried to limp her way to France.

 

I know this is a tank forum BUT it's an important military date, one that should not be forgotten. Had the Bismarck made it to open waters the supply lines crossing the Atlantic would have all been at risk, the Germans probably would have been able to "starve" Britain of much needed supplies. Men like my great grandfather who sailed in the merchant navy would have been at even more risk than they already were.

 

Today marks an important day, one that most certainly effected the outcome of the war. :honoring:



Saerbhreathach #2 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

Just in case anyone is interested. :)

 

Edit.

Don't know why but the link starts where I left off.....and I can't figure out how to fix it....lol. my bad. :P



BrogueOne #3 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22916 battles
  • 10,218
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016


Plum1973 #4 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 439 battles
  • 327
  • Member since:
    12-19-2018

Thanks for info.

Very interesting.

That was lucky (for german fleet) shot.

Some info about huge cruiser

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/HMS_Hood

...Hood remained the largest and most powerful warship in the world for 20 years after her commissioning, and her prestige was reflected in her nickname, "The Mighty Hood".

 

Can I ask ?

There was a second german crusier the Prinz Eugen ?

;-)

The ship was entered service after the outbreak of war, in August 1940.

She was armed with a main battery of eight 20.3 cm (8.0 in) guns and, although nominally under the 10,000-long-ton (10,000 t) limit set by the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, actually displaced over 16,000 long tons (16,000 t).

Sink after nuclear strike on the Pacific Ocean.

Kwajalein Atoll

 

 

What happend with second Hood type battleship ?

(Grand Fllet orderer a few big crusiers like a HOOD during Big War)


Rookie again

Saerbhreathach #5 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostPlum1973, on 24 May 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Thanks for info.

Very interesting.

That was lucky (for german fleet) shot.

Can I ask ?

There was a second german crusier the Prinz Eugen ?

What happend with second Hood type battleship ?

(Grand Fllet orderer a few big crusiers like a HOOD during Big War)

 

 

Yes Prinz Eugen was Bismarck's escort, the Bismarck had radar issues and so Prinz Eugen took the lead that day. If I remember my history right HMS Hood mistook Prinz Eugen for the Bismark and opened fire, little did they know Bismarck was close behind Prinz Eugen lining up her guns...

 

I don't know what happened to Hood's "sister ships", I'll have to do some research. ;):)



Plum1973 #6 Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 439 battles
  • 327
  • Member since:
    12-19-2018

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 24 May 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

 

 

Yes Prinz Eugen was Bismarck's escort, the Bismarck had radar issues and so Prinz Eugen took the lead that day. If I remember my history right HMS Hood mistook Prinz Eugen for the Bismark and opened fire, little did they know Bismarck was close behind Prinz Eugen lining up her guns...

 

I don't know what happened to Hood's "sister ships", I'll have to do some research. ;):)

 

Thanks a lot.

Very interesting


Rookie again

Saerbhreathach #7 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostPlum1973, on 24 May 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

 

Thanks a lot.

Very interesting

 

 

No problem! Another cool fact? Hitler had no idea that Prinz Eugen and Bismarck had sailed not until it was too late. The German navy kept it secret from him, the German navy wanted Bismarck out hunting merchant vessels. This is why Bismarck's sister ship, the Tirpitz, never left German help waters, Hitler was too afraid of loosing her like he did the Bismarck. Only to have the Tirpitz bombed into oblivion in 1944. :)



HomicidalApple0 #8 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 2919 battles
  • 964
  • Member since:
    12-25-2018
Thanks for the videos, definitely going to come back to this thread at work later tonight and wat h this stuff

Saerbhreathach #9 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostHomicidalApple0, on 24 May 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Thanks for the videos, definitely going to come back to this thread at work later tonight and wat h this stuff

 

 

It's an interesting watch if you ask me, the size of the ships and their guns and the ranges they reach utterly blow my mind...We're talking rounds that are as big as a small car being tossed 15km or more. Makes the biggest guns we have in tanks look like little BB guns....:amazed:.



Jodmeister #10 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

    Captain

  • Supertest - Xbox One
  • 18437 battles
  • 1,234
  • [BDGR]
  • Member since:
    08-20-2013

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 24 May 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

 

 

Yes Prinz Eugen was Bismarck's escort, the Bismarck had radar issues and so Prinz Eugen took the lead that day. If I remember my history right HMS Hood mistook Prinz Eugen for the Bismark and opened fire, little did they know Bismarck was close behind Prinz Eugen lining up her guns...

 

I don't know what happened to Hood's "sister ships", I'll have to do some research. ;):)

 

Supposedly Hood was the first of a class of four battlecruisers built and adapted from learnings from Jutland (where Britain lost 3 modern battlecruisers to plunging fire). The remaining three were put on hold as building escort ships to combat Uboats were a priority in the last year of WW1, then cancelled soon after. 

3 MOEs - Nashorn, M36 Jackson, SU-100, S35CA, Matilda IV, Jagdpanzer IV, Archer, Wolverine, Achilles

2 MOEs - Type 58, Pzkpfw T25, WT Pz IV, JagdPanther, SU-100Y, Boilermaker, T20, IS-2, T-34-88, T25/2, Borsig, AMX AC 48, Charioteer, Plaguebringer, PzSflIVC, T67, SU-85


BrogueOne #11 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

    Major

  • Supertest - PS4
  • 22916 battles
  • 10,218
  • [ELDER]
  • Member since:
    01-07-2016

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 24 May 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

 

 

It's an interesting watch if you ask me, the size of the ships and their guns and the ranges they reach utterly blow my mind...We're talking rounds that are as big as a small car being tossed 15km or more. Makes the biggest guns we have in tanks look like little BB guns....:amazed:.

Like the song says..... “guns as big as trees”!   I’ve watched several videos on warships(not to mention experience in historical reenacting) and their operations and it’s an astonishing feat of both engineering and manpower that they can lob those Volkswagens every 30 seconds or so!

 

Fun fact though.... a lot of the 152mm(and smaller) cannons we use on tanks were similar to, or repurposed naval guns.  They were used as secondary armaments, AA defense, and occasionally as the main armaments in the case of some Destroyers and Light Cruisers.  The SU-100Y is quite literally a repurposed naval gun put into a tank at the request of Stalin(or something like that... it’s in the tank’s overview).



Saerbhreathach #12 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostBrogueOne, on 24 May 2019 - 11:06 AM, said:

Like the song says..... “guns as big as trees”!   I’ve watched several videos on warships(not to mention experience in historical reenacting) and their operations and it’s an astonishing feat of both engineering and manpower that they can lob those Volkswagens every 30 seconds or so!

 

Fun fact though.... a lot of the 152mm(and smaller) cannons we use on tanks were similar to, or repurposed naval guns.  They were used as secondary armaments, AA defense, and occasionally as the main armaments in the case of some Destroyers and Light Cruisers.  The SU-100Y is quite literally a repurposed naval gun put into a tank at the request of Stalin(or something like that... it’s in the tank’s overview).

 

 

Nice! Thanks for the info!! :great:

 

Unfortunately it's been a loooooooong time since a navel vessel last made port in my province....I was but a lad the last time I got to go on a tour of both a cruiser and sub....:(



OldRugger51 #13 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19651 battles
  • 530
  • [BAN-1]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

Yep - Lancasters (maybe Wellingtons?) carrying a 20,000lb bomb - ouch!

 

Just watched an excellent documentary on Amazon Prime about a researcher going to find the wrecks of both the Hood and Bismarck. Bismarck was found previously by Robert Ballard, but still needed to be "re-found", and they were able answer some questions Ballard could not due to the older cameras limited technology.

The Hood - creepy-ish, and a surprise about it's demise. Tying in the last survivor to their work was a good moment as well.

 

Advancing age has made me forget the name - going now to find it!

 

Found it - The Battle of Hood and Bismarck: The Sinking of History's Greatest Warships

 


Edited by OldRugger51, 24 May 2019 - 02:48 PM.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” ― H.P. Lovecraft


Saerbhreathach #14 Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 21906 battles
  • 15,090
  • Member since:
    09-14-2013

View PostOldRugger51, on 24 May 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

Yep - Lancasters (maybe Wellingtons?) carrying a 20,000lb bomb - ouch!

 

Just watched an excellent documentary on Amazon Prime about a researcher going to find the wrecks of both the Hood and Bismarck. Bismarck was found previously by Robert Ballard, but still needed to be "re-found", and they were able answer some questions Ballard could not due to the older cameras limited technology.

The Hood - creepy-ish, and a surprise about it's demise. Tying in the last survivor to their work was a good moment as well.

 

Advancing age has made me forget the name - going now to find it!

 

Found it - The Battle of Hood and Bismarck: The Sinking of History's Greatest Warships

 

 

 

I've watched several docs on the subject so far. One of the docs mentions how the 3 survivors from the Hood made it, they think it was one of the Hood's boilers exploding under water creating an air bubble which pushes the 3 survivors to the surface. The recounts of the survivors are [edited]scary man....the one that gets me is the man that was on the observation deck, he sort of starts to break down as he describes the last moments before said observation deck gets obliterated...can't really handle seeing vets break down man..... :(



R35T NO MORE #15 Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 15736 battles
  • 22,867
  • [BNKR-]
  • Member since:
    08-23-2013

View PostPlum1973, on 24 May 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Thanks for info.

Very interesting.

That was lucky (for german fleet) shot.

Some info about huge cruiser

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/HMS_Hood

...Hood remained the largest and most powerful warship in the world for 20 years after her commissioning, and her prestige was reflected in her nickname, "The Mighty Hood".

 

Can I ask ?

There was a second german crusier the Prinz Eugen ?

;-)

The ship was entered service after the outbreak of war, in August 1940.

She was armed with a main battery of eight 20.3 cm (8.0 in) guns and, although nominally under the 10,000-long-ton (10,000 t) limit set by the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, actually displaced over 16,000 long tons (16,000 t).

Sink after nuclear strike on the Pacific Ocean.

Kwajalein Atoll

 

 

What happend with second Hood type battleship ?

(Grand Fllet orderer a few big crusiers like a HOOD during Big War)

Hood was unique from what I remember. We did have a couple of other battle cruisers in WW2 though, Renown and Repulse. The Japanese sank HMS Repulse along with one of the King George V Battleships using aircraft, Prince of Wales I believe. Renown might have survived the war but if she did she would have been scrapped fairly soon after. Can't remember tbh, I'll Google it later 



OldRugger51 #16 Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:15 PM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 19651 battles
  • 530
  • [BAN-1]
  • Member since:
    02-13-2014

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 24 May 2019 - 09:53 AM, said:

 

 

I've watched several docs on the subject so far. One of the docs mentions how the 3 survivors from the Hood made it, they think it was one of the Hood's boilers exploding under water creating an air bubble which pushes the 3 survivors to the surface. The recounts of the survivors are [edited]scary man....the one that gets me is the man that was on the observation deck, he sort of starts to break down as he describes the last moments before said observation deck gets obliterated...can't really handle seeing vets break down man..... :(

 

Yeah, know the feeling, but I thought the way they interacted with Mr. Briggs was very respectful.

Dunno how do to the spoiler thing......anyway, they learned a few new things about the Hood's end, but don't wanna spoil things for folks!


“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” ― H.P. Lovecraft


Pit Friend #17 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 32956 battles
  • 18,093
  • [PTATO]
  • Member since:
    07-14-2014
Hood was a new class of battlecruiser built during WW I.  It had its side armor thickened after the battle of Jutland showed how vulnerable battlecruisers were, but they didn’t reinforce the deck armor.  So Bismark’s shells punched right through the still thinly armored deck and destroyed the pride of the Royal Navy and killed all but three crewmen out of 1,400 in just a few salvoes. 

Una nox dormienda - You only live once (but classier)


Afro Palestine #18 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 56195 battles
  • 4,761
  • [HKC]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View PostSaerbhreathach, on 24 May 2019 - 02:22 PM, said:

 

 

It's an interesting watch if you ask me, the size of the ships and their guns and the ranges they reach utterly blow my mind...We're talking rounds that are as big as a small car being tossed 15km or more. Makes the biggest guns we have in tanks look like little BB guns....:amazed:.

 

Welllll... not quite as big as a small car.  Unless you mean 'as long as', when everything was loaded into the chamber.

Afro Palestine #19 Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 56195 battles
  • 4,761
  • [HKC]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View PostPit Friend, on 24 May 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Hood was a new class of battlecruiser built during WW I.  It had its side armor thickened after the battle of Jutland showed how vulnerable battlecruisers were, but they didn’t reinforce the deck armor.  So Bismark’s shells punched right through the still thinly armored deck and destroyed the pride of the Royal Navy and killed all but three crewmen out of 1,400 in just a few salvoes. 

 

But it had to be more than just a successful punch through the deck.   It had to hit several lucky elements all in row.  It was indeed one shot in a million.

Pit Friend #20 Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

    Major

  • Players
  • 32956 battles
  • 18,093
  • [PTATO]
  • Member since:
    07-14-2014

View PostAfro Palestine, on 24 May 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

 

But it had to be more than just a successful punch through the deck.   It had to hit several lucky elements all in row.  It was indeed one shot in a million.

 

There were better odds of it happening than that. The exact same thing happened to three British battlecruisers very early during the battle of Jutland. Magazine explosions after just a few hits that killed all or nearly all of their crews. It all happened so quickly it caused the the Admiral in charge of the battlecruiser squadron, Admiral Beatty, to say “There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today.”

 

Battlecruisers were battleships that sacrificed armor for higher speed. British ones tended to have thinner deck armor which made them vulnerable to plunging fire. Hood was still a WW I design that followed the pattern of other battlecruisers. They modified the design while it was being built after the lessons of Jutland but all they did was thicken the existing armor, they didn’t add additional deck plating. So when it ran into its first fight against something with heavy guns firing from a distance so the shells were plunging into the deck it suffered the exact same fate as the other battlecruisers. 


Una nox dormienda - You only live once (but classier)





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users